Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heaven's Gate

whatever happened to his wife and kids?
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    They have probably changed their names and gotten as far away as possible...Could you imagine that asshat bein your dad...Mine's bad but WOOHOO!!!

Frank 'N' Howie Guest

I mean PUH leeze!!!

**Jenna** Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by howDIDyouBUYit? View Post

I mean PUH leeze!!!
    I was freaked out by those pictures for quite awhile. Wonder why they picked the nike shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by howDIDyouBUYit? View Post

I mean PUH leeze!!!

That guy looks like such a fruit loop

I bet he was friends with Tom Cruise

They are now with Xenu

Quote Originally Posted by LSF View Post
    I was freaked out by those pictures for quite awhile. Wonder why they picked the nike shoes?
    see post #19
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

hmmmm

this is from their website:
    http://www.heavensgate.com/misc/letter.htm

"OUR POSITION AGAINST SUICIDE

We know that it is only while we are in these physical vehicles (bodies) that we can learn the lessons needed to complete our own individual transition, as well as to complete our task of offering the Kingdom of Heaven to this civilization one last time. We take good care of our vehicles so they can function well for us in this task, and we try to protect them from any harm.
    We fully desire, expect, and look forward to boarding a spacecraft from the Next Level very soon (in our physical bodies). There is no doubt in our mind that our being "picked up" is inevitable in the very near future. But what happens between now and then is the big question. We are keenly aware of several possibilities.

It could happen that before that spacecraft comes, one or more of us could lose our physical vehicles (bodies) due to "recall," accident, or at the hands of some irate individual. We do not anticipate this, but it is possible. Another possibility is that, because of the position we take in our information, we could find so much disfavor with the powers that control this world that there could be attempts to incarcerate us or to subject us to some sort of psychological or physical torture (such as occurred at both Ruby Ridge and Waco).

It has always been our way to examine all possibilities, and be mentally prepared for whatever may come our way. For example, consider what happened at Masada around 73 A.D. A devout Jewish sect, after holding out against a siege by the Romans, to the best of their ability, and seeing that the murder, rape, and torture of their community was inevitable, determined that it was permissible for them to evacuate their bodies by a more dignified, and less agonizing method. We have thoroughly discussed this topic (of willful exit of the body under such conditions), and have mentally prepared ourselves for this possibility (as can be seen in a few of our statements). However, this act certainly does not need serious consideration at this time, and hopefully will not in the future.

The true meaning of "suicide" is to turn against the Next Level when it is being offered. In these last days, we are focused on two primary tasks: one - of making a last attempt at telling the truth about how the Next Level may be entered (our last effort at offering to individuals of this civilization the way to avoid "suicide"); and two - taking advantage of the rare opportunity we have each day - to work individually on our personal overcoming and change, in preparation for entering the Kingdom of Heaven."

here is my question:
    they say they are prepared to go to board their spacecraft from The Next Level in their physical bodies.
    so how come they killed their physical bodies?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sweetie103 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deathybrad View Post
    Black and White specifically.
    I had just bought those shoes a week before this happened...it was all over the tv highlighting their shoes. I never wore my new shoes.
    Last edited by sweetie103; 10-10-2008 at 07:03 PM. Reason: missed a word

Armcast Guest

miz rosebud Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by findadeathaddict View Post
    That guy looks like such a fruit loop

I bet he was friends with Tom Cruise

They are now with Xenu

lol he was possibly a good friends of toms...........lol

What utter idiots! These cult leaders are nothing more than prediters who seek out people who have issues, who are searching for something--sheep, if you will. I think too that these people are so weak that they find it hard to resist joining.

I know from experience via my mama. A cult tried to get ahold of her and almost succeeded. It wasn't a Jonestown/Heaven's Gate type cult, but it was dang sure a cult. I won't name it because I don't want to insult any of you who may belong to it.

A little old lady used to come visit mama every single Thursday trying to get her to their place of worship. I would not go to the door, nor would I accept her tract. I ignored her for the most part, but mama would talk to her for a long time at the kitchen table. Finally, one day mama said to me "I'm going to their temple; will you take me and come back and get me?" I said "Hell no. You're a grown woman and if you want to go, that's your business, but I'll be damned if I engage you." That was also the day I sat her down with their creed and pointed out the stupid stuff they believed in and her eyes were opened. She told the lady she would not be attending their temple.

Few weeks passed and they ganged up on her. Five or six came calling and all of us sat around the kitchen table. One of the first things they did was start on me, and I wouldn't argue with them because you can not win, trust me. I did tell them "I've forgotten more Bible than most people ever learn, and you don't follow it, as you like people to believe. I know who and what I believe in and you or no one else is ever going to convert me." Well they looked at me piteously and shook their heads sadly. Lmao. They also never came back.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

**Jenna** Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    see post #19
    Okay,thanks.

**Jenna** Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    ya, they thought the white shwoosh on the nikes looked like the comet.
    That makes sense now.

