Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lance Armstrong

STsFirstmate Guest

Lance Armstrong

Lance Armstrong had a cycling accident about an hour ago in Spain. he was take to the hospital in an ambulance and was awake and pointing to his collarbone.
    It was a sunny day with good road conditions and the cause for the accident was not known.
    This was just posted on CNN but a colleague actually texted me from Spain. He had heard it on the news there. They actually broke in on TV to tell people.
    Regards,
    Mary

Good Lord, I hope they checked his head!

STsFirstmate Guest
    Yeah my first thought as well given last weeks events but I am sure he had on a helmet and likely a special super duper helmet.
    It just goes to show that the old motorcycle adage fits here too. There are old riders and bold riders but there are no old, bold riders!
    Regards,
    Mary

MorbidMolly Guest
    He needs to retire....I hate it when a superb athlete doesn`t know when to quit

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Yup, it's time to retire the ole bike.

guardmom2008 Guest
    I agree, it's time to retire, I hope he will be okay even if it is just his collarbone.

Quote Originally Posted by jlm709 View Post
    Good Lord, I hope they checked his head!
    You got that right! Hopefully everyone will be much more careful after last week's tragedy. (Bless poor Natasha, Liam and family, the comments here have been so kind.)

Perhaps its time for Lance to retire from racing. He's doing great work with his cancer organization, but I worry he keeps getting out there to race in order to promote it and help raise funds.

My, the last week has been so full of tragedies (just finished reading of poor Jane Goody- didn't know her, but tragic nonetheless) We could use some good news for a change!

Curl_up_N_dye Guest
    I agree .... better to go out while youre on top.

GrinReaper Guest
    He'll be fine.
    Unlike the millions of us, Lance has insurance or he can afford to pay it.

With a name like "Armstrong" along with the reputation, I wonder how bad his ego is really hurtin.

GrinReaper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Curl_up_N_dye View Post
    I agree .... better to go out while youre on top.
    Ya mean from sports or during sex or both?

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinReaper View Post
    Ya mean from sports or during sex or both?
    I know he does great work raising money for charities and he beat the odds with his cancer but I just find him so unlikeable. He just really sets my spidey sense tingling in a negative way and I can't blame it on anything specific he has ever said or done.
    Regards,
    Mary
    Is this like insulting the Statue of Liberty???? Gosh I hope not!

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    I know he does great work raising money for charities and he beat the odds with his cancer but I just find him so unlikeable. He just really sets my spidey sense tingling in a negative way and I can't blame it on anything specific he has ever said or done.
    Regards,
    Mary
    You aren`t the only one....he creeps me out...and I have no idea why either.....and I`m serious

Somewhere twixt San Antonio & Corpus Christi
    Regards,
    Mary
    As a Texan (like Lance) I suppose I could get royally castigated for this but, I agree Firstmate, something about him just doesn't jive for me. If I were totally truthful, he has never (for me at least) made a convincing denial of the doping allegations that have plagued him throughout his cycling career. You know the old where there's smoke... Don't wish him ill mind you, just wished he'd fade away.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

American Progress

John Connor Guest
    As a lifetime cyclist and roadie at that I always loved Lance Armstrong despite his hissy fits, showboating and general biliousness. Having raced bikes I see this in many cyclists. It's a highly insecure sport but the glory is singular. YOU WIN!!! It attracts a certain breed. That being said I will never believe he is clean. Just seeing his body when he was having the bromance with Matthew McCouhnahey spoke volumes. He was also bulked up and unlike the skinny Lance of days of yore. I could go on and on. He's a sham and a shame. I don't care about him anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by beatlebaby4 View Post
    Yup, it's time to retire the ole bike.
    Sing it with me...."Don't go away mad........Just go away!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Just seeing his body when he was having the bromance with Matthew McCouhnahey spoke volumes.
    Sorry I don't understand the lingo but by bromance you mean buddies right?? If you don't mean buddies then I had totally never heard that one.

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tamiele View Post
    Sorry I don't understand the lingo but by bromance you mean buddies right?? If you don't mean buddies then I had totally never heard that one.

Whatever it was...

I read that the collarbone is broken. He went down at the back in the pelleton which suggests to me a couple of things:

1. He is not fit enough.
    2. His team were not protecting him.
    3. He does not have a good team.

Jan Ullrich was a fantastic rider in the mountains and he had thighs like tree trunks. He eventually got busted for performance enhancers and to see Lance Armstrong blowing him away in the mountains just makes me believe he was on something. I think the French have never cleared him even after multiple tests.

