Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: San Diego Plane Crash: PSA Flight 182

Princess Kim Guest

San Diego Plane Crash: PSA Flight 182

This is old, but I'm feeling on a roll today. In the second article, my dad is one of the people being interviewed (Gary Jaus). He has since retired from law enforcement and is working in an unrelated field. He gives some good details, and you can see where I get my death hag genes!

One thing that he doesn't mention (that he told me) is how something in the air after the crash smelled like baking pizza. He didn't eat pizza for a LONG time after that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSA_Flight_182
    http://www.sandiegomagazine.com/medi...98/This-is-It/

That would have been a horrible, unforgettable job.

But I really liked that he asked the writer "How much gore do you want me to tell you about?" That's the kind of thing any of us would have asked

i only really understood Guernica after i saw the photo of the airliner in the street.

having such an affect on me so far from it,i can only imagine the experience of those there.
    Knowlege Comes With Deaths release

Heaven's on the pillow,it's Silence competes with Hell

"If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra

Nicki Guest

RogerV Guest
    I lived briefly in San Diego in 1980. The neighborhood where the crash happened was made up of 1930's era Spanish-colonial style houses, and it was very easy to see where new houses had been built to replace those destroyed. I'm sure things are more blended together now.

Also, the movie Airplane opened while I was still living there, and it received scathing reviews in local papers. People in San Diego saw no humor in air disasters.

Princess Kim Guest
    You know, Roger, I typically go through the main parts of North Park, but I haven't been much off of University Avenue in a long time. I'll probably drive down there sometime soon, just to see the difference in that area versus the rest of North Park. Thanks for pointing that out!

Great links, Princess Kim--I can totally see how you are a death hag. Your dad worked in a mortuary before becoming a police officer. Awesome! He gives great details.

I can't imagine this at all:
    Bodies were crushed in the remains of an Audi, where a couple died on the spot as they were driving. One body slammed through the windshield of a car. Blood was all over the hysterical driver and her baby. Bodies were on rooftops. Slammed against trees. Gore was splattered on exterior and interior walls of homes. In a small daycare center next to ground zero, the 33-year-old caregiver and mother was killed, as were several children.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by RogerV View Post
    I lived briefly in San Diego in 1980. The neighborhood where the crash happened was made up of 1930's era Spanish-colonial style houses, and it was very easy to see where new houses had been built to replace those destroyed. I'm sure things are more blended together now.

Also, the movie Airplane opened while I was still living there, and it received scathing reviews in local papers. People in San Diego saw no humor in air disasters.
    Understandably.
    I wonder why the distributors didn't recognize that Airplane may have been an inappropriate movie to show in San Diego just then.

Princess Kim Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Luanne View Post
    Great links, Princess Kim--I can totally see how you are a death hag. Your dad worked in a mortuary before becoming a police officer. Awesome! He gives great details.

I can't imagine this at all:

Luanne, it definitely runs in my family! Although my mom pretty much worked office jobs after that, she also worked at the mortuary with my dad when they were both in college.

As a kid, I remember being really excited when my dad would bring his work home. I'd ask to see the Polaroids of the prostitutes and gang members the police officers would photograph for reference during questioning or arrests. There were literally so many that they were EVERYWHERE in our house; I mean, I'd open a dresser drawer and see a bunch of thugs and hookers staring back at me, haha! I remember one time accidentally coming across a picture of a prostitute who was obviously dead, lying in a field, and my brother remembers several pictures like that with the women in beds (probably hotel rooms). We weren't supposed to see those; my dad kept those pretty hidden, but kids will be kids, and we found them, anyway.

I think that my parents are the only people I know who would turn on a police radio and fall asleep to the sounds of it.

ShellBell Guest
    Thanks for the articles. The second one was an interesting read. I have always been a plane crash hag and find this particular crash has always stood out in my mind. The pictures of the plane going down are so chilling. I have posted about this crash in the plane crash thread.

I had never heard anything about the scene the way your father describes it. It really brings it home, I think. Thanks for sharing.

