Thread: Sal Mineo

Carolann Guest

Sal Mineo

Sal's death was indeed tragic. He did more tv work than film but the few films he did were great. Rebel Without a Cause will undoubtedly be the one movie he will be remembered for.

He was also in Giant.... tragic death. Wonder if he was still alive would we know him from james dean tributes??

a sad death indeed. he's another one of my favorite actors. anyone seen "Who Killed Teddy Bear?"?? i believe it's a lost gem, i have a bootleg dvd of it. i love it so much. though i'm probably one of two people that does. such campy good fun. also, very risque for the time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity. ~Edvard Munch

Lisamarie Guest
    Poor Sal...they never found who killed hin did they??? That was tragic...what a beautiful boy!

ibestevie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    Poor Sal...they never found who killed hin did they??? That was tragic...what a beautiful boy!

Yes they did. Lionel Ray Williams. Read the Sal Mineo story on FAD.

juleebella Guest
    James Dean was in Giant, but I don't think Sal Mineo was. He was also good in The Gene Krupa Story. If you go to YouTube and do a search on his name you can find a clip of him dancing with Juliette Prouse in 'Teddybear, and also him performing on I believe it was Shindig (sp?)

RoRo Guest
    Not sure where I read it but I remember reading that Don Johnson was arumored lover of Sal...he apparently stayed with Sal when he first came to Hollywood....anyone else ever read this?

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    Not sure where I read it but I remember reading that Don Johnson was arumored lover of Sal...he apparently stayed with Sal when he first came to Hollywood....anyone else ever read this?
    No, but....EEEWWWW. And not because Sal was older, but because Don Johnson. As a woman I am totally turned off of to the idea he *did* ANYONE.

Poor Sal. All he wanted was a piece of Jimmy anyhow.

Kirsten01 Guest
    You know something i watched rebel without a cause and watched the way sal
    licks his lips over dean. I thought is this guy gay or what ??

Quote Originally Posted by juleebella View Post
    James Dean was in Giant, [SIZE=4]but I don't think Sal Mineo was[/SIZE]. He was also good in The Gene Krupa Story. If you go to YouTube and do a search on his name you can find a clip of him dancing with Juliette Prouse in 'Teddybear, and also him performing on I believe it was Shindig (sp?)

Sure he was (in [SIZE=4]GIANT[/SIZE]); SAL MINEO played the grown up
    ANGEL OBREGON who goes off to fight in WWII and comes back in a coffin. Preparing to go to the funeral, the ELIZABETH TAYLOR character of 'Leslie Benedict' talks about how she remembers it as only yesterday that he was a small baby etcetera . . . .

ECooper Guest
    Teddy Bear is fabulous and very 60's. I beleive it was one of several projects that he really wanted to work and it didn't happen for him.

VegasVic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hrhdiesel View Post
    He was also in Giant.... tragic death. Wonder if he was still alive would we know him from james dean tributes??
    Not if James Dean lived too. Of course if James Dean lived, and Sal still died, maybe we'd know James Dean from Sal Mineo tributes.

Naturally, if I were dead, I wouldn't know either of them from anywhere.

DelightfulDeathHag Guest
    Rebel is one of my favorite movies! Sal was so great as the tragic kid,I felt so sorry for his character.

LupeVelez Guest
    I heard Sal was stabbed to death in the parking lot of his apartment building by a homosexual hustler.

VegasVic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeVelez View Post
    I heard Sal was stabbed to death in the parking lot of his apartment building by a homosexual hustler.
    I heard you haven't yet viewed Sal's FindADeath page for the real story...

Henry Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by juleebella View Post
    James Dean was in Giant, but I don't think Sal Mineo was. He was also good in The Gene Krupa Story. If you go to YouTube and do a search on his name you can find a clip of him dancing with Juliette Prouse in 'Teddybear, and also him performing on I believe it was Shindig (sp?)
    Sal played the soldier of the employee of Rock Hudson and Elizabeth Taylor's charachter. He went off to war, and died, in the movie.

Henry Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeVelez View Post
    He was robbed indiscriminately.

Nicki Guest
    For a interesting glimpse into the life at the life of Sal Mineo read "Timmy's in the Well" by Jon Provost. Remember Timmy on Lassie. As a very young adult he became close friends with Sal who was"Bi" but closer to Gay. Its quite interesting when Sal attempts to get intimate with Jon. The friendshp pretty much ended. There are a few other sneak peaks at other lives in that book also, but the Sal Mineo/ Jon Provost friendship is bizare....who would have ever thought those two would have been friends. Also it does talk about his death.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    I sure never heard of this before. But they said that any of the male stars that shared a apt or house together. I think it is pretty mucu bs

Nicki Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    I sure never heard of this before. But they said that any of the male stars that shared a apt or house together. I think it is pretty mucu bs
    Don Johnson and Sal did a play toether call Fortune And Men's Eyes. In the opening scene Sal's character rapes Don's. In the book I mentioned above it said that Sal tried desparately to get Don Johnson in bed with him but Don would have no part of that. He was Straight and very much involved with his girlfriend Christine at that time

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    For a interesting glimpse into the life at the life of Sal Mineo read "Timmy's in the Well" by Jon Provost. Remember Timmy on Lassie. As a very young adult he became close friends with Sal who was"Bi" but closer to Gay. Its quite interesting when Sal attempts to get intimate with Jon. The friendshp pretty much ended. There are a few other sneak peaks at other lives in that book also, but the Sal Mineo/ Jon Provost friendship is bizare....who would have ever thought those two would have been friends. Also it does talk about his death.

