Page 1 of 18 12310 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebrity Deaths - I can't believe they're dead.

Schmermie Guest

Celebrity Deaths - I can't believe they're dead.

For me it would have to be Dominique Dunne, back when I was about 18 years old. I had been following her career (albeit short) for a while, and had just seen her in Poltergeist, when I heard that she was on life support. When I asked my sister, who was studying to be a nurse, what Dominique's chances were of recovery, she told me she was pretty much dead, there was no hope. I was completely crushed.

The last time I thought to myself: "I can't believe they're dead" was in regards to John Ritter. Actually, about every six months or so I think about him being gone and it just seems surreal. I know that probably sounds sappy, it's just that he seemed like such a good guy.

Here is a great tribute to him written by Larry Miller. About midway through, Larry talks about the day before John died. Very touching.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Utilit...3133&R=EEB0A8E

Now I'm all verklempt...talk amongst yourselves.

I couldn't believe John Ritter died so young.

Ron Burgundy Guest
    John Wayne

I didn't think he was capable of such a thing.

dunrite Guest
    John Belushi, made me laugh like hell.

deathybrad Guest
    Chris Farley or Phil Hartman, whichever died first.

Jack Raines Guest
    John Candy, definitely. I loved his movies like "Uncle Buck" and "Summer Rental" when I was a kid. I was about 11 when he died, and I was pretty upset...

deathybrad Guest
    John Candy, another one of those guys you felt like you were friends with even though you'd never met him...

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    River Phoenix.

I heard the news from a friend, and called a local radio station to see if they'd heard the same story...The DJ was as shocked as I was and looked into it. Not ten minutes later they announced it.

He was SO young, and so supposedly "healthy". The way he died and the details of it that emerged after Joaquin's 911 call was released was probably the hardest part to believe of all.

Standing outside the Viper Room and looking down at the sidewalk was a harrowing experience for me...Kind of gave me a new perspective on the "glamour" of Hollywood.

Brandon Lee and Chris Farley, still miss them both.
    [Img][/img]
    "There are three things I've learned never to discuss
    with people: religion, politics and The Great Pumpkin."
    - Linus -
    It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown
    https://youtu.be/H2H0TfvNU3w

motherogod Guest
    Elvis is my first memory. My mom was playing golf and my sister and I had a babysitter. When the news came across the TV, my sister said, "mom's gonna be sad."

The first one that I remember sitting up in bed and gasping, "OH NO" to when sleeping through my clock radio alarm was Andy Gibb. My sister and I would stand on chairs and use knicknacks as microphones to sing along with him on the 8-track. I was in early parts of high school when this happened. I always hated it when he was on Solid Gold (sold his soul, I thought), but I remember wanting to see some episodes so I could take a look and listen to him again.

Dammit, I did it again! You asked about actors but I went on with musicians. Oh well, Elvis did movies and Andy did Solid Gold (ugh). I do remember I was really saddened when the "Where's the Beef" lady took her leave.

jewby Guest
    Elizabeth Montgomery. I remember as a kid really loving her 'motherliness' in Bewitched and thinking how young and good looking she was. When she died I guess it made me realise how much time had passed. She still seemed so young even then.

Marlow Guest
    George Reeves...I was six years old...and understood a 'little' about actors...but Reeves was Superman to me. I couldn't believe has gone...

Marlow

b57hrle Guest
    the first one would be Elvis I think and too many since then

scout1 Guest
    First would have to be Elvis. My mom came home crying from work. I was around 7. Next John Wayne, such a big fan, and used to lunch outside his ranch in Arizona when I was a kid. It was very cool, and no one ever made us "move on". But I would really have to say John Belushi or River Phoenix. Not sure which one takes the bigger prize of my shock.

knothere Guest
    The ones from F A D that shocked me were Judith Barsi, Johnathan Brandis, Dominque Dunne, the Quinn guy from roseanne and lots more.

Danny62 Guest
    Don knotts! I love watching "TAGS" so I just could not believe he died. Plus he seemed like a really decent person.

Maybe that is why I made it a point to visit his grave in Sept of this year.

But I really could not believe he was gone!

candleinthewind Guest
    For me it was Michael Landon and Bill Bixby. I grew up watching both of them and couldn't believe that actors I enjoyed so much were gone. They both kept working and making appearances as long as they could even through terminal cancer.

