Thread: Denny Doherty (Mamas and Papas)

cachluv Guest

Denny Doherty (Mamas and Papas)

Mamas and Papas Member Dead at 66

Denny Doherty of the 1960s Folk-Rock Group the Mamas and Papas Is Dead at Age 66

Denny Doherty, a former member of The Mamas and Papas, poses on stage prior to performing in his show at the Village Theater in New York, April 7, 2003. His sister Frances Arnold said the singer-songwriter died at his home in Mississauga, a city just west of Toronto, on Friday, Jan. 19, 2007,after a short illness. He was 66 (AP Photo/Robert Spencer)

The group burst on the national scene in 1966 with the top 10 smash "California Dreamin'." The Mamas and the Papas broke new ground by having women and men in one group at a time when most singing groups were unisex. John Phillips, the group's chief songwriter; his wife, Michelle; and another female vocalist, Cass Elliot, teamed with Doherty.
    "Monday, Monday" hit No. 1 on the charts and won the band a Grammy for best contemporary group performance. Among the group's other songs were "I Saw Her Again Last Night," "Go Where You Wanna Go," "Dancing Bear," and versions of "I Call Your Name" and "Dedicated to the One I Love."
    "What made the group special was their haunting and sumptuous harmony singing," according to "The Rolling Stone Illustrated History of Rock & Roll."
    "Everybody used to think that John Phillips, who wrote the songs, was also the main voice of the group, but it wasn't it was the angelic voice of Denny Doherty," said Larry Leblanc, Canadian editor of Billboard Magazine. "He was often overlooked but it was really his voice that carried the group."
    In 1998, the Mamas and the Papas were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
    The group's catchy sound was a blend of '60s upbeat pop and the folk music that had surged in popularity early in the decade. The song "Creeque Alley" told the story of their formation amid the musical ferment of the folk scene; among the other stars-to-be mentioned in its lyrics were members of the Lovin' Spoonful and the Byrds.
    Folk superstars Peter, Paul and Mary paid their own tribute to the Mamas and the Papas with their humorous 1967 hit "I Dig Rock and Roll Music."

RoRo Guest
    loved the mamas and papas but never really cared for denny

stacebabe Guest
    I didn't even know he died. I always felt bad for Mama Cass and her unrequited love for him.

Quote Originally Posted by cachluv View Post
    Mamas and Papas Member Dead at 66

Denny Doherty of the 1960s Folk-Rock Group the Mamas and Papas Is Dead at Age 66

Denny Doherty, a former member of The Mamas and Papas, poses on stage prior to performing in his show at the Village Theater in New York, April 7, 2003. His sister Frances Arnold said the singer-songwriter died at his home in Mississauga, a city just west of Toronto, on Friday, Jan. 19, 2007,after a short illness. He was 66 (AP Photo/Robert Spencer)

The group burst on the national scene in 1966 with the top 10 smash "California Dreamin'." The Mamas and the Papas broke new ground by having women and men in one group at a time when most singing groups were unisex. John Phillips, the group's chief songwriter; his wife, Michelle; and another female vocalist, Cass Elliot, teamed with Doherty.
    "Monday, Monday" hit No. 1 on the charts and won the band a Grammy for best contemporary group performance. Among the group's other songs were "I Saw Her Again Last Night," "Go Where You Wanna Go," "Dancing Bear," and versions of "I Call Your Name" and "Dedicated to the One I Love."
    "What made the group special was their haunting and sumptuous harmony singing," according to "The Rolling Stone Illustrated History of Rock & Roll."
    "Everybody used to think that John Phillips, who wrote the songs, was also the main voice of the group, but it wasn't it was the angelic voice of Denny Doherty," said Larry Leblanc, Canadian editor of Billboard Magazine. "He was often overlooked but it was really his voice that carried the group."
    In 1998, the Mamas and the Papas were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
    The group's catchy sound was a blend of '60s upbeat pop and the folk music that had surged in popularity early in the decade. The song "Creeque Alley" told the story of their formation amid the musical ferment of the folk scene; among the other stars-to-be mentioned in its lyrics were members of the Lovin' Spoonful and the Byrds.
    Folk superstars Peter, Paul and Mary paid their own tribute to the Mamas and the Papas with their humorous 1967 hit "I Dig Rock and Roll Music."

Kathyf Guest
    Loved their music too. I never knew much about them except for Mama Cass.

cass had such a great voice

tensecondstolove Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stacebabe View Post
    I didn't even know he died. I always felt bad for Mama Cass and her unrequited love for him.
    Same here.

leevancleef Guest
    Thats why i cant stand Michelle. She knew all about Cass being in love with him, and she had an affair with him knowing that. That broke Cass' heart. Another fact that also bothers me is that she slept with Roman Polanski while he was married to Sharon. She knew Sharon personally, Sharon was such a sweet, nice person, i just cant believe that she could have done that to her.

To me, Cass made the group. Her voice was always so haunting. I'm sad to see Denny go though, doesn't that mean Michelle is the lone surviving member now?

Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    Thats why i cant stand Michelle. She knew all about Cass being in love with him, and she had an affair with him knowing that. That broke Cass' heart. Another fact that also bothers me is that she slept with Roman Polanski while he was married to Sharon. She knew Sharon personally, Sharon was such a sweet, nice person, i just cant believe that she could have done that to her.
    No respect for Michelle and Denny from me for breaking Cass' heart. Cass seemed like a warm-hearted, and great person. Denny really lost out.

But some people I guess go for what's on the outside rather than the inside - which is what I suspect why Denny didn't want Cass.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    No respect for Michelle and Denny from me for breaking Cass' heart. Cass seemed like a warm-hearted, and great person. Denny really lost out.

But some people I guess go for what's on the outside rather than the inside - which is what I suspect why Denny didn't want Cass.
    What she said!

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post

When VH1 did " Behind the Music " on the Mama`s and Papa`s , Denny came right out and said that`s why he didn`t hook up with Cass...to his credit, he did say it was one of the biggest mistakes he ever made....Michelle on the other hand, is a skank in my book....can barely sing, can`t act, and was bascially the " eye candy " for the group....

It's never been revealed who the father of Cass' baby girl, Owen was - anyone know?

cachluv Guest
    Cass never said. I think it was Denny Doherty.

Quote Originally Posted by cachluv View Post
    Cass never said. I think it was Denny Doherty.
    You really think so? I doubt it, otherwise Denny would have been involved in the kid's life - unless they are keeping it all hush-hush. But you figure the truth would have been told by now - after all these years!

endsleigh03 Guest
    After dining with Paul and Linda McCartney, Moon and his girlfriend, Annette Walter-Lax, left the party early and returned to a flat on loan from Harry Nilsson in Curzon Place, London. He died that night at the age of 32, having overdosed on Clomethiazole (Heminevrin), a medication taken as part of a programme to wean him off alcohol. When the police investigated the cause of his death they determined that there were about 32 pills in his system. Some were undissolved. In an odd coincidence, Moon died in the same flat, No.12 at 9 Curzon Place, that singer Cass Elliot (aged 32) died in, a little over four years prior.

This is from Wiki...

cachluv Guest
    "You really think so? I doubt it, otherwise Denny would have been involved in the kid's life"

---Not if he didn't know about it. I wonder how hard he pushed to find out?

From what I understand, Cass was married twice. The first time was to a fella named Jimmy Hendricks (They were in The MugWumps together) and the second guy was a Barron Someoneoranother..I don't remember who he was but, they were married when she died but it wasn't out of love, I believe it was on a whim sort of thing. She partied A LOT so...Cass may be the only one who knows. God Bless her...she IS awesome. I remember the day she died. (sigh)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

tuesdays_jupiter Guest
    i think denny really regretted denying cass... big girls always love you best!

lois steeme Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SheBoss View Post
    To me, Cass made the group. Her voice was always so haunting. I'm sad to see Denny go though, doesn't that mean Michelle is the lone surviving member now?
    I agree with you about Cass; IMO she was the Mamas and Papas.

Peh! Figures the only survivor is the least talented one! She was there for visual appeal, I think, and nothing more.

lois steeme Guest
    RIP, fellow Canadian.

denny could sing.

i loved denny the only one left is the eye candy michelle
    may the forces of evil get confused on the way to your house

Noelle Page Guest
    Michelle strikes me as a survivor. Hey, good for her. There was a fascinating Vanity Fair article on her not long ago, google it for an interesting read.

Forever-27 Guest
    Gawd they are all dead now except Michelle