Thread: Man Fends Off Grizzly with an Arrow

Man Fends Off Grizzly with an Arrow

Ian Bailey
    Vancouver ?? From Thursday's Globe and Mail Last updated on Thursday, Sep. 17, 2009 04:06AM EDT

With a grizzly bear straddling him, so close he could smell its ??musky, wet-dog smell,? Rory Chapple knew he had one shot at avoiding a mauling or death.
    The veteran bow hunter, flat on his back after tripping, with the 270-kilogram sow looming over him, pulled an arrow from the quiver on his compound bow and plunged it into the bear's chin.
    There had been no time to draw the arrow and shoot the bear. Mr. Chapple's only warning of what was to come was a ??huff, huff, huff? sound behind him.
    He turned and saw the bear coming ??full charge? at him.
    He tripped, was on his back, then the bear was on him.
    But the aluminum-shaft arrow with a three-bladed stainless-steel point did its job.
    ??Those [arrows] are designed to have zero resistance,? said Mr. Chapple, 39, of Fort St. John.
    ??Just like a hot knife through butter, they're designed to penetrate and cut. It went in lickety-split.?
    He was aiming for the bear's mouth, ??but my aim was off,? which was no surprise, as the bear was atophim, although not positioned in a way that put all her crushing weight on him.
    What happened when the arrow sank in is hard to forget, he said.
    ??Instantly her breathing changed,? he recalled.
    ??I knew I hit the windpipe because she was having a hard time breathing.
    ??I could hear her breathing pretty raspy and gurgly.?
    The bear withdrew as three cubs looked on ??like a little audience watching the whole thing.?
    She turned and moved away, but her movements rammed the arrow in further before it slipped loose and fell to the ground. Her cubs followed her into the bush.
    Mr. Chapple said he yelled out to friends in their camp about 300 metres away. They yelled back, stumbling out of their tents.
    ??As soon as I got close to them, I just collapsed on the spot. Tears were flowing. I was pretty much a ball of jelly.
    ??I was just thinking how close I was to dying. Had I not happened to stick that arrow in exactly the right spot, there's no doubt I would have been mauled pretty good for sure.?
    He suffered a sore back and his pants were torn.
    All of this happened on Sept. 8 at about 6:30 a.m. after Mr. Chapple left his tent ahead of four hunting buddies, hoping to get an early start on the day's hunting near the Kechika River, eight hours drive plus a three-hour boat ride from Fort St. John.
    Mr. Chapple has been an archer since he was 14.
    He has hunted throughout his life, largely using a rifle, but decided to turn to a bow and arrow for the challenge ?? you have to get closer to prey than when hunting with a firearm.
    He has taken black bears before, shooting behind the front shoulder through the heart-lung area.
    He had always hoped to get a grizzly.
    Jeff Ginter, regional operations manager of the provincial conservation officers' service, said from Dawson Creek yesterday that his staff plan to interview Mr. Chapple for further details on the incident to gather information on attacks for their database and to help decide whether the grizzly should be tracked down.
    Other hunters may be at risk from the animal, he said.
    Mr. Chapple and his friends went looking for the grizzly after the incident, but found no sign of her.
    Mr. Ginter said, on average, three British Columbians are injured by black bears each year, and three by grizzly bears.
    In the past 23 years, there have been six fatal attacks by grizzlies and eight by black bears, he said.
    Mr. Ginter said Mr. Chapple's experience is unique.
    ??This is the first I have heard of an arrow [being used] like that,? he said, although he said he has heard of people fending off bears with knives and shovels, among other tools.
    Mr. Chapple, an auto-body repair technician and president of his local archery club, said a friend is making a glass case for the arrow in question, now bent and twisted.
    ??It will be up on the mantel for sure.?

D3LIVI?N Guest
    This guy is a true badass, My hero!

I wonder what happened to the cubs?

Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    I wonder what happened to the cubs?
    It looks as though the bear survived, so presumably the cubs are still with her.

Nosgothic Guest
    If that story doesn't help get chicks..

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosgothic View Post
    *snort*

Fujicakes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosgothic View Post
    you can at least get some free beer in the process.