Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456714 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 250 of 1339

Thread: Health Insurance and National Health Care

  1. #201
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Ridgecrest, CA-Middle of the Mojave Desert
    Posts
    2,469
    Thank GOD for Health Insurance. When my son had his reconstructive skull surgeries for Craniosynostosis we were taken aback at how much it cost.

    The first one was $175,000

    Second one was $ 95,000

    I was like Bloody Ell!!!

  2. #202
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,141
    That reminds me of the baby who needed the heart transplant (there is a thread somewhere)...

    1.2 mil. I think it was. WOW. Insane.

  3. #203
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    173
    Mine is pretty good. Free generic prescriptions which is really nice. Luckly, I have not had any major health problems.

  4. #204
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    6,838
    My parents SHOULD have excellent coverage as they have Medicare plus my dad's retired employee's benefits. Beyond that they are paying a $30.00 per visit co-pay for my mom's radiation. She goes 5 days a week. Something just isn't right.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

  5. #205
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    12,411
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    My parents SHOULD have excellent coverage as they have Medicare plus my dad's retired employee's benefits. Beyond that they are paying a $30.00 per visit co-pay for my mom's radiation. She goes 5 days a week. Something just isn't right.
    I agree Karma. I'm sorry and I know I will get a lot of flack over this but here it goes.
    A country as big as ours and we can't take care of the people who worked all their lives but we can take care of the people who make a living off of welfare, something is truly wrong with this picture.

  6. #206
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,307
    The irony of this is that health insurance for teens and 20-somethings is much, much cheaper than for us creaky old folks. No excuse not to get it. I had a colleague who was in his 20's. He cancelled his health insurance to save money. Of course, Murphy is a bastard and he contracted Hepatitis. His medical care was inadequate and he ended up passing away. What a waste.

  7. #207
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Minnesooooota!
    Posts
    9,876
    My health insurance is excellent.

    I actually only use it about half the time because I am a veteran and we have an excellent VA Hospital here. I have been a patient there since I got off active duty in the early 1990's.
    Winners are losers...who got up and gave it one more try ~ Dennis Deyoung

  8. #208
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    12,411
    I also have excellent health insurance and I am so thankful for that.

  9. #209
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,905

    Healthcare Insurance for everyone!

    It's been my dream to see the US finally get out from under the big insurance giants and be able to choose thier own low cost health insurance so that everyone can be insured.

    I know President Obama shares the same dream... I hope to see it happen soon. I saw a debate a few weeks ago where the speaker was in favor of the US having health care like the Canadians. What is the Canadian model? and is it working well in Canada?

    Discuss please. I know the Dr's are against it because they are not going to make tons of money becuase of the Medical Necessity factor. I'm a medical coder and dealt with this in my career. If a doctor orders a test that doesn't meet a criteria for being medically necesessary the doctor doesn't get paid and the hospital will have to bill the patient and probably eat the money for the test in the long run. Dr.'s don't want to deal with this in every sector of health care but I know that most commercial insurance companies are institutiing a medical necessity policy using the medicare model already so I really don't see where much would change on the billing end and the Dr.'s end. But on the positive we would see thousands who live without insurance and proper healthcare treatment finally get the care they need to live longer.

    discuss what are your views.

    Lisa

  10. #210
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,920
    We already have a national health plan....Medic-aid, or Medi-cal here in CA. the only thing is that with Medi-cal for instance, not everyone qualifies. As a matter of fact, even if you make a little money and aren't an 'immigrant', over 65 and blind, or under 21 and pregnant does one qualify. For real.

    I wonder what the difference will be? I wonder if this will be an option available to everyone, or just certain low income residents? Hmmm. I also wonder if it will ever really come to fruition....

  11. #211
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Newark, Delaware
    Posts
    4,079
    Medicare killed my father as far as I'm concerned. I have no use for a government run plan. I also have a problem with the fact that most people using Medicaid are abusing the system, taking away from those that truly need it. Our seniors are the ones suffering. Don't even get me started.


  12. #212
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,281
    I personally don't agree with government health care, free for everyone. In my eyes, we need to have reform of the current system.

    The Medicare abuse needs to stop.

    There needs to be something done about the able-bodied people who make welfare/medical assistance a way of life rather than a temporary help and perpetuate this throughout generations of their family.

    I strongly believe in tort reform. The frivilous lawsuits and astronomical jury awards need to stop. Insurance companies need to stop rolling over on their backs like turtles when they're approached by a blood-sucking personal injury lawyer.

    Workers Compensation reform is needed. Do you know, in many states, you can continue to collect WC even if you go to jail? I see this system abused all the time. The judges are far too "pro-employee", for the most part. I've seen clear cases of video surveillance thrown out and the payments continue because the judges won't put his/her foot down and say ENOUGH.

    There are so many factors that go into the cost of healthcare. It is not an easy fix, by any means.

    *rant over*
    Quote Originally Posted by stacebabe View Post
    The only reason I watched the entire thing was because I was wondering who the middle aged lesbian white woman was in the house full of Armenians. Then I found out it was Bruce Jenner.

  13. #213
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX.
    Posts
    3,049
    Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    I personally don't agree with government health care, free for everyone. In my eyes, we need to have reform of the current system.
    I agree 100%

  14. #214
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Gastonia, NC
    Posts
    2,284
    Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    I personally don't agree with government health care, free for everyone. In my eyes, we need to have reform of the current system.

    The Medicare abuse needs to stop.

    There needs to be something done about the able-bodied people who make welfare/medical assistance a way of life rather than a temporary help and perpetuate this throughout generations of their family.

    I strongly believe in tort reform. The frivilous lawsuits and astronomical jury awards need to stop. Insurance companies need to stop rolling over on their backs like turtles when they're approached by a blood-sucking personal injury lawyer.

    Workers Compensation reform is needed. Do you know, in many states, you can continue to collect WC even if you go to jail? I see this system abused all the time. The judges are far too "pro-employee", for the most part. I've seen clear cases of video surveillance thrown out and the payments continue because the judges won't put his/her foot down and say ENOUGH.

    There are so many factors that go into the cost of healthcare. It is not an easy fix, by any means.

    *rant over*

    Good...this saves me from typing too much!!!

    Does Barry Manilow know you raid his wardrobe?

  15. #215
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    367
    I dont know if this has been said, but here in Canada, health care is not "free". We all pay into it every month, and we also pay MUCH higher taxes than you Americans do, in part to cover the cost. Yes, if we have a serious issue, we can go to a hospital without fear of bankruptcy, and THAT is worth every penny. That being said, there is FAR too much abuse of the system, and the costs of healthcare is skyrocketing here as well. I know once, at least here in Alberta, there was talk of individuals having an "account", where there was an amount allocated (hypothetically), and for those who rarely needed to go to the doctor, would be rewarded at years end with cash back (since it saved money being used on health care). It never happened, but different scenario's are being tossed around all the time. I will never live anywhere else than Canada, JUST for the health care.
    I love dead people....

  16. #216
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    12,411
    Quote Originally Posted by Philliefan View Post
    Medicare killed my father as far as I'm concerned. I have no use for a government run plan. I also have a problem with the fact that most people using Medicaid are abusing the system, taking away from those that truly need it. Our seniors are the ones suffering. Don't even get me started.
    You are so right Phillie, our senior citizens get crap unless they can afford extra insurance besides Medicare, so sad that a country as big as ours cannot take care of people who worked all their lives, but the lazy ones that choose to live off the state get everything handed to them. Truly sad.

  17. #217
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,905
    When I was talking about Government Health care I wasn't referring to Medicaid and Medicare. I realize that the countries that do have universal healthcare pay alot in taxes I think either New Zealand or Greenland pay something like 50% of thier income for universal healthcare and free college education. In my eyes it's worth it. Thanks Frankie for giving us a view of Canadian Healthcare.

