Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Layne Staley 2

Bassetlover09 Guest
    Hey guys I have a question...I was reading "Grunge Is Dead" last night (for the umpteenth time) and I read a part that said Layne hung around quite a big with Kirk Cobain. I had always heard that he hardly knew the guy. So I wonder what the deal is with that? Does anyone else know anything about this?

2. 10-16-2009, 07:25 PM
    Reason
    Still not listening.

dentists Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassetlover09 View Post
    Hey guys I have a question...I was reading "Grunge Is Dead" last night (for the umpteenth time) and I read a part that said Layne hung around quite a big with Kirk Cobain. I had always heard that he hardly knew the guy. So I wonder what the deal is with that? Does anyone else know anything about this?
    First of all it's Kurt Cobain not "Kirk".
    Yes they were friends. Kurt's favorite Seattle band was Alice in Chains, in the press though, he said otherwise.
    Toward the end of Kurt's life he actually tried to write songs that were AIC-esque. "You Know You're Right" sounds like AIC, & Cobain told Courtney Love that he wrote "The sickest Alice in Chains song".
    If you don't believe me read the Rolling Stone article that came out when Layne died-not the Layne story, but the Nirvana article.
    Also read the book "Nirvana: The True Story" by Everett True (Kurt's friend) it goes on to talk about Layne & Kurt's friendship. Also read the Mike Starr book "Unchained" - Kurt was a HUGE fan of AIC.
    Also there is a youtube video where Kurt Cobain says straight-up "I shot speed with Alice in Chains in Brazil"
    Last edited by dentists; 10-16-2009 at 07:35 PM.

Hey guys, how about sticking to Layne Staley? There's already a thread about Kurt.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

dentists Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    Hey guys, how about sticking to Layne Staley? There's already a thread about Kurt.
    I was talking about Lamb Stanley.
    I was just brining up Kirk Kokain too.
    At least I wasn't going on and on about how sexy he was ugh...
    I'm getting micro-managed after work. fun

Again, if you do not agree with the rules on this forum, there are outlets on the Internet for whatever is your passion. The rules are here for a reason, they will be followed. And if you don't like them, you don't have to stay here.
    Last edited by Nessa; 10-16-2009 at 08:43 PM. Reason: puncuation
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

wdhebert Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotablue View Post
    Boy, I have missed the Layne thread even for just a few days. That said, I wonder why a lot of the old posts are up here at the start? As Long Gone Day already pointed out, it will certainly be tedious for Layne fans who were active on the first thread to have to go through all the missing teeth--amputated arm--paint cans stuff again. For anyone new to this: I think it was established that Layne had paint cans all over his condo because he was working on art projects. Not huffing.
    Where was it established that Layne was not huffing? I think it was established that he was definitely doing more artwork in the days leading up to his death...but I'm sorry, I totally think he was huffing. Sometimes the "hard drugs" don't get the desired high, and my theory is that he needed the additional rush to get higher.

"The intoxication effects occur so quickly that the effects of inhalation can resemble the intensity of effects produced by intravenous injection of other psychoactive drugs.[3]" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inhalant)

aliceinnirvana Guest
    I was just wondering how the Layne thing started here? I mean did a bunch of Layne fans just happen to be on this forum or what?

RodeoQueen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceinnirvana View Post
    I was just wondering how the Layne thing started here? I mean did a bunch of Layne fans just happen to be on this forum or what?
    Well as for me, I was looking for info on Layne and FAD came up in the search, so I checked it out, liked it & signed up. I have learned a lot about Layne's life from this board, I will definitely say that!

Quote Originally Posted by wdhebert View Post
    Where was it established that Layne was not huffing? I think it was established that he was definitely doing more artwork in the days leading up to his death...but I'm sorry, I totally think he was huffing. Sometimes the "hard drugs" don't get the desired high, and my theory is that he needed the additional rush to get higher.
    I agree with you. I've always thought it would be difficult to create a cartoon using spray paint. So, it's not crazy to believe that those cans were there for some other purpose.

brizerker Guest
    I agree with that too, KCBee.

Does anyone know more about the Tanya Vece biography about Layne? It is supposedly about his last days, but that's all I've heard other than it may have been cancelled. Thanks to anyone who knows. (EDIT: I found info in the old thread. Yay for searching! EDIT 2: But if there is new info about the book then please do post about it. )

Oh and I think it's worth mentioning that images being posted can have thumbnails - Photobucket does this for sure, and I think this board has a thumbnail system too...?
    Last edited by brizerker; 10-19-2009 at 01:14 PM.

c l p Guest
    RIP

Cadence71 Guest
    I've always wondered what he looked like when they found him. Had to be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadence71 View Post
    I've always wondered what he looked like when they found him. Had to be interesting.
    Can you imagine?? And didn't his Mom and Step Father go in with the police?? I can't imagine seeing my child like that. He had to have looked pretty bad in his final years, he was looking awful in 1997 add 5 years of hard drug abuse to that.

