Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lindy Chamberlain - A Dingo Ate My Baby!

Sock Puppet Guest

Lindy Chamberlain - A Dingo Ate My Baby!

In October 1982, Lindy Chamberlain was convicted and sentenced to life in prison for the murder of her baby, Azaria.

The Chamberlains, Lindy and her husband Michael, had always claimed that a dingo had grabbed Azaria and dragged her off, never to be seen again. The prosecution claimed that this was a preposterous lie. They claimed that the "tooth holes" in little Azaria's clothing (later found in the outback a few miles from the crime scene) were inconsistent with dingo attack. They tested this theory by swaddling a large piece of meat in baby clothes and tossing it to the dingoes in the local zoo. Later tests involved dressing up a baby goat and tossing it in. In addition, they claimed that Azaria was too heavy for a dingo to carry. This claim came from data collected from bites and wounds caused by domesticated dogs.

The prosecution had a long list of professional expert witnesses that examined the available evidence and deemed it entirely inconsistent with a dingo attack. The prosecution posited that Azaria was murdered with a pair of scissors that were found at the crime scene. The scissors were destroyed while trying to perform a forensic test to duplicate the holes in Azaria's clothing. This was put off to the scissors being old and poorly stored between the night of Azaria's death and the start of the testing. Stronger scissors were used for the actual test, and the test results were used to incriminate Lindy Chamberlain. Much was made of some orthotolidine swab tests performed on the Chamberlain's car; they seemed to indicate a spray of foetal blood that was attributed to Azaria. The Chamberlain's story was featured in a cynical light in English and American tabloids and gossip shows. The story made its way around the world, and the world judged Lindy Chamberlain a child killer. The jury agreed.

In February of 1986, a child's jacket was found not far from where the rest of Azaria's clothing was found in the initial search for the missing baby. Not only was the jacket Azaria's, but it was buried in the sand in a way that was consistent with dingo behavior---they bury their leftovers for later snacking, and to hide the scent of food from other predators and dingos. In addition, the jacket was found in the same general vicinity where a missing man's body had been discovered. He had fallen from a cliff above, and the dingoes had completely devoured his body.

Furthermore, supporters of the Chamberlain family did their own research of the evidence while Lindy was in prison. It was discovered that the dingo most likely grabbed Azaria from the neck, which would do little damage to her clothes. The clothing evidence was all faulty, especially the scissor tests. Comparisons with dog bite data was entirely wrong; dingoes have much stronger jaws and wider bites than domesticated dogs. The fact that a domesticated dog could not have caused the damage was not proof that a dingo couldn't. The swab tests which reacted so dramatically with materials found in the Chamberlain's car was faulty too. Orthotolidine also reacts with traces of copper. The Chamberlains were from a copper-mining area in Australia. Later tests around the Chamberlain's home showed that everything was contaminated with copper powder and tested positive for blood. In addition, the "spray of blood" from which the swabs were taken turned out to be a standard sound-dampening treatment used on that model of car. Identical sprays were found in several cars of the same make and model.

Lindy Chamberlain was released after serving three years in prison. Rather than give her a new trial, the government said that Lindy had "suffered enough" and there was to be an inquiry into the original investigation. The inquiry found that Lindy Chamberlain would have been acquitted if the flaws in the evidence had come to light. It was not the same as a declaration of innocence for Lindy; rather it simply said that the evidence in her trial was no good. The Chamberlain family is still trying to get the government of Australia to declare Lindy's innocence without success.

Many people in the US remember the case, and remember Lindy Chamberlain's conviction. As is typical of the popular press, her release and the results of the inquiry stating that she should not have been convicted were less compelling news, and did not reach nearly as many people as the news of her conviction. Popular opinion in the US is still that Lindy Chamberlain killed her baby and blamed it on a dingo.

For the full story, read about it here:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notoriou...erlain1/1.html

It's one of the longest stories on Crime Library.

disco Guest
    is ya crazy?

donetodeath Guest
    did you know that the only reason they found the jumpsuit was that a guy jumped off eyre's rock commiting suicide,and where he landed not far away was the jump suit!

Kathyf Guest
    I remember watching the movie with Meryl Streep. I am not sure if I thought she was guilty or innocent it was so long ago.

donetodeath Guest
    i was watched it with my mum,she covered my eye's when it showed the version the police thought with her going mad with the scissor's!(i was pretty young)

cherryghost Guest
    I heard there were cries amongst the journos after lindys conviction saying "the dingo got off!" Many journos believed she was innocent! It was a witchhunt and she was unpopular because she didnt show emotion, like the public demanded! Some people are not emotional or hide their emotions well! Lindy was not what people expected her to be, but she wasnt playing any games either! The public wanted her to cry and she couldnt for the cameras. This is a woman under stress and being accused of murder of her own baby under bizarre circumstances. How was she to act?
    I think of OJ simpson here reacting as he did but in that instance he was hiding something and not unused to the scrutiny of media. His guilt was written all over his face. Lindy didnt have guilt written all over her face!( What an interesting concept )and instintive reactions are often right !

cherryghost Guest
    Meryl streep, great actress, grating accent and inapproprate one to play Lindy, Miranda Otto did a better job at her in tele movie, Its all manipulative filmic interpretation of real events, but Ive been trying to make that point elsewhere on less important issues of life vs art.

Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    Meryl streep, great actress, grating accent and inapproprate one to play Lindy, Miranda Otto did a better job at her in tele movie, Its all manipulative filmic interpretation of real events, but Ive been trying to make that point elsewhere on less important issues of life vs art.
    The absolute worst Aussie accent by a non Australian and she does the best voices in the business apparently.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

poppie Guest
    This was an amazing and terrible story where the media painted this woman black because she chose not to wear her emotions on her sleeve. EVIL ANGELS is one book about this tragedy. I was in Alice Springs at the time the movie company was going to begin production. The company had rented the entire motel and we had to leave. We did take a side trip to Ayres Rock and the bus driver showed us the camping area where the dingo stole the child.

I have some friends who live in the foothills near Glendale, CA. A large coyote carried a neighborhood child away one day. The men gathered with rifles, etc, but were not able/quick enough to track the coyote.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    I heard there were cries amongst the journos after lindys conviction saying "the dingo got off!" Many journos believed she was innocent! It was a witchhunt and she was unpopular because she didnt show emotion, like the public demanded! Some people are not emotional or hide their emotions well! Lindy was not what people expected her to be, but she wasnt playing any games either! The public wanted her to cry and she couldnt for the cameras. This is a woman under stress and being accused of murder of her own baby under bizarre circumstances. How was she to act?
    I think of OJ simpson here reacting as he did but in that instance he was hiding something and not unused to the scrutiny of media. His guilt was written all over his face. Lindy didnt have guilt written all over her face!( What an interesting concept )and instintive reactions are often right !
    This post right away brings to miind Madeline McCanns (think I just botched the spelling there) mother and what is going on with them. I don't know if those parents are lying or not but she has taken criticism for her lack of emotion.

Didn't they eventually find evidence a few years back that cleared Lindy of any wrong-doing with the case?

At least that's what I heard...

Sock Puppet Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Didn't they eventually find evidence a few years back that cleared Lindy of any wrong-doing with the case?

At least that's what I heard...
    They did find evidence that cleared her. However, rather than having her conviction overturned, the government released her with time served. This means that she was not declared innocent; rather, the time she spent in prison was deemed "enough punishment" for the crime she never committed.

A lot of people still think she did it, although the evidence now clearly implicates the dingo. Donetodeath is right, they only found the jacket because another man leapt or fell from a cliff close to where the jacket was buried, and dingoes ate his body.

RoRo Guest
    I'm glad she was let out of jail...poor woman

Sock Puppet Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    You have it exactly right this clip references the Chamberlain dingo case. It was joked about and made light of in the US. We don't have dingoes, so it seemed preposterous to a lot of people here, and especially people in urban areas, who were not well acquainted with our friendly native coyotes.

PvN73 Guest
    I remember that case - it was crazy. The media were out of control as well saying they were involved in a cult and they had to kill that baby. It is all very disturbing.

A few years ago a 9yo boy was mauled to death by a dingo on Fraser island and a few years after that another dingo was found in a hotel room with a baby and a 5yo.

I agree also that australian accent was the worst thing I have ever heard... it is so bad it is hilarious.

Sock Puppet Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PvN73 View Post
    I remember that case - it was crazy. The media were out of control as well saying they were involved in a cult and they had to kill that baby. It is all very disturbing.

A few years ago a 9yo boy was mauled to death by a dingo on Fraser island and a few years after that another dingo was found in a hotel room with a baby and a 5yo.

I agree also that australian accent was the worst thing I have ever heard... it is so bad it is hilarious.
    I think in a dingo vs. coyote fight, the dingo would win. Those things seem vicious and a lot bigger than a domestic dog. People tend to underestimate the coyotes as well. A coyote can easily pull apart a cat or small dog like a danish. Coyotes do, however, tend to drag their human victims, and the dingo apparently had no problem just carrying the baby off like a pup. Dingoes also seem surprisingly bold compared to coyotes. Coyotes won't go into a hotel room or home, but they will eat anything they find in your yard, including your child if you leave it out there. Dingoes are just badasses.

Coyotes have occasionally mauled people here and there, but the real killers, at least in California, are the mountain lions. There aren't enough black bears left to really be a threat.

PvN73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Puppet View Post
    I think in a dingo vs. coyote fight, the dingo would win. Those things seem vicious and a lot bigger than a domestic dog. People tend to underestimate the coyotes as well. A coyote can easily pull apart a cat or small dog like a danish. Coyotes do, however, tend to drag their human victims, and the dingo apparently had no problem just carrying the baby off like a pup. Dingoes also seem surprisingly bold compared to coyotes. Coyotes won't go into a hotel room or home, but they will eat anything they find in your yard, including your child if you leave it out there. Dingoes are just badasses.

Coyotes have occasionally mauled people here and there, but the real killers, at least in California, are the mountain lions. There aren't enough black bears left to really be a threat.
    I dont know about that - Fraser Island is a popular tourist spot and thus Dingo's would over time be less afraid of humans and become more bold when trying to seek out food, htus go into hotel rooms etc- maybe people leave food outside there any always go there for scraps and it is a normal food source for them?
    I am sure in the outback they would be less inclined to go near people but like anything, if you are hungry enough you will go after anything I suppose.

I dont know about that - Fraser Island is a popular tourist spot and thus Dingo's would over time be less afraid of humans and become more bold when trying to seek out food, htus go into hotel rooms etc- maybe people leave food outside there any always go there for scraps and it is a normal food source for them?
    I am sure in the outback they would be less inclined to go near people but like anything, if you are hungry enough you will go after anything I suppose.
    There was a thing on discovery the other night about the dingos on Frazer Island. Apparently a young boy was taken by one a couple of years back and just before that a pack of them killed an English tourist. Bite marks on the bones etc.

I have no doubt the dingo took the baby at Ayers Rock. The thing the media and the public could not get around was that they were Seventh Day Adventist's and were viewed with as much suspicion and ignorance that Muslims are today.

Lindy ended up marrying and American fella and they live somewhere in the states today.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Kimmy Guest

I think they were Seventh Day Adventists, I could be wrong. It's a religion that has always been seen as more of a cult that a legitimate religion but I think that's more to do with people not being bothered to find out what the religion was about. I have to admit I know nothing about it.

Kimmy Guest
    Oops, someone beat me to the Seventh Day Adventist fact. lol

Maruz83 Guest
    Sad but weird... Does anyone remember on Seinfield(SP) when Eliane says "a dingo ate your baby" ??????????? LOL

PvN73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    There was a thing on discovery the other night about the dingos on Frazer Island. Apparently a young boy was taken by one a couple of years back and just before that a pack of them killed an English tourist. Bite marks on the bones etc.

I have no doubt the dingo took the baby at Ayers Rock. The thing the media and the public could not get around was that they were Seventh Day Adventist's and were viewed with as much suspicion and ignorance that Muslims are today.

Lindy ended up marrying and American fella and they live somewhere in the states today.
    I think that they had to cull the dingo population on Frasier Island because there were too many and not enough food, one reason why they were attacking people. I dont think I would go there!

I have no doubt about the dingo either - I feel so sorry for the Chamberlain family - it was awful what they had to go through with the media circus and the police who zero'd in on them.

Yes I heard too she is now living in the US with her new husband. that poor woman, I wouldnt want to stay here either, everyone would know who she was.

GrinReaper Guest
    It would have been the wrong place to even think about killing someone.
    Too many around at the campsite.

And Bingo was his name-o, B...I...N...G...O B...I...N...G...O B...I...N...G...O

and bingo the dingo was his name-o.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Wasn't there a song or band way back called "dingo ate my baby" or something?

