Thread: King Vidor

radiojane Guest

King Vidor

1894-1982

King Wallis Vidor was born in Galveston, Texas, the son of a prosperous lumber merchant of Hungarian descent. Movie crazy from boyhood - his first job was as a ticket-taker and projectionist at Galveston's only nickelodeon - he bought a camera at age 18 and starting shooting local events to sell to regional newsreels. In 1915 he married aspiring actress Florence Vidor and the couple headed for Hollywood. While Florence quickly became a popular screen idol Vidor had a rougher go of it, working odd jobs at Universal before making his feature directing debut with "The Turn in the Road" (1919). From 1920 to 1923 he had his own little studio, Vidor Village, where he wrote, produced, and directed such modest features as "The Jack-Knife Man" (1920) and "The Sky Pilot" (1921), many of them starring his wife. Both his studio and his marriage collapsed around the same time and in 1924 he found himself single and on staff at the newly-formed MGM. There he made his first outstanding film, "The Big Parade" (1925). A lyrical love story set amidst the horror of World War I, it was the biggest box-office hit of the 1920s and brought Vidor international fame. Following this he displayed his versatility with the operatic melodrama "La Boheme" (1926), the swashbuckler "Bardleys the Magnificent" (1926), and the classic Tinseltown satire "Show People" (1928). But these were merely the dues he paid in order to make "The Crowd", long regarded as one of the supreme masterpieces of the silent cinema. Employing camerawork of unprecedented freedom, Vidor charted the ups and (mostly) downs of an ordinary young couple striving to get ahead in the big city, but who ultimately fade into the faceless multitude. It starred a then-unknown bit player, James Murray, and the director's second wife, Eleanor Boardman (they were married from 1926 to 1931). Vidor entered talkies in top form with the all-black melodrama "Hallelujah!", the early widescreen western "Billy the Kid" (1930), and particularly "Street Scene" (1931), in which he used a "fly-on-the-wall" camera technique to lift the story almost clear of its stage play origins; but he never quite recaptured the sheer virtuosity of his earlier work. After the failure of his independently-produced "Our Daily Bread" (1934), which offered the notion of collective farms as a solution to Depression-era woes, Vidor devoted himself to making the most out of studio assignments. The greatest successes of his commercial period were "The Citadel" and the sexy western epic "Duel in the Sun" (1946). His other noteworthy films include "Bird of Paradise" (1932), "Stella Dallas" (1937), "Northwest Passage" (1940), "The Fountainhead" (1949), "Beyond the Forest" (1949), "Ruby Gentry" (1952), and "Man Without a Star" (1955). He also directed, without credit, the Kansas scenes of "The Wizard of Oz" (1939), taking over for Victor Fleming. Unable to get another major project off the ground after his expensive Biblical flop "Solomon and Sheba" (1959), Vidor turned to small-scale documentaries, the last of which, "The Metaphor", was completed in 1980. He lectured widely, taught a graduate class at UCLA, and appeared as an actor in Robert Altman's "A Wedding" (1978). He also wrote two books: "A Tree Is a Tree" (1952), an autobiography, and "King Vidor on Filmaking" (1972). In 1979 Vidor was awarded an Honorary Oscar for Lifetime Achievement and later that year flew to Moscow to attend a festival of his work. His third and last marriage, to screenwriter Elizabeth Hill, lasted from 1932 until his death at 88. In his best-selling book "A Cast of Killers" (1986), author Sidney D. Kirkpatrick asserted that in 1967 Vidor not only investigated but solved the notorious 1922 murder of director William Desmond Taylor.

Vidor with Audrey Hepburn in 1979

trose Guest
    Interesting life, to be sure!

ShockDoc Guest
    Jeez, his NAME even sounds like a movie...

ShockDoc Guest
    BTW, it's pronounced "Vee-dor (as in 'Door')

Related to Gore Vidal? In turn related to Al Gore?
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Cadence71 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Related to Gore Vidal? In turn related to Al Gore?
    LOL...I enjoy your sense of humor, Neil!

Toward the end of his life the married Vidor started fooling around with Colleen Moore. They were in their 70's!! Go team! Vidor's wife literally made Vidor live in the doghouse. It was a doghouse that had a human bed and bathroom in it.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnusDippytack View Post
    Toward the end of his life the married Vidor started fooling around with Colleen Moore. They were in their 70's!! Go team! Vidor's wife literally made Vidor live in the doghouse. It was a doghouse that had a human bed and bathroom in it.
    Horny old Geezer wasn't he?

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnusDippytack View Post

According to the info that I have, Vidor had a guest house in the back of the property that he used as an office. When Moore came back into his life (they'd had an affair in the 20's), Betty Vidor told him to leave and he moved into the office. When Betty died (of heart failure brought on by anorexia at age 74), she stated in her will that all her property went to her dog Toby, and that Vidor continue to be barred from the house.

I think that's where the doggy door story began.

I just finished the Sydney Kirkpatrick book about Vidor's investigation into the William Desmond Taylor murder. I'm now poking around to see what's true and what's not.

Taggerez Guest
    My fellow Texan King Vidor had one of the longest careers in the history of motion pictures, starting with his first film, Hurricane in Galveston (1913), and concluding with the 1980 documentary, The Metaphor.

Not only did he survive the Galveston Hurricane of 1900, he went on to direct one of Hollywood's most left-wing films, Our Daily Bread as well as it's most right-wing film, The Fountainhead.

Giada Guest
    Interesting post Radio ...

I knew there was a good amount of hiring and firing with Wizard of Oz. If there isn't a book published on the behind the scenes rotation of characters, Vidor being one of them, there should be.

It's my understanding David Chase, (The Sopranos) is planning a series based on early Hollywood/LA.
    Last edited by Giada; 05-04-2009 at 12:46 PM.

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Giada View Post

It's my understanding David Chase, (The Sopranos) is planning a series based on early Hollywood/LA.

God, if they did it right, that would be a damned good show.

Long Gone Day Guest
    It sure would.

Just seen his movie "The Crowd" for the first time a few nights
    ago.
    King Vidor wanted to make a film about it's star James Murray
    his life and early sad death but never did.

I read the book "A Cast of Killers" about William Desmond Taylor and King Vidor many years ago. Should dig it up and read again. It was very well written and researched, using mostly Vidor's files of his investigation. Its as entertaining for its story of Vidor as much as Taylor's murder.

Vidor was incredibly talented, a great guy. He certainly knew where all the bodies were buried in Hollywood, but was respectful enough not to make tabloid fodder of it.