Thread: John Farrow

radiojane Guest

John Farrow

(1904-1963)

Australian-born film director John Villiers Farrow began writing plays in the mid-1920s while he was a sailor; the most famous of these, A Registered Woman, was filmed in 1931 as A Woman of Experience. He later traversed the globe as a Marine researcher, spending several years in Tahiti, where he wrote a French-English Tahitian dictionary that served as a "standard" for decades. Hired by Hollywood to act as technical adviser for seafaring and naval films, Farrow turned to screenwriting in 1927. Extremely busy in this capacity in the 1930s, he managed to turn out two novels, The Laughter Ends (1934) and Damien the Leper (1937). While working on the screenplay of MGM's Tarzan Escapes, Farrow married the film's leading lady Maureen O'Sullivan. He was given his first opportunity to direct with the MGM Technicolor 2-reeler The Magic Spectacles (1936), stepping up to features in 1937. Though confined to "B" pictures at Warner Bros. and RKO, he garnered critical adulation for his innovative direction of such low-budgeters as The Saint Strikes Back (1939) and Five Came Back (1939).

When World War II broke out, Farrow volunteered to serve based upon his seafaring knowledge. He was appointed an acting lieutenant for the Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve, and served from 1940-1942. Upon returning to Hollywood in 1942, Farrow was immediately promoted to "A" productions at Paramount, winning an Academy Award nomination for his direction of Wake Island (1942). Converting to Catholicism, Farrow became one the most visible and fervent proponents of that faith, publishing several articles and books on the subject, including a biography of Thomas More and the 1947 tome Pageant of the Popes. During the postwar era, Farrow turned out some of his finest directorial efforts, including the stylish noir exercise The Big Clock (1948), the grim fantasy Alias Nick Beal (1949), the lampoonish adventure yarn His Kind of Woman (1951) and the excellent John Wayne western Hondo (released in 3-D in 1953). Though his screenwriting activities were largely confined to his own films in the postwar era, Farrow shared an Oscar with S. J. Perelman for the script of the mammoth Mike Todd production Around the World in 80 Days (1956) (curiously, Farrow is not mentioned in the film's souvenir program, which finds space to list every member of the cast, right down to the extra). John Farrow was the father of seven children, two of whom--Mia and Tisa Farrow--have enjoyed substantial acting careers.

MoonRabbit Guest
    I don't think I had ever seen a photo of him before.
    I see Mia Farrow in him.

great thread...didn't know a thing about him..thx
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

This is sad but years later in life about movies Groucho Marx
    said that when they were filming the movie:A Day at the Races.
    Maureen O'Sullivan came to work with black eyes because her
    husband John Farrow used to get drunk and beat her up.

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    Wow never heard that before.
    Never know what a drunk will do.

Avalon Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    Wha?? I've never heard that before!

I read Mia's biography and I remember her saying that she was staying in New York with her mother when she was 17. Her father kept calling one night because he thought Maureen was having an affair (she was) and Mia wouldn't answer the phone. The next day he was found dead in bed, with the phone in his hand (he had a heart attack). Obviously, she was distraught about it. All I remember is her saying nice things about her dad and mother... but it's been a while since I've read it. LOL

Guest Guest
    'The Big Clock' is a brilliant old classic. Watched it many a time

Giada Guest
    Was unaware he co-wrote the script for Around the World in 80 days, somehow overlooked in the credits.