Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brad Davis

Brad Davis

Okay, I was surprised this guy was not on the board, so I added him here. Biography from IMDB Matthew Patay. Thanks Matt!

Date of Birth

6 November 1949, Tallahassee, Florida, USA

Date of Death

8 September 1991, Los Angeles, California, USA (AIDS)

Birth Name

Robert Creel Davis

Height

5' 9" (1.75 m)

Mini Biography

Born in Florida in 1949, Brad Davis moved to Georgia after graduating from high school to pursue an acting career. From there, he moved to New York City, twice, to find work. By the early 1970s Davis was acting in off-Broadway plays while studying acting at the Academy of Dramatic Arts. His stage work led to his movie debut and to television shows such as the hit Sybil (1976) (TV) and the mini-series "Roots" (1977). His biggest success was in 1978 with the lead role in Midnight Express (1978) where he played Billy Hayes, a young American imprisoned in Turkey for drug smuggling. It won him a Golden Globe award.

Another memorable movie role in 1982 was playing the title character of Querelle (1982), a ruggedly lethal sailor who seduces and sets both men and women's hearts aflutter.

Davis contracted AIDS in 1979 apparently from his one-time cocaine addiction, but in response to the anti-AIDS hysteria in Hollywood, Davis kept his illness a secret for a number of years and continued to act. His later years had him finally revealing that he had AIDS and he became an AIDS activist in bashing the Hollywood industry and US government for ignoring and shunning victims suffering from the hideous disease. Davis died in 1991 at age 41. His widow, Susan Bluestein, continues his activist work in the fight against AIDS.
    IMDb Mini Biography By: Matthew Patay

One of the finest movies ever made.

I remember that his wife had written a book about BRAD and his battle with aids.

He was one of the few white actors in ROOTS II who played a sympathetic role- most of the whites were portrayed as having been cold & indifferent. IMO his signature roles were that of
    BILLY HAYES in MIDNIGHT EXPRESS and his turn in QUERELLE.

KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

scott69 Guest
    I'm debating whether or not to buy this book, what makes me say this is according to other sources (including Wikipedia) Brad WAS bisexual and in this book his wife denies this claim and wants to argue about it, Whats the big deal if he was bi?!?!....
    I think she's just trying to sell a book and make a profit off her dead husband and is way too embarrassed to accept and acknowledge that she was married to a bisexual man.

Roots! I was just a child when that came out. I remember him but my memory is fuzzy as hell, I thought he played a bad guy.

The things we remember as children, eh? A hazy memory and this guy's penetrating gaze.

Quote Originally Posted by scott69 View Post
    I'm debating whether or not to buy this book, what makes me say this is according to other sources (including Wikipedia) Brad WAS bisexual and in this book his wife denies this claim and wants to argue about it, Whats the big deal if he was bi?!?!....
    I think she's just trying to sell a book and make a profit off her dead husband and is way too embarrassed to accept and acknowledge that she was married to a bisexual man.
    I don't care if he's bisexual, gay, or straight. Supposedly he was but he's dead now, so who cares? She shouldn't quibble.

From what I read in Amazon, she doesn't come off well in the book. She name drops, and fawns all over her husband who was abusive. But he isn't innocent either. Now, if you're gonna take drugs, fine, take them.
    But when you have a kid, you should put down the drugs and focus on your kid.

Dane Guest
    I remember him from his role in Chiefs, which was a really good miniseries (and the book's excellent too, if you can get your hands on either). He played an asshole chief of police with quite a memorable death/burial scene.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I don't understand her vehement denial of his bisexuality either...makes no sense to me unless she feels it somehow reflected poorly on her.

Brad Davis was an excellent actor and, imo, one of the sexiest men ever to grace the silver screen. He is missed.
    ---
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	304133699_91857b8fef_o.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	15369   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	index-1.jpeg 
Views:	66 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	15370   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	index.jpeg 
Views:	71 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	15371  

TIMB1967 Guest
    Agree to all you have said. He was a fine actor and a handsome man to boot. Thanks, Tobi, for adding his name to the threads. He deserves to be remembered.

monroe62 Guest
    I am having a hard time believing he was infected in 1979 and remained relatively healthy looking when everyone else was dropping like flies within two years after becoming walking skeletons.

Heck, they didn't even have AZT until the late 80s. When I sero-converted in 1991, that was all they had to treat the disease.

That's got to be a guess at best.

scott69 Guest

Question

Quote Originally Posted by monroe62 View Post
    I am having a hard time believing he was infected in 1979 and remained relatively healthy looking when everyone else was dropping like flies within two years after becoming walking skeletons.

Heck, they didn't even have AZT until the late 80s. When I sero-converted in 1991, that was all they had to treat the disease.

That's got to be a guess at best.
    I was thinking the same thing myself! I was also wondering what year did he and his wife marry and what year did she give birth to their daughter, wouldn't they also be infected?

Fancynancy Guest
    Old George in Roots-- yeah he was one of the good guys! And the hapless sheriff ( Sonny?) in Chiefs. Two great mini-series.

monroe62 Guest
    I was thinking the same thing myself! I was also wondering what year did he and his wife marry and what year did she give birth to their daughter, wouldn't they also be infected?
    They were married in 1979.

He joined AA/NA and became sober in 1981.

Daughter was born in 1983.

He was diagnosed in 1985.

Died by assisted suicide 1991.

He definitely was infected in 1984 or 85 depending when he tested positive. No way he could have sex with wife and she give birth with both of them negative if he was positive.

De Nile is a river in Egypt.

scott69 Guest

Angry

They were married in 1979.

He joined AA/NA and became sober in 1981.

Daughter was born in 1983.

He was diagnosed in 1985.

Died by assisted suicide 1991.

He definitely was infected in 1984 or 85 depending when he tested positive. No way he could have sex with wife and she give birth with both of them negative if he was positive.

De Nile is a river in Egypt.
    I agree! I'm beginning to smell something fishy.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Hmmm well that is not true that his wife and child would have been infected.
    Magic Johnsons wife has a child after he became infected and neither she or the kid were HIV positive. They said the same thing about Hep c.and I have living proof in my house that a mother infected can have a chilkd without it being infected with hep c.
    I never heard anything about him being Bi but as with anyone in gollywood, they say everyone is gay or bi. I dont buy it and his wife probably isnt buying it either. I would think that if she thinks her husband was straight arrow she most certainly has the right to say so and to believe it, after all the only one in their bed was them ,and not the public. It just always seems to be the same old story, cruise,Pitt, Travolta ,whomever,if they are male and a movie star they must be gay lol almost like it must be true because I heard it in a love song or read it in the NE. lol

MoonRabbit Guest

Brad Davis was such a great looking guy and a
    terrific actor too.
    I was shocked when he died so young.

Loves me some Midnight Express, which was based on a true story.

RIP Mr. Davis
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Nicki Guest
    Midnight Express was a helluv good movie. Excellent Actor very much still miss him!

Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    I remember that his wife had written a book about BRAD and his battle with aids.

He was one of the few white actors in ROOTS II who played a sympathetic role- most of the whites were portrayed as having been cold & indifferent. IMO his signature roles were that of
    BILLY HAYES in MIDNIGHT EXPRESS and his turn in QUERELLE.

Picked up a used copy of the book tonight on alibris.com for 3 bucks.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I don't know much of AIDS, but he looked pretty healthy when he was said to have gotten it. Then again, you can't tell by someone's appearance.

Fine actor.

Fine everything else!

monroe62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    Hmmm well that is not true that his wife and child would have been infected.
    Magic Johnsons wife has a child after he became infected and neither she or the kid were HIV positive. They said the same thing about Hep c.and I have living proof in my house that a mother infected can have a chilkd without it being infected with hep c.
    Magic became infected in 1991 and his son was born in 1993 (ten years after Brad's daughter). I'm sure in those two years, he was able to afford the best medical care which would have brough his viral load (amount of virus in his system) down to possibly undetectable - making it more probable that his wife and child wouldn't be infected. And if they put his wife on meds, and then to the baby after he was born, yes, the chance of them being infected is greatly reduced.

As for Brad, IF he was infected as early as they claim, then his viral load would've been extremely high as there was no known treatment to successfully fight the virus - thereby increasing the chances of him infecting his wife and child.

In 1982 (as his daughter was born in 83), science still hadn't begun to figure out the disease and I can't see him running the risk of infecting his wife to have a child.

While it's entirely possible that everything is the way they say it happended, my experiences before with friends who got sick, and my own experiences after I sero-converted, it's not adding up.

scott69 Guest

Wink

Magic became infected in 1991 and his son was born in 1993 (ten years after Brad's daughter). I'm sure in those two years, he was able to afford the best medical care which would have brough his viral load (amount of virus in his system) down to possibly undetectable - making it more probable that his wife and child wouldn't be infected. And if they put his wife on meds, and then to the baby after he was born, yes, the chance of them being infected is greatly reduced.

As for Brad, IF he was infected as early as they claim, then his viral load would've been extremely high as there was no known treatment to successfully fight the virus - thereby increasing the chances of him infecting his wife and child.

In 1982 (as his daughter was born in 83), science still hadn't begun to figure out the disease and I can't see him running the risk of infecting his wife to have a child.

While it's entirely possible that everything is the way they say it happended, my experiences before with friends who got sick, and my own experiences after I sero-converted, it's not adding up.
    Well said Monroe62!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I agree also. Magic's viral load would have been heavily suppressed; Brad's not at all. The level of infection in Brad's bloodstream and organs would have been thousands of times more virulent than Magic's.

So what year do you he most likely had AIDS? Late 80s?

monroe62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TOBI View Post
    So what year do you he most likely had AIDS? Late 80s?
    I would probably say in late 1984 or early 85 depending upon when in 85 he was tested. At the time, I believe it was a six-month incubation period from infection to diagnosis.

For myself, I calculate that I was infected in Jan/Feb 91 and was diagnosed in May same year. It took my dentist noticing the thrush in my mouth for me to get tested.

In fact, she and I were talking about that today when I went and got my teeth cleaned.
    Last edited by monroe62; 08-04-2009 at 04:23 PM.

cherryghost Guest
    Very beautiful man and not afraid of his sexuality or anyone elses ,by the looks of all the images here!

I'm gonna have to get his wife's book. Clearly he had talent.

Among other things! (Nope, that's not his wife) You gotta feel for her.

monroe62 Guest

Among other things! (Nope, that's not his wife) You gotta feel for her.
    I think that's Mrs. Ringo Starr - Barbara Bach, and the other man is one of the Bottoms brothers I'm guessing with Brad. Don't know the other woman.

monroe62 Guest

Clearly he had talent.
    Bulging, tan, glistening, firm, muscular talent.

And his acting wasn't bad either.

This photo is a living Tom of Finland illustration.

He did look good in that uniform. (Audible sigh. Boss now looking in my direction. I'll be back.)

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I'm going to have to get ahold of a copy of Querelle again, maybe turn off the volume and just watch...if I remember correctly, the film is so bad it's difficult to get through...except of course the juicy parts with Brad. It's actually so bad it's inadvertently hilarious.
    I remember when it came out in 1982 it was universally panned by critics, here's Leonard Maltin's byte:

Rating: BOMB

Querelle
    "Or, 'A Guy in Every Port.' Davis is the French sailor whose venture into an infamous whorehouse in Brest permits him to discover his true homosexual nature. Fassbinder's final film was rejected even by his admirers; gamy but slickly produced adaptation of Jean Genet novel induces boredom and giggles in equal measure."

whiskersonkittens Guest
    I saw Midnight Express several years ago-the edited for TV version, that is. Apparently there was a major scene with boobs pressed up against the glass that they edited out. I was quite struck by how awesome Brad Davis was, and why he wasn't a household name.

Of course, a few minutes later I'm on IMDB and learning of his early demise. He is so talented and handsome. Why hasn't death made him a legend?

I think he kind of resembles Brad Pitt. I may get reamed for that comment.

Quote Originally Posted by whiskersonkittens View Post
    I saw Midnight Express several years ago-the edited for TV version, that is. Apparently there was a major scene with boobs pressed up against the glass that they edited out. I was quite struck by how awesome Brad Davis was, and why he wasn't a household name.

Of course, a few minutes later I'm on IMDB and learning of his early demise. He is so talented and handsome. Why hasn't death made him a legend?

I think he kind of resembles Brad Pitt. I may get reamed for that comment.
    From what little I was able to read from his wife's book, (which I still may have to get) he alienated friends and more importantly, studio heads with his attitude, blatant arrogance and healthy disrespect soon after Midnight Express.

If only for his talent and later adjustment of attitude, he was still able to get work.

And yes, there is a resemblence to Brad Pitt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    I'm going to have to get ahold of a copy of Querelle again, maybe turn off the volume and just watch...if I remember correctly, the film is so bad it's difficult to get through...except of course the juicy parts with Brad. It's actually so bad it's inadvertently hilarious.
    I remember when it came out in 1982 it was universally panned by critics, here's Leonard Maltin's byte:

Rating: BOMB

Querelle
    "Or, 'A Guy in Every Port.' Davis is the French sailor whose venture into an infamous whorehouse in Brest permits him to discover his true homosexual nature. Fassbinder's final film was rejected even by his admirers; gamy but slickly produced adaptation of Jean Genet novel induces boredom and giggles in equal measure."
    Thank God for Netflix.

And speaking of Midnight Express..

scott69 Guest

Red face

Be still my beating heart!

Chariots of Fire. Never saw it. May have to.

Last edited by TOBI; 08-06-2009 at 10:02 AM.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Drink some coffee first...that movie is better than taking an Ambien if you want a good nap!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    Drink some coffee first...that movie is better than taking an Ambien if you want a good nap!

Ahhh, then maybe Querelle. For some more of this:

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Just keepin' the hunky photos coming...
    ---

Name:	index.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	15419   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	midnight-express-brad-davis1.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	15420   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fassbinder_querelle2.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	15421  

You raised 3, I'll add 1.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I'll see your one, and bump it one more...
    ---

Name:	brad_davis.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	15424  

And another one still!

A solemn note: The character he played in Midnight Express is still alive and going strong (knock on wood), while Mr. Davis, on the other hand passed away over 15 years ago.
    Last edited by TOBI; 08-10-2009 at 04:16 AM.

Tidbit: According to her book, Rue McClanahan (Blanche from the Golden Girls) wrote that in 1973, they were both in a play where he was playing her son. He didn't hide the fact that he had a crush on her.

Though she was 17 years older, (Brad being 23) they had an affair in her house, in her backyard. Where they were caught by a neighbor. Oops!

She said he was an excellent lover. You go, you cougar you!

scott69 Guest

Angry

Tidbit: According to her book, Rue McClanahan (Blanche from the Golden Girls) wrote that in 1973, they were both in a play where he was playing her son. He didn't hide the fact that he had a crush on her.

Though she was 17 years older, (Brad being 23) they had an affair in her house, in her backyard. Where they were caught by a neighbor. Oops!

She said he was an excellent lover. You go, you cougar you!
    I just don't believe that.... it sounds like OLD "Blanch" is trying to flatter herself, she has NEVER been known for her beauty and I seriously doubt someone as fine as Brad would have had a crush on her when he could have had anyone he wanted male of female.

monroe62 Guest
    Pretty people don't just sleep with other pretty people.

I just don't believe that.... it sounds like OLD "Blanch" is trying to flatter herself, she has NEVER been known for her beauty and I seriously doubt someone as fine as Brad would have had a crush on her when he could have had anyone he wanted male of female.
    Ha! If you're gonna write a book, you're putting yourself out there. I mean what's not to stop a reporter from finding out someone from that cast of that play to corroborate that story? So, I don't think lying would be in her best interests.

Secondly, she wasn't ugly. She played a couple of dowdy characters on television. That's what we remember her most as.

And finally, he was 23. Do you know how horny guys are at that age? If you've ever been at a club or 'hip' bar, you'll know what age-group usually populates those establishments.