ShellBell Guest

Do you guys think the people sitting on that side of the plane saw the Cessna and were helpless to do anything?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    Do you guys think the people sitting on that side of the plane saw the Cessna and were helpless to do anything?
    Thats HELL of a thought.....WOW

Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    Thats HELL of a thought.....WOW

I know huh.. I had thought that the Cessna somehow slide underneath the PSA, but after looking at diagrams I realized that it was side to side with it when it clipped the wing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

MorbidMolly Guest
    I know huh.. I had thought that the Cessna somehow slide underneath the PSA, but after looking at diagrams I realized that it was side to side with it when it clipped the wing.
    Can you imagine ??? Wonder if anyone turned their cell on and snapped a pic ???

Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    Can you imagine ??? Wonder if anyone turned their cell on and snapped a pic ???

Before the days of super strong Scan Disc cards
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MorbidMolly Guest
    Before the days of super strong Scan Disc cards

giggle

I am wondering how the C-172 pilot didn't manage to see the 727 filling up their entire windshield!!! That was an amazing bit of terrible timing...the 727 flies about 2 times as fast as the 172, even in landing configuration...how the 172 slammed into the PSA wing from behind just baffles me.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydrvr7 View Post
    I am wondering how the C-172 pilot didn't manage to see the 727 filling up their entire windshield!!! That was an amazing bit of terrible timing...the 727 flies about 2 times as fast as the 172, even in landing configuration...how the 172 slammed into the PSA wing from behind just baffles me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for the illustration, Miho...the diagram on the Youtube clip seems to suggest that the 172 hit the back of the starboard wing but looking at your illustration and the photo of the airliner plummeting shows that it indeed struck the leading edge, not the trailing edge.

I'm with you. I still don't understand how the Cessena didn't see the PSA???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm with you. I still don't understand how the Cessena didn't see the PSA???
    The diagram makes it appear that the Cessna hit PSA 182 from behing, but in reality PSA 182 hit the Cessna from behind.

Quote Originally Posted by lardass View Post
    The diagram makes it appear that the Cessna hit PSA 182 from behing, but in reality PSA 182 hit the Cessna from behind.

Ah gotcha! That makes sense. The pilots just thought they had passed him. Very scary
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

On the Wikipedia page for the crash they have a side illustration of the collision and it looks like the 172 was climbing and not on their assigned heading while the 727 was descending...a perfect recipe for not seeing one another. There are rules about a "sterile cockpit" while on approach that are intended to stop all non-operational conversation while on approach to land...the crew were a little distracted with chatter when they should have been developing better situational awareness, especially as they were cleared visually...meaning they were responsible for seeing the other aircraft and remaining clear of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydrvr7 View Post
    On the Wikipedia page for the crash they have a side illustration of the collision and it looks like the 172 was climbing and not on their assigned heading while the 727 was descending...a perfect recipe for not seeing one another. There are rules about a "sterile cockpit" while on approach that are intended to stop all non-operational conversation while on approach to land...the crew were a little distracted with chatter when they should have been developing better situational awareness, especially as they were cleared visually...meaning they were responsible for seeing the other aircraft and remaining clear of him.
    Yeah everything I've read on the accident (which isn't much) makes it seem like both crews were at fault, but the NTSB puts nearly all the blame on the PSA crew and only states that the Cessna deviation was contributing. Granted regulations say the overtaking aircraft is responsible to see and avoid, but it seems a little more of the blame should have been placed on the Cessna crew for not being where they were supposed to be. Not that it would really make much difference.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I remember this like it happened yesterday. Prior to this incident, we hadn't really seen many photos like those taken of this jet about to crash...they weren't as common as they are now...horrendous.

Why is the 727 smiling, I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by lardass View Post
    Yeah everything I've read on the accident (which isn't much) makes it seem like both crews were at fault, but the NTSB puts nearly all the blame on the PSA crew and only states that the Cessna deviation was contributing. Granted regulations say the overtaking aircraft is responsible to see and avoid, but it seems a little more of the blame should have been placed on the Cessna crew for not being where they were supposed to be. Not that it would really make much difference.

You know, I'm of the same mind. Everything I read says it was the responsibility of the larger plane (their words, not mine) to always get out of the way of the smaller plane. Wouldn't that be backwards? It looks to me like both would be equally at fault. The PSA crew for not keeping an eye on the Cessna and the Cessna for deviating off the flight path and not letting anyone know.
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    That was the standard livery for PSA, their planes actually had smiles painted on them.

