Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Karl Malden

cachluv Guest

This is from January 2006, with wife Mona Malden.

Last edited by cachluv; 07-01-2009 at 03:51 PM.

Guest Guest
    R.I.P Karl. Another great gone!

cachluv Guest
    He was also from Gary, Indiana.

Bad week for Gary, Indiana.

TallulahDahling Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneBoleyn View Post
    OMG Michael Jackson died... how did they keep that quiet?
    Allright Hags.....whose got the best sarcasm award? It now must go to Ms. Boleyn...hand it over!!

Tebssis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    My favorite Karl Malden role was Herbie in Gypsy with Roz Russell & Natalie Wood. One of the best character actors who ever lived.

So long, Herbie...

"Wherever we go, whatever we do,
    we're gonna go through it together.
    We may not go far, but sure as a star,
    wherever we are, it's together.

Wherever I go I know he goes.
    Wherever I go I know she goes.
    No fits, no fights, no feuds
    and no egos, Amigos, together!

Through thick and through thin,
    all out or all in.
    And whether it's win, place or show.
    With you for me and me for you,
    we'll muddle through whatever we do.
    Together, wherever we go.

Rose, Louise & Herbie
    Wherever we go, whatever we do,
    we're gonna go through it together."
    ---
    You KNOW this is my favorite of his roles too!! Outstanding actor. Thanks for this post, dear!
    RIP Karl, there was nobody like you.

What a life for Karl Malden! 97 and married 70 years...amazing! RIP Mr. Malden.

Quote Originally Posted by TallulahDahling View Post
    Allright Hags.....whose got the best sarcasm award? It now must go to Ms. Boleyn...hand it over!!
    I´ll take good care of it.. I promise
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Love is the answer - and you know that for sure.

Nelliebean Guest
    Wonderful career!

Anyone who could work with Michael Douglas's oversized ego is REALLY an actor.

9. 07-01-2009, 04:54 PM

Meliss9900 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JJames View Post
    David Carridine
    Ed McMahon
    Farrah Fawcett

Michael Jackson
    Billy Mays
    Karl Madden

still applies
    Don't for get Gale Storm (My little Margie) and Fred Travalena. . one more to go.

More Cheese Please Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Hells bells, I thought he'd been dead for years
    Me too! I loved him in Streetcar Named Desire and of course Streets of San Francisco.... (it's hard to think of Michael Douglas as once being so hot!)

RIP Mr. Malden....

His nose will arrive in heaven 10 minutes before he does. Wonder if they slip an American Express card into his pocket before they plant him? Great marketing opportunity here.

RIP Fella.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

John Connor Guest
    Great actor. I have to say his wife looks very young. She must be close to his age.

crescentia Guest
    I honestly thought that he had already died.

ZoeAnne Guest
    RIP Karl

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrwzeigle View Post
    I loved him in Patton, and that nose! one of his strongest features (not to be a smartass)!

I think God is thinning the celebrity herd...young and old
    He had a strange looking nose but he was still a handsome man.
    I couldn't get over nose sizes in "Streetcar named Desire".

Vivien Leigh's tiny nose and Karl Malden's huge nose!
    Gad was Vivien gorgeous!

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    His nose will arrive in heaven 10 minutes before he does. Wonder if they slip an American Express card into his pocket before they plant him? Great marketing opportunity here.

RIP Fella.
    You are funny!!!!!

Long Gone Day Guest
    I loved him in "Pollyanna", too. He seemed bigger than life. RIP Karl

beatlebaby4 Guest
    RIP Karl. Can't believe how many celebs are dying lately. At least Karl had a full and long life. God Bless.

RIP Mr. Malden.
    You were one of my faves.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Philliefan View Post
    What a life for Karl Malden! 97 and married 70 years...amazing! RIP Mr. Malden.

Ditto...RIP Karl.

leevancleef Guest
    I was watching One Eyed Jacks last week and thinking how amazing it was that he was still around. I absolutely adore him as an actor, he had a fabulous career. May he rest in peace, you'll be terribly missed Karl!

TheMysterian Guest
    an excdellent actor who will be missed

Bidmor Guest
    Another surprise when I sat down last night and turned on the tv.

I'll repeat it...we're losing our great actors sadly, but in Karl's case (as Ed's) time stops for no one.

My two favorite Karl Malden roles were Gen. Omar Bradley in "Patton" and Shooter in "The Cincinnati Kid". Karl struck me as a gentleman who appreciated his craft and his public...I've never heard of any untoward behavior by him off screen. He was one helluva actor.

From "Patton"...
    Soldier (who doesn't recognize Bradley): What silly son of a bitch is in charge of this operation?
    Omar Bradley (Malden): I don't know, but they oughta hang him.