    Our Healthcare system is broken and we need to fix it somehow. I worked in the medical field for 11 years I worked in every aspect of the billing process and we seriously need to stop the For Profit Insurance companies in my opinion no one should be making a profit off of my multiple medical problems and a big chunk of "for profit" are Doctors. Every physician billing agency I've worked for was "for Profit" The hospitals I worked for were Non Profit.

    Regardless of our Capitalistic Health Care System or not the Government is craking down on how much physicians can collect with the NCD (National Coverage Determinations) which are policies set in place that these tests can only be run if they are medically necessesary which is how it's supposed to be in my opinion.

    I would like to see a Health Care System modeled after the Canadian Healthcare system in the US and Yes I would be willing to pay for it as long as when something bad happened you'll know you'll get treated and not have to worry about losing it all.

    Just my opinion.

  18. #218
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NoVa
    Posts
    5,181
    The waiting periods are too long with socialized health care. MUCH isn't covered at all. If you haven't done already, Google it to see the pros and cons.

    We do need an overhaul. But I don't personally want national health care. The quality of the services would suffer greatly.
    .
    .
    "So, what, no fuckin' ziti now?"

  19. #219
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,905
    I understand your point of View Cachluv. But Health Insurance here in the US seem to be costing the employee more out of his paycheck and less is being covered all the time.

    My husband is in a union. They are working on thier contract right now and our health insurance stinks... We have to pay for the first 3,000 of expenses for the 3 of us before the insurance kicks in yearly. My husband thinks "why even have it?" We had to pay out of pocket for my Carpal Tunnel Surgery this past January. We didnt know it then and then at the beginning of march the bills rolled in

    There has to be a better way...

    we make payments that's all we can do.

  20. #220
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northwest Ohio
    Posts
    3,251
    Sorry but, screw that. In 4/02 I had a ruptured brain surgery even with insurance trip to emergency room, life flight week stay in nicu wiped me out and financially I never recovered; 8 weeks off (standard is 8 months but I couldn't afford it) seven weeks for my disability to kick in. Plus my 20% after insurance for a brain in bad shape. Next thing to happen to me had better be fatal. And I am not fighting it. Besides I consider insurance the root of all evil.
    I do have fair life insurance through my job, enough to cover my funeral with pizza money left.

  21. #221
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Concord , California, United States
    Posts
    7,032
    Quote Originally Posted by cachluv View Post
    The waiting periods are too long with socialized health care. MUCH isn't covered at all. If you haven't done already, Google it to see the pros and cons.

    We do need an overhaul. But I don't personally want national health care. The quality of the services would suffer greatly.
    Im still doing reaearch on this topic but from what ive seen its a trainwreck of a plan. Long lines, costing employeers more which will prompt them to leave the country or close down, people being told they are too old and not worth that hip replacement, or kidney treatments that they need.

    Myself I have Kaiser Foundation coverage. Even now being without a job going on 9 months. I still manage to pay the preimum since its like car insurance, the moment you drop it will be when you need it most. Despite never seeing a doctor since the early 1980s for my Boy Scout physical I stilll have it. Socialized health care will kill off the private companies such as Kaiser.
    Im still reading about this health care system but from what ive seen I dont like it at all.

  22. #222
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    6,838
    Medicare and Medi-cal saved my life. I was a single mother with an 8 year old child. It came to the point that I could no longer work. I went into a diabetic coma. My parents were told by my Dr. that it was not likely I would last much longer. This Dr. did all he could for me and saved my life. I have had many, many hospitalizations, just twice in May. For those of you who think you do not qualify give it a try. You might be surprised. May God Bless you.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

  23. #223
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,594
    The whole system sucks!! I pay $650 a month b/c I am self employed, and have a history of among various things, kidney stones, high blood pressure, and thyroid foolishness. Now, because I had a pre-melanoma spot removed, I am sick over how much they may raise it.

    I am torn over the expense (which does help at tax time) and the fact that, if I go without, it may be difficult to impossible to find coverage in the future, and the possibility that I could have some sort of catastrophic injury or illness. I really cannot afford it, and don't know if the student loans will go unpaid, or what to do.

    I also derive my entire income from insurance company reimbursements, and I am sure my interactions with them do not help my blood pressure. Medicare/Medicaid will not allow me on their panels because I do not fit in their social work box, despite having an entirely equal education, and despite the serious lack of mental health providers overall. I have colleagues that can participate, but refuse to, not becuse of the amount of reimbursement, but because the application and claims processing parts are so difficult.

    I'm not entirely sure now what my point was, except to express frustration and anxiety over my own situation, and fear that overall the system will get worse.

    **Rant over**

  24. #224
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    9,337
    Quote Originally Posted by cachluv View Post
    The waiting periods are too long with socialized health care. MUCH isn't covered at all. If you haven't done already, Google it to see the pros and cons.

    We do need an overhaul. But I don't personally want national health care. The quality of the services would suffer greatly.
    Hey you! Great to hear from ya. Here's my view, as someone who has lived his whole life with what's called universal healthcare: I agree with you - to some extent.
    As you know, I'm a conservative. If I was an American, I'd be a card-carrying member of the GOP. Nevertheless, I do believe that a national, taxpayer-funded healthcare system - however flawed - is an absolute necessity if we're to fulfill our obligations as humane societies. Everyone needs access to healthcare, without question or out-of-pocket expense. Personal health is so important - in the same league as clean drinking water, or education - that it needs to be in the hands of the federal government. And as a conservative I do not say that about many things.
    The US is in a unique position here though. It can learn from the mistakes of the other nations that have universal healthcare systems. One of those mistakes has to do with the attitudes of the people who use it. Contrary to popular belief in Canada, we don't have "free" healthcare. I pay for it, in both elevated personal taxes, and extra fees. People begin using hospitals as doctors' offices. That overloads the system and leads to big increases in the expense to governments of delivering healthcare. The cost of staff and technology upgrades drives that cost up even further. And who pays for this in the end? I do, for the simple reason that I have job.
    At this point, we have a serious doctor shortage. Why work in Canada and be paid, essentially, a salary by the state when you can go elsewhere and charge what you want? Here in Ontario, a province of about 12 million people, almost a million have no family doctor. That's disgraceful, imo.
    On the flip side, many people - myself included - have scars because they refuse to go to emerg, when they really should. I know that if I go to the hospital with a bad cut, I'll be sitting there for a minimum of 4 hours. Screw it. If I'm conscious, you will not find me at emerg. That's a bad attitude, but it's fuelled by experience.
    And you're absolutely right when you say much is not covered at all. The list of what IS covered is growing shorter all the time. For instance, if I break my arm, the doctor at the hospital will repair it. But before I leave, I'll have to shell out $40 for the cost of the cast.
    A final thought about wait times: On July 23rd, I have an appointment with a retinal surgeon. My eye doctor had been trying to set this up since January of 2008. He finally got me an appointment in May of '09. My eyesight has deteriorated significantly since that first attempt to set up an appointment. When I arrived for that appointment - set for 11 a.m. - I was met by a sign that said "expect to wait 2 - 4 hours" I waited four. He saw me for roughly 5 minutes, then sent me away for tests. One of those tests would not be carried out unless I paid - by VISA, Mastercard or direct withdrawal - $150. I didn't have it. That test has been re-scheduled for July 23rd. I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, my vision is getting worse...

    So in a nutshell, I believe in the principal of universal healthcare. I just don't believe in our model. I really hope the Americans come up with a more effective one. In any event, something better than the status quo is needed there.
    Fuck Off. We're Full.

  25. #225
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,281
    Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    I personally don't agree with government health care, free for everyone. In my eyes, we need to have reform of the current system.

    The Medicare abuse needs to stop.

    There needs to be something done about the able-bodied people who make welfare/medical assistance a way of life rather than a temporary help and perpetuate this throughout generations of their family.