Looked it up...it was the name of Seth's band on "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" "Dingoes Ate My Baby"
    Last edited by endsleigh03; 11-15-2007 at 07:12 PM.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    And Bingo was his name-o, B...I...N...G...O B...I...N...G...O B...I...N...G...O

and bingo the dingo was his name-o.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Maruz83 View Post
    Sad but weird... Does anyone remember on Seinfield(SP) when Eliane says "a dingo ate your baby" ??????????? LOL
    ya. post #11.

donetodeath Guest
    she received nearly 1million dollar's when she was released from prison!

september Guest

Smile

I sorry but i have to disagree with the comments about dingo here i recently went to taronga zoo in sydney with a friend of ours who runs a dingo sanctuary in vic. She had flow up for the day to deliver two pups to the Zoo. She has been involved in dingo conservation for 30 years. I met the two pups they were very gentle and loving..... The keepers were so excited about there arrival. The keepers said that one of the things the pups are going to be involved in is education programs particuarly about Australian native animals....
    I actually sponsor one at a sanctuary in Bargo about 1 hr from Sydney have done for a few years now. they unfortunately got alot of bad press over the azaria case....one story that has gone around is that one of her young sons actually killed the baby.....i have always found it interesting how a dingo could remove the jacket from the child and leave it lying in one piece....
    its a very sad case either way and only those who were there know what really happened. If anyone is interested in more about the Dingo and our friends here is her website address:

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~dingolyn/index.html

donetodeath Guest
    welcome!Was wondering if you have petted any wild dingo from the Northern Territory lately?Just curious.

Nowereman Guest
    I saw Lindi Chamberlain and her husband at a petrol station at Wyoming ( The Wyoming on the NSW Central Coast, Australia, not the American state ) he knew I reconised him and thought I was going to say something to him, but I didn't because I was a bit dumb struck.
    If she did it or not I don't know, but the court says she's innocent so thats the way it goes.

Beautiful Ularu (Ayers Rock) N T Australia
    Last edited by Nowereman; 11-22-2007 at 08:04 PM.

cherryghost Guest
    The dingo did take the baby, its hard to imagine but in the context of the site etc, it really did come in and do the deed! Lindy and family were cleared finally and the mystery was solved! Media was all over the place in this case!

tarsier Guest
    Dunno about the Aussie judicial system but there is generally no such thing as "legally innocent" a person is guilty or not but never declared innopcent the law simply doesn't allow for that.
    I run less symathetic with the McCanns who left very young children alone while they went out to dinner.

lisalouver Guest
    I'm on the fence on this one. I remember the case, but I am not entirely convinced one way or the other.

Chevyheaven Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Puppet View Post
    A dingo ate my baby!

What horrible news.

hoxharding Guest
    Whenever I see the words 'A Dingo Ate my Baby'
    All I can think of is the band of 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' that Oz(the werewolf) was in. *That was the name of the fictional band*

endsleigh03 Guest
    If this could do it...

Then it seems this could too...

This thread made me think of all the news stories this past week of the toddler who got grabbed by the head by a coyote, and dragged away, the nanny saved her. There were several other stories of coyotes doing this to kids. it is DEF possible.
    Hope I got my dingo pic correct.
    Last edited by endsleigh03; 05-11-2008 at 09:12 AM.

39. 05-11-2008, 03:24 PM

D.HagsHusband Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by september View Post
    I sorry but i have to disagree with the comments about dingo here i recently went to taronga zoo in sydney with a friend of ours who runs a dingo sanctuary in vic. She had flow up for the day to deliver two pups to the Zoo. She has been involved in dingo conservation for 30 years. I met the two pups they were very gentle and loving..... The keepers were so excited about there arrival. The keepers said that one of the things the pups are going to be involved in is education programs particuarly about Australian native animals....
    I actually sponsor one at a sanctuary in Bargo about 1 hr from Sydney have done for a few years now. they unfortunately got alot of bad press over the azaria case....one story that has gone around is that one of her young sons actually killed the baby.....i have always found it interesting how a dingo could remove the jacket from the child and leave it lying in one piece....
    its a very sad case either way and only those who were there know what really happened. If anyone is interested in more about the Dingo and our friends here is her website address:

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~dingolyn/index.html
    There are loins and tigers and bears (We're off to see the Wizard...) on Jay Leno too, does that make them harmless too?

