Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Karen Silkwood

Batmama Guest

Karen Silkwood

Silkwood (1983)

The Rocky Dennis thread reminded me of another movie Cher is in that I like.Anyone else seen this movie?Any thoughts on Karen Silkwood?I think it was pretty bad that she left her kids like she did but then I wasn't in her shoes.

Any thoughts on her death?Accident or murder?I kinda lean toward murder.

Jazbabee Guest
    I have always felt that this was murder, without a doubt

Katie Guest
    I loved this movie, and wish she had lived to tell all.

Cher did a great job on it, and Kurt Russell was dreamy.

This was also a favorite movie of mine - starring Cher.

Altho some of it is fiction and apparently the people who the movie was about, are a bit peeved about the way they were portrayed - especially Cher's character, "Dolly", and how at the end it seems as if Dolly ratted out on Silkwood. Some people weren't too happy with that!

I also think it was murder too - a cover up thing.

If you can find any of the biographies about Karen Silkwood - they are pretty good.

Kathyf Guest
    What a great movie and story. That must have been horrible to live thru that.
    Last edited by Kathyf; 11-10-2007 at 10:30 PM.

endsleigh03 Guest
    That was a good movie, I saw it not too long ago.
    I saw an interview with KS real children some time ago.
    They were less than sympathetic towards their mother.
    Things musta been bad when they were small.

Irishlass Guest
    I think she was murdered

Funny thing i was looking up more about her on Google thats how i found Findadeath.com!

Batmama Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    That was a good movie, I saw it not too long ago.
    I saw an interview with KS real children some time ago.
    They were less than sympathetic towards their mother.
    Things musta been bad when they were small.

When she left their father she left the kids as well.

Katie Guest
    The movie glamorized her. The kids were taken from her, because she was not that great a mom.

I also learned of Find a Death, by looking her up.

Kerr McGee had her whacked.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

ManUnitedRedDevil Guest
    Here is a picture of Karen (looks like a high school pic) and her car after her "accident".

http://history.sandiego.edu/GEN/USPics45/90327a.jpg

RoRo Guest
    I loved this movie and regardless of how good/bad a mother she was her death is still tragic. I firmly believe she was murdered by Kerr- McGee

Quote Originally Posted by ManUnitedRedDevil View Post
    Here is a picture of Karen (looks like a high school pic) and her car after her "accident".

http://history.sandiego.edu/GEN/USPics45/90327a.jpg
    Man, she got mashed up pretty good - according to the "accordion" style of her Honda Civic there!

She was either going a high rate of speed to crash into that wall, or someone "shoved" her from behind. What a way to go...

Lobsters Guest
    Kerr McGee DEFINITELY had her offed. No doubt about it.

I love that movie too. The end of it makes me cry every time. I love the song Amazing Grace.

marimbagirl Guest
    Kerr McGee is still huge here in Oklahoma. I don't live too far from where her accident was and I have to tell you that I've seen so many cars off the road and in ditches that looked just like hers. Crescent, like many cities in this state, is podunk middle of nowhere. People here drive like morons, especially in the country. Speeding, dodging in and out of traffic, not to mention the number of animals that run out in front of you on an every day basis. People not paying attention, something runs in front of them and they swerve.

Now, is that what happened to Karen Silkwood. No clue, but again, I've seen stranger things happen around here.

Your right about the critters here in Oklahoma, the deer are very sucidal this year.

marimbagirl Guest
    It goes in cycles. The turtles cross the roads in the summer, the deer in fall, racoons, possums, and skunks are all year round. It's just something about this year though. We had a cricket infestation in August and now we're in the middle of a ladybug swarm. It's like driving over bubble wrap when I go to work in the mornings.

Doing the talimena drive tomorrow, hope I don't hit anything. Or see Bigfoot.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Your right about the critters here in Oklahoma, the deer are very sucidal this year.
    I've almost hit a few deer out here in Texas. They just run right across the road in front of you!

Right now it's mating season and the males are rutting - I have to be careful when I'm out walking my dog, since they just eyeball him like crazy!

murdered

Quote Originally Posted by marimbagirl View Post
    It goes in cycles. The turtles cross the roads in the summer, the deer in fall, racoons, possums, and skunks are all year round. It's just something about this year though. We had a cricket infestation in August and now we're in the middle of a ladybug swarm. It's like driving over bubble wrap when I go to work in the mornings.

Ug.. ladybugs stink when they get squashed.

That being said.. I think it was murder. That link that was posted though- I read the little bit of text there and it said she deliberately poisoned herself?
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

Batmama Guest
    I remember reading that there was damage to the back of her car(bumper I think)like she had been hit or pushed.

ManUnitedRedDevil Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmama View Post
    I remember reading that there was damage to the back of her car(bumper I think)like she had been hit or pushed.
    Its hard to tell from the picture, but I think that there was so much damage that was done to her car that it would be pretty difficult to tell if the damage in the back was caused by the accident, pulling the car out of the culvert, or someone bumping her off the road. It makes it easy to dismiss any kind of damage on the back of her car.

Batmama Guest

Katie Guest
    Thank you, that was good info.

Batmama Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    Thank you, that was good info.
    You're welcome.

Wow, no love lost with her kids...sad.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Wow, Batmama, that was a great article. I bet I've seen that movie a dozen times over the years and this gives a lot of the backstory I've always wondered about.

Kids sure are bitter. That's too bad for both the children and Karen.

That car accident and the quaaludes are pretty hinky.

