Thread: Billy Preston

Danny62 Guest

Billy Preston

A soul musician from Houston, Texas, he was teen prodigy on piano and organ who eventually was mentored by and played with Ray Charles. Often called the Fifth Beatle because he played keyboards for the Beatles on "Let It Be," "The White Album" and "Abbey Road" and was the only guest artist to get a credit on a Beatles single when "Get Back" was credited as "The Beatles with Billy Preston" and entered the United Kingdom's Singles Chart at number one. Also performed frequently with the Rolling Stones and on their hit song "Miss You," and often played with Eric Clapton. His own hits include "Nothing From Nothing," "Will It Go Round in Circles," the international hit "You Are So Beautiful" and "Outta Space" which won best instrumental Grammy in 1973. Most recently played on the 2005 re-release of the album "The Concert for Bangladesh" by long-time friend George Harrison, and Friends, and in Stadium Arcadium on the Red Hot Chili Peppers' album "Warlocks" in 2006. His discography lists 38 albums, 18 of them solo performances. He was the first musician guest to appear on Saturday Night Live, in 1975. Died in Scottsdale, Arizona, of long-term complications from kidney failure related to malignant hypertension.

Sep 2, 1946-Jun 6, 2006

magblax Guest
    "Will It Go Round in Circles" is a great song! My favorite of his!!

ScottyMonger Guest
    He stole the show at the Concert for Bangladesh with his performance of "That's the way God planned it".

I'd vote him the "6th Beatle", I think George Martin deserves "5th Beatle".

onehunglow Guest

Get back

Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    "Will It Go Round in Circles" is a great song! My favorite of his!!
    That was some playing. A true loss.

magblax Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyMonger View Post
    He stole the show at the Concert for Bangladesh with his performance of "That's the way God planned it".

I'd vote him the "6th Beatle", I think George Martin deserves "5th Beatle".

I thought Eddie Murphy was the 5th Beatle.

Tebssis Guest
    Danny, you really think of some great posts! Used to love to dance to Will It Go Round In Circles back in the 70s. Thanks for reminding me of Billys great talent, solo and with practically any band that was anybody back then.

Jazbabee Guest
    Awesome talent, and I believe often overlooked !!

Death Hag Chris Guest
    he was amazing on the Stones albums back in the 70's.

Cathy J. Guest
    I seem to remember hearing back in the mid 90s where Preston was involved in some child sex sting. I searched online about this but didn't see anything but I am pretty sure I remember hearing about this back then.

Oh, Preston was great in Sargent Pepper ( the Bee Gees/Peter Frampton movie ).
    I also remember watching him on a few kids shows back in the early 70s doing Nothing for Nothing and Outta Space. Shows like Sesame Street and Wonderama with Bob McAllister.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy J. View Post
    Oh, Preston was great in Sargent Pepper ( the Bee Gees/Peter Frampton movie ).

you sure you wanna admit seeing that movie?

billy guests ,when he is maybe 12 years old on the nat king cole show,which still airs,dueting on blueberry hill.

billys performance in sgt. pepper is one of[only?] highlite of the show. i only saw it on cable,and could only watch short sections at a time.

Northern Lights Guest

Forever-27 Guest
    I thought there was like another thread on him already. Hes incredible. He didnt go along with the disco crap of the day in the 70s. He was great. A shame he fell into drugs but still managed to clumb out of all that. One of the most underated black musicans ever. Aside from Ike and Tina Turner hes one of the few black musicans I actually enjoy listening to. He was a very talented man.

Nothing from Nothing is my favorote song. Billys piano jams in that song

Fancynancy Guest
    Will It Go Round in Circles--I remember for awhile I thought it was called Willie Go Round in Circles!

TheLazenby Guest
    I don't care that it caused a major flaw (yes, people have bitched for decades about how Sgt. Pepper was reincarnated as a black dude somehow), but Billy does steal the show in that movie.

GrinReaper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLazenby View Post
    I don't care that it caused a major flaw (yes, people have bitched for decades about how Sgt. Pepper was reincarnated as a black dude somehow), but Billy does steal the show in that movie.
    I think he looks ridiculous dancing around and zapping things.
    The whole movie is bad and silly and not even Preston can save it IMO.

Other than that I can dig him and his keys he did for The Beatles and George Harrison.