Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mia Zapata

Mia Zapata

Mia Katherine Zapata (August 25, 1965 â?? July 7, 1993) was the lead singer for the Seattle punk rock band The Gits. Highly influential in the Seattle, Washington music scene, she was considered a dynamic live performer and a uniquely gifted lyricist and painter. Zapata is claimed as a major influence by fellow Seattleites 7 Year Bitch, singers Cinder Block of punk bands Tilt and Retching Red, Andrea Zollo of indie-rock band Pretty Girls Make Graves and Brody Dalle of The Distillers.

Music career
    Mia was born and raised in Dallas, Kentucky where she learned to sing and play guitar. Zapata was heavily influenced early on by singers Bessie Smith, Billie Holiday, Jimmy Reed, Ray Charles, Hank Williams and Sam Cooke, television entertainers the Three Stooges, hardcore punk, imaginal poetry such as Arthur Rimbaud's Illuminations and artwork by Egon Schiele and Willem De Kooning.
    In the fall of 1986, she helped co-found punk rock band The Gits while attending Antioch College, a liberal arts college located in Yellow Springs, Ohio. In 1989, Zapata, along with the rest of The Gits, relocated to Seattle, Washington in order to pursue their musical aspirations. The band was successful in Seattle, and released a series of well-received singles on local indie labels from 1990 to 1991. In 1992, the band released its debut album Frenching the Bully, and received good reviews. Notoriety progressively increased before the band entered the studio in 1993 to begin work on their second album Enter: The Conquering Chicken.

Death
    On the morning of July 7, 1993, Zapata decided to walk home from a friend's house shortly after 1am, following a night of drinking at local watering hole, the Comet Tavern. The friend offered to put her up for the night or even to call a taxi but she decided to walk the 1.5 miles to her apartment. It was a fatal decision for her as she was brutally raped and murdered. It is believed she encountered her murderer shortly after 1:15am. According to Unsolved Mysteries, a couple watching a late show from about two blocks from where she was found heard what sounded like screams around 2am. A prostitute found her beaten and mutilated body posed in a Christ-like fashion around 3:30 AM, under a streetlight in a vacant lot nearly halfway between her home and the friend's house that she had left. According to the medical examiner, if she had not been strangled she would have died from the internal injuries suffered during the beating.
    Mia Zapata is interred at Cave Hill Cemetery in Louisville, Kentucky

The murderer
    A jury convicted Florida fisherman Jesus Mezquia of her murder on March 25, 2004, and he was sentenced to 36 years in prison. The case was featured on Unsolved Mysteries, American Justice, City Confidential and on 48 Hours.
    Mezquia was linked to the crime in 2003 when a DNA profile was extracted from a saliva sample left on Zapata's body. It had been kept in cold storage until the STR technology was developed for full extraction. An original entry in 2001 failed to generate a positive result but Mezquia's DNA entered the national databank after he was arrested in Florida for burglary and domestic abuse in 2002.
    Mezquia lived in Seattle at the time and his home address was about three blocks from where her body was found. He had a history of violence toward women including domestic abuse, burglary and assault and battery. All of his ex-girlfriends and his wife had filed reports against him. There was also a report of indecent exposure on file against him in Seattle within two weeks of Zapata's murder. He was one of around 125,000 Cuban exiles released to the United States in the Mariel Boatlift.
    Mezquia never testified in his own defense and still maintains his innocence.
    There had never been any known prior connection between Zapata and Mezquia. It was believed that he was simply a predator looking for a victim and Zapata just had the misfortune to cross his path. It was an example of a "stranger" crime.

...I just saw her story on 48 Hours Mystery today, and it's a shame they never mentioned Joan Jett at all - who made the video "Go Home" for her, and also did some live shows and an album with Mia's band, "the Gits" - altho renamed themselves "Evil Stig" (Live Gits - backwards). I actually consider it one of Joan's best albums!

I remember when America's Most Wanted interviewed Joan Jett about the case - since they were profiling the murder on one of their shows. I recorded that one!

Sad story - a woman's life snuffed out when she was just beginning to make a name for herself...

Lisamarie Guest
    I remebr this case also and just how sad it was, really shows you really can just be in thr wrong place at the wrong time, I also remeber a song she wrote rite before she was murdered and it was about a dream she had she was killed. thats heartbreaking.

Kathyf Guest
    Thanks I never heard about this. Great info and very interesting.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    i'm a fan of The Gits, and it was hard to think that somone would snuff her life out in such a sick way. I remember Joan Jett playing with them at a tribute show for Mia. but they found that sick bastard. and now HIS life is over.

endsleigh03 Guest
    They got him. And that's good.
    But given his history of violence towards woman, maybe they should have locked his ass up permanent like before he went as far as he did.
    She'd still be alive.

cherryghost Guest
    Really sad death, that one, Such a shame she was walking the streets alone, though she made that choice, A few more records and tours and she wouldnt have been going anywhere alone! A Poignant story and poignant young woman with talent and heart!

lisalouver Guest
    I remember Mia in the early 90's. She was really up and coming.

