Thread: Robert Moog

Danny62 Guest

Robert Moog

Electronic music pioneer, inventor of the Moog synthesizer. The holder of a Ph.D in Engineering Physics from Cornell University, he perfected the art of making synthesized music. Moog's analog synthesizers were used by some of the top rock bands, from the 70's trio Emerson Lake & Palmer, to Sting and the Police in the 80's and 90's. He received a Grammy Trustees Award in 1970 for his contribution to modern music, and was the holder of many other awards worldwide.

May 23, 1934-Aug 21, 2005

Inoperable Brain Tumor

lil_zino Guest
    Or as my husband likes to call him "The greatest genius who ever lived". Which is a pretty true statement IMHO.

Jazbabee Guest
    Can't even imagine music without his contributions !

Noor 7ayaty Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    Can't even imagine music without his contributions !
    No kidding! Those who doubt the power of Moog should see the movie "Moog." Then you'll realize how many of his inventions revolutionized many aspects of the music industry. "Moog" was running as recently as about ten days ago on Showtime. I firmly believe everyone ~ not just musicians ~ will find it to be VERY interesting. Great for computer enthusiasts as well.

As for genuii though .. I tend to lean toward folks like Da Vinci, Mozart, and especially Nickolai Tesla. An incredible book on Tesla is "Man Out of Time" (I think that's the title) by Margaret Cheney. When Tesla died, pretty much all of his notes (that were known of) were quickly taken by US intelligence services. It didn't help that Tesla invented a type of electricity that would have been 100% free to anyone ... energy barons the world over were pretty frightened at that invention alone, and Tesla had tons of them.

To this day, scientists have been unable to recreate some of the experiments Tesla did. He was well known for producing "ball lightening" in his lab; he handled it in front of countless witnesses, and even rolled it over his body without it burning him. The closest anyone's gotten in decades to recreating ball lightening in a lab, has been a flash that lasts for a millisecond before smashing the equipment underneath. Tesla's successes have plagued scientists for decades. Mark Twain was a friend and witnessed many of Tesla's inventions. In fact many of such, like the infamous Tesla Coil, remain in use today.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    without him the world could have been spared bands like A Flock Of Seagulls.

Oh man,don't fuck wit de flock.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Oh man,don't fuck wit de flock.

LMFAO!!!! man, I just shot milk out of my nose. THANKS!!

I sorta remember the eighties.Good times,good times.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.