Thread: DD Tour Suitable for kids?

Mickey Guest

DD Tour Suitable for kids?

I will be in LA next July with the family and was just wondering if the tour is okay to take with an 8 year old and a 9 year old. (they will be very close to 9 and 10 by that time) I ran out of time last summer when I was out with a friend...but I really think that I can talk my husband into going on this tour...don't know what I would do with the kiddies while we did this though.
    Thanks

Snoopy Guest
    We took our 12 year old this past May..(he takes after his mom ; D) and the only thing I can say is the book that Scott hands out has some graphic pics in it..but Scott is very good about what he says and how he describes things.

bulldog0728 Guest
    I agree, I took my 8 year old and Scott was very good about wording things around his understanding. Certain things may still be a little disturbing (I.E. you cant explain the black dahlia was cut in half ay nice way) I however dont see a point in shielding kids from the realities of the world.

Tombstone Tourist Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    I will be in LA next July with the family and was just wondering if the tour is okay to take with an 8 year old and a 9 year old. (they will be very close to 9 and 10 by that time) I ran out of time last summer when I was out with a friend...but I really think that I can talk my husband into going on this tour...don't know what I would do with the kiddies while we did this though.
    Thanks
    Watch a really gruesome episode of CSI with sex and drugs involved, and that is what you'll get on the tour. Scott uses alot of innuendo so there isn't a lot of cursing you have to worry about.

My daughter is 13 and I "edited" what pictures and handouts she was allowed to view and it was just fine. But anything under that might be questionable.

Since you are in the area, I highly recommend the Farmer's Market just down the street from the tour as well as Rodeo Drive. Both great places to walk around with kids.

Kathyf Guest
    I think they will be fine. No Worries. They don't have to look at the pics.
    Last edited by Kathyf; 11-13-2007 at 06:02 PM.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    Thanks
    Just dump the hubby and kids off at Disneyland!!!

Thats what I did. I dropped my wife and daughter off and drove up to Hollywood and went on the tour!!

Krissypoo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone Tourist View Post
    Watch a really gruesome episode of CSI with sex and drugs involved, and that is what you'll get on the tour. Scott uses alot of innuendo so there isn't a lot of cursing you have to worry about.

My daughter is 13 and I "edited" what pictures and handouts she was allowed to view and it was just fine. But anything under that might be questionable.

Since you are in the area, I highly recommend the Farmer's Market just down the street from the tour as well as Rodeo Drive. Both great places to walk around with kids.
    Dang nab it, I was in this very area in June and I did not go on the tour! What was I thinking? I wasn't I guess.

disco Guest
    Well we cant take the kids everywhere now can we? I like being a death hag, its intriging. But I dont let any of the kids in or around my house know it. They dont wanna hear nuthin bout no death, they to young and to them, death is not a possibility and it aint really gonna happen.

SuckMyKiss Guest
    I don't think kids should be sheltered from stuff like this. Death is a part of life, they are gonna have to learn that sometime.

Noelle Page Guest
    8 and 9? Oh, nononono, don't do that, please. With all due respect. Kids can't process this morbid stuff the way we do. They need us to filter it out as long as possible. Get hubby to be a sport. Sorry, I just feel strongly about this.

bulldog0728 Guest
    just do what i did, take them on the tour and then tell them that people only die in hollywood. lol. j.k. anyway what happens when your kids have a grandparent that dies when your child is 8 how do you explain it? dot shelter them from the realities of the world or they will grow up to be a school shooter.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    8 and 9? Oh, nononono, don't do that, please. With all due respect. Kids can't process this morbid stuff the way we do. They need us to filter it out as long as possible. Get hubby to be a sport. Sorry, I just feel strongly about this.
    I think kids that age would get bored sitting in the van for 3 and a half hours in my opinon??

Plus all the potty breaks!! LOL

But I think teenagers would be okay to go on the tour!

Mickey Guest

Thanks

Thanks to all for the info. While I we do have healthy talks about life and death, I will probably wait until I take another "girls trip" to the great state to take the tour. Actually, my mom passed a few years ago and we visit the cemetary regularly....what a fun place to play hide and seek!!

How come nobody volunteered to babysit??????????

Noelle Page Guest
    We took our kids on the movie star home tour--mostly a total blast, but some of the death sites did freak them out a bit--Janis and River Phoenix for example. Just conjured up scary images in their heads.I agree we should be matter-of-fact with kids about death as a natural part of life, but wouldnt want them to fixate on it,, especially the really morbid/sordid stuff. That's our guilty pleasure as adults! ;-) Besides, with a friend, you can really dish freely.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I probably wouldn't take pre-teens, aside from the fact this is pretty gruesome stuff we're dealing with, it would probably force Scott to "tone it down" a bit, which would take away from the whole experience for the adults!

bulldog0728 Guest
    im telling you from experience that scott is great at toning it down by using words they dont understand i.e. excrement instead of SHIT

erin Guest
    Me, personally, I wouldn't take the kids on the tour. My kids know the realities of life and death, and I have never hidden anything from them about it. But the tour, to me, is sort of "grown up fun time," ya know what I mean. You can't truly be yourself or have the kind of interaction with Scott and the other death hags that you may want. And, from personal experience, my kids are quite knowlegable about certain things, since mommy has an unusual hobby, and works at the vet's office where animals don't make it alot of the time, but sometimes they completely freak out over really unexpected things. You never know what will affect them and what won't, so it's a good idea to keep them away from those certain things until you're positive they won't flip. I'd take Danny's advice and drop the hubby and kids off at Disneyland or Universal, and do the tour on your own.

bulldog0728 Guest
    the point i was getting is it is probably best not to bring kids if you can find an alternative, however has anyone logically thought about getting to disneyland then the dd tour all in one morning (not gonna happen in LA) if you can find an alternative your better off but taking the kids wont hurt them. to me the dd tour was an all day thing we met at 10 am, i stayed in calabasas and it took me two hours to get to hollywood. it ended about 2:30-3:00 by the time i got back it was dinner time.
    Last edited by bulldog0728; 12-09-2007 at 01:57 AM.

miz rosebud Guest
    Ifyou wanna hear the real dirt,Leave the kiddies at home.Some things arent appropriate for childrens ears.Why do you wanna explain these things if you dont have too.just my opinion.

bulldog0728 Guest
    again easy to leave the kids home when you live in LA if your traveling as most of scotts customers are thats not an option.

Lifeisafataldisease Guest
    Also depends on the kid, I have 1 boy who would absolutely love it and be intrigued by everything and not be bothered a bit by gruesomness (who bred that child?) My other boy is the opposite and I would probably never take on something like this. Parents know their kids best, do it only if you think that they can handle it. I so want to come over there and take the tour but I'm frightened of the plane ride!!! oh and I'm broke

Jazbabee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by miz rosebud View Post
    Ifyou wanna hear the real dirt,Leave the kiddies at home.Some things arent appropriate for childrens ears.Why do you wanna explain these things if you dont have too.just my opinion.
    I have to agree with miz on this. Please don't get me wrong, I have kids, and I love them to death. But when I finally am able to make it on this tour, I would want it to be kid free, so that I can hear all the dirt and dish with no holds barred. I just think that some things are not particularly geared toward nor intended for kids, and it changes the entire experience

kdeazell Guest
    My 13 yr old dgtr went. She loved it and loves Scotty to death. (she loves telling her friends too she went) She's 15 now and asking when we going again. I think it's the maturaty level of your kid. Under 12 and how mature they are. I'd say think about it.
    Kim

NOVSTORM Guest
    My 16 yr old grand daughter would "die" to go on his tour. SHe loves his site.
    AWhen I get a chance I am going to take her. Little kids? Naw and really I think that
    when we take the tour we should be able to let our hair down and that is kind of hard with the kids around. Now with my 16 yr old she see me let my hair down all the time. Nothing would surprise her lol

Mickey Guest
    Thanks for all of the advice....I wasn't quite sure just how gruesome the tour would be. I will take them when they are older...let them see the other side of me. I just am kicking myself for not taking the tour last summer when my friend and I went to LA for our 40th birthday. One of these days..........

kimmer927 Guest
    Depends on the kids. Younger ones might be more bored than scared and older might love or hate it.

miz rosebud Guest

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    I have to agree with miz on this. Please don't get me wrong, I have kids, and I love them to death. But when I finally am able to make it on this tour, I would want it to be kid free, so that I can hear all the dirt and dish with no holds barred. I just think that some things are not particularly geared toward nor intended for kids, and it changes the entire experience

it would change the experience.you wanna hear scott tell you the way its suppose to be said not a covered up one.if you cant get a babysitter that sucks.But honestly i think i would tripout if i saw a kid on the tour.its very grown up subject matter.

bulldog0728 Guest
    not trying to explain this anymore. The tour is not gruesome its historical. people thinking the tour is gruesome are the reasons scott gets hate mail. the only gruesome part is the black dahlia, the menendez house and the labiancas. also last time trying this if you live in LA as miz does its easy to go on the tour alone. why would you want to go on the tour anyways you live right there. i ventured out there from wisconsin and would rather have a "held back" tour than no tour at all.
    Last edited by bulldog0728; 12-15-2007 at 10:15 AM.

The tour is no more gruesome than an episode of CSI. Honestly. I'm not trying to sell this thing to you, you know your own kids, you judge your own situation. I've had tons of kids on board. Never had a problem.

Just wondering, if there were children on the tour, don't you think Scott would be a little held back. Being careful of what is said. And not giving the adults the full jest of the tour.

bulldog0728 Guest
    nevermind do as you do, as i said answer my question now. travelling from 3000 miles away wouldnt you rather have a held back tour than no tour at all (i dont think it was held back)

I would rather have the full extent of it. And before we start to have a misunderstanding here. (I am a very sweet person) I didn'[t say he held back. I have never been on the tour. I was just thinking maybe he would tone it down some, for the sake of the child. Thats it.

kdeazell Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Michaels View Post
    The tour is no more gruesome than an episode of CSI. Honestly. I'm not trying to sell this thing to you, you know your own kids, you judge your own situation. I've had tons of kids on board. Never had a problem.
    And we LOVE CSI and Scott.. LOL!!!
    Kim

bulldog0728 Guest
    so the answer to this puzzling question is you need to make your own decisions and not judge others for theirs. im sure more people than not would rather have a toned down tour then no tour at all. The bottom line is that it isnt meant to be a gruesome tour. It is a history tour (Scott is a historian) Honestly anyone who would argue this without having been on the tour is arguing something they dont understand. Its not all murder, we went up to take pictures of the hollywood sign, went to will rogers park and saw the fish, went to the road the beverly hillbillies drove down during the open scene (yes he plays the theme music its awesome. Saw david arquette lol, the playboy mansion, but like i said make your own decisions.

miz rosebud Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog0728 View Post
    so the answer to this puzzling question is you need to make your own decisions and not judge others for theirs. im sure more people than not would rather have a toned down tour then no tour at all. The bottom line is that it isnt meant to be a gruesome tour. It is a history tour (Scott is a historian) Honestly anyone who would argue this without having been on the tour is arguing something they dont understand. Its not all murder, we went up to take pictures of the hollywood sign, went to will rogers park and saw the fish, went to the road the beverly hillbillies drove down during the open scene (yes he plays the theme music its awesome. Saw david arquette lol, the playboy mansion, but like i said make your own decisions.

even if you live in los angeles take the tour!!!! I didnt know alot of what was on his tour we had a great time.So even if you do live in los angeles take the tour gawd bulldog!!!

knothere Guest
    bring the kids or dont

bulldog0728 Guest
    heres a better answer, if you need to ask if you should take your kids you probably shouldnt have kids. parenting is about making your own decisions. if you. miz you make no sense what i was saying is if you live in L.A. you dont need to take your kids as you can easily find something to do with them, if you dont live in L.A. its not that easy. If you can avoid taking kids it probably for the better but your not going to hurt them by going. So then its better to have a toned down tour then no tour. perhaps maybe we should ask britney spears mom or maybe the lohans for parenting advice?

knothere Guest
    lol if i ever get to take the tour my kid is 16 now so maybe heel be 45 by the time i get there lol

1karenhb Guest
    I have taken 2 of Scott's tours and there were no kids on either tour nor would I reccommend it. Scott tells it like it is and that can be harsh sometimes.

miz rosebud Guest
    i was in a hurry last time i posted.but all im saying is take the tour.and if you cant leave the kiddies at home take them too.But i wouldnt want to be held back on info because children are on the tour is all im saying.You know scott will be appropriate anyway .

miz rosebud Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post

i agree with you!!

Jazbabee Guest
    Having 2 children of my own, when I am able to make the tour, I would prefer to do it without the kids. I just feel some things are more adult oriented, and are best kept that way. I wouldn't want anyone to hold back due to the presence of children. I want to enjoy the tour to it's fullest !!

ReluctantDeathHag Guest
    My kids were 8 and 13 when I took them on the tour. Kids see worse on television whether you know it or not! Scott tells it like it is and so do I. It is a great way to talk to your kids aobut drugs and the company you keep. After the tour and on the way home it opened up huge discussions about not doing drugs, opening your door to strange people, keeping your doors locked, being careful of the company you keep.....just stuff that most people don't think about that would probably have insured some of the "stars" on the tour wouldn't have been on the tour. I developed my "death haggery" by reading my mom's murder books and magazines and listening to "Mystery Theatre". My kids have developed their "death haggery" in the same manner. To quote Will-I-am....they got it from their mama! But, if your children are sheltered then I wouldn't bring them.

Noelle Page Guest
    13, ok. Eight....well, I know my eight year old would act cool on the tour, but fixate on details later, at bedtime.

lisalouver Guest
    Is there any food on the tour!!!

J/K!

erin Guest
    it's been said before, it really does depend on the child. some will be ok, some will get bored and some would get freaked out. i, personally, wouldn't take my kids because the whole death hag "thing" is MY thing right now, and I enjoy being able to go out without being Mom for a while. When the kids get older and are more capable of dealing with the sadder aspects of the tour, then they will go with me. It is the decision of the individual parent, and they should try to make the right decision for their own child.

Mickey Guest
    okaaaaay......

motherogod Guest
    Thank you so much for asking! I'm thinking about returning to LA with my son who will be 13 in May... now I don't have to ask! He's already a death hag, and I try to monitor how deep he gets into it. He's just at the stage of wanting to know how and if possible why a person died.