Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 of last 2 Titanic survivors dies at 96 - Barbara West Dainton

b57hrle Guest

1 of last 2 Titanic survivors dies at 96 - Barbara West Dainton

Barbara West Dainton, believed to be one of the last two survivors from the sinking of the Titanic in 1912, has died in England at age 96.Dainton died Oct. 16 at a nursing home in Camborne, England, according to Peter Visick, a distant relative. Her funeral was held Monday at Truro Cathedral, Visick said Thursday.

Elizabeth Gladys "Millvina" Dean of Southampton, England, who was 2 months old at the time of the Titanic sinking, is now the disaster's only remaining survivor, according to the Titanic Historical Society.

The last American survivor, Lillian Gertrud Asplund, died in Massachusetts last year at age 99.Dainton, born in Bournemouth in southern England in 1911, was too young to remember the night when the huge liner hit an iceberg and sank in the Atlantic in April 1912, killing 1,500 people, including her father, Edwy Arthur West.
    He waved farewell as the lifeboat carrying Barbara; her mother, Ada; and her sister, Constance, was lowered into the ocean, according to Karen Kamuda of the Titanic Historical Society in Indian Orchard, Mass. His body was never identified.
    The Titanic did not have enough lifeboats for all of 2,200 passengers and crew. Only a small number of those unable to find a place on the boats survived the freezing waters.
    Dainton returned to England after the accident. She married in 1952.
    She avoided publicity associated with the Titanic and even insisted that her funeral take place before any public announcement of her death, Kamuda said.
    "We respected her privacy," Kamuda said. "We're so open with everything and our emotions nowadays, but people at that time, they just didn't talk about it."

interesting. thanks!

different kind of girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by b57hrle View Post
    Barbara West Dainton, believed to be one of the last two survivors from the sinking of the Titanic in 1912, has died in England at age 96.Dainton died Oct. 16 at a nursing home in Camborne, England, according to Peter Visick, a distant relative. Her funeral was held Monday at Truro Cathedral, Visick said Thursday.

Elizabeth Gladys "Millvina" Dean of Southampton, England, who was 2 months old at the time of the Titanic sinking, is now the disaster's only remaining survivor, according to the Titanic Historical Society.

The last American survivor, Lillian Gertrud Asplund, died in Massachusetts last year at age 99.Dainton, born in Bournemouth in southern England in 1911, was too young to remember the night when the huge liner hit an iceberg and sank in the Atlantic in April 1912, killing 1,500 people, including her father, Edwy Arthur West.
    He waved farewell as the lifeboat carrying Barbara; her mother, Ada; and her sister, Constance, was lowered into the ocean, according to Karen Kamuda of the Titanic Historical Society in Indian Orchard, Mass. His body was never identified.
    The Titanic did not have enough lifeboats for all of 2,200 passengers and crew. Only a small number of those unable to find a place on the boats survived the freezing waters.
    Dainton returned to England after the accident. She married in 1952.
    She avoided publicity associated with the Titanic and even insisted that her funeral take place before any public announcement of her death, Kamuda said.
    "We respected her privacy," Kamuda said. "We're so open with everything and our emotions nowadays, but people at that time, they just didn't talk about it."

That's sad, but she lived a long life. I've got an autographed picture from Millvina Dean. Titanic is another thing I've always gone gaga over.

Quote Originally Posted by different kind of girl View Post
    That's sad, but she lived a long life. I've got an autographed picture from Millvina Dean. Titanic is another thing I've always gone gaga over.
    me too! what a tragedy!

I didn't realize there were any Titanic survivors left. Thanks for the story.

SinKittyVixen Guest
    Oh wow! For some reason I didnