Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Emmett Till

RaRaRamona Guest
    Thanks Linnie! It's very interesting to hear the different opinions of the events. I feel like I getting a better idea of what actually happened that day. It's still sad & it's still so so so stupid & such a waste.

That poor, poor baby. I think of him often. His mother was very brave...to lose your only child like that...I cant imagine.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Lynchings were way too common back then.
    Billy Holiday had a tremendous influance on the "anti-lynching movement" (yes it was actually called that).
    She was brave enough to record an incredible song that had been written by two New Yorkers about the actual lynching of two men called "Strange Fruit" She began closing her act with it in 1936.It made history when she actually sang it on the Ed Sullivan show very controversial stuff at the time.
    Her label Columbia refused to record it. It was Milt Gabler ( Billy Crystal's uncle) who finally stepped up and recorded it on his Commodore label. It won a Grammy was eventually named one of the important songs of the century by Time magazine.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4ZyuULy9zs
    It is said she cried every single time she ever sang it.
    What happened to young Emmit was horrible and but the courage of his Mom to make sure people saw the rrsults changed history, slowly but surely.
    Racisim certainly is alive and well today. It may not be as overt as it once was and it may intersect and be almost inseperable in the minds of some people with issues of class but it is still just as awful and deadly.
    It was only ten years ago that a black man was dragged to his death behind a pick-up truck and his head was eventually pulled from his body. The difference this time was they were promtly arrested by the white cops and they were prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
    James Byrd, Jasper Texas 1998. Inch by glacial inch we become better people I like to think. It just takes good people doing the right thing in the smallest of ways each day and confronting evil and injustice when they are faced with it. Not always easy.
    Regards,
    Mary

Taggerez Guest
    What things did he find? Would I find anything if I search?
    Likely nothing. Only one wittness to the kidnapping and killing remains alive and even he may be ten toes up by now. The trail is stone cold and so much has been distorted or "legendized" that seperating fact from fiction can be a chore.

Among the things Gothard found was that blacks participated in the kidnapping of Till. The makers of the documetary, The Untold Story of Emmitt Till discovered this as well 30 years after Gothard, so that's out now. Without spilling the beans too much (John's daughter might yet want to publish his manuscript), Till was involved in some incidents in Chicago that precipitated his visit to Mississippi.

Incidently, Carolyn Bryant tried to hide the Till incident from her husband, who was out of town hauling a shipment of shrimp down to Brownsville, Texas on the day of the encounter. Trouble was, everyone in Money knew about it.

While browsing Netflix, I saw a documentary regarding Emmett and looked him up on Wikipedia. I couldn't even read the entire thing and that post mortem picture! That poor kid. I'm all for death haggery, but I couldn't fathom standing around watching someone being lynched. How the hell do those people live with themselves?
    "You live alone, creating your life as you go." - Edie Sedgwick

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Taggerez View Post
    Likely nothing. Only one wittness to the kidnapping and killing remains alive and even he may be ten toes up by now. The trail is stone cold and so much has been distorted or "legendized" that seperating fact from fiction can be a chore.

Among the things Gothard found was that blacks participated in the kidnapping of Till. The makers of the documetary, The Untold Story of Emmitt Till discovered this as well 30 years after Gothard, so that's out now. Without spilling the beans too much (John's daughter might yet want to publish his manuscript), Till was involved in some incidents in Chicago that precipitated his visit to Mississippi.

Incidently, Carolyn Bryant tried to hide the Till incident from her husband, who was out of town hauling a shipment of shrimp down to Brownsville, Texas on the day of the encounter. Trouble was, everyone in Money knew about it.
    Yes, I found it very interesting that at least two blacks were involved in the violence. One helped hold him down, right? Another was named but denies it. I don't blame him. I would be interested in reading the book if it ever came out.

The more I learn about the story the more intrigued I become. His cousins said in the docu that he was a bit of a troublemaker. I am conflicted about how his story became so whitewashed, if you will, in the retelling & scandal. If all the little "forgotten" (brushed aside?) details were widely known would it have been such a huge national story? Sadly, probably not. But still, I like to know exactly what happened. That's what makes me a death hag.

Keyser Soze Guest
    Milam died of cancer in 1980 and Bryant in 1994 of the same cause. The men never expressed any remorse for Till's death and seemed to feel that they had done no wrong. In fact, a few months before he died, Bryant complained bitterly in an interview that he had never made as much money off Till's death as he deserved and that it had ruined his life.

