Thread: Soldier Reported Dead to Family as a Hoax

STsFirstmate Guest

Soldier Reported Dead to Family as a Hoax

OK this really has me boiling!
    Jesse Jaspers family recieved a call telling them it was the military and their son had been killed in Afghanistan on Sept 12th. They would call with more details later.
    The parents, devastated informed friends and family and updated their son's Facebook Page for his friends with the news and their church members came to the home the next morning to begin helping them with the logisitics.
    They contacted the military and asked what would be happening. The Officer who spoke to them said Ma'am we have no record of your son being killed and we never notify next of kin by phone. We always come in person.
    The military person verified their son was fine and had his commander have him call home immediately.
    At this point it is considered a cruel hoax and the military is investigating it.
    I saw the parents interviewed on CNN and I felt so bad for them and happy for them at the same time. What a horrible thing to do to someone's family. I hope they get them.
    http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline...y-entry-1.html
    Regards,
    Mary

rickenbacker Guest
    I...wow. I'm so mad, I'm speechless! How could anyone do that?!?

I hope they find the bastard that did this...what a sick joke.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

lab_rat Guest
    That's eff'in sick!

Northern Lights Guest
    That is a cruel joke

Doesn't get any lower than that. What a pos.
    I wonder what motivated it though...

D3LIVIĆ?N Guest
    That's really f**ked up!

Nosgothic Guest
    Can't people find better things to do with their time?

octobersky Guest
    Why would someone do that!?!?! Sick Sick Sick.

Nelliebean Guest
    I have a feeling they'll find the moron who did this.
    The question is what could they do to him?

guardmom2008 Guest
    Truly horrible.This just pisses me off that someone could do that. I do hope they find that POS and make them pay.

mandee1005 Guest
    Somebody would be dead by the time I found out who it was. I really hope that they find this person and they get whats coming to them. Maybe community service at the local VFW. Can you imagin what those old timers would do to that person if they found out? Just as good as any punishment I think.

guardmom2008 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mandee1005 View Post
    Somebody would be dead by the time I found out who it was. I really hope that they find this person and they get whats coming to them. Maybe community service at the local VFW. Can you imagin what those old timers would do to that person if they found out? Just as good as any punishment I think.
    I like the way you think Hon!

mandee1005 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by guardmom2008 View Post
    I like the way you think Hon!
    Thanks! I try!
    Let him spend time at Walter Reed writing letters home for folk who lost their hands/arms or who suffer worse injuries. To me, this is as low as harming an elderly person or a child.. Just pisses me off to high Heaven..

guardmom2008 Guest
    Thanks! I try!
    Let him spend time at Walter Reed writing letters home for folk who lost their hands/arms or who suffer worse injuries. To me, this is as low as harming an elderly person or a child.. Just pisses me off to high Heaven..
    You are very welcome!!
    You won't get an argument out of me. They need to be punished and I think that is the perfect way of doing it, by making him do community service there just like you said. Plus I would make him face those parents and apologize, if they smack him then he deserved it.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Thanks! I try!
    That would be great! I relly hope they find the person who did this. The video of the interview I saw with the family is now posted on CNN.com it is definately worth watching.
    Regards,
    Mary

hallucinex Guest
    Disgusting. To put a family through such hell.

Snoopy Guest
    Wow..what the hell is wrong with people in this world? that is totally messed up! The poor parents..I'm glad that their son is still alive though.

STsFirstmate Guest
    This just gets worse!
    The Army did make a mistake and it was Army personnel that called this family. They had this kid confused with another kid and they thought that the family had already been notified.
    The Army is investigating and trying to figure out how it happened.
    I guess I am actually glad it was a logiistical snafu and not a cruel hoax by a third party. Someones butt will end up chewed over this before it is over.
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...-soldier_N.htm
    Regards,
    Mary

Snoopy Guest
    Wow..yeah I wouldn't want to be the guy or gal behind that mistake..still glad for the family though that it wasn't for real.

Thanks! I try!
    Mandee...you are gooood!

Awww, I was gonna post this, I saw this story on Yahoo.

"Dad, what's going on?"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here one day, Gone one night, Gone too soon...
    Missing you forever...

kandykisses Guest
    Wow how could someone do something so horrible? What is the payoff of causing that kind of heart wrenching grief. I hope they find them and beat the shit out of them.

Chevyheaven Guest
    and the lady that called admitted that she did call but never said the son was dead. Im curious...why did she call to begin with? How odd. I would like to know what really happened.

Roaming Tigress Guest
    I would have been kicking ass and taking numbers if that happened to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyheaven View Post
    and the lady that called admitted that she did call but never said the son was dead. Im curious...why did she call to begin with? How odd. I would like to know what really happened.

According to Mary's article, it turned out it was an informal group that tries to help the families of soldiers KIA. They phoned the wrong family by mistake.
    I'm sure they do lots of good work, but ffs. Get it right.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    According to Mary's article, it turned out it was an informal group that tries to help the families of soldiers KIA. They phoned the wrong family by mistake.
    I'm sure they do lots of good work, but ffs. Get it right.
    Yeah Duster I don't think they were doing anything but reaching out and trying to help. I am actually relieved this wasn't a hoax but hopefully they will take a hard look at their protocols to try to avoid this happening again.
    Regards,
    Mary