Seagorath Guest
    They should have been called..."Hell's Gate"...

Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    They should have been called..."Hell's Gate"...
    You got that right.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

SusanCarole Guest
    i had some really crazy dreams about all of this stuff way back when when it was happening.

ykä Guest
    awful..

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    kool-aid anyone?

sorry...
    I believe they mixed all of their suicide drugs into applesauce. Good thing they didn't have any jars lying around. Mott's or Musselman's would've taken a hit on sales.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marshall made it on findagrave:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=7748014

says Clinton ordered the bodies cremated. Why would this be a federal matter ??

RetroFanatic Guest
    I was thinking that these leaders can use even the smallest tactics in order to lure someone in; Such as Heaven's Gate and People's Temple, I don't know what my reaction would have been to Jones or Applewhite early on. Would I have seen them for what they truly were? Would it have registered into my head? Would I have had sense enough to know that Jones was bullshitting after telling me that he's god, or would I have believed that I could be shuttled to another life on a space ship? I have no idea, but sometimes you just wonder how some people can believe the most outlandish tales.
    Last edited by RetroFanatic; 10-13-2008 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Corrections

JabezHyde Guest
    The video footage of the discovery and the pictures of the scene bothered me for a loooong time. I still can't bear to look at "Do" -- he has, obviously, a major case of the crazy eyes.

crazedfemale Guest
    A very sad, crazy cult...

annannanna Guest
    I found this tidbit interesting...

Marshall Herff Applewhite was gay. There are rumors that he had one or more affairs with male students when he was a music teacher. He is believed to have checked himself in to a hospital over two decades ago in order to overcome his homosexual feelings. This occurred when many therapists believed that a person's sexual orientation could be changed. Needless to say, the therapy was unsuccessful. One theory being proposed is that he was unable to accept his sexual orientation because of the homophobia that he had adsorbed during his youth. This motivated him to live an celibate life and to create a group which also suppressed their sexual behavior. Another theory is that among UFO groups, there is a widespread belief that extra-terrestrials have no vocal cords, an atrophied digestive system and no sexual organs. This is symbolic of three common religious disciplines: silence, fasting and celibacy. Perhaps Applewhite was attempting to emulate both the UFO inhabitants and ancient Christian tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by annannanna View Post
    I found this tidbit interesting...

Marshall Herff Applewhite was gay. There are rumors that he had one or more affairs with male students when he was a music teacher. He is believed to have checked himself in to a hospital over two decades ago in order to overcome his homosexual feelings. This occurred when many therapists believed that a person's sexual orientation could be changed. Needless to say, the therapy was unsuccessful. One theory being proposed is that he was unable to accept his sexual orientation because of the homophobia that he had adsorbed during his youth. This motivated him to live an celibate life and to create a group which also suppressed their sexual behavior. Another theory is that among UFO groups, there is a widespread belief that extra-terrestrials have no vocal cords, an atrophied digestive system and no sexual organs. This is symbolic of three common religious disciplines: silence, fasting and celibacy. Perhaps Applewhite was attempting to emulate both the UFO inhabitants and ancient Christian tradition.
    I think I read about him being gay at some point. I also remember something about him being impotent. That's supposedly why he was fixated on the members of his cult castrating themselves. I guess if he couldn't do it, no one could! I'm not a dude, but if I were, that would be the closer for me regarding my membership. "I have to cut off or mutilate my WHAT?!? Forget that, I'm out!"

It would be a trip if these people from Jonestown and Heaven's Gate were actually right! Granted, I'd rather take my chances living on earth and going when my time is up instead of taking a ride on the end of a comet, but it's an interesting thought.
    "You live alone, creating your life as you go." - Edie Sedgwick

Katrinawitch Guest
    I wanted to bump this thread because Scott just posted a great synopsis of the Heaven's Gate debacle on the FAD home page. This is a truly sad subject, but somehow Scott's articles soften the blow of reading about them!

The "goodbye video" in Scott's synopsis was very strange; these two guys, one of them obviously one of the youngest members, seemed so amazingly happy to be going on this journey. The younger one just couldn't stop smiling! It's so sad for their families, but I can't bring myself to be sad for the cult members, because this really seems to be what they wanted to do.

I love the description of them all ooh-ing and aah-ing over their last meal (as you do!)!

I missed the 20 year anniversary a few days ago - this was big news back in March 1997

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...316-story.html

navallint Guest
    Too bad we we weren't given a chance to put Applewhite and Jim Jones in a ring and let them fight to the death. I would have paid to see that.

Damn, i can't believe it's been 20 years ago. I remember this so clearly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Applewhite's got the crazy eyes.
    I've never been ashamed to be a white American and I have ZERO guilt and no pussy liberal is going to make me feel I should.
    --McCourt

I remember Larry King covering this for weeks - CNN was good then its all politics now.