Thread: H.G. Wells

Danny62 Guest

H.G. Wells

H. G. Wells was torn between 2 visions...one of salvation and one of doom. He was so obsessed with the future he invented a time machine to take him there.
    Writing at the end of the last century he pioneer a new kind of fiction, science fiction.
    He forecast the 20th century so vividly and accurately he became known as "The Man Who Invented Tomorrow". He saw super highways, overcrowded cities, computers, video cassette players to see novels come to life, televisions to tell the news, tanks used in wars, military use of airplanes, and bombing of cities. In 1911 he forecast a new type of weapon, an atomic weapon, the atomic bomb. He saw them out of control. He saw the bombs made of uranium and would destroy cities.
    He said that if humanity did not change it would destroy itself.
    His final vision in 1933 was of an apocalyptic world war. This would be the end of humanity of all of the cities.
    He prophecized a new consciousness would emerge spear headed by a visionary elite that would take control of the weapons of war and create a world state. They could pacify and lead the people to a new world.
    By the middle of the 21st century he envisioned a peaceful world liberated from old hatreds and adorned with scientific marvels.
    His greatest vision was time travel. Almost 100 years ago he wrote The Time Machine in which he travel to 802,701 into the future and saw a frightening world. He also traveled 30 million years into the future where he saw the death of our planet

Sep 21, 1866-Aug 13, 1946

He died of liver cancer

Belle Guest
    We just watched "War of the Worlds" (old version) this weekend. I had to sadly inform the kid that although Wells was a visionary genius, his personal life left a bit to be desired.

RoRo Guest
    wow thanks for the info !! Very interesting

Kathyf Guest
    another great one Dan Thanks

Littleroben Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BellePosting View Post
    We just watched "War of the Worlds" (old version) this weekend. I had to sadly inform the kid that although Wells was a visionary genius, his personal life left a bit to be desired.
    I've got his biography, will have to put some effort into reading it. Started but there weren't enough pictures for me!

The movie, "Time After Time" starring Malcolm McDowell and Mary Steenburgen is really good. All about HG Wells chasing after Jack the ripper in his time machine - all the way to present day (1978) San Francisco.

I highly recommend that one!