Cadence71 Guest
    Yeah, like what, two or three weeks out? Bet Sherwin Williams don't make that color. And the smell??? Wonder what that was like!

aliceinnirvana Guest
    I can't even begin to imagine how his mother must of felt seeing her son dead like that. That must still haunt her.

wdhebert Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by brizerker View Post
    Does anyone know more about the Tanya Vece biography about Layne? It is supposedly about his last days, but that's all I've heard other than it may have been cancelled. Thanks to anyone who knows. (EDIT: I found info in the old thread. Yay for searching! EDIT 2: But if there is new info about the book then please do post about it. )
    Tayna's book will never come out because she is a crazy, lying B. Her release date keeps getting pushed back and back...and she is very defensive about the whole thing. If she wants people to believe her, she needs to publish it already! Otherwise, she's crazy...she's a liar...and she's a B.

salice Guest
    I'm still working my way through the original thread. AIC was the only band out of Seattle that I dug from the first moment I heard them.

aliceinnirvana Guest
    Tayna's book will never come out because she is a crazy, lying B. Her release date keeps getting pushed back and back...and she is very defensive about the whole thing. If she wants people to believe her, she needs to publish it already! Otherwise, she's crazy...she's a liar...and she's a B.
    Well said

RodeoQueen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceinnirvana View Post
    I can't even begin to imagine how his mother must of felt seeing her son dead like that. That must still haunt her.
    Geez, tell me about it. I give a lot of deference to her because of that. Although she was once quoted as saying that she could recognize him, even in that state; that to her eyes it still looked like her son. So, so sad

wdhebert Guest
    Kudos to Nancy for putting on a brave face for the public, but there is no way in hell his eyes even looked like anything human...not after two weeks! But what an awful sight for her to see, nonetheless.

This link may have been posted before but it was a first for me and I found it interesting: http://www.artspublicationsbooks.com...ok_inside.html

Even the author of this book thought his Mother's way of helping him was wrong and she was writing the book.
    "There’s another thing I found interesting to comment about and it is related to this book as a “recovery tool” for Layne Staley. His mother thought a book would work as a tool for recovery. Layne needed medical and professional assistance, not a book to read and enjoy, according to his mother words, the “sweetest stories” of their time together, and which he never spoke about. His lyrics and poetry prove that the way he felt the path of his life was totally different."

alygonforchains Guest
    Layne Staley was a beautiful person, but also a very troubled soul. I just wish he would've seeked the help that would have been available had he known how to help himself. He is, by far, my favorite singer. His voice is like no other, and will always be one of a kind. RIP! (but to get a hold of the death pictures - ICK - but so exciting 0 we can only wish)

Great find, itsjustme. I don't think that linked has been posted before. If it has, I never read it.

Poor Nancy, she seems so out of touch. I know she suffered, as a mother. But, I don't get how passive she was regarding Layne's recovery.

Maybe she operates through passive aggression or maybe she takes the stance: If I ignore it, it will go away. She seemed to think that she could make Layne's biodad dissapear by acting like he was dead. In the end, I think that particular strategy backfired. I believe Layne's initial loss of his father affected him deeply, then his father's return probably screwed him up beyond belief -- emotionally, that is.

grrrnay Guest
    I had never seen that page either, but frankly it reinforces my thoughts that Rubino had limited contact with Layne. Maybe it is due to the language barrier, but the "quotes" from Layne continue to be phrased in a way that he never talked.

That being said, I find it funny that she uses a *quote* from Layne about not judging until you have"walked in his shoes" in the same breath that she judges what Nancy ""should have done" for her son.

It is really easy to sit and play armchair quarterback when you are not in the situation or in hindsight. When you are walking that path, it is a different story. Trust me. You don't know what is right or what will work. On top of that, Nancy was faced with a bevy of contracts and legal obligations that kept Layne feeling like his life was not his own. Add that into the mix, and really, who really out there has the knowledge and experience to say what needed to be done. Sure, Nancy might have not always made the best choices, but I think she did the best she could with the tools she had at the time. She has learned alot since then, and tries to share that knowledge to help others. What a great testament to the love she has for her son adn family. As always, just my thoughts. BTW, I could not have said it better about Vece's book.

RodeoQueen Guest
    Kudos to Nancy for putting on a brave face for the public, but there is no way in hell his eyes even looked like anything human...not after two weeks! But what an awful sight for her to see, nonetheless.
    lol, sorry, I think I was clear as mud in that post What I was saying was that in Nancy's opinion Layne's body still looked like her son even two weeks later. And no, eyes would not last that long! I have always pictured him with his eyes closed, though. God, for her to say that tells me he looked just horrible in the last years of his life

brizerker Guest
    I have been thinking about getting Mike Starr's book called "Unchained: The Story of Mike Starr and His Rise and Fall in Alice In Chains" as it would undoubtedly give more insight on Layne as well as the band's environments. All I can find are $50 copies, though. :\

Fairly recently, I saw Layne's "Above" artwork sell in a Christie's auction. I feel bad for Layne's mom, who has said before that she finds herself buying back things that were stolen. It's really sad.

stinkythejokedog Guest
    I liked the AIC...I'm just curious as to what LS does for the ladies...not judging...just curious

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkythejokedog View Post
    I liked the AIC...I'm just curious as to what LS does for the ladies...not judging...just curious
    I liked their music, too. I'll prolly get drawn and quartered for saying this, but looks-wise he does nothing for me. Maybe its because I was never into blonds.

Lisa03 Guest
    For me, Layne had this powerful voice that made me drawn to him. I loved the way he pour his heart & soul into the songs

To each his/her own, but too skinny and drawn for my taste.

- R.H. Sin

Too dead for my tastes.

MrsLayneStaley1201 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkythejokedog View Post
    I'd much rather respond to this post than go to class, so here it goes! I'm physically attracted to Layne for these reasons:

1) His hair. I go gaga for blondes. And those curls! I just want to boing them. I love how Layne could do anything with his hair and still look cool... The man could pull off any fashion.
    2) His arched eyebrows. He's got such a defined ridge.
    3) His eyes. What a unique color! I also love how big and wide they are. And those eyelashes... yummy.
    4) Those lips. Need I say more?
    5) His smile. So warm and comforting. That smile has gotten me through a lot.
    6) His complexion. Layne's skin is so perfect. And he tans awesomely. I'm jealous.
    7) His neck. It's so strong and solid. I love how his veins pop out when he sings. He's so devoted.
    8) His collarbones. Yummy! I love my men skinny. The more bones I can see, the better.
    9) His chest. Yeah... just perfection. So glad I didn't go to class!
    10) His stomach/waist. I love how broad his torso starts out then narrows down.
    11) Hipbones... always my favorite part on a guy. I get really, really, really excited whenever I find a picture of Layne where his pants are low enough that I can see the hip ridge... YUM.
    12) His shoulder/back. Love those tattoos! I think a little bit of ink is sexy on a guy.
    13) His ass. Yes, I did just go there. How can a guy with such little body fat anywhere else have a butt like that?! Seriously, one of life's great mysteries. When Layne is shirtless and wearing tight jeans, I'm in heaven.
    14) His legs. So long and slender. His arms are very long as well, which I adore. Watch his arms when he walks -- so cute!
    15) His feet. They're pretty damn big.
    16) His hands. Those are really, really big as well. And that's all I'm saying. Yep.
    17) Layne's taste in jewelry. Just like his hair and clothes, Layne likes to change jewelry a lot. I love his rings especially.
    18) His ears. I liked pierced ears, just as long as it's not excessive.
    19) His wrists. I love how narrow they are. Such a contrast to those massive hands.
    20) His posture. I love Layne's stance when he's performing. So captivating.

Yeah... I feel *so* much better right now!

laynesgrl Guest
    Very well said, MrsLayneStaley^^!!!
    Although, in order for most people to understand Layne's hotness, they would have to see that his beauty radiates from within...the outside is just the icing on the cake!!!

grrrnay Guest
    Well, The previous post does a pretty good job of detailing most physical things. Nicely done.
    I might point out that during 93-early 94 Layne was in very good shape, and not pale at all during L'looza. He was bordering on buff and quite strong. The thing I find most enchanting about Layne would be his humour, which was bordering on side splitting at times, his innocent and trusting nature (which I think played a huge part in his death) and the twinkle he got in his eyes when he was thinking something wicked.... not evil, just naughty. Finally, his gentle nature (esp. when it came to stray animals) could be very disarming, it was so unexpected from a guy who was so fierce on stage.

