Thread: The Sordid Tale of Candace Mossler

Taggerez Guest

The Sordid Tale of Candace Mossler

Jacques Mossler was the head of a $33 million banking, loan and insurance empire with companies all over the country. He had gone to work at an early age to support his mother after his father died. He progressed from car mechanic to car salesman on to used-car dealer to new-car dealer to car financing.

In 1947, while divorcing by first wife, Mossler met Candace Weatherby Johnson, a busty and attractive 33-year old former model and mother of two from Georgia who was also getting a divorce. Mossler and Candy married the next year, moved to Houston in 1950 and made their home in a mansion in the top line River Oaks neighborhood. Candace Mossler quickly became a key figure in Houston high society, earning a reputation as a charming hostess, entertaining visiting celebrities and taking active part in civic, cultural and charitable causes.

In 1961, Candy Mossler took in Melvin Lane Powers, the son of her older sister, Elizabeth Weatherby Powers. Melvin was a brawny 20-year old who had blown in from Pontiac, Michigan where he had fallen in with a group of swindlers and had spent 90 days in jail for fraud. He was still on probation when he showed up in Houston directed by his mother, who hoped Candy’s wealth would help set her son straight. Candy talked Jacques into giving her nephew a job at one of Mossler’s financial firms and letting him live with the family.

In 1962 Jacques Mossler suffered a respiratory infection and traveled alone to Europe for treatment. He also began spending more time on Key Biscayne for the healthy ocean air. Back in Houston, Candy began to develop a very close relationship with her nephew. Before long, the pair crossed the line and became lovers. Candy and Mel’s relationship became an open secret around the house. Jacques learned of his wife’s incestuous affair after he was tipped off by a servant. This prompted him to read Candy’s diary which confirmed the charges.

Afterward, Jacques paid a visit to the Harris County DA to see about bringing criminal charges against Powers for breaking up his home. The authorities dissuaded him, warning of the potential for scandalous publicity. Jacques fired Powers from his job and booted him from the mansion then retreated to Europe. He eventually returned to the United States, but was too embarrassed to live in Houston, where rumors of the incest tittered through high society. He moved to a modest two-bedroom unit at the Governors Lodge apartment complex in Key Biscayne.

Though their relationship was strained, neither Jacques nor Candy made legal moves to separate or divorce. Each had financial motivation not to. According to the terms of a pre-nuptual they had signed, Candy would receive only $200,000 if she sued for divorce and Jacques knew she could get half of his fortune if he sought the divorce. The couple was locked in a legal and financial standoff.

Despite Mel’s exile from the mansion, he and Candy still got together in nightclubs and traveling to beach resorts and ski lodges. During these trips, Powers often introduced Candy as his wife or claimed she was a distant relation recovering from a bad marriage. With her financial backing, Powers started selling trailer homes just south of Houston in Webster. He took an apartment in Houston which served as a love nest for Aunt Candy’s visits.

In May 1964, Candy traveled to Key Biscayne with her daughter, Rita, and three of the four children she and Jacques had adopted, the fourth was in summer camp. No one knows the nature of the couple’s relationship in Key Biscayne, but soon after she arrived, Candy began experiencing migraine headaches. Three times she sought emergency treatment at a hospital. Each time she drove herself between 1 a.m. and dawn, taking the children with her and leaving Jacques home alone with his boxer dog.

On June 29 Candy loaded the children into the car at 1 a.m. Saying she had to mail some letters, she drove to the DuPont Plaza Hotel in Miami, where she bought stamps and posted several letters. She then went to the hospital for a migraine treatment. In her two hours there, Candy reportedly received three phone calls from the same man at the nurse’s station near the emergency room. The caller was not Jacques Mossler, a nurse would later say. Back on Key Biscayne, Jacques’ dog woke neighbors with ferocious barking at 1:30 a.m. This was followed by a series of thuds, muffled groans and a strange man’s voice. The noises were so troubling that three neighbors went to Mossler’s door to check on him. Their knock went unanswered and they gave up and went home. Candy and the children returned at 4:30 a.m., found Jacques’ dead body in the living room and called police.

On the scene, police described Candy as strangely unemotional. Jacques’ body was a bloody mess. He had 39 stab wounds in what police theorized was not an average murder but a vengeance killing with passion involved. With a seeming emotional or sexual connection between the attacker and victim, suspicion naturally fell on Candy and Mel. Cops also discovered that Jacques left a record of his wife’s affair in his own diary. One entry stated ominously of Candy and Mel, “If they don't kill me first, I'll have to kill them.”

On the day of Jacques Mossler’s funeral, Florida authorities issued a warrant charging Mel Powers with his murder. Texas Rangers picked Mel up that afternoon. The evidence was circumstantial but strong: Powers was in Miami the night of the murder; his fingerprints were found in Mossler's apartment on nearby Key Biscayne and in a car similar to one seen driven from the murder scene; bloodstains matching Mossler's blood were also found in that car. Also, "fairly fresh blood" was found on clothes Powers was wearing when he returned to Houston. But the blood could not be identified. It also seemed convenient that while Mossler was being killed, his wife happened to be out with the children in the middle of the night. Prosecutors sought the death penalty, contending the two had plotted Mossler's murder to get his fortune and continue a "torrid and incestuous love affair." Candy hired top-flight Houston defense attorneys Clyde Woody and Marian Rosen for her defense and Percy Foreman and William F. Walsh for Powers’. In a sick slab of irony, Candy paid the lawyers with jewels Jacques Mossler had given her. In essence, Jacques foot the bill for the defense of his own killers.

End of Part I
    Last edited by Taggerez; 10-03-2009 at 02:05 AM.

Taggerez Guest
    Part II

The Miami trial (which began on January 17, 1966) was a circus from the start. The subject matter was so explicit that Judge George Schulz closed the courtroom to anyone under 21. Defense attorneys contended Jacques Mossler was both a homosexual who could have been slain by a male acquaintance and a ruthless businessman who might have been taken out by a rival. Years later, a couple of Houston hustlers offered up convincing evidence that Jacques had, indeed, paid homosexual men for sex. A Houston resident, Foreman knew this through the grapevine but had no solid proof.

The prosecution paraded neighbors, employees, hotel clerks who all said they saw Mel and Candy share affectionate moments. Cops found a photographic record of Candy and Mel’s travels - souvenir snapshots from nightclubs, ski slopes, concerts. They offered up Arthur Grimsley, an Arkansas convict who testified Powers had offered him money to "do away with an old mooch." Billy Frank Mulvey, a Texas convict serving time for theft, testified that Candy gave him a $7,000 down payment in 1962 to kill her husband, but that he spent the money and never carried out the plan. The defense countered these two witnesses with testimony by two other convicts that Mulvey, a habitual criminal, should have gotten a life term for his latest conviction but had traded his story for a five-year sentence. Judge Schulz refused to allow prosecutors to place in evidence a photocopy of a nine-page love letter to Candace that Powers had tried to have one of her brothers smuggle out of jail. Authorities intercepted the letter, made a copy, and forwarded the original to Candy.

After two months of testimony and legal wrangling, the case went to the 12-man jury in early March. Two days later, on its seventh ballot, the jury acquitted both. According to many trial watchers, prosecutors had relied too heavily on testimony of convicts claiming to have knowledge of a murder plot and that the circumstantial evidence did not prove guilt beyond a doubt. It was also noted that the defense had wisely kept their clients off the stand, avoiding direct questions about their relationship. After the verdict, Candace Mossler, who had become a media darling after the murder, kissed every juror.

Although they both returned to Houston to live, Candy and Mel drifted apart after the trial. Stories differ about their breakup.

In 1971 Candy married a hell-raising ex-Rice University football player and electrical contractor named Barnet W. Garrison. At the time, Garrison was 33, Candy was claiming to be 50 but actually was 57. Plastic surgeons kept her well preserved. The following year, Garrison went out drinking alone after a fight with Candy. He returned late without keys and apparently tried to climb up to her third-floor bedroom. Garrison reportedly slipped and plunged 40 feet from the roof onto a concrete patio and suffered brain damage. Although suspicious (Garrison had a loaded pistol in his belt) police ruled the fall accidental. Three months later the couple divorced.

In May 1974, Candy Mossier told police that a masked intruder had broken into her home, chloroformed her and made off with $396,000 in jewelry and cash. She had reported a similar theft in Miami Beach two weeks earlier, claiming that a thief "with soft hands" had taken $200,000 in gems. Carelessly, Mrs. Mossier reported the same item, a $160,000 diamond, stolen in each robbery. Neither case was solved.

In October 26, 1976, Candace Mossler died in her sleep at the Fontainbleau Hotel in Miami Beach.

Powers embarked on a career as a real estate developer. His most notable project was the twin 20-story Arena Towers office buildings and adjacent 2,800-seat Arena Theater. Like many in his profession, he has been in and out of bankruptcy.

Postscript:

After coming home to the Houston area from the Marines, I began dating a girl whose dad was a banker and investor. After a date one night, I took her home and we sat in the den with her parents and several other people they had invited over. One of their guests was a hulking, forbidding looking guy who gave me the creeps because he smiled not once despite the sparkling conversation and the light mood of everyone else. He seemed so out of place that it was just strange. I thought he might have been an ex-football player or even a pro wrestler. A few days later I asked my girlfriend who that brutish looking sumbitch was. She laughed and said, "scary, isn't he? That's Mel Powers. He and daddy do real estate deals together."
    Last edited by Taggerez; 10-03-2009 at 02:04 AM.

TallulahDahling Guest
    Great story, dahling!! Where are the pics????

NOVSTORM Guest
    great post

Guest Guest
    Interesting thread,thanks.

Lout_Rampage Guest
    Tl;dr

Heres one
    I told my lawyer he's better step it up or we would both end up on an episode of "SNAPPED"

Taggerez Guest
    Here's a good shot of Candy taken during the trial in 1966:

Taggerez Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Taggerez View Post
    That's the "I'm Innocent" smile....

great read.....
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

Shamrocker99 Guest
    Excellent post!! Thanks for sharing!!

Melvin Lane Powers has died at the age of 68

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/19/us....html?_r=1&hpw

Another of her husbands - Barnett Garrison - also met an untimely/bizarre death - http://www.houstonpress.com/1998-08-...lling-in-love/

VCNJ~
    Last edited by VeuveClicquotNJ; 10-18-2010 at 06:26 PM.

trishsixxm Guest
    That was so interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by VeuveClicquotNJ View Post
    Melvin Lane Powers has died at the age of 68

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/19/us....html?_r=1&hpw

Another of her husbands - Barnett Garrison - also met an untimely/bizarre death - http://www.houstonpress.com/1998-08-...lling-in-love/

VCNJ~

Hmmmm, I wonder if Ol' Barnett is still alive ~ it didn't say did it?
    My Posse's On Broadway

SinKittyVixen Guest
    Very interesting read!

jaylene Guest
    Just proves truth is always stranger than fiction. Great
    story. This lady was drama til the end.

silverwaif77 Guest
    Saw this case a couple of years ago on Dominnic Dunne's Power Privilage and Justice. Sleeping with your nephew is just disgusting! Plus he isn't even cute! If you are going to commit a major sin, your nephew should at least be hot. It looks like she was the brains behind the operation, he looks like a bouncer or a bodyguard for a wealthy person. He doesn't strike me as the well read type.

Quote Originally Posted by silverwaif77 View Post
    Saw this case a couple of years ago on Dominnic Dunne's Power Privilage and Justice. Sleeping with your nephew is just disgusting! Plus he isn't even cute! If you are going to commit a major sin, your nephew should at least be hot. It looks like she was the brains behind the operation, he looks like a bouncer or a bodyguard for a wealthy person. He doesn't strike me as the well read type.

LOL!!! Right ~ at least pick a hot family member!!
    My Posse's On Broadway

rmulvey Guest
    wow...so wierd reading about your own blood!

tcufelicia Guest

I know I'm late to the thread,,,

Quote Originally Posted by rmulvey View Post
    wow...so wierd reading about your own blood!
    Own blood?? Do you possibly know where I can find the story of the adopted kids biological parents? I can't seem to find their names ANYWHERE and I know the story of the husband killing his wife and youngest child had to have been front page news.

Rhonda Guest
    It's unfortunate that as time goes by, so many of our photo links and uploads no longer work. I hates that!

What an interesting story. That's just crazy.

I loved reading about this in the papers when I was younger, I am surprised this has never been made into a film.

Only in Texas..............

Crazy story and ole Candy looks rough in those pics.

Thanks for the link anne ! Candy has always fascinated me, I still think her life would make a great film or mini series.

jaokguy Guest

Thumbs up So glad....

So happy this evil cunt died only 10 years after her hideous trial. That was a nice version of justice ...regardless of the ignorant, inept, wimpy, and severely lacking in common sense sleeve size iq jury she still got what she deserved to begin with, the death penalty. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shejay View Post
    Hmmmm, I wonder if Ol' Barnett is still alive ~ it didn't say did it?
    Yeah, he died in February of 09'. And I agree, this would make a fascinating movie!
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!