Thread: Richard Kollmar - Producer and Mr. Dorothy Kilgallen

radiojane Guest

Richard Kollmar - Producer and Mr. Dorothy Kilgallen

If, by some chance the search function has failed me again, just merge the freaking thread. The constant uppity admonitions to "use the search function" are beginning to be something of a bore.

1910-1971

Until I started reading Lee Israel's biography of Dorothy Kilgallen, I never realized that the Richard Kollmar I knew as radio's Boston Blackie was the same man married to the columnist. While he did act, the majority of his career was spent behind the scenes, and that's why I've decided to include him here.

He was born in 1910, in Ridgewood NJ. His father, who had failed at running his own business, had settled comfortably into a job for the board of education. His mother, a direct descendant of Daniel D. Tompkins, was insanely proud of her lineage, and instilled the same values in her son.

He ran away from home at a young age, ostensibly to find fame as an actor. When his father located him, he dragged him home and sent him to a farm for juvenile deliquents. He later dropped out of Yale drama.

His rich voice led to many broadway roles as a young juvenile lead, and easy work in radio, most notably as the lead in Boston Blackie. It was while performing in Knickerbocker Holiday on Broadway, that he met broadway columnist Dorothy Kilgallen. They were married in April 1940, and subsequently had three children: Richard Kollmar Jr (Dickie), Jill and Kerry (who appeared in the Annette Funicello movie Pajama Party).

Richard moved into producing, cleverly using his wife's contacts and clout to aid him in his efforts. Unfortunately, many of his more artistic endeavors were failures, he did score some hits with more "low brow" comedies. (When Kollmar discovered he could use topless women onstage, as long as they were still, he found the largest breasted actresses around, and used them as stage decorations).

Kollmar and Kilgallen did a radio show from the dining room of their Park Avenue apartment, called Breakfast with Dick and Dorothy. (you can listen to it here. (It's track #22 on the quick play list) Here they recounted their Manhattan night life adventures for listeners. They threw huge parties, lived at the Stork Club and enjoyed the prominence they were afforded.

Kollmar cheated on his wife constantly, and numerous consorts became pregnant, and Kollmar spent a veritable fortune paying off these flings. Having converted to Catholicism before his marriage, He shunned admonitions to take precautions, claiming it was against his religion.

Kilgallen died in 1965, and her death is large part of Kennedy conspiracy lore. He remarried in 1967 Kollmar commited suicide in 1971 by overdose.

Random Factoids:

He collected cigar store indians and models of hands.

He owned a nightclub called The Left Bank

He produced Dream With Music, By Jupiter, and On Your Fancy. Dream with Music was written by his wife.

There was a room in the Kollmar's Park avenue Apartment painted ceiling to floor in black with an antique swan carosel used as a settee.

You can listen to Kollmar as Blackie Here

Long Gone Day Guest
    Thanks for providing the two links so we can hear them. I wonder why he decided to commit suicide? Too many "offspring" to support or pay off? Dorothy must have really loved him or loved being a Catholic. Anyway, going to listen to the radio shows. Nice post, Jane.

pattykad Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    If, by some chance the search function has failed me again, just merge the freaking thread. The constant uppity admonitions to "use the search function" are beginning to be something of a bore.

1910-1971

Until I started reading Lee Israel's biography of Dorothy Kilgallen, I never realized that the Richard Kollmar I knew as radio's Boston Blackie was the same man married to the columnist. While he did act, the majority of his career was spent behind the scenes, and that's why I've decided to include him here.

He was born in 1910, in Ridgewood NJ. His father, who had failed at running his own business, had settled comfortably into a job for the board of education. His mother, a direct descendant of Daniel D. Tompkins, was insanely proud of her lineage, and instilled the same values in her son.

He ran away from home at a young age, ostensibly to find fame as an actor. When his father located him, he dragged him home and sent him to a farm for juvenile deliquents. He later dropped out of Yale drama.

His rich voice led to many broadway roles as a young juvenile lead, and easy work in radio, most notably as the lead in Boston Blackie. It was while performing in Knickerbocker Holiday on Broadway, that he met broadway columnist Dorothy Kilgallen. They were married in April 1940, and subsequently had three children: Richard Kollmar Jr (Dickie), Jill and Kerry (who appeared in the Annette Funicello movie Pajama Party).