These assholes are burning in hell as we speak! (and...is it just me, or is everyone wearing a white shirt??!!??)
    Last edited by Keyser Soze; 06-02-2009 at 04:29 AM.

Taggerez Guest
    Frankly, the Till case is just such a sordid story that revisiting it is like picking at a wound that won't heal.

Bryant's defense team dragged up the fact that the U.S. Army had executed Emmett's father, Louis Till in Italy in 1945 for raping two Italian women and killing a third during WWII. The insinuation being that Emmett's behavior ran in the family. That prompted the Tills and the black community on Chicago's South Side to circle the wagons and shut off the flow of factual information. That, and the motives and secrets of the people in the shadows down in Mississippi, has kept the full facts of this sorry incident from coming to light, possibly forever. The more you know, the less simple the bigger picture gets.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Taggerez View Post
    The more you know, the less simple the bigger picture gets.
    Ain't that the truth.

I did read about his dad & that his mom accused the military of framing him. I would love to know more about that but I am sure I never will. I don't have an opinion on it but knowing she didn't exactly tell the whole truth about Emmett makes me wonder how much of what she said about her husband was based in reality. Of course, seeing how she either forgot or never would let herself see Emmett's trouble making ways makes me wonder if she was also able to convince herself of her husband's innocence.

Years ago, I knew a couple of African American single mothers who sent their sons "down south" to be raised by relatives, in order to keep them out of the kind of trouble usually prevalent in Northern urban settings. So it's certainly conceivable this could have been the case for Emmett Till and his mother.
    Of course, now "that kind of trouble" happens almost everywhere, PLUS one still has the threat of getting oneself killed like Emmett Till or James Byrd.

Emmett was apparently fresh, arrogant, and snotty, not unusual behaviors in teenaged boys. He deserved to be taken down a peg or two or three, and maybe whupped but good--- by his relatives. No matter what Taggerez is implying, I do NOT believe he deserved to be murdered for his offenses, whatever the heck they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
    Years ago, I knew a couple of African American single mothers who sent their sons "down south" to be raised by relatives, in order to keep them out of the kind of trouble usually prevalent in Northern urban settings. So it's certainly conceivable this could have been the case for Emmett Till and his mother.
    Of course, now "that kind of trouble" happens almost everywhere, PLUS one still has the threat of getting oneself killed like Emmett Till or James Byrd.

Emmett was apparently fresh, arrogant, and snotty, not unusual behaviors in teenaged boys. He deserved to be taken down a peg or two or three, and maybe whupped but good--- by his relatives. No matter what Taggerez is implying, I do NOT believe he deserved to be murdered for his offenses, whatever the heck they were.
    Spot on, baby!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post

Sending your kids Down South now (including the past couple of decades) is nothing like sending the Down South fifty tears ago. I still think that was a HUGE mistake, no matter the reason. The trouble he was getting into in Chicago was nothing compared to what was waiting in Mississippi - obviously she didn't know he'd be killed, but honestly, she should have suspected how possible it was. His cousins said in the docu that they knew better than to even look a white man in the face. (I can't even imagine! Just thinking it makes my eyes sting.) If he was trouble, I doubt she would have thought they'd be able to straighten him out in MS. It does make the thing she said about feeling like she'd never see him again stranger.

I didn't catch that Teggerz thought he deserved it. Just that there's more to the story. I certainly agree that he needed a whoopin but never never the beating he got or death. I think his mama might have needed a shaking for sending him down there. To me, that's like sending a baby to play in the street. Or putting a toddler in the tiger cage at feeding time. Perents don't always show much sense though.

I looked him up yesterday, because I think Mamma posted a comment about it in another thread about the grossest dead pic of a celeb.

I got serious chills when I saw that, and I had and I still have tears in my eyes when I see or think about it.

Such a beautiful boy turned to...that!

I hope those fucking bastards are rotting in hell and I hope Satan is plucking their fucking eyeballs out! What they did is unforgiveable.

50,000 people went to Emmett's funeral...what a brave mother he had, and may they both rest in peace.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here one day, Gone one night, Gone too soon...
    Missing you forever...

I'm just reading the FBI report now and none of what they said happened in the store actually happened and they have more than one witness to prove it

As far as his cousin Curtis Jones is concerned

This is one the cases that I always tell people to read about when they talk about how they are glad that this world isn't racist anymore. It's very easy for people to think that if they don't ever experience it themselves.