I saw the 48 hours special too. The DNA did that arsehole in. Glad they got him.

Mrs F Guest
    I remember this story! Had not thought of it in a while. Poor Mia. Such a talent. Such a tragedy.

qulevergrrl Guest
    She's in my 27 book.

10. 02-02-2008, 10:42 PM

Thanks for the pic.

I read about this and was heartsick. I never heard any of her music, as I'm deaf, and had not even heard about her until some time after her death. I think I caught the AMW episode and read about it later on the Fuller up (right name?) site. It was just so sad.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Jazbabee Guest
    I have heard of her before, but can't recall the story of her death. How simply brutal and awful !!!!!

Katie Guest
    I don't remember this story, but is truely a sad one.

If only.......

Auntie Venom Guest
    I remember watching her story on American Justice and then going straight to Google to read more about her....awful story. So senseless...

Grungegirl83 Guest
    Poor Mia may she rest in peace

Cat lady in training Guest
    This week Pitchfork is streaming the Gits documentary here:

http://www.pitchfork.tv/week/the-gits

It's a history of the band, the murder, and the trial. It's very well done. I just finished watching it and i cried at least 3 times during it. the interviews with Mia's father are so heartbreaking to me. You could tell she was very loved. I've never watched anything on pitchfork before so I don't know what day the doc will come down, all I know is that it will be up for a week then the link won't work anymore.

Awesome. Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Carrie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deathhagicammie View Post
    This week Pitchfork is streaming the Gits documentary here:

http://www.pitchfork.tv/week/the-gits

It's a history of the band, the murder, and the trial. It's very well done. I just finished watching it and i cried at least 3 times during it. the interviews with Mia's father are so heartbreaking to me. You could tell she was very loved. I've never watched anything on pitchfork before so I don't know what day the doc will come down, all I know is that it will be up for a week then the link won't work anymore.

Very interesting stuff, Cammie, thanks. That poor, poor girl. So sad.

Old Soul Guest
    I am educating myself on this woman, i hadnt heard of her for some reason til i got on here. I got a best songs album downloading.

We lived a mile from it and my wife worked about a block from the Comet and I recall when Mia Zapata went missing. It's not a particularly bad area per se, just wrong place and wrong time.
    By all accounts she was a dynamic and thoughtful person. We need more people like this. RIP.

I do like DNA. We get the bad ones and free the innocents wrongfully convicted.

jeca Guest
    I remember hearing about this. It was so sad and shocking.

It's amazing how many sad tragic stories belong to Seattle residents Kurt, Layne, Mia probably more, a tragic end to this poor womans life

GODDESS6 Guest
    poor mia, gone much too soon~ her american justice story is so heartbreaking~ listening to her father & how hard her death has been on him, makes me cry~

her murderer, was one huge scary guy~ i can't imagine what she must have been feeling that night~ it so bullshit to me, how someone can't even walk down a street anymore w/out fear of things like this~
    may she rest in peace~

She was from Louisville, and is buried here. If there's such a place as Dallas, KY, I've not heard of it.

It was very sad, and I'm glad they caught the guy. He tried to say his saliva got on her breasts by him talking to her. Yeah, OK.

That was my first neighborhood when I moved to Seattle. I knew The Gits and Mia's tragedy when I moved there but did not feel unsafe (I still don't). Unfortunately I believe it was a case of wrong place at the wrong time.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

sultryred Guest
    I was gonna start a thread on Mia but I'm glad it's already been done....
    She's another one of Seattle's grunge-era tragedies.

King Tut Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GODDESS6 View Post
    her murderer, was one huge scary guy~ i can't imagine what she must have been feeling that night~
    I saw the City Confidential one. That monkey was Bigfoot. I know, like somehow it would be easier for we all to comprehend it if it was handsome regular-sized Ted Bundy who raped and killed her. Wow do I hate ******* with a passion.

In a Sea of Sorrow Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    That was my first neighborhood when I moved to Seattle. I knew The Gits and Mia's tragedy when I moved there but did not feel unsafe (I still don't). Unfortunately I believe it was a case of wrong place at the wrong time.

I live 5 miles from Yellow Springs where she attended Antioch college. I worked there over the summer. I had no idea she went to school here. It's strange to think as small as Yellow Springs is, we probably walked in and visited the same places........

laynesgurl09 Guest
    Mia had such an amazing voice, shame she is gone now.