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    If this could do it...

Then it seems this could too...

This thread made me think of all the news stories this past week of the toddler who got grabbed by the head by a coyote, and dragged away, the nanny saved her. There were several other stories of coyotes doing this to kids. it is DEF possible.
    Hope I got my dingo pic correct.

We are having coyotes also coming in thru the pet doors in broad daylight in Ca too. This is not uncommon for them to try to find food ANYWHERE. It is a shame as we have cut off their food supply and taken their territory from them so they are now getting desperate and very brave to enter yards and homes. People that live there need to start installing ft fences with shock systems if they are going to keep their kids and animals safe.
    I for one would have a problem with petting a dingo in the outback LOL They are wild dogs and if taken into a zoo and raised by humans they will be tamed. Apples and oranges about dingos. I had a wolf when I was young pert shepard and wolf and never did his animal behavior leave him. He was trained and was a good pet but every now and then his real self would come out.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    We are having coyotes also coming in thru the pet doors in broad daylight in Ca too. This is not uncommon for them to try to find food ANYWHERE. It is a shame as we have cut off their food supply and taken their territory from them so they are now getting desperate and very brave to enter yards and homes. People that live there need to start installing ft fences with shock systems if they are going to keep their kids and animals safe.
    I for one would have a problem with petting a dingo in the outback LOL They are wild dogs and if taken into a zoo and raised by humans they will be tamed. Apples and oranges about dingos. I had a wolf when I was young pert shepard and wolf and never did his animal behavior leave him. He was trained and was a good pet but every now and then his real self would come out.
    I do feel sorry for the coyotes. Hungry and desperate makes for unusually unpredictable animals.
    There is a problem here with the Florida panthers. There are hardly any left. Due to the never-ending building, all the wildlife is being pushed out.
    I was lucky enough to see one about 2 years ago. He was crossing the road right in front of my car (which is also how so many have died) What a beautiful animal. (Yeah, i flew way off topic here )

I do feel sorry for the coyotes. Hungry and desperate makes for unusually unpredictable animals.
    There is a problem here with the Florida panthers. There are hardly any left. Due to the never-ending building, all the wildlife is being pushed out.
    I was lucky enough to see one about 2 years ago. He was crossing the road right in front of my car (which is also how so many have died) What a beautiful animal. (Yeah, i flew way off topic here )

Omg that is the cutest little guy ever!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

cherryghost Guest
    My next door neighbour yrs ago was a crime journo of the highest regards to me even then, he was a crime reporter who went on to write the Brothers in Arms book after Ivan Milat he is still the major crime writer and journo for the Sydney Morning Herald! He said of the Lindy Chamblain case that that after Lindy was convicted, everyone said the journalists up in the NT said " The Dingo go away with murder" This was about 1993.

The outcome of all the journalists up there was that the dingo did take the baby and that was right from the start! From there on I guess there was a miscarrage of justice by media cus it made great press but he was saying the journos there knew "the Dingo took the baby"

He was my neighbour and the best dinner guest to this day I have ever had, as far a great, honest stories true and journalistic! loved his work and was after the truth and not interested in anything but! He works on the most amazing cases and has a nerve of steel but no pretence or ego! The man is a legend!

I wish I still lived next door to him! I have read the books he had written and they are exact and real also! love the guy he still writes for the Sydney morning Herald as their crime reporter! He is a classic!
    Last edited by cherryghost; 05-12-2008 at 07:46 AM.

Cettie Guest
    I have some relatives I'd love to feed to dingos or worse but that would be cruelty to animals.

mac_lorre Guest

**Jenna** Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruz83 View Post
    Hahaha i remember that.

Can someone please refresh my memory? Where were they when the dingo got the baby?
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SheBoss View Post
    Can someone please refresh my memory? Where were they when the dingo got the baby?
    See post # 32

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_lorre View Post
    ~LoL~

See post # 32
    I missed something. I mean were they in a house, or camping in a tent or what? If they were in the middle of the outback, camping in a tent I really have a hard time feeling sorry for them. This is the dingo's territory and they would be tresspassing. If someone or something came up missing, that would be their bad. Kinda the same thing as a surfer getting eaten by a shark. However, if they were in a house, minding their own business and a dingo came in on them, it would be a different story. So, did these folks serve jail time before someone figured out it was indeed a dingo?
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39