Thread: Patrick Newell - 'Mother' from The Avengers

Guest Guest

Talking Patrick Newell - 'Mother' from The Avengers

Patrick David Newell (born Hadleigh, Suffolk, 27 March 1932 - 22 July 1988) was a British actor known for his large size. It is reputed he gained weight as a deliberate attempt to boost his career, marking him out for some niche roles. It has been written that his entry in Who's Who On Television in the late 1970s, Newell described himself as "Actor with a weight problem--the more he diets, the less work he seems to get."

His most notable role was as "Mother," the spymaster in The Avengers. He had previously appeared in two earlier Avengers episodes: "The Town of No Return" (Diana Rigg's debut) and "Something Nasty in the Nursery" as a Government official (sometimes suggested as an earlier incarnation of Mother).

Other cult television appearances included roles in Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased), the Doctor Who story The Android Invasion, The Young Ones and Kinvigand the character of Sutton/Blessington in ITV's The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes production of The Resident Patient. He also turned up as a Playboy Bunny in one of the Benny Hill comedy specials. Film appearances include the Gluttony segment of The Magnificent Seven Deadly Sins.

Later in life, Newell succeeded in losing a substantial amount of weight, but this did not prevent his early death from a heart attack. He was married with two children.

Imagine gaining weight to further your career... sounds crazy today, where celebs have to be skinny and toned to have a chance... neither of the options are very healthy. I think I have seen him in something.... not sure I ever saw any of the avengers episodes though
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	patricknewell2.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	15486   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	patricknewell.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	15487  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Love is the answer - and you know that for sure.

Guest Guest
    You've probably seen him on a tv show - he was in gazillions of them. He appeared in an episode of Casualty the year before he died.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    You've probably seen him on a tv show - he was in gazillions of them. He appeared in an episode of Casualty the year before he died.

Oohh Casualty another one of those forever running shows.. have seen many episodes..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    Oohh Casualty another one of those forever running shows.. have seen many episodes..
    Yes I believe it started back in caveman times

Yes I believe it started back in caveman times
    And you were there from the very beginning
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    And you were there from the very beginning
    How did you guess??

How did you guess??
    oh.. your 400 years are starting to show
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Northern Lights Guest

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    Thanks for the link. there seems to be so little info about him on the web.

Northern Lights Guest
    Thanks for the link. there seems to be so little info about him on the web.
    You're welcome!

Bidmor Guest
    Eugene Pallette is another actor who gained weight in order to gain work. He was the portly, bull-frog voiced actor in such films as Mr. Smith Goes To Washington and Topper.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Pallette

Newell had the final line, as I recall, in the silly final episode of The Avengers, as Steed and Tara King were taking off in a rocket.
    Last edited by Bidmor; 08-10-2009 at 09:58 AM.