Most definately River Phoenix. The day (night) he died, I was helping my fiance move into the new home we had just purchased, so I wasn't watching the news, or anything. I didn't find out until a week or so later. Then I was stunned and shocked.

I still miss him...

Snoopy Guest
    I'd have to say the first to effect me like that was John Lennon..total disbelief that he died that way..then it was John Belushi..last time I felt the loss was John Ritter..he seemed so full of life and he seemed like such a sweet man.

erin Guest
    my first OMG! moment was "CarolAnne", the little girl from Poltergeist. Her real name escapes me at the moment. It was a blow for me becasue we were similar in age, and I couldn't believe someone my age could die. There have been many more for me, those OMG moments, but the worst were: John Candy, River Phoenix (also similar in age) and Brandon Lee.

Snoopy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by erin View Post
    my first OMG! moment was "CarolAnne", the little girl from Poltergeist. Her real name escapes me at the moment. It was a blow for me becasue we were similar in age, and I couldn't believe someone my age could die. There have been many more for me, those OMG moments, but the worst were: John Candy, River Phoenix (also similar in age) and Brandon Lee.
    Carol Anne her name was Heather O'Rourke..very strange about the stories of the cast of that film Dominique Dunne who played her sister is buried yards away from her at Westwood Memorial.

erin Guest
    I know. I have been there several times and have pix of their graves. Thanks for her name, too. I couldn't remember for the life of me.

Laura1020 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Raines View Post
    John Candy, definitely. I loved his movies like "Uncle Buck" and "Summer Rental" when I was a kid. I was about 11 when he died, and I was pretty upset...
    That was my first OMG moment with a celebrity's death, too. Another for me was Curt Cobain and I wasn't even a big Nirvana fan. Oh, and John Ritter. That got me good. I was IN LOVE with Jack Tripper when I was 5!
    Last edited by Laura1020; 10-09-2007 at 07:54 AM. Reason: More info

SinKittyVixen Guest
    Well. I know this one is stupid. But Anna Nicole. Tho, I think I was more shocked cause I felt so bad for Dannielynn. When I heard it on the radio, I actually called the station. I felt bad for Dannie, but peace that she was with her son, Daniel.
    It was crazy.
    ~SinKitty

GhostWorld Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Raines View Post
    That was my first too and I was 11 as well.

But the one that made me the most ultimate OMG and it hit me was Mitch Hedberg (he was an actor! He played the guy at the snack place on That 70s Show [albeit briefly], smoked fake pot with the real Peter Frampton [briefly] in Almost Famous, and was the Urathayne Wheels guy in Lords of Dogtown [briefly]).

Guest Guest
    Selena Quintanilla. The death of her shocked me so much I named my daughter after her only spelled Salina.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    like a lot of you, I would have to say John Ritter. he was the SHIT! I loved that guy growing up. and Real Men with him and Jim Belushi is SUPER funny. such a shame to be taken so young.

Nik Guest
    George Harrison. I was too young when Jim Henson died to really comprehend what I was hearing, but when I turned on the TV that day and saw that George had died, I cried.

Now you wait for any member of The Monkees to kick it and I'll be sobbing hysterically for days. I kid you not.

SEL2323 Guest
    Selena and Princess Diana. it was so strange to think they had died....and in such tragic ways!

Darrianne Guest
    There are two that vividly stand out - Elvis, naturally - and Freddie Prinze. I was 12 or 13 and totally in love with that handsome dude! It really depressed me.

Garry1960 Guest
    Not an actor, but probably Bobby Kennedy. I think I was home from school, I would have been about eight and I remember the news about him being shot, with no further news as to his condition. It seemed to be an age before the radio announced that he'd died.

Darrianne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deathybrad View Post
    John Candy, another one of those guys you felt like you were friends with even though you'd never met him...
    That sums it up! And the last movie he was working on, "Wagons East". I have a copy. Kinda cheesy but I liked it - I am gonna watch it tonight since you reminded me of how much I love John.

majcm Guest
    I remember being shocked at Andy Gibb's death and also Princess Diana, but the one I thought, "He can't be dead" and still think that way is John F. Kennedy, Jr. Along with young Elvis Presley, the best looking man I have ever seen! Perfect! He also seemed so grounded and unspoiled for his circumstances. And a sense of humor too. RIP.