I need to get that..sounds good
    thanks

Sampiro Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    Don Johnson and Sal did a play toether call Fortune And Men's Eyes. In the opening scene Sal's character rapes Don's.
    The play was among the first to feature full male nudity onstage. There are some b/w pics of the production here. I think [USE DISCRETION IN OPENING IF NOT IN PRIVATE] this is the one Mineo used for his Christmas Card.

Sampiro Guest
    Trivia: Mineo's first major role on stage was as Prince Chulalongkorn (Yul Brynner's oldest son and heir) in The King & I. As with so many child stars, his parents spent most of the money he earned as a teenager, and that was the highest paid period of his career.

DOA Guest
    For some reason I picture him being dead at the age he was in Rebel. You know, really young. But I saw him on a re-run of Columbo a few years ago and he was barely recognizable simply because he was an adult by then.

I wouldn't have even know it was him but I saw his name in the opening credits, so I was looking for him. He played an Arab or something like that.

I'm pretty sure in that episode he was... well... murdered.

Nicki Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sampiro View Post
    The play was among the first to feature full male nudity onstage. There are some b/w pics of the production here. I think [USE DISCRETION IN OPENING IF NOT IN PRIVATE] this is the one Mineo used for his Christmas Card.
    Wow.....love the pictures. Sal had some great arms in the one pose with Don. Sal Mineo was very much a favorite....so sad that he died the way he did. Don must have been just getting started in his career. Nice way to start your career! Never seen that Website before. Thanks Sampiro!
    Last edited by Nicki; 06-23-2008 at 12:01 AM.

Gorey Guest
    Sal was also in Exodus too. I think he had gotten an Academy nod for it. He did not age at all and from pics I've seen of him in his 30's he didn't look much different from Rebel. James and Sal were the shit back then. Rebel is a multiple Death movie. Nick Adams, overdose, Sal, murdered; Natalie, drowned; James in the car,. Ironically Nick ,Sal and James were in Giant together in a way. After the accident which james was killed, the producers discovered that he did his ending lines of Giant too slurred and you couldn't understand him, Nick was hired to dub over James in his drunk scene at the movies end.

Timeless

"Rebel without a cause"--classic film making in the first degree. A great actor that should have had a better career in Hollywood.

Nelliebean Guest

Nelliebean Guest

Nelliebean Guest

Dang! He was pretty!

He looks like a cupcake.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Nelliebean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    He looks like a cupcake.
    Yup and you can't eat too many cupcakes.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten01 View Post
    You know something i watched rebel without a cause and watched the way sal
    licks his lips over dean. I thought is this guy gay or what ??
    The cahrater he plays is supposed to be sexually conflicted and most likely gay but he probably was really licking his lips over Dean. He was a beautiful young man.
    Regards,
    Mary

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    Yup and you can't eat too many cupcakes.
    You said it! Cupcake or not, Sal was hot.

He was also in one of my favorite disaster films, Krakatoa--East of Java.

---
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	krak2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	5.6 KB 
ID:	16190   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3844016551_b44791176f.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	16191   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sal-Mineo-sal-mineo-6554028-400-480.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	16192  

lolomac Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    What beautiful eyes. Thats the first thing I notice when I see someone.

The Lucky One Guest
    He was quite attractive!!!

SusanCarole Guest
    I love Crystal Bernard too.

I always liked him in Rebel Without A Cause. Rest In Peace.

This is one of my favorite pictures of Sal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3349297848_b6077e84a9.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	17119  
    Last edited by Buttercup; 01-17-2010 at 03:37 AM. Reason: typs
    Cindy

Just spent some time reading about this guy. What a cutie. He was one of those men that got better looking with age. I prefered his older version to the one in Rebel. Like a Patrick Dempsey - middle aged hottie. I was sorry to read of how he died. So sad. Scott has a write up on FAD if anyone is interested.

One of my high school teachers was in Cheyenne Autumn with him. My teacher played one of the members of the tribe. He said the director hated Sal Mineo and it got worst when Sal Mineo forgot to take his watch off before one of the scenes. They had to shoot it again but you can see the pale area around his wrist where he wore his watch. My teacher brought the film in and showed it to us and it is easy to spot.

heat123 Guest
    Just seen him in Hawaii Five 0 the original, I thought I recognised him.

I am just watching the Gene Krupa Story right now. He was a beautiful man!
    Regards,
    Tamie
    When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

Trocar13 Guest
    He was such a good looking guy. I can see how everyone fell in love with him. RIP Sal.

deathhaggirl Guest
    Has anybody heard about this movie called "SAL". http://www.vulture.com/2013/09/watch...ancos-sal.html James Franco directed it.
    It's based around his later life and death.
    It looks interesting. Hasn't recieved good reviews from some people thou.
    The actor playing Sal, looks abit old to play him.

Quote Originally Posted by deathhaggirl View Post
    Has anybody heard about this movie called "SAL". http://www.vulture.com/2013/09/watch...ancos-sal.html James Franco directed it.
    It's based around his later life and death.
    It looks interesting. Hasn't recieved good reviews from some people thou.
    The actor playing Sal, looks abit old to play him.

I had no idea there was a movie made. The choice of actor seems kind of odd. Maybe I'm too picky, but he doesn't even have brown eyes!

Every time I watch "Shawshank Redemption", I have always thought that actor Gil Bellows (played Tommy) looked a lot like Sal. He would have made a better choice if the movie was made about 20 years ago. Gil might be a little old to play him now.
    Cindy

deathhaggirl Guest
    Sal, had a baby face. He just looked extremely young for his age. Your right, odd choice to play Sal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	af.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	48510
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

RetroFanatic Guest
    What actually peaked my interest in Sal was having read his entry in the FAD directory for the first time back in 2002. He was definitely an intriguing, gorgeous individual, and he seemed precocious even during his teenage years.