Richard moved into producing, cleverly using his wife's contacts and clout to aid him in his efforts. Unfortunately, many of his more artistic endeavors were failures, he did score some hits with more "low brow" comedies. (When Kollmar discovered he could use topless women onstage, as long as they were still, he found the largest breasted actresses around, and used them as stage decorations).

Kollmar and Kilgallen did a radio show from the dining room of their Park Avenue apartment, called Breakfast with Dick and Dorothy. (you can listen to it here. (It's track #22 on the quick play list) Here they recounted their Manhattan night life adventures for listeners. They threw huge parties, lived at the Stork Club and enjoyed the prominence they were afforded.

Kollmar cheated on his wife constantly, and numerous consorts became pregnant, and Kollmar spent a veritable fortune paying off these flings. Having converted to Catholicism before his marriage, He shunned admonitions to take precautions, claiming it was against his religion.

Kilgallen died in 1965, and her death is large part of Kennedy conspiracy lore. He remarried in 1967 Kollmar commited suicide in 1971 by overdose.

Random Factoids:

He collected cigar store indians and models of hands.

He owned a nightclub called The Left Bank

He produced Dream With Music, By Jupiter, and On Your Fancy. Dream with Music was written by his wife.

There was a room in the Kollmar's Park avenue Apartment painted ceiling to floor in black with an antique swan carosel used as a settee.

You can listen to Kollmar as Blackie Here

I admire your courage to even start a thread. I've always been afraid to
    for that reason! I'm always intersested in Kilgallen. Wonder why he killed himself....

radiojane Guest
    me too. there isn't a lot of info on him online. Most of my info is from Israel's book. He did have a drinking problem.

Wait...so birth control was against his religion, but cheating wasn't? Umm...way to pick your sins, dude! I wonder if his suicide wasn't caused by guilt from cheating on his wife who then up and died.
    "You live alone, creating your life as you go." - Edie Sedgwick

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MagneticElectric View Post
    Wait...so birth control was against his religion, but cheating wasn't? Umm...way to pick your sins, dude! I wonder if his suicide wasn't caused by guilt from cheating on his wife who then up and died.

By the time Dorothy died she'd already had a few affairs of her own. I found out today that by the time Dolly died, she was the sole breadwinner, and they had next to no savings. He packed his youngest child (kerry) off to a foster home, dicked around for about four years drinking himself into a stupor, and then swallowed every pill he could get his hands on.

While there is some doubt as to whether his wife took her own life, there is no doubt that Richard did.

Dixie Girl Guest
    Nice thread Very interesting story!

By the time Dorothy died she'd already had a few affairs of her own. I found out today that by the time Dolly died, she was the sole breadwinner, and they had next to no savings. He packed his youngest child (kerry) off to a foster home, dicked around for about four years drinking himself into a stupor, and then swallowed every pill he could get his hands on.

While there is some doubt as to whether his wife took her own life, there is no doubt that Richard did.
    Interesting. So maybe he just got tired of it all and ended his life. I've never really had an opinion about Dorothy's death. Seems weird, but then again, it could be exactly what it seems.
    "You live alone, creating your life as you go." - Edie Sedgwick

radiojane Guest
    In Dorothy's case her stomach contents were improperly analyzed, and she'd been drinking all night, and at her age in her health it was very likely an accidental overdose. What made it suspicious was her household staffs attempts to make it not suspicious.

Richard had major issues. His suicide could be seen a mile away.

Quote Originally Posted by MagneticElectric View Post
    Hmmm.... "Devout" Catholic, cheated on his wife and knocked up his mistress, and a heavy drinker? Whoa, for a minute there, I thought someone was talking about Mel Gibson!!!

i think it is Possible Richard killed Dorothy.

To reiterate,Lee Israel suggests a new public affair was the motive,after they reconciled after Johnny Ray.

