Thread: New Barker Ranch video posted!

Filmmaker78 Guest

New Barker Ranch video posted!

We just uploaded a quick piece on the fire at Barker Ranch:

http://vimeo.com/5445091

kimmer927 Guest
    Nice and slightly creepy...especially the part of "and I swore I would never visit again"...

I wish ya'll would have stopped by here and said Hey!

Quote Originally Posted by Filmmaker78 View Post
    We just uploaded a quick piece
    That's what she said.

Thanks Mike.
    Hero Worship - They Deserve it. I preserve it.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Michaels View Post
    That's what she said.

Thanks Mike.
    snort

knothere Guest
    i hope they dont rebuild the barker ranch
    in my opinion its just like a tribute to them

Hobbes12 Guest
    Why rebuild it???

cachluv Guest
    The walls on the inside give it a Blair Witch Project feel. Spooky. Thanks !!!

Filmmaker78 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes12 View Post
    Why rebuild it???

To the people who live in the area, Barker is more than just the place the Manson's lived. The house was built by a family that lived there and raised their kids there in the 50's. There are a number of similar homesteads throughout the region, but they're disappearing.

I think that for the locals, the place has historical significance far beyond the Manson Family, who were only there for a few months. I think the Manson connection is a dark spot on the ranch's long history and the people there want it rebuilt for other, more wholesome reasons. And I think if anyone rebuilds it, it'll be a cooperative effort between some locals and the park service.

Hobbes12 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Filmmaker78 View Post
    To the people who live in the area, Barker is more than just the place the Manson's lived. The house was built by a family that lived there and raised their kids there in the 50's. There are a number of similar homesteads throughout the region, but they're disappearing.

I think that for the locals, the place has historical significance far beyond the Manson Family, who were only there for a few months. I think the Manson connection is a dark spot on the ranch's long history and the people there want it rebuilt for other, more wholesome reasons. And I think if anyone rebuilds it, it'll be a cooperative effort between some locals and the park service.
    But it wouldnt ever be famous w/o the Manson family...thats the only reason it as stay around this long...and that well be the only reason they rebuild if they do that...

Filmmaker78 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes12 View Post
    But it wouldnt ever be famous w/o the Manson family...thats the only reason it as stay around this long...and that well be the only reason they rebuild if they do that...

I visited one of the local Death Valley message boards right after the fire. Supposedly there are other houses in the area as old as Barker that are still in good shape and still visited regularly by people who do recreational stuff in that area. The locals love the old ranches and buildings out there.

I agree that Barker is famous because of the Manson connection. But the locals are the people who will rebuild it, if it happens, and they actually loath the Manson connection. (I found that out the hard way.)

knothere Guest
    tanks for the clarity filmmaker

TIMB1967 Guest
    Thank, Mike, for the link. That was interesting. I didn't realize the extent of the damage. I do hope they opt to rebuild it.