Seagorath Guest
    They need to go ahead and make a feature film about this. It wouldn't ignite any flames...

I would looooooove to punch that bitch Carolyn Bryant.
    For man also knoweth not his time: as the fishes that are taken in an evil net, and as the birds that are caught in the snare; so are the sons of men snared in an evil time, when it falleth suddenly upon them.

What's so good about goodbye, when the best was yet to come?

lisalouver Guest
    Anyone know what happened to Carolyn Bryant?

Is she deceased?

ETA:

Did a little digging. She married three more times, and here is a recent pic of her (2004) at age 70 along with her address to her house and a pic LMAO! From a segment on 60 minutes.

http://www.emmetttillmurder.com/CBryant%20Today.htm

Also check this link out

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/feb...tion/na-till28

And in 2007, a grand jury declined to indict Carolyn, then 73 for her part in the crime. Although I can see why (everyone is dead and evidence is weak) it would have been nice to see that old bitty in court.
    Last edited by lisalouver; 07-15-2012 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Add links and info

Nelliebean Guest
    Feel free to mail Carolyn a love letter! 1425 E. Rebecca Drive Greenville Mississippi 38701.

Do let us know if she writes you back.

Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    His cousins said in the docu that they knew better than to even look a white man in the face. (I can't even imagine! Just thinking it makes my eyes sting.) If he was trouble, I doubt she would have thought they'd be able to straighten him out in MS. It does make the thing she said about feeling like she'd never see him again stranger.
    That's true.

I remember as a kid (mainly the older Black men) would always bow their heads and look at the ground or at their feet when they spoke to you. They would never look you in the eye; they knew that with some white folks at that time; that was an invitation for trouble.

Sad and disturbing; but quite true.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Interview with Emmett Till's cousin (who was an eyewitness)

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Ma...cord-straight/

Interesting article. Suggests Emmett whistled at the woman because he thought it would be funny. Also that he begged the kids he was with not to mention the incident to any adults, because he was having fun in Mississippi, and was afraid he would be sent back to Chicago. (Which obviously would have saved his life.)

Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Ma...cord-straight/

Interesting article. Suggests Emmett whistled at the woman because he thought it would be funny. Also that he begged the kids he was with not to mention the incident to any adults, because he was having fun in Mississippi, and was afraid he would be sent back to Chicago. (Which obviously would have saved his life.)
    OK, I am totally missing that part of the article. I only see that they said they kept their promise to not tell Simeon's father, not how they came to that promise. Am I just not seeing the part of him begging the kids not to tell because he was having fun?

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    OK, I am totally missing that part of the article. I only see that they said they kept their promise to not tell Simeon's father, not how they came to that promise. Am I just not seeing the part of him begging the kids not to tell because he was having fun?
    Sorry. I was reading a lot of Till articles the other night, and I must have mixed them up. I'll see if I can find the other source.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    Feel free to mail Carolyn a love letter! 1425 E. Rebecca Drive Greenville Mississippi 38701.

Do let us know if she writes you back.

Carlos Danger Guest
    On my way to Memphis last week I drove through Money, Mississippi to look at the sights. Money is a short way away from where Robert Johnson is buried and from the Tallahatchie Bridge that Billy Joe McAllister jumped off from. After looking around I came home and did some research of the Emmit Till case.

The manager and three laborers at Burr Oak Cemetery in Chicago where Till is buried were charged with digging up bodies, dumping them and reselling the plots. Investigators found Till's original glass-topped casket rusting in a dilapidated storage shed. There were plans for an Emmett Till museum, where his original casket would be installed but one of the leaders of the effort stole the money was collected for it. Cemetery officials also neglected the casket, which was discolored, the interior fabric torn, and bore evidence that animals had been living in it, although its glass top was still intact.

lisalouver Guest
    Juanita Milam - widow of one of the killers of Emmet Till died at 86 in Feb.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...milam/5873235/

Interesting article. Even Juanita said old Carolyn made it up.

I better get to writing that letter to Carolyn - I am sure she is next in the dead pool.

Screen grabs from "The Untold Story of Emmett Louis Till". A bit more clearer than that one photo that we've all seen and shows a different angle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E_Till_02.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	808.4 KB 
ID:	50701Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E_Till_01.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	50702

Wendy A. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Screen grabs from "The Untold Story of Emmett Louis Till". A bit more clearer than that one photo that we've all seen and shows a different angle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E_Till_02.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	808.4 KB 
ID:	50701Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E_Till_01.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	50702
    He doesn't even look like a real person! Here's a before pic for comparison, this story sickens me and makes me ashamed to be white.

I do not understand the hate behind an act like that, especially against a child, and I do not want to understand.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Never be ashamed of who you are. You had nothing to do with this crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy A. View Post
    He doesn't even look like a real person! Here's a before pic for comparison, this story sickens me and makes me ashamed to be white.
    Yes it's very enraging, if you haven't seen the documentary "the untold story of Emmet Louis Till" definitely watch it (it's on youtube). It really brings home how backwards things were in the south during that time and especially in Mississippi. There is even insinuation that the same two men that killed Emmet went to the grandfathers home (after they were just found not guilty) looking for the grandfather because he pointed them out as Emmet's killers. The grandfather wasn't home at the time but he moved to Chicago the next day after hearing about that. Also, the court knew it was going to be a not guilty verdict from the start, but they waited an hour before delivering it just to make it look good. So in that time the all white jury were in the back having beer's and soda while figuring out the best way of saying "not guilty".

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I do not understand the hate behind an act like that, especially against a child, and I do not want to understand.
    They were trying to prove a point since Emmett was from Chicago and didn't say sir or ma'am after addressing white people. Obviously the fact he whistled at Bryant's wife was most likely the real reason they beat the crap out of him. From what his cousin's have said, he really did whistle at the woman and he was doing it to be funny not realizing in Mississippi you can't do that. When he saw his cousins reaction to him whistling it sank in what he just did and he suddenly looked frightened. Just a kid being a kid, but it took that act to get us where we are today and Emmett is said to be the catalyst for the civil rights movement gaining such momentum and of course that was only due to his mother opting for an open casket without having the funeral director touching him up at all.
    Last edited by Jason; 05-20-2014 at 11:20 AM.

Yes it's very enraging, if you haven't seen the documentary "the untold story of Emmet Louis Till" definitely watch it (it's on youtube). It really brings home how backwards things were in the south during that time and especially in Mississippi. There is even insinuation that the same two men that killed Emmet went to the grandfathers home (after they were just found not guilty) looking for the grandfather because he pointed them out as Emmet's killers. The grandfather wasn't home at the time but he moved to Chicago the next day after hearing about that. Also, the court knew it was going to be a not guilty verdict from the start, but they waited an hour before delivering it just to make it look good. So in that time the all white jury were in the back having beer's and soda while figuring out the best way of saying "not guilty".

They were trying to prove a point since Emmett was from Chicago and didn't say sir or ma'am after addressing white people. Obviously the fact he whistled at Bryant's wife was most likely the real reason they beat the crap out of him. From what his cousin's have said, he really did whistle at the woman and he was doing it to be funny not realizing in Mississippi you can't do that. When he saw his cousins reaction to him whistling it sank in what he just did and he suddenly looked frightened. Just a kid being a kid, but it took that act to get us where we are today and Emmett is said to be the catalyst for the civil rights movement gaining such momentum and of course that was only due to his mother opting for an open casket without having the funeral director touching him up at all.
    I'm talking about the reason, but the extreme rage.
    Last edited by cindyt; 05-20-2014 at 11:32 AM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I mean the evil behind the motivation, the force. I mean, I don't like the way the police treated me when my husband was arrested but I sure didn't hunt that lady cop down and beat her to a pulp.
    I know, the best I can try and understand it is that they just had this backward sense of entitlement and viewed minority's as dogs or subhuman. It was just about power and keeping blacks in their place, making sure they never developed the strength or conviction to fight/talk back. It's not like it ever really went away either, I remember when Obama was sworn I overheard my idiot cousin making a comment "you think white people are going to be the minority now and black people are going to take over?" she was dead serious and that was 2009!! but it's that entitled mentality and always wanting to stay on top. I think those murderers were trying to send that message to all those from other states thinking about visiting Mississippi of "don't think you're gonna come to our territory and act like this boy did, you better know your place".

I know, the best I can try and understand it is that they just had this backward sense of entitlement and viewed minority's as dogs or subhuman. It was just about power and keeping blacks in their place, making sure they never developed the strength or conviction to fight/talk back. It's not like it ever really went away either, I remember when Obama was sworn I overheard my idiot cousin making a comment "you think white people are going to be the minority now and black people are going to take over?" she was dead serious and that was 2009!! but it's that entitled mentality and always wanting to stay on top. I think those murderers were trying to send that message to all those from other states thinking about visiting Mississippi of "don't think you're gonna come to our territory and act like this boy did, you better know your place".
    Yeah, there are people down here who do not like Obama because Obama is black.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by RiotBoots View Post
    Never be ashamed of who you are. You had nothing to do with this crime.
    No, I had nothing to do with this crime but it still makes me ashamed that those with my skin color did this because Emmett was black. If he had been white...no big deal. They felt no remorse for their crime. He was a child. And the above photos....I just have no words.

People with your skin color and every other skin color have done despicable things throughout history. I'm not a fan of white guilt myself, but whatever works for whoever I guess.

lovemymonkey Guest
    Have you guys heard the lil wayne song with the disgusting line "beat that pu$$* like Emmit Till?

The woman who caused Till's death admits to lying. Carolyn Bryant Donham is still alive at age 82 and about 60 years too late.

http://www.theroot.com/woman-who-cau...ing-1791698393

Did he really whistle at her, or was it she maybe looked at him and he at her and she gave him a smile or he smiled at her, and the husband got pissed maybe thinking, as they said back in the day, N**** lover, to his wife and probably beat her, and she got scared and told her husband all those things that she made up and when they went to confront Emmett and killed him, the two men came back and told her what to say to the court and such? I don't know am just guessing and my feeling of what may have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    Did he really whistle at her, or was it she maybe looked at him and he at her and she gave him a smile or he smiled at her, and the husband got pissed maybe thinking, as they said back in the day, N**** lover, to his wife and probably beat her, and she got scared and told her husband all those things that she made up and when they went to confront Emmett and killed him, the two men came back and told her what to say to the court and such? I don't know am just guessing and my feeling of what may have happened.
    I would charge her with perjury at a minimum and maybe accessory to murder. I don't care how old she is - its like the old Nazis.
    Last edited by cash; 01-28-2017 at 07:47 PM.

HelloMudder Guest
    Amen! She lived this long. Let her rot the rest of her days in a prison cell. Her lie, is the reason Emmitt is dead.

Oh I agree I would lock her up as well, her lying is what got him killed.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...mmett_Till.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    Did he really whistle at her. . . .
    I saw a documentary on the Till case, and as I recall, some of his friends indicated that he did indeed whistle. As I understand it, that's not the part that she is recanting. If I read the article correctly, she doesn't remember the whistle one way or the other.

This documentary also included this powerful photo, where Till's uncle Moses Wright stands up in the court room and points at Til's murderers.
    Last edited by Slick SKillet Mayhand; 01-30-2017 at 07:49 AM.

Seeing the pictures from a distance was chilling enough but to see them in such close detail makes you ill. I remember when I first saw them, my mum was looking over my shoulder and refused to believe it was a human until I enlarged them making her wish she hadn't seen them.

And she admits to lying.....a bit late. She really does not seem remorseful for her actions. How in the heck does she live with this. Shaking head.

Quote Originally Posted by Leasie View Post
    And she admits to lying.....a bit late. She really does not seem remorseful for her actions. How in the heck does she live with this. Shaking head.
    She did what they all do. Wait until they are nearly in the ground thinking they will get away with whatever they have done but in reality it shows them for the cowards they are.

I'm not sure what would come out that we don't already know if they reopen the case. Can't charge Donham with perjury, statue of limitations ran out decades ago. Accessory to murder? Dunno... I'm sure with her being pretty far along in age, she could pull the dementia act, just curious what everyone thinks?
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

Quote Originally Posted by Dangitbawb View Post
    I'm not sure what would come out that we don't already know if they reopen the case. Can't charge Donham with perjury, statue of limitations ran out decades ago. Accessory to murder? Dunno... I'm sure with her being pretty far along in age, she could pull the dementia act, just curious what everyone thinks?
    must be some federal civil rights violation they can get her on.
    Last edited by cash; 02-09-2017 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    must be some federal civil rights violation they can get her on.
    One would think... but again, at her age and any lawyer worth their salt, I don't see anything good coming of it. We all know this young man was innocent, but is it worth the cost if she more than likely won't be prosecuted?
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

the case has been reopened. Nothing will become of this

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/12/u...stigation.html