Stargazer Guest
    Hey, I didn't realize anyone on here would remember Mia. Such a sad situation. Just terrible.

It's good to know that there are still plenty of people out there who still listen to her music and appreciate her talent.

In a Sea of Sorrow Guest
    I saw the case on 48 Hours. It was chilling.

Some info from CBS News for those who are interested:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in706348.shtml

girlnamedfaerie Guest
    I never knew that they had caught the guy. I'm glad to hear it. I remember this very well.

MoonRabbit Guest
    I never heard of Mia Zapata either but how sad that she refused to
    take a cab home??
    It is so dangerous to walk during the day now let alone at night.

What a waste of life.

Yeah but this was nearly 15 years ago, and in Seattle's "grunge/punk" subculture where she probably knew just about everybody she saw every day...she probably felt really safe.

I'd never heard of her til I saw a TV show on her, and she was performing in a U of L shirt. I'm a UK fan, but I live in Louisville, and I stayed tuned to see if she was from here, since not too many U of L fans live outside this general area. She was, and is buried here-one day, when my kiddos are older, I'm taking a grave tour around here-all sorts of neat monuments and famous people are around the city.

Old Soul Guest
    I love her music now that ive heard it, she was such a strong woman

Old Soul Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonRabbit View Post
    I never heard of Mia Zapata either but how sad that she refused to
    take a cab home??
    It is so dangerous to walk during the day now let alone at night.

What a waste of life.
    Walking in the northwest is so common!! My husband and i and our friends always walked around in the middle of the night when we were downtown Portland Metro area, and only once did i get scared when a woman was walking behind my husband and i and we were alone. But she started talking to us and said "how long have you been married?" We said 2 years. she said " Hold on to him with your dear life, my soul mate just died in my arms after 11 years of being together, treasure him." And i will never forget that.
    But yeah walking up there is just the way to do about ones day.

Grungegirl83 Guest
    I saw a replay of the 48 Hours on her case, and it is just so sad. It isn't fair to blame her and say what a waste of life it was because she walked home. I walked alone many times in NYC late at night not thinking anything of it, and I'm sure in Seattle it is no different.
    Seeing her dad in teh courtroom with the other Gits members was so heartbreaking.
    Found some cool pics:

this has always been a death that's haunted me. i remember watching her story on some news programs shortly after it happened, and i was pretty young at the time. i remember being so sad about her life being snuffed out like that. at such a young age, with so much potential. i've since grown to appreciate the legacy she left behind.

viva Zapata!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity. ~Edvard Munch

laynesgurl09 Guest
    This is my favorite picture of MIA!!! RIP Love!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grungegirl83 View Post
    I saw a replay of the 48 Hours on her case, and it is just so sad. It isn't fair to blame her and say what a waste of life it was because she walked home. I walked alone many times in NYC late at night not thinking anything of it, and I'm sure in Seattle it is no different.
    Seeing her dad in teh courtroom with the other Gits members was so heartbreaking.
    Found some cool pics:

Heavenly Tiger Guest
    I had only heard of her. Saw a show about her tragic death on Forensic Files and it was featured on a old Unsolved Mysteries. Very glad that Forensics can be used to catch those monsters that would still be free to murder again.

RIP Mia
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

RetroFanatic Guest
    I learned about her death on Unsolved Mysteries. Tragic and sad.

The cold-hearted and worthless bastard who murdered her is where he should be.

I remember seeing her story on Unsolved Mysteries as well. I was so glad when they finally had an update that they had found her killer, and it was just a random guy. I wonder if he found her on her walk, or in her studio, because I remember the show said that her special microphone that she always kept with her was left there, and that was unusual.

RIP Mia

imadeathhag Guest
    I saw the documentary "The Gits" not too long ago. It was good. She seemed like a sweet person and came from a good family. They showed 2 crime scene photos. She was identified by a tattoo of a yellow rose on her ankle. So sad.

Clevelanddeathfan Guest
    Sorry, I thought this was for Pia Zedora, my mistake!

Hilde_Blue Guest
    He should've been left to rot in Castro's prisons!

smooches27 Guest
    I saw her story on Cold Case Files on A&E. Such a sad story. I really think she had great talent and the potential to hit it huge. It is too bad some asshole cut her life so short.

Its on trutv right now.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

bluebird14 Guest
    I remember hearing this story on Unsolved Mysteries years before they knew who murdered her. I'm glad they found her killer.

PurrPurr Guest
    They're running a repeat of the Mia Zapata case on "Forensic Files" on TruTv tonight. I'm watching it now.

malaki Guest
    I remember this on 48 hours......I felt so bad for her dad when he was talking about it...He was so heartbroken