Batmama Guest
    I read an interview with her kids in People magazine a few years ago.I think that's where those quotes from the kids came from.From what I remember the 2 younger kids don't even remember her.I can understand how they feel since she did abandon them.On the other hand I feel for her for what happened to her.

ApricotRoses Guest

Silkwood

I loved this movie also. Cher was great. I think it was murder. What a horrible job that must have been. They needed to shut her up.... and shut her up they did. SlimeBalls.

RigorMortis Guest
    conspiracy and murder tyvm

Snoopy Guest
    I read that also and if you look at the picture it does seem as though there is back end damage.

Mamma Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marimbagirl View Post
    This is hilarious, and yet so true! We have the same problem here ... deer, turtles, and especially opossums and armadillo. Saddest sight I saw one morning was a mamma opossum who had been carrying her babies on her back. They got hit - wah.

On topic, I personally feel Silkwood was murdered, IF the information about the rear of her car being smashed is accurate. I also believe that the peoples responsible for her being whacked KNEW she was into amphetamines (sp?) and pot, and knew that such substances in her bloodstream would be found, thus putting the blame on her, solely. Rumor has it she left a meeting with an envelope full of info for the NY Times was it? When she was found after the crash, there was no envelope.

I have the movie, it's pretty amazing stuff. That, along with the info I have been able to research as well. I agree, great topic Silkwood.

lisalouver Guest
    Great article. The daughters are very bitter. The son however does not seem bitter at all.

Plutonium on her food and in her apartment?

I forgot that she was on her way to meet a reporter. Seems a bit suspect to me.

I think murder here.

Murder.

I saw the movie years ago, when it was first released and I thought Cher did a great job. Since, I have read up on it; matter of fact I read a book, but I can't remember the name of it or who wrote it. Aside from everything else. what made me believe it was murder was that packet of missing information. If it had been just a horrible accident, those papers would have still been there, but they weren't.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Mamma Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Great article. The daughters are very bitter. The son however does not seem bitter at all.

Plutonium on her food and in her apartment?

I forgot that she was on her way to meet a reporter. Seems a bit suspect to me.

I think murder here.
    Yeah, the reporter was from the NY Times that she supposedly had a brief affair with. I've never read the book though, and what few websites I have found of Karen, they rarely bring up the reporter unless it's about the conspiracy theory. Much suspect.

lisalouver Guest
    Did I miss reading about her girlfriend that Cher played, or was that just added in for the movie?

laynesgrl Guest
    I read an interview with her kids in People magazine a few years ago.I think that's where those quotes from the kids came from.From what I remember the 2 younger kids don't even remember her.I can understand how they feel since she did abandon them.On the other hand I feel for her for what happened to her.

Yeah, I'm from the same town that her kids grew up in, Ardmore, Oklahoma. The oldest daughter, was a year behind me in school. They never talked about their mom. They hated the publicity too. And their dad was very protective of them. But, I think they got a settlement from their mom's death didn't they??

Loved the movie, I could listen to Meryl Streep all day in that movie. But sad story

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by laynesgrl View Post
    Yeah, I'm from the same town that her kids grew up in, Ardmore, Oklahoma. The oldest daughter, was a year behind me in school. They never talked about their mom. They hated the publicity too. And their dad was very protective of them. But, I think they got a settlement from their mom's death didn't they??
    1.3 million....in 1986 dollars.

That might have soothed whatever issues they had with their mom

Orleans Guest
    Why have I not seen this movie?! I love everybody in it...and the storyline of course. OK, my personal deadline to see it is one month from today.

Long Gone Day Guest
    Murder.

I first read of her case in Rolling Stone back in the day. They did a really extensive investigative piece on the work she was doing and her suspicious death. Definitely worth reading if you can find the back issue. She was really under a great deal of stress at the time, doing a lot of dangerous investigation. She was a real hero, though, and a very bright and courageous person. The story of Erin Brockovich reminded me of Silkwood.

Sorry to hear her children have a poor opinion of her. Sounds like she was someone who got married and started a family at a young age before she was ready to take care of them. Like Erin Brockovich, she got caught up in her work and didn't have a lot of time for family and was probably judged too harshly.

murder

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Demgirl View Post
    I first read of her case in Rolling Stone back in the day. They did a really extensive investigative piece on the work she was doing and her suspicious death. Definitely worth reading if you can find the back issue. She was really under a great deal of stress at the time, doing a lot of dangerous investigation. She was a real hero, though, and a very bright and courageous person. The story of Erin Brockovich reminded me of Silkwood.

Sorry to hear her children have a poor opinion of her. Sounds like she was someone who got married and started a family at a young age before she was ready to take care of them. Like Erin Brockovich, she got caught up in her work and didn't have a lot of time for family and was probably judged too harshly.
    Great post.

Hag1 Guest
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXuj4FWqIFg

A lot of familiar faces in the movie. I loved it. I think it was murder too.

laynesgrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    1.3 million....in 1986 dollars.

That might have soothed whatever issues they had with their mom
    I'm sure it did!!

Brina Guest
    murder

DJ's_Hub-Hag Guest
    Today is the 35th anniversay of the death (murder) of Karen Silkwood.

Nov. 13, 1974 must have been a day of evil becuase it was the day of the DeFeo murders in Amityville, NY too.

jaylene Guest
    when you marry young I don't think you know how to handle very adult situations and a husband cheating on you would be an adult thing so I wasn't there and in her shoes so I can't judge her. Not defending her and those kids did suffer without a mom but this is just a tragic thing. I would like to know more about her childhood. maybe there are answers there. idk