    I strongly believe in tort reform. The frivilous lawsuits and astronomical jury awards need to stop. Insurance companies need to stop rolling over on their backs like turtles when they're approached by a blood-sucking personal injury lawyer.

    Workers Compensation reform is needed. Do you know, in many states, you can continue to collect WC even if you go to jail? I see this system abused all the time. The judges are far too "pro-employee", for the most part. I've seen clear cases of video surveillance thrown out and the payments continue because the judges won't put his/her foot down and say ENOUGH.

    There are so many factors that go into the cost of healthcare. It is not an easy fix, by any means.

    *rant over*
    Quote Originally Posted by stacebabe View Post
    The only reason I watched the entire thing was because I was wondering who the middle aged lesbian white woman was in the house full of Armenians. Then I found out it was Bruce Jenner.

  26. #226
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    On this forum, obviously!
    Posts
    4,259
    In my opinion, everything that the Feds have a hand in - be it Dems or GOP - gets screwed to hell and back. I have no reason whatsoever to believe universal healthcare will be any different.
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

  27. #227
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,905
    Quote Originally Posted by tarsier View Post
    Sorry but, screw that. In 4/02 I had a ruptured brain surgery even with insurance trip to emergency room, life flight week stay in nicu wiped me out and financially I never recovered; 8 weeks off (standard is 8 months but I couldn't afford it) seven weeks for my disability to kick in. Plus my 20% after insurance for a brain in bad shape. Next thing to happen to me had better be fatal. And I am not fighting it. Besides I consider insurance the root of all evil.
    I do have fair life insurance through my job, enough to cover my funeral with pizza money left.
    Oh my goodness!! I'm so sorry to hear that.

  28. #228
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,905
    Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    Hey you! Great to hear from ya. Here's my view, as someone who has lived his whole life with what's called universal healthcare: I agree with you - to some extent.
    As you know, I'm a conservative. If I was an American, I'd be a card-carrying member of the GOP. Nevertheless, I do believe that a national, taxpayer-funded healthcare system - however flawed - is an absolute necessity if we're to fulfill our obligations as humane societies. Everyone needs access to healthcare, without question or out-of-pocket expense. Personal health is so important - in the same league as clean drinking water, or education - that it needs to be in the hands of the federal government. And as a conservative I do not say that about many things.
    The US is in a unique position here though. It can learn from the mistakes of the other nations that have universal healthcare systems. One of those mistakes has to do with the attitudes of the people who use it. Contrary to popular belief in Canada, we don't have "free" healthcare. I pay for it, in both elevated personal taxes, and extra fees. People begin using hospitals as doctors' offices. That overloads the system and leads to big increases in the expense to governments of delivering healthcare. The cost of staff and technology upgrades drives that cost up even further. And who pays for this in the end? I do, for the simple reason that I have job.
    At this point, we have a serious doctor shortage. Why work in Canada and be paid, essentially, a salary by the state when you can go elsewhere and charge what you want? Here in Ontario, a province of about 12 million people, almost a million have no family doctor. That's disgraceful, imo.
    On the flip side, many people - myself included - have scars because they refuse to go to emerg, when they really should. I know that if I go to the hospital with a bad cut, I'll be sitting there for a minimum of 4 hours. Screw it. If I'm conscious, you will not find me at emerg. That's a bad attitude, but it's fuelled by experience.
    And you're absolutely right when you say much is not covered at all. The list of what IS covered is growing shorter all the time. For instance, if I break my arm, the doctor at the hospital will repair it. But before I leave, I'll have to shell out $40 for the cost of the cast.
    A final thought about wait times: On July 23rd, I have an appointment with a retinal surgeon. My eye doctor had been trying to set this up since January of 2008. He finally got me an appointment in May of '09. My eyesight has deteriorated significantly since that first attempt to set up an appointment. When I arrived for that appointment - set for 11 a.m. - I was met by a sign that said "expect to wait 2 - 4 hours" I waited four. He saw me for roughly 5 minutes, then sent me away for tests. One of those tests would not be carried out unless I paid - by VISA, Mastercard or direct withdrawal - $150. I didn't have it. That test has been re-scheduled for July 23rd. I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, my vision is getting worse...

    So in a nutshell, I believe in the principal of universal healthcare. I just don't believe in our model. I really hope the Americans come up with a more effective one. In any event, something better than the status quo is needed there.
    Duster,

    thank you so much for your input. Wow, I know we need an overhaul of the healthcare system in the US but Sounds like Canada needs an overhaul as well.

    I'm not so sure about Universal healthcare now...

    thanks again

  29. #229
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Newark, Delaware
    Posts
    4,079
    Why people could just be like my ex in-laws! Just don't pay your medical bills. File bankruptcy! Or as soon as you start a new job, when your new insurance kicks in, quit, so you don't have to pay! Sorry, I'm not into paying for other peoples healthcare. I work damn hard for my money and pay for mine and my childrens - I'll HELP pay for seniors, children and honestly disabled people, but damnit - I'm not gonna pay for some lazy bum who won't get a job. I do NOT believe everyone is entitled to health care. That's the problem with this world today - everyone feels they are ENTITLED. Sorry. There are ways to make money. Things are not hopeless. Sell Avon. Sell Tupperware. Work for a living! And I will repeat - medicare killed my father - they chose not to pay for something TWICE that he needed and he died because of that.


  30. #230
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    12,411
    Quote Originally Posted by Philliefan View Post
    Why people could just be like my ex in-laws! Just don't pay your medical bills. File bankruptcy! Or as soon as you start a new job, when your new insurance kicks in, quit, so you don't have to pay! Sorry, I'm not into paying for other peoples healthcare. I work damn hard for my money and pay for mine and my childrens - I'll HELP pay for seniors, children and honestly disabled people, but damnit - I'm not gonna pay for some lazy bum who won't get a job. I do NOT believe everyone is entitled to health care. That's the problem with this world today - everyone feels they are ENTITLED. Sorry. There are ways to make money. Things are not hopeless. Sell Avon. Sell Tupperware. Work for a living! And I will repeat - medicare killed my father - they chose not to pay for something TWICE that he needed and he died because of that.
    You are so right, people have that mentality that they are owed something and that is so wrong. I work and have healthcare, dental,eye, and a great drug plan, but even then,I still have to pay some out of the pocket for my son's meds and I'm talking over $100. while some people who make a living off of being on welfare go and pay squat, they do not care to get a job but look at our paychecks and see how much of what we earn gets taken out toward that.
    I am so sorry about your Dad Hon, no one should ever had to go through that.
    Last edited by guardmom2008; 06-18-2009 at 06:59 PM.

  31. #231
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Newark, Delaware
    Posts
    4,079
    Thanks Lisa.


  32. #232
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    12,969
    Some days, you get the Bear, other days the Bear gets you.

  33. #233
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Newark, Delaware
    Posts
    4,079
    ^^ bingo!


  34. #234
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    Hey you! Great to hear from ya. Here's my view, as someone who has lived his whole life with what's called universal healthcare: I agree with you - to some extent.
    As you know, I'm a conservative. If I was an American, I'd be a card-carrying member of the GOP. Nevertheless, I do believe that a national, taxpayer-funded healthcare system - however flawed - is an absolute necessity if we're to fulfill our obligations as humane societies. Everyone needs access to healthcare, without question or out-of-pocket expense. Personal health is so important - in the same league as clean drinking water, or education - that it needs to be in the hands of the federal government. And as a conservative I do not say that about many things.
    The US is in a unique position here though. It can learn from the mistakes of the other nations that have universal healthcare systems. One of those mistakes has to do with the attitudes of the people who use it. Contrary to popular belief in Canada, we don't have "free" healthcare. I pay for it, in both elevated personal taxes, and extra fees. People begin using hospitals as doctors' offices. That overloads the system and leads to big increases in the expense to governments of delivering healthcare. The cost of staff and technology upgrades drives that cost up even further. And who pays for this in the end? I do, for the simple reason that I have job.
    At this point, we have a serious doctor shortage. Why work in Canada and be paid, essentially, a salary by the state when you can go elsewhere and charge what you want? Here in Ontario, a province of about 12 million people, almost a million have no family doctor. That's disgraceful, imo.
    On the flip side, many people - myself included - have scars because they refuse to go to emerg, when they really should. I know that if I go to the hospital with a bad cut, I'll be sitting there for a minimum of 4 hours. Screw it. If I'm conscious, you will not find me at emerg. That's a bad attitude, but it's fuelled by experience.
    And you're absolutely right when you say much is not covered at all. The list of what IS covered is growing shorter all the time. For instance, if I break my arm, the doctor at the hospital will repair it. But before I leave, I'll have to shell out $40 for the cost of the cast.
    A final thought about wait times: On July 23rd, I have an appointment with a retinal surgeon. My eye doctor had been trying to set this up since January of 2008. He finally got me an appointment in May of '09. My eyesight has deteriorated significantly since that first attempt to set up an appointment. When I arrived for that appointment - set for 11 a.m. - I was met by a sign that said "expect to wait 2 - 4 hours" I waited four. He saw me for roughly 5 minutes, then sent me away for tests. One of those tests would not be carried out unless I paid - by VISA, Mastercard or direct withdrawal - $150. I didn't have it. That test has been re-scheduled for July 23rd. I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, my vision is getting worse...

    So in a nutshell, I believe in the principal of universal healthcare. I just don't believe in our model. I really hope the Americans come up with a more effective one. In any event, something better than the status quo is needed there.
    Good comment, Duster. You are so right, the US has to come up with some plan for universal health insurance that's affordable for everyone. Too many people die in the US simply because they can't afford health care.

    Health care in the US is 50% higher than in other developed countries, yet the care is worse. Terrible situation for such a wealthy country.

  35. #235
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    What does socialism have to do with it? Setting up a system to help everyone have access to affordable health insurance is a good idea. Giving everyone a choice of buying insurance from a government program like Medicare is an even better idea.

    Did you know that in the old days, businesses used to have to pay for fire insurance, to cover the cost of having someone put out a fire? When they couldn't afford it any longer, communities came up with a solution - its called the Fire Department. Seems to work pretty well.

  36. #236
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Demgirl View Post
    Good comment, Duster. You are so right, the US has to come up with some plan for universal health insurance that's affordable for everyone. Too many people die in the US simply because they can't afford health care.

    Health care in the US is 50% higher than in other developed countries, yet the care is worse. Terrible situation for such a wealthy country.

    Duster, I just saw your post. Thanks for some info from someone who lives it. I don't have many acquaintances from Canada, but those I do have pretty much echo your experiences. I think too many of us Americans are under the misconception that you all can just breeze into a hospital and get everything handled, quickly, gratis. Obviously nowhere near the truth. Still doesn't answer the dilemma as to the solution, but good info none the less.
    Quote Originally Posted by stacebabe View Post
    The only reason I watched the entire thing was because I was wondering who the middle aged lesbian white woman was in the house full of Armenians. Then I found out it was Bruce Jenner.

  37. #237
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Concord , California, United States
    Posts
    7,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Demgirl View Post
    What does socialism have to do with it? Setting up a system to help everyone have access to affordable health insurance is a good idea. Giving everyone a choice of buying insurance from a government program like Medicare is an even better idea.

    Did you know that in the old days, businesses used to have to pay for fire insurance, to cover the cost of having someone put out a fire? When they couldn't afford it any longer, communities came up with a solution - its called the Fire Department. Seems to work pretty well.

    I think he only posted the graphic because Obama is nationalizing everything. The government now owns 70% of GM and Chrysler, hes got all the major banks for the most part tied to the government with his massive bailouts and the housing industry is also run by the government. Theres people I know who have said theyll never buy another General Motors car or truck because its now governmemt run. In an ideal capitolist society, if GM, Chrysler or the banks fail theyd just say thats business goes and wed allow them to fade away.

