Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoarders (A&E-Show)

deathhagcutie Guest

Hoarders (A&E-Show)

i love that show,but some of those people don't seem to really be hoarders..alot of them just seem to be dirty/lazy.. and the channel doesn't really get them councling or try to help like they do with intervention

RubySlippers Guest
    i watch it too... the group that comes in is headed by a therapist - someone who talks them through the process of cleaning their houses. they also talk about how after the intervention they are supposed to follow up with meetings - which many of them don't do. it really is harsh - those people are TRUELY TRUELY sick.

deathhagcutie Guest
    that one lady that had all the cats, they took like 50 live cats out and more than 30 dead cats away..ugh

pvezz Guest
    They had some hoarders on "Obsessed", but it sounds like the people on this show are much, much sicker.

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deathhagcutie View Post
    that one lady that had all the cats, they took like 50 live cats out and more than 30 dead cats away..ugh

eew. you hear about it all the time, but to see it...it really is shocking.

Aylen Guest
    30 dead cats?!

deathhagcutie Guest
    i could be low balling that number too..i like obsessed too is that still on?

RubySlippers Guest
    something similar happened in Colorado. they found the dead cats stacked in the fridge.
    YUM-O.

Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    They had some hoarders on "Obsessed", but it sounds like the people on this show are much, much sicker.
    I didn't even know about this show, but I just scheduled it on the DVR. Must see!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

crazedfemale Guest
    I watched this last night for the first time on TLC. My late grandmother hoarded newspapers and the plastic bags they came in...I asked her why and she said she had depression mentality, you saved everything. I think this is OCD or something. Very sad.

I watch this show every week. I don't understand these people at all. It's just all so crazy to me. The people drive me nuts. A lot of them are very odd. Do any of them actually get "fixed"?

james1977 Guest

Good Grief

30 Dead Cats. What the hell is wrong with that woman? It must have reeked. I saw the episode. Some crazy old woman had like 7 sewing machines from 1960 to 1990 editions.What the hell is she trying to do start a museum? . Keep the stuff you need and get rid of the rest.I like to save crap, a little. Books,C.D's. Movies. But I have a neat living space. The crap I can't trash . I put in a big fat public storage unit.We have to. I like valuable precious items,but these women were collecting just garbage. 30 Dead Cats. I'm surprised she didn't have a dead horse carcass underneath all that crap. These people need some help. Jeepers Creepers.

I love this show! But I get so pissed at the people who can't throw stuff away. Why don't the family send them on a vacation and just haul everything off?

OCEANLIGHTS Guest

Neighbor is a 'hoarder'

Before this show came on I didn't even know that people did this sort of thing. I have a neighbor who I've known for 8 years and her house and garage looks just like the ones featured on this show. I just thought she was 'messy' and a pack rat, now I realize she has a serious problem..now if I could just find her to tell her. . .

There's a message board I have bookmarked at home where a guy has started a thread about his mother's hoarding. There are TONS of pictures, and he comments on each one. Although it is pretty sad to see, his comments and his fellow message boardies' comments are sort of hilarious. I'll post the link when I get home.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The one where the couple had lost their kids over it killed me. At the end, it said that she was still struggling and had to do something with her 1400 boxes of stuff in storage. Yes, fourteen hundred-not a typo. I don't own 1400 boxes of stuff if you count everything in my house, let alone having 1400 boxes of stuff I could throw in storage and forget about. My Lord.

**Jenna** Guest
    i love that show,but some of those people don't seem to really be hoarders..alot of them just seem to be dirty/lazy.. and the channel doesn't really get them councling or try to help like they do with intervention
    I agree.
    The show kinda makes me nauses,I think about the smell in the house and all,ewww!

Rotten pumpkin woman not only had a dirty house and litter boxes, but she herself looked disgusting. She was eating that stuff. She made herself "finger food" she called it from her rotten food. YUUUUUUMMMMMY!!!

I feel so sorry for the heavy set guy that directs the cleaners and movers. His mother was a hoarder, and he feels like he is doing a service.

My favorite counselor is the bald guy who goes through the house pointing at things and trying not to gag. He always wears a suit and always looks out of place.

I've seen several of these episodes. The woman who refused to throw out all the rotten food was disturbing. She had a cabbage that was black and still thought it was edible. Yikes.

The one with that whiny 21-year old kid.......jeezus......I wanted to belt him one. All he did was cry like a 5-year old girl all through the entire episode and threaten suicide because his apartment was messy. Shut the hell up, quit your crying and throw out the fucking garbage. It's not that hard.

1karenhb Guest
    My mother was a hoarder and I watch the show to try and understand why she did this. She died almost 3 years ago and I honestly don't know how they got her body out of her mobile home. I didn't see her very often even though she lived only about an hour away. She would call me and say how depressed she was about the mess and yet felt totally overwhelmed to do anything. She definitely needed mental help and never got it. Took me over a month to clean it out and very little was worth saving. I had to rent a dumpster and that's where just about everything went. It's painful to watch the show but I do.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    I watch this show every week. I don't understand these people at all. It's just all so crazy to me. The people drive me nuts. A lot of them are very odd. Do any of them actually get "fixed"?
    I just watched my first episode tonight, the one that was on last night (Tara/Betty). I totally agree, they drive me nuts too. I know it's a disorder but I found myself talking to the TV and getting really annoyed. I don't know how their families do it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I watch this show, and it makes me wonder the mental process they go through to justify their hoarding.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Luanne View Post
    I just watched my first episode tonight, the one that was on last night (Tara/Betty). I totally agree, they drive me nuts too. I know it's a disorder but I found myself talking to the TV and getting really annoyed. I don't know how their families do it.

I haven't watched it yet. I am SOOO behind on my DVRs.

Xtine Guest
    the one where they lost the kids really bothered me. b/c this was the only one so far where the house was CLEAN afterwards. but i agree that she was not cured. 1400 boxes is ridiculous!!!

the lady that ate the rotten crap was out of control....it was incredibly hard to watcg

RaRaRamona Guest
    There's a message board I have bookmarked at home where a guy has started a thread about his mother's hoarding. There are TONS of pictures, and he comments on each one. Although it is pretty sad to see, his comments and his fellow message boardies' comments are sort of hilarious. I'll post the link when I get home.
    It's here somewhere - the guy from ebay, right?

You can really see the frustration in the adult kids of the hoarders. They are just absolutely at the end of their ropes. I have a hard time feeling sorry for many of them, but that old man last week with the one tooth was so sad.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by okidoll View Post
    You can really see the frustration in the adult kids of the hoarders. They are just absolutely at the end of their ropes. I have a hard time feeling sorry for many of them, but that old man last week with the one tooth was so sad.
    He was! Was it the junk yard guy? He kept saying "I'm not giving it away!"

Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    It's here somewhere - the guy from ebay, right?
    Is it a guy from ebay? I know he said his mother keeps saying she's going to sell some of her stuff on ebay.

If it's on here already, sorry!, but here it is again:

http://lee.org/journal/journal%20030...%20photos).htm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

james1977 Guest

Just saw it

Is it a guy from ebay? I know he said his mother keeps saying she's going to sell some of her stuff on ebay.

http://lee.org/journal/journal%20030...%20photos).htm
    What a nightmare. What the hell is wrong with this woman? It's just the results of excess. Some eat excess food,some save excess things.She needs a huge storage unit.Possibly several for her crap.It's okay to collect things,but if they start affecting your living space they must go into a storage unit. If you can't afford a storage unit,then don't collect. Do not use your whole house as a storage facility. I mean,your whole life is affected. What a nightmare. Save the stuff you need and if you don't need it trash it. But I say the same thing with my stuff. But I might need it sometime. I have 100 V.H.S. tapes in my storage unit. I say I might need,them one day. But for what? Unless I get a kick out of watching them on my ancient V.H.S. machine. The dillema still remains. And no ,the videos won't go. At least I store my junk. LOL

RaRaRamona Guest

http://lee.org/journal/journal%20030104-043004/The%20Awful%20Forums%20-%20My%20mother%20is%20insane%20(~5M%20of%20photos).htm
    Eek!! Yes! I was thinking he was posting on ebay forums or something, but I don't have a clue why i thought that.

pvezz Guest
    I watched Monday night's episode last night. I had a hard time feeling sorry for the older woman who was willing to give up her kids and grandkids for her stuff. I think it was a power struggle for her; she was paying back her husband for all the years she put up with his drinking. I dunno; she just rubbed me the wrong way.

I kinda felt bad for the woman who freaked out about her Peanuts comics. You could really tell in her case it was a complete emotional freakout for her to go through throwing the stuff away. I don't think that was the case with the older woman.

You know, I've noticed a trend with the hoarders -none of them have a decent place to sleep. I'm wondering if sleep deprivation is playing a big role here as much as depression? They probably play into one another.

Being that I'm having trouble sleeping lately I can tell I have problems thinking clearly. One of the things regularly going through my mind is, "Oh, I'll deal with this later and just sit it here. I can 't think properly right now). Then I sit whatever I have out of the way. HA HA!!! EXCELSIOR!

Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    He was! Was it the junk yard guy? He kept saying "I'm not giving it away!"

Yes, kept yammering on about his grand kids future. His son wasn't buying it.

They get caught in a cycle of wanting to get rid of it, but being overwhelmed by the act of organizing.

They are ALL going to sell it on EBay.

Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    I watched Monday night's episode last night. I had a hard time feeling sorry for the older woman who was willing to give up her kids and grandkids for her stuff. I think it was a power struggle for her; she was paying back her husband for all the years she put up with his drinking. I dunno; she just rubbed me the wrong way.