That plane crash really blew me away. I lived in the Clairemont area of San Diego, it was my first day of college. Truly horrific. I'm also a plane crash hag, every airplane in my dreams crashes. I really think I'm this way because of the PSA crash

Quote Originally Posted by SheBoss View Post
    You know, I'm of the same mind. Everything I read says it was the responsibility of the larger plane (their words, not mine) to always get out of the way of the smaller plane. Wouldn't that be backwards? It looks to me like both would be equally at fault. The PSA crew for not keeping an eye on the Cessna and the Cessna for deviating off the flight path and not letting anyone know.
    It makes sense to have the faster aircraft avoid the slower. The Cessna couldn't see behind it to avoid the PSA flight.

Hobbes12 Guest

The high wing on a C172 make for terrible visibility above and behind...you do have windows in the back of the wing that help with rearward visibility a little bit but there is a very large blind spot due to the wing placement. I had another small plane sneak up on me on a flight once...I just happened to look to the back before he went into that blind spot...even something as large as a 727 can be obscured in that blind spot with the right combination of time and angles.

DexterKitty Guest
    I've read about this one extensively. I would love to see a picture of the man with 2 faces. On impact one guy's face fused to the back of another guy's head. The guy that slammed into the car survived the inital impactand was still alive when he hit the car. People actually saw him flying through the air ,and he was screaming. Horrific accident. Body parts everywhere and a dead guy landing in a back yard hot tub. Scenes from the crash are on Faces of Death .

Because it didn't know that was its day to die.

Fujicakes Guest
    Because it's happy to be holding hands with the Cessna.

Not Fade Away Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fujicakes View Post
    Because it's happy to be holding hands with the Cessna.
    haha

Quote Originally Posted by DexterKitty View Post
    I've read about this one extensively. I would love to see a picture of the man with 2 faces. On impact one guy's face fused to the back of another guy's head. The guy that slammed into the car survived the inital impactand was still alive when he hit the car. People actually saw him flying through the air ,and he was screaming. Horrific accident. Body parts everywhere and a dead guy landing in a back yard hot tub. Scenes from the crash are on Faces of Death .

You have these clips????
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HKWolf Guest
    That picture is spooky to me. Like the 9/11 videos.

Quote Originally Posted by HKWolf View Post
    That picture is spooky to me. Like the 9/11 videos.
    This photo freaked me out at the time of the crash. You can almost see the passengers through the windows.

DexterKitty Guest
    You have these clips????
    Some of the stuff about this crash is on 'Faces of Death'. It shows the cleanup crews pulling the dead bodies and parts out of the plane. It would be cool to see a picture of the man with 2 faces. I read about the guy (they call him Superman) that survived the impact, only to fly through the air ,and land head first into the side of the car. People who witnessed it said he sounded like a pig squealing. *shudder*

Some of the stuff about this crash is on 'Faces of Death'. It shows the cleanup crews pulling the dead bodies and parts out of the plane. It would be cool to see a picture of the man with 2 faces. I read about the guy (they call him Superman) that survived the impact, only to fly through the air ,and land head first into the side of the car. People who witnessed it said he sounded like a pig squealing. *shudder*
    Holy shit, no thanks. Needless to say, I've never seen Faces of Death, and I never will. And I call myself a Death Hag!

I might have to look into picking up a copy of that
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've been poking around online looking for pics and found these.

Also, here's a page dedicated to the employees lost on PSA 182 and another flight. Sort of seems like a lot of employees on each plane, though.

http://www.jetpsa.com/memorial/memorial.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	psa182_1.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	14820   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	psa182_2.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	14821   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	psa182_3.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	14822  
    Last edited by Luanne; 06-29-2009 at 04:08 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dude, I just found this:

http://www.usmcpress.com/mayday.htm

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here are a couple photos from my archives. Lots of plastic sheets.

Ugh, and they look like they're covering parts, not whole bodies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

meryn Guest
    Here is a link to a great blog that has lots of information and many eyewitness accounts. The people even gathered at the sight last August for a memorial.

http://sandiegoblog.com/archives/200...sa-crash-1978/

Princess Kim Guest
    Meryn, that's a great link! The eyewitness accounts are INTENSE!

meryn Guest
    Aren't they?! You get to read accounts from several people who talk about "superman," the guy they swear was alive when he was ejected from the plane only to crash into the back windshield of a parked car. Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Luanne View Post
    Dude, I just found this:

http://www.usmcpress.com/mayday.htm

That's a must-have for a Death Hag! It also mentions the Marshall University plane crash. Huntington, WVA isn't too far from here.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett