Thread: Claude Akins

RoRo Guest

Claude Akins

He worked in television in its infancy on shows such as "You Are There." In 1953 he tested for "From Here to Eternity" (1953) and made his film debut in an uncredited role as Dhom. His other films included: "Bitter Creek" (1954) as Vance Morgan; "The Caine Mutiny" (1954) as Horrible; "Shield for Murder" (1954) as Fat Michaels; "The Adventures of Hajji Baba" (1954) as Chief Executioner's Aide; "The Human Jungle" (1954) as Mandy; "Down Three Dark Streets" (1955) as Matty Pavelich; "The Sea Chase" (1955) as Winkler; "Man with the Gun" (1955) uncredited, as Jim Reedy; "Battle Stations" (1956) as Marty Brennan; "The Proud and the Profane" (1956) as Big Soldier; "Johnny Concho" (1956) as Lem; "The Burning Hils" (1956) as Ben Hindeman; The Sharkfighters" (1956) as Chief 'Gordy' Gordon; "The Kettles on Old MacDonald's Farm" (1957) as Pete Logan; "The Lonely Man" (1957) as Blackburn; "Joe Dakota" (1957) as Aaron Grant; "Onionhead" (1958) with Andy Griffith, as Poznicki; "The Defiant Ones" (1958) with Tony Curtis & Sidney Poitier, as Mac; "Rio Bravo" (1959) as Joe Burdett; "Porgy and Bess" (1959) as a Detective; "Don't Give Up the Ship" (1959) as Lt. Cmdr. Farber; "Frontier Rangers" (1959) as Caleb Brandt; Yellowstone Kelly" (1959) as Sergeant; "Hound-Dog Man" (1959) as Hog Peyson; "Comanche Station" (1960) as Ben Lane; "Inherit the Wind" (1960) as Rev. Jeremiah Brown; "Claudelle Inglish" (1961) as S.T. Crawford; "Merrill's Marauders" (1962) as Sgt. Kolowicz; "Black Gold" (1963) as Chick Carrington; "A Distant Trumpet" (1964) as Seely Jones; "The Killers" (1964) as Earl Sylvester; "Ride Beyond Vengeance" (1966) as Elwood Coates; "Incident at Phantom Hill" (1966) as Krausman; "Return of the Seven" (1966) as Frank; "Waterhole # 3" (1967) as Master Sgt. Henry J. Foggers; "The Devil's Brigade" (1968) as Pvt. Rocky Rockman; "The Great Bank Robbery" (1969) as Slade; "A Man Called Sledge" (1970) as Hooker; "Flap" (1970) as Lobo Jackson; "Skyjacked" (1972) as Sgt. Ben Puzo; "Battle for the Planet of the Apes" (1973) as Gen. Aldo; "Tentacoli" (1977) as Sheriff Robards; "Master Ninja I" (1984) as Mr. Trumbull; "Pushed Too Far" (1986) as Sheriff; "Monster in the Closet" (1986) as Sheriff Sam Ketchem; "Monster in the Closet" (1986) as Sheriff Sam Ketchem; "The Curse" (1987) as Nathan Hayes; "Falling From Grace" (1992) as Speck Parks and "Seasons of the Heart" (1993) as William Clay, his last theatrical film. He was very prolific on TV as a regular on "Laredo" (1965) as Cotton Buckmeister; "Movin' On" (1974-76) as Sonny Pruitt; "B.J. and the Bear"; "The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo" (1979-81) as Sheriff Elroy P. Lobo and "Legmen" (1984) as Tom Bannon. He also appeared in TV movies and mini-series: "The Rhinemann Exchange" (1977) as Walter Kendall; "Celebrity" (1984) as Uncle Bun Luther and "Dream West" (1986) as Tom Fitzpatrick. He guest starred on hundreds of series including: "Yancey Derringer"; "Bonanza"; "Gunsmoke"; "The Big Valley"; "The Fugitive"; "Mannix"; "Cannon"; "Mission: Impossible"; "Rawhide"; "Combat!"; "Police Story"; "Murder She Wrote"; "Matlock" and "Eerie, Indiana."
    He died on January 27, 1994 in Altadena, California of cancer at the age of 67.

Kathyf Guest
    he was a great actor. I always thought of him as a policeman. My kids and I used to watch that Eerie Indiana I forgot he was in it.

jay Guest
    Great actor, i remember him as Sheriff Lobo in BJ and The Bear and The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo.

ratkin638 Guest
    One of those weird factoids that has stuck with me over the years (from a magazine article) is his wife's name: Pie Akins.

It seems that he called her Sweetiepie for so many years that they finally just shortened it.

Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Great actor, i remember him as Sheriff Lobo in BJ and The Bear and The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo.
    Another memorable sheriff role was that of "Warren Butcher" in "The Night Stalker."

He was a great actor. RIP
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

King Tut Guest
    His face was somewhere between Walter Matthau and Charles Bronson, with a little Andy Griffith thrown in for good measure. Unless I missed my guess.

Nicki Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
    His face was somewhere between Walter Matthau and Charles Bronson, with a little Andy Griffith thrown in for good measure. Unless I missed my guess.
    King Tut....that is a great discription. He definitely was a favorite. Very much enjoyed him in that show "Movin On". But I think he eventually guest Starred on just about every Night time show there was.

guardmom2008 Guest
    I remember him on Moving On, and BJ and the Bear, he was a very talented actor.

orionova Guest
    I have to admit that I had a crush on him when I was 6 or 7 years old.

"Great actor, i remember him as Sheriff Lobo in BJ and The Bear and The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo."

"Sheriff Lobo...keep us strong."--I loved that televison intro.

http://www.youtube.com/v/UPE2ySTIGRM...</param><param
    Last edited by salvatore1989; 09-26-2009 at 05:30 PM. Reason: link

Taggerez Guest
    Glad someone else remembers Moving On. That was the first thing I thought of in regard to his name.

crazedfemale Guest
    Great actor, he was on an episode of I Love Lucy when they visited Florida during the final season.

He was also in the last movie in the Planet of the Apes saga, playing Aldo, the gorilla leader.

SenorMuerto Guest
    I loved "Movin' On", especially the season they drove thru the southwest.

Great actor!

Forever-27 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by crazedfemale View Post
    Great actor, he was on an episode of I Love Lucy when they visited Florida during the final season.

He was also in the last movie in the Planet of the Apes saga, playing Aldo, the gorilla leader.

Wow that was him ??? wow I didnt know that. That was Conquest of the Planet of the Apes I think. Aldo killed Corneilius's son if I remember right

crazedfemale Guest
    I hope that first picture is Aldo. I googled it and it came up - let's just say those gorillas looked so much alike!

Here's another photo:

Claude Akins as Aldo

Fancynancy Guest
    He was one of those actors that turned up on everything. A really familiar and welcoem face. My dad is a huge fan!

Bessolo Guest
    An ex of mine's dad used to play golf with him in Butte Montana. Don't remember how they met but that bit of useless info always stuck with me.

Nelliebean Guest
    The man had a great voice!

SquirrelNutZipper Guest
    If you want to see him in a really good role - check out "The Monster's are Due on Maple Street".

An excellent Twillight Zone episode.