I kinda felt bad for the woman who freaked out about her Peanuts comics. You could really tell in her case it was a complete emotional freakout for her to go through throwing the stuff away. I don't think that was the case with the older woman.
    I love that the organizer guy said "We can buy her a book that has ALL the Peanuts comics in it." I'm wondering if she's so attached to them because she went to the trouble of cutting them out and collecting them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

During the clean-up, the crew chased a skunk out of the garage. I said to my wife: "They just hauled out 30 dead cats. The skunk is the least of their problems." The biggest surprise was that the house never got torn down.

Quote Originally Posted by Whammer Jammer View Post
    I've seen several of these episodes. The woman who refused to throw out all the rotten food was disturbing. She had a cabbage that was black and still thought it was edible. Yikes.
    That woman lives here in Milwaukee. When they showed the outside of her house, I tried to figure out what part of town she lived in.

I'd like to see a crossover show. Send Niecy Nash and her "Clean House" crew to someone on "Horders". Then we'll truly see some "mayhem, "foolishness", and "nonsense".

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hank chinaski View Post

I'd like to see a crossover show. Send Niecy Nash and her "Clean House" crew to someone on "Horders". Then we'll truly see some "mayhem, "foolishness", and "nonsense".

Oooh that sounds awesome!!

Oprah will be talking about hoarding tomorrow. Looks like it's people and clips from the A&E show, but maybe they'll have something else too.

I saw the Tara/Betty episode, too. My God, Betty chose her stuff over her family because "it never leaves me and it's always there."
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

I watched part of another one last night. A married woman with two kids (who were taken away and live with their grandparents) whose home is a DISASTER, obviously. The camera crew focused in on at least three mice running around in there. BLEEAAAAAHH!

I don't understand how you can be married to someone and let this happen. The friend I was watching with said there must have to be some kind of extreme dynamic of passive vs. aggressive partners for one to allow that and put up with it. I would be like "Clean this f***ing shit up or I'm leaving" long before stuff was piled in hallways and stacked on furniture. How can people let it get like that?? She said she had to clear crap off of her stove to cook dinner. Then she moved it back on there. I fell asleep before I saw whether she accepted help or cleaned a lot of it up, or more importantly, got her kids back.

I guess it's just a sickness and mental disorder I really can't wrap my mind around. Makes me appreciate that I really only have to deal with hairballs and lots of dishes when my apartment gets too messy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guest Guest
    the lady you're speaking about did not get her kids back yet because the courts are not convinced she is maintaining any sort of help for her hoarding...they took 1400 boxes of shit out of that house and stored it...not a typo...I said 1400!!!!

Fujicakes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Whammer Jammer View Post
    Gah, I just saw that one. She had broth that had expired months before and said she was waiting for it to puff up before she'd consider it bad And she refused to throw away the food that was swimming in the rotten meat juice for months! Ugh, I'm messy as hell, but I can't live knowing that food is rotting on my floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dearheart View Post
    the lady you're speaking about did not get her kids back yet because the courts are not convinced she is maintaining any sort of help for her hoarding...they took 1400 boxes of shit out of that house and stored it...not a typo...I said 1400!!!!
    Not only did she not get her kids back, didn't her husband file for divorce?

Wow, that is really sad. I would file for divorce, too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It said her husband filed for divorce and he had their son. State still had daughter.

Shamrocker99 Guest
    I watch this show with utter fascination because it totally grosses me out! I just want to slap all of them across the face and say snap out of it and throw all this shit out!!!

I watched the episode with the older man and his junkyard, who was facing 90 days in jail and the little 7 year old boy. I felt badly for both of them because they both seemed to be in a lot of pain. I just died when the little boy said he couldn't part with any of his stuffed animals because "it's just too tough".

This show does drive me crazy b/c it's very easy for me to part with stuff, and it's hard to understand why people would cry over giving up junked cars or stuffed animals. And, up until this episode, I found most of the people profiled fairly unlikeable. But these two...whew! I am just glad there are no cameras following me around documenting my own personal "mayhem and foolishness"!

Coffee addict Guest
    my very good friend watched an episode after I told her about it and she said she wanted to reach in that tv and say "I'm throwing ALL your shit away lady!" I still laugh when I think of her saying that. My mother in law is a hoarder, not as severe as the episodes, but still is. She doesn't clean up after herself or anything, a painful thing to see.

My mother and grandfather are both hoarders. Thankfully my Grandfather has my grandmother to keep their house somewhat in check, but since my parents divorced my Mom's house is disqusting. She live 8 hours away so I stay with my Dad when I visit and only have to spend a few hours in the house. I seriously have nightmares that for some reason I have to go back and live there. I think it has made me obsessive about junk. My husband gets mad at me sometime b/c of the stuff I refuse to keep.

pvezz Guest
    I just made myself a nice fresh salad for dinner and settled in to watch my second epi on DVR; lo and behold, it is black cabbage lady! ACK!!

Therapist: "I just stepped on the rotten pumpkin again".

BCL: "No, that's a squash; unrelated to the first pumpkin".

O.M.G.....