Bradley (Malden) to Patton (Scott): There's one big difference between you and me, George. I do this job because I've been trained to do it. You do it because you LOVE it.
    Last edited by Bidmor; 07-02-2009 at 10:53 AM.

michellezearing Guest

RIP Karl

RIP Karl

Somewhere twixt San Antonio & Corpus Christi
    I thought he was great in Baby Doll. Archie wasn't very likable, but you felt sorry for him.

Loved One-eyed Jacks and On The Waterfront as well.

RIP Mladen Sekulovich.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

American Progress

Malden said a few years ago that he made more money after the age of 60 ( from Streets of Fran and commercials) than he did from movies before the age of 60.

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Malden said a few years ago that he made more money after the age of 60 ( from Streets of Fran and commercials) than he did from movies before the age of 60.
    I can believe that. Karl Malden was highly respected as a man and as
    an actor as well as super talented!

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonRabbit View Post
    I can believe that. Karl Malden was highly respected as a man and as
    an actor as well as super talented!
    I can too. Now the way for actors to earn big bucks for little work is commercial voice-overs, such as Michael Douglas and Richard Dreyfuss...much easier than episodic tv shows.

It seems there has been a big run on folks who were making waves in the 70's this past couple of weeks...Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, Michael Jackson and Karl Malden...people I can recall seeing on TV in the very first times I remember watching the medium...they must be planning one heck of an entertainment program in the hereafter!!! The fight over who gets top billing could cause earthquakes and hurricanes!!!!

Nicki Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Gone Day View Post
    I loved him in "Pollyanna", too. He seemed bigger than life. RIP Karl
    Me Too! Pollyanna will always be a favorite of mine.

radiojane Guest
    He had such a presence. I'm glad he lived a good long life.

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydrvr7 View Post
    It seems there has been a big run on folks who were making waves in the 70's this past couple of weeks...Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, Michael Jackson and Karl Malden...people I can recall seeing on TV in the very first times I remember watching the medium...they must be planning one heck of an entertainment program in the hereafter!!! The fight over who gets top billing could cause earthquakes and hurricanes!!!!
    No kidding about the folks from the 70's!
    I wonder WHO'S NEXT?

Quote Originally Posted by MoonRabbit View Post
    No kidding about the folks from the 70's!
    I wonder WHO'S NEXT?
    Man there are more than a few from that era that I fear would be on a short list of possibilities...Perhaps another cast member from M.A.S.H. or the Brady Bunch? Those are some of the 70's shows I remember best

simon69 Guest

Forever-27 Guest
    Great as detective Mike Stone of the San Francisco Police. His best role was Streets of San Francisco. Hated all thoes American Express ads tho.

Everytime I see a San Francisco Police car makes me think of him and a VERY young Michael Douglas crusing the streets of Frisco.

the final resting place

Pat MaGroin Guest

Karl Malden's Autograph

Here is Karl's Autograph...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KarlMalden.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	29458  

CORONERGAL Guest
    I was waiting for the streetcar one morning, going to school. I got to the streetcar shelter and plopped down on the bench. I remember looking in my lunch bag and going "Yuck!" because my grandmother made me egg salad and it stunk. I heard a voice say "Sounds like you'll be trading your lunch today" and when I looked over, it was Karl Malden! One of the few times in my life I'd ever been rendered speechless. He took my lunch bag and looked and said "If I were you, I'd find someone with a PBJ and trade." I've always looked upon him as a very sweet, friendly person.
    Side note...."Streets Of San Francisco" was being filmed right in front of my grammer school. Michael Douglas told our principal that we were not to approach him for an autograph but he would sign a mimeograph (God, I'm old!!) sheet and they could zerox them off. Didn't think much of him after that.

Pat MaGroin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CORONERGAL View Post
    I was waiting for the streetcar one morning, going to school. I got to the streetcar shelter and plopped down on the bench. I remember looking in my lunch bag and going "Yuck!" because my grandmother made me egg salad and it stunk. I heard a voice say "Sounds like you'll be trading your lunch today" and when I looked over, it was Karl Malden! One of the few times in my life I'd ever been rendered speechless. He took my lunch bag and looked and said "If I were you, I'd find someone with a PBJ and trade." I've always looked upon him as a very sweet, friendly person.
    Side note...."Streets Of San Francisco" was being filmed right in front of my grammer school. Michael Douglas told our principal that we were not to approach him for an autograph but he would sign a mimeograph (God, I'm old!!) sheet and they could zerox them off. Didn't think much of him after that.

Cool story! Nice "star encounter" lol. Glad to know that Karl was a real person.
    And Michael - well he just exudes arrogance (and your story confirmed...)