    The government has managed to screw up social security up so badly its expected to run out before 2020. medicare has been run into the ground by the government, would I trust them when they say they want government run health care ?? No way.


    Also it is just another hand out for the moochers. The ones who have 2nd and 3rd plus generation wel-fare or GA can work but dont want to who would rather get a free check every month for nothing. Why would I want to pay for these people ?


    Its against federal law for any hospital to deney anyone care simply because they have nio insurance or they cant afford it.

  38. #238
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    583

    Health Bill Passed!!

    This country is sooo screwed!
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

  39. #239
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    30,694
    Quote Originally Posted by MIZIZVOGUE View Post
    This country is sooo screwed!
    The citizens of The United States Of America have been screwed for a long time (many decades) just cuz you've opened your eyes at this point doesnt mean you've made some sort of discovery.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

  40. #240
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    533
    At last, some help for us who don't have health coverage.

  41. #241
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    583
    Quote Originally Posted by davidbrown View Post
    At last, some help for us who don't have health coverage.
    I don't want to have to pay for YOUR healthcare AND my own.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

  42. #242
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,349
    The whole thing gives me a headache. I don't know which end is up or who to believe anymore.
    This, however, I am sure of: I absolutely detest Nancy Pelosi.



  43. #243
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by davidbrown View Post
    At last, some help for us who don't have health coverage.

    and those who are up to their necks in medical bills like myself.
    http://www.findadeath.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1752&dateline=1264924651

  44. #244
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,441
    Quote Originally Posted by davidbrown View Post
    At last, some help for us who don't have health coverage.
    amen to that my brother!! I've been without any health care for over a year, I've paid all my life for some sort of health care, then when the Stock Market took a nose dive in the shitter I lost my job and had the option of paying it all with the COBRA plan?? Yeah $1400.00 a month when I was signing up for a mere $400.00 a week before taxes? I have a new job but still no health care, whatever I can get from this is better then nothing at all?

  45. #245
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wolfsschanze
    Posts
    7,886
    Quote Originally Posted by MIZIZVOGUE View Post
    I don't want to have to pay for YOUR healthcare AND my own.
    So you would rather get your rates hiked 5-40% a year to a industry that made a 859 billion dollar profit last year? I don't mind paying a little more taxes to help out. I thought the conservatives were the ones claiming to be the one with the high morals and the christian values.
    Last edited by JefeStone; 03-21-2010 at 11:46 PM.

  46. #246
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by simon69 View Post
    , whatever I can get from this is better then nothing at all?
    Agreed.
    http://www.findadeath.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1752&dateline=1264924651

  47. #247
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    So you would rather get your rates hiked 5-40% a year to a industry that made a 859 billion dollar profit last year? I don't mind paying a little more taxes to help out. And I thought the conservatives were the ones claiming to be the one with the high morals and the christian values.
    Agreed also.
    http://www.findadeath.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1752&dateline=1264924651

  48. #248
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    30,694
    Quote Originally Posted by MIZIZVOGUE View Post
    I don't want to have to pay for YOUR healthcare AND my own.
    I hope you are never in a situaution in which you arent able perform either task.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

  49. #249
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    I hope you are never in a situaution in which you arent able perform either task.

    Exactly. Right now I am filing for chapter 13 because I racked up my effing credit cards in order in pay for prescriptions and treatments/tests (I have Lupus, allergies, severe anemia and who knows what else) that my insurance did not cover thanks to ridiculous deductibles or not eligible under my coverage. It should not be this way.
    http://www.findadeath.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1752&dateline=1264924651

  50. #250
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Petaluma Ca
    Posts
    4,847
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    The citizens of The United States Of America have been screwed for a long time (many decades) just cuz you've opened your eyes at this point doesnt mean you've made some sort of discovery.

    LOL!

    Well said

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •