Thread: Charlie Grapewin

RoRo Guest

Charlie Grapewin

One of the best known ??old coots?? in Hollywood history, he is best known for three of his roles. He played Grandpa in ??The Grapes of Wrath?, Jeeter Lester in ??Tobacco Road? and Uncle Henry in ??The Wizard of Oz.? He was born on December 20, 1869 in Xenia, Ohio. His films included:??Alice Adams? (1935) with Katharine Hepburn, as J.A. Lamb; ??King Solomon of Broadway? (1935) as Uncle Winchester; ??Rendezvous? (1935) as Prof. Martin; ??Ah, Wilderness!? (1935) as Mr. Dave McComber; ??The Petrified Forest? (1936) with Humphrey Bogart, as Gramp Maple; ??Ellery Queen, Master Detective? (1940) as Inspector Queen, Ellery??s Father, a role he repeated in this film series; ??The Texas Rangers Ride Again? (1940) as Ben Caldwalder; ??Tobacco Road? (1941) as Jeeter Lester, a classic role; ??Ellery Queen??s Penthouse Mystery? (1941) as Inspector Queen; ??They Died with Their Boots On? (1941) with Errol Flynn, as California Joe; ??A Desperate Chance for Ellery Queen? (1942) as Inspector Queen; ??Crash Dive? (1943) uncredited, as Pop; ??Follow the Boys? (1944) as Nick West; ??Atlantic City? (1944) as Jake Taylor; ??The Impatient Years? (1944) as Bellboy; ??Gunfighters? (1947) as Mr. Innskeep; ??The Enchanted Valley? (1948) as Grandpa; ??Sand? (1949) as Doug and ??When I Grow Up? (1951) as Grandpa Reed, his final film. He was married to actress Anna Chance until her death in 1943 and they had no children. He died on February 2, 1956 in Corona, California of natural causes at age 86.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

have just seen 'the grapes of wrath' for the umpteenth time and i am constantly amazed at the reality and authenticity with which this great actor delivers his role to the screen. his heartfelt sorrow, pathos, and irrascibility as an old man, who has just suffered a stroke, with all the movements, irrational thoughts, anger, seasoned with such a sadness which is palpable actually brought tears to my eyes. i am very familiar with the elderly at this point in their vulnerable lives, having lost two parents, and various grandparents. charley grapewin was quietly one of the most wonderful and professional actors of his day. 'i wanna whole messa spare ribs!!!'
    pull the string!

RoRo Guest
    he was indeed a great actor!

I like old coots.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.