Having said that, to win seven Tour de France races is a fantastic effort. 14 days on the road with varying road, terrain and weather conditions would be pure hell. It takes a special person, drugs or not.

He is a pretty intense fella and I think that contributes to his lack of charisma.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Chunga Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    I read that the collarbone is broken. He went down at the back in the pelleton which suggests to me a couple of things:

1. He is not fit enough.

Jan Ullrich was a fantastic rider in the mountains and he had thighs like tree trunks. He eventually got busted for performance enhancers and to see Lance Armstrong blowing him away in the mountains just makes me believe he was on something. I think the French have never cleared him even after multiple tests.

Having said that, to win seven Tour de France races is a fantastic effort. 14 days on the road with varying road, terrain and weather conditions would be pure hell. It takes a special person, drugs or not.

He is a pretty intense fella and I think that contributes to his lack of charisma.
    Agreed! It's nice to see people that understand cycling. I'm a big fan of Lance. I get a little over 4000 miles a year. What these guys do in a week is amazing.

sunshine74137 Guest
    I don't like him, I saw an episode of intervention where a guy poked fun at him on the first day of training and Lance had him kicked out on his ear he got himself a big ol drug problem over it, way to go Lance

Quote Originally Posted by Demgirl View Post
    You got that right! Hopefully everyone will be much more careful after last week's tragedy. (Bless poor Natasha, Liam and family, the comments here have been so kind.)

Perhaps its time for Lance to retire from racing. He's doing great work with his cancer organization, but I worry he keeps getting out there to race in order to promote it and help raise funds.

My, the last week has been so full of tragedies (just finished reading of poor Jane Goody- didn't know her, but tragic nonetheless) We could use some good news for a change!
    It's Jade Goody not Jane, her story is sad. I hope Lance will be fine

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post

1. He is not fit enough.
    4. His teammates hate him and stuck a pump in his spokes. (my add)

Chunga Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine74137 View Post
    I don't like him, I saw an episode of intervention where a guy poked fun at him on the first day of training and Lance had him kicked out on his ear he got himself a big ol drug problem over it, way to go Lance
    Hmm. maybe that is why he was kicked out on his ear. Obviously a weak link. Way to blame Lance for his problems. And by the way, this kid never blamed Lance for his drug addiction. He admitted that he was acting like a tool and wasn't a team player. He thought at 19 years of age he was better than Lance was.

Well SPAIN is as good a place as any in which to become injured.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Shano Guest
    I have never really liked him. I always got a bad feeling about his "Look at me! I survived cancer! I have one ball!" lol

But seriously, his wife stayed by his side the whole time he was sick, then he up and leaves her when he becomes "famous" and hooks up with Cheryl Crowe behind his wife's back. Then Cheryl wants to get all serious with him and he books on her too only to be seen last year suckin face with an Olsen twin that is like 20 years younger then he is. He reminds me of a guy that when he is in his 50's will still think he is hot and be going to clubs and stuff.

Creepy.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shano View Post
    I have never really liked him. I always got a bad feeling about his "Look at me! I survived cancer! I have one ball!" lol

But seriously, his wife stayed by his side the whole time he was sick, then he up and leaves her when he becomes "famous" and hooks up with Cheryl Crowe behind his wife's back. Then Cheryl wants to get all serious with him and he books on her too only to be seen last year suckin face with an Olsen twin that is like 20 years younger then he is. He reminds me of a guy that when he is in his 50's will still think he is hot and be going to clubs and stuff.

Creepy.
    AN OLSEN TWIN!!!! Oh my God! That reenforces the creepiness for me! I am not a cycling fan but I picture it like the rpofessional marathin runners where you have pace setters and blockers on your team all intent on having you win. As I said I don't understand cycling so I could be way off. He certainly was quite the Iron man for years. That can't be denied but dumping Cherl Crowe for an Olsen twin OMG!
    Regards,
    Mary

Jack'sGirl Guest

Creepy.
    My thoughts exactly.

I will say one thing: as far as his cancer goes, there is no way he should still be here. With the way his cancer had spread, he should be gone by now. That part is truly amazing, I'll give him that.

But I'm seriously over him. And I think this last career revival is just a pathetic attempt to stay on top. It's time to retire, Lance, and save some face.

I also agree about the performance drugs. I think he was at least doing the EPO, if nothing else.