RodeoQueen Guest
    Layne for me has an intangible quality about him. I do find him quite attractive physically, but that's not what made me buy the Mad Season & AIC albums. His voice has a very unique sound to it; if you have heard a good number of the songs he's done the lead vocals on, you can hear how varied he could make himself sound. He could scream, croon, drag his voice, had a great falsetto, harmonized impeccably with others (especially Jerry), all of that. He could play his voice like an instrument, and it's just not something you hear very much of in the music world, especially in the hard rock genre AIC was a part of. He had a great sense of humor that was apparent in any interview or home video-type footage that's out there, and without exception everyone who ever had anything to say about Layne that made it into print was invariably about how laid-back, funny, and sweet-natured he was. Again, that's something of a rarity among lead singers. And probably the thing that resonates with me the most is his lyrics. He wrote songs that got very, very personal about the shit he was dealing with through the years, and to lay that out there for all the world to see takes a lot of balls, IMHO. All of this said, I still can't put my finger on what exactly the *one thing* is about Layne that just sucked me in, it's just the whole package, that intangible quality. We can't always say exactly why we like what we like, we just know that we do. Music is like that, ya know?

Stinkythejokedog: check out this link to the vocals-only track of Layne doing Man in the Box. It's a good example of the kind of range he had and the kinds of things he could do with his voice. We'll make a convert of you yet! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRHOGwp9Csw

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Too dead for my tastes.
    LMAO

- R.H. Sin

pvezz Guest
    Too dead for my tastes.
    *snort*

GoTtheGigGLeS Guest
    Too dead for my tastes.

LMAOOO!!! Toooo funny.

The only times I find him really hot are the periods between the "Would" video up until Lollapalooza with the shaved head...after that...it all went down hill for me. And before that he looked way too rough lol

laynesgrl Guest
    Well, since this forum is mostly about dead people, there is no way that Layne could be up to par for anyone's tastes, LOL, but now when he was alive and in good health he was something to behold!!!

http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=layne128.gif

RodeoQueen Guest
    Oh, Laynesgrl...I just love you!

laynesgrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RodeoQueen View Post
    Oh, Laynesgrl...I just love you!
    Well, thanks Queen of the Rooooodeeeo, I love you too!!!!

In that era I thought Eddie Vedder was God's gift, LOL.

AIC was a good band, when I played bass I could do a couple of their songs. I was horrible though, no sense of rhythm and they did a lot of stuff in drop D, with lots of hammer on's.

- R.H. Sin

RodeoQueen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    In that era I thought Eddie Vedder was God's gift, LOL.

AIC was a good band, when I played bass I could do a couple of their songs. I was horrible though, no sense of rhythm and they did a lot of stuff in drop D, with lots of hammer on's.
    Eddie Vedder was indeed delicious As for the music, there was definitely a difference in the bass sound depending on which Mike was playing. Inez is awesome, but Starr sounded more distinctive to me, like more of a standout.

Of course, Layne sounded freakin' awesome no matter what lineup he was a part of

Even when he was alive, zip, zero, nada, zilch interest in the guy. Too much of a little boy aura about him.

wdhebert Guest
    I think Layne was totally gorgeous inside and out. He's the type of guy that strikes a chord inside of you with his charisma, voice, lyrics, and soul!

Bibs Guest
    Agreed^^
    Hey, does anyone know where I can find images of his artwork? I've seen the above cover and two small jpegs of his two self portraits (one is jesus-like)... are there any other works out there? Thank you!

alygonforchains Guest
    Too dead for my tastes.

hilarious.

Karma in Chains Guest
    For me, I have always loved Layne's voice a lot, but also his lyrics. This early one (qoted below) might not be the one people remember first, but it shows that already in the early years of the band, he know what he was doing when it came to writing lyrics. This one is simple on the surface, but oh so clever! (enven The Simpson's special choos this one to make an Alice tribute):

Social Parasite lyrics
    You say you don't like the way we look
    Well fuck off
    I ain't some dying dog that you can kick
    So fuck off
    It's so easy to fall into that hole
    And you're the one who cast me in that role

If you loved me would you call me a social parasite
    And who's the one to tell me whether it's wrong or right
    You say you don't like the place I live
    Well get out
    There ain't no vacancy in my bed
    So get out
    (1, 2, 3, Go...)

You say you don't like the way we look
    Well fuck off
    I ain't some dying dog that you can kick
    So fuck off

Last edited by Karma in Chains; 10-28-2009 at 01:03 PM.

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    Even when he was alive, zip, zero, nada, zilch interest in the guy. Too much of a little boy aura about him.
    Ditto for me too. He was too scrawny and the blond hair was not doing it for me. I prefer the other lead singer dude from that other grunge band, you know the one that is still "ALIVE!"

Karma in Chains Guest
    Last edited by SomeChick; 01-29-2010 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Spamming pic removed.