He had the same prescription,and killing himself in the same room by the same means may suggest guilt.
    Last edited by midnitelamp; 05-24-2009 at 01:53 AM. Reason: i know i put this theory in every Killgallen thread,but i don't know if everyone saw it. sue me.
    Knowlege Comes With Deaths release

Heaven's on the pillow,it's Silence competes with Hell

"If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnitelamp View Post
    i think it is Possible Richard killed Dorothy.

To reiterate,Lee Israel suggests a new public affair was the motive,after they reconciled after Johnny Ray.

He had the same prescription,and killing himself in the same room by the same means may suggest guilt.

I agree with the many that think Kollmar didn't have the balls to do it, although I do believe she was having an affair.

i don't think he could beat,stab,strangle,or even push her out the window,but "Another drink,dear?" i could see.
    Knowlege Comes With Deaths release

Heaven's on the pillow,it's Silence competes with Hell

"If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnitelamp View Post
    i don't think he could beat,stab,strangle,or even push her out the window,but "Another drink,dear?" i could see.

Possible...

1karenhb Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
    Hmmm.... "Devout" Catholic, cheated on his wife and knocked up his mistress, and a heavy drinker? Whoa, for a minute there, I thought someone was talking about Mel Gibson!!!
    LMAO! Interesting thread.

Possible...
    Hey Radio Jane
    I really enjoyed the book. Thanks for the heads up on it. Lee Israel is an interesting writer. She wrote another book -a memoir- of herself as a forger. Very great read. She really descends into the depths.
    It's called, 'Can you ever forgive me.'

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/03/bo.../Mallon-t.html
    Delusion. Life's Best Coping Mechanism
    Check out Floyd's new Band:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHYA5iAAJg8

2Dogs Guest
    Bump.

I was searching to see if there was a thread on Dorothy Kilgallen and I found this one.

Here is a ??What??s My Line? episode with Richard Killmar as the mystery guest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7upkrm4eOlc&playnext=1&list=PLF8EA6F6D791523F2&index=45

I was going to start a separate thread for Dorothy, but I guess this would be a good place to talk about her.

One of my favorite childhood memories was watching ??What??s My Line?? with my parents. I specifically remember Dorothy Kilgallen because when I was really young I somehow got it into my head that she was related to Glinda, the good witch from The Wizard of Oz. I don??t know why.

With the advent of YouTube, I??ve enjoyed watching old episodes of WML, especially those with Kilgallen. But it wasn??t until a couple of years ago that I did some research on her and learned what an interesting career she had and was surprised to discover that there was a murder conspiracy theory surrounding her death, and that it involves the assassination of JFK.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKkilgallen.htm

Dorothy??s last appearance on What??s My Line, she died later that night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfjkQE-l2Ho&feature=related

aLiLdirt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Dogs View Post
    Bump.

I was searching to see if there was a thread on Dorothy Kilgallen and I found this one.
    I also searched for a thread on Dorothy Kilgallen and was surprised to find there isn't one.

Her case mystifies me.

radiojane Guest
    I made one. I KNOW I did!!!

MODS!!!

Lol seriously my memory sucks. Maybe I didn't. I'll go look.

radiojane Guest
    Apparently I didn't and we don't. I'm starting one though!

Quote Originally Posted by 2Dogs View Post
    Bump.

Here is a ??What??s My Line? episode with Richard Killmar as the mystery guest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7upkrm4eOlc&playnext=1&list=PLF8EA6F6D791523F2&index=45

I was going to start a separate thread for Dorothy, but I guess this would be a good place to talk about her.

One of my favorite childhood memories was watching ??What??s My Line?? with my parents. I specifically remember Dorothy Kilgallen because when I was really young I somehow got it into my head that she was related to Glinda, the good witch from The Wizard of Oz. I don??t know why.

With the advent of YouTube, I??ve enjoyed watching old episodes of WML, especially those with Kilgallen. But it wasn??t until a couple of years ago that I did some research on her and learned what an interesting career she had and was surprised to discover that there was a murder conspiracy theory surrounding her death, and that it involves the assassination of JFK.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKkilgallen.htm

Dorothy??s last appearance on What??s My Line, she died later that night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfjkQE-l2Ho&feature=related
    Thanks for all the good info.

I also think that Lee Harvey Oswald was not a
    Lone gunman.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.