MPetro108 Guest
    It would have to be Jim Croce and Elvis

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    I had a huge crush on Rebecca Schaffer when she was murdered. I was about 14 at the time and watch her show every week. Too bad and too young...

ComputerGuy Guest
    Dana Plato. Too Bad

Gia Marie Guest
    Anna Nicole ,I think had the biggets impact on me, due to the circumstances surrounding her death and her son..I just couldn't get past it for weeks..haunting~

Yodaett Guest
    I have to go with Rick James. Being from Buffalo I always rooted for him to clean his life up and with the new fame he gained from the Chapelle show I was deeply saddened to see him gone.

onehunglow Guest
    Dan Blocker. The Hoss went down. A shame.

ernie kovacs,marilynn,jfk dorothy killgallen

keef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by soundqcar View Post
    John Wayne. I didn't think he was capable of such a thing.
    Definitely the Duke for me. I can remember my mum was driving me home from school & it was on the radio. I was eight years old & I couldn't speak, John Wayne was dead.

Thank God I still had Clint Eastwood ... although I think it hurt even more a couple of years later when I saw bloody 'Bronco Billy'

K.
    Last edited by keef; 10-09-2007 at 03:59 PM.

I think the first was River Phoenix. I had such a thing for him. John Ritter, Anna Nicole, and her son, Jonathan Brandis, Phil Hartman.

And Freddie Mercury of course- that was a big shock to me.

Jim Henson was a shocker...I was a huge muppet fan growing up so that was hard. Phil Hartman also was a shocker, he was a huge talent.
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

OBX Guest
    Not an actor, per se, but John F. Kennedy. I was only 8, but it was a devastating moment. It can't be explained by today's politicians, but he really reached down to even the youngest kids. Everyone knew him and was proud of him. My parents were so happy a Catholic had been elected president, others were happy to have such a young president with a young family. Then in the afternoon at school, teachers crying and finally telling the kids what happened and sending us home. It was really traumatic and little kids were walking home from school in shock. 44+ years later and I can still remember the walk home.

hoxharding Guest

Dominique Dunne

Dominique(spelling bad today) is the one for me. I had seen her in Poltergeist. Plus, I got to see this show with her in it, it was based on
    the film 'Breaking Away'
    She was so vibrant and alive-it was such a shock what happened to her.

MissyT Guest

Strange mix....

For me there are two celebrities who stand out in my mind as being a shocker when they keeled. The first for me in memory is definitely River Phoenix. I loved him so very much and was 14 when he died but had always had that girly dream we'd marry one day. (Yeah, right!) I swear I had every newspaper article and magazine cover for years regarding his death. Just too young and too talented. Apparently too stupid as well.

The other shocker came recently. Though I hate to consider this piece an 'actress' I guess technically she was. Anna Nicole. I don't know why I was so shocked, since you could see a fast decline from the time her son died. I guess it was just sad, really. Here was a woman who's mother was dog sh*t (can we cuss here?), whose first idiot-boy husband was a redneck loser who caught a break and rode the wave till it rode her. The one person in her life who was there just because and not for money was her son and he was taken from her so horribly. It felt so bad to know he had died and to see her being exploited in her grief on every network and tabloid. Then to hear she had died, I wondered if it wasn't suicide. If it weren't for her daughter, I would have pegged her dead a few days after Daniel.

Ok, ok. Enough with the rambling! Sorry all....I just love we have a forum!

hoover6742 Guest
    Mine was Lucille Ball.. I was 22, and I heard about it at work. I was such a Lucy fan since I was a small kid, I went into the bathroom and had a good cry.

vintagesole Guest
    Wow! Good question! I would have to say Anna Nicole. I know how that sounds but I was shocked when I heard the news. I said shocked, not suprised! )

kelbons Guest
    The first celebrity death I remember when it happened was John Lennon. I was seven... I remember watching coverage on an NYC TV station...

xenaswolf Guest
    Peter Duel from Alias Smith and Jones. I cried for days...I was probably around 5 or so.