Nerak Guest
    Not a fan of Lances, at all, but I hope he is ok

Chevyheaven Guest
    What a horrible way to go. Im just in pieces over here guys. I just dont understand why God has to take such good people. I guess that i can rest easy in knowing that he is in a better place. At least he got to walk on the moon. How many of us can say that. RIP Mr Armstrong.

Jack'sGirl Guest
    Hey Chevy, pass that bong my way, will you? I want some of whatever you're smokin'!

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack'sGirl View Post
    Hey Chevy, pass that bong my way, will you? I want some of whatever you're smokin'!
    Yeah make mine a double!
    regards,
    Mary

Jack'sGirl Guest
    Yeah make mine a double!
    regards,
    Mary
    Let's get this party started right!

Chevyheaven Guest
    OH geez.. another mess up. Im sorry guys, I get his thread mixed up the Neil Patrick Harris thread, you know that guy that landed on the moon?? Oh well I hope the guy feels better. Im glad My armstrong is not dead yet

Jack'sGirl Guest
    Maybe I should pass the bong to you?

Chevyheaven Guest
    Or maybe it was Buzz. Yes thats it Buzz armstrong landed on the moon in 1987 Dont tell me I dont know my history.

Jack'sGirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyheaven View Post
    Or maybe it was Buzz. Yes thats it Buzz armstrong landed on the moon in 1987 Dont tell me I dont know my history.
    Dang. I thought it was Buzz Lightyear!

John Connor Guest

Creepy.

I don't see this as creepy.
    His marriage didn't work out. Lots don't. His ex-wife seems more like she should be a nun. He had to build her a chapel. Maybe they just drifted.
    Sheryl Crowe wanted him to marry her and have children. He didn't want more children. Seems reasonable.
    I am 36. I suck face with 20 year olds quite often. So?
    At what age are you banned from nightclubs?
    Last edited by John Connor; 03-26-2009 at 10:56 PM.

The french have taken a hair sample from him to be tested for drugs, he didn't need to allow it but did it anyway. I'd like to see him win this years tour de france.

Shano Guest
    I don't see this as creepy.
    His marriage didn't work out. Lots don't. His ex-wife seems more like she should be a nun. He had to build her a chapel. Maybe they just drifted.
    Sheryl Crowe wanted him to marry her and have children. He didn't want more children. Seems reasonable.
    I am 36. I suck face with 20 year olds quite often. So?
    At what age are you banned from nightclubs?
    When you become a joke.
    Last edited by Shano; 03-27-2009 at 02:08 PM.

John Connor Guest
    When you become a joke.

Chevyheaven Guest
    Hey take my picture down. Thats not fair. I am really much skinnier these days.

Jack'sGirl Guest

OMG!

*snort*

Lance Armstrong had a cycling accident about an hour ago in Spain. he was take to the hospital in an ambulance and was awake and pointing to his collarbone.
    It was a sunny day with good road conditions and the cause for the accident was not known.
    This was just posted on CNN but a colleague actually texted me from Spain. He had heard it on the news there. They actually broke in on TV to tell people.
    Regards,
    Mary
    I think what Matt Lauer (The Today Show) did was more "interesting"
    of a bicycle accident hitting a deer and then flipped over the
    handlebars and suffered a separated shoulder.
    (sorry not sure what happened to the deer)

Chunga Guest
    Lance Armstrong's girlfriend gave birth to a boy. Named him Max. Not bad for a guy who battled and seemingly beat testicular cancer and has one ball! It has been reported that the child was conceived naturally. Max. The same as the effort he puts into everything he does.

Landis admits doping, accuses Lance

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Take their bicycles away from them for a month and ground them. That will teach those young whippersnappers!
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Take their bicycles away from them for a month and ground them. That will teach those young whippersnappers!
    Woooooo, spooky avi.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Sounds like sour grapes to me.

STsFirstmate Guest
    This was all common knowledge before even though it was denied!
    One of the reasons Lance was so disliked by competitors from other countrys.
    I never liked this guy and I never trusted Armstrong.
    Regards,
    Mary

This was all common knowledge before even though it was denied!
    One of the reasons Lance was so disliked by competitors from other countrys.
    I never liked this guy and I never trusted Armstrong.
    Regards,
    Mary
    There is a lot of smoke with Lance but nobody can pinpoint the fire. The French Authorities are convinced he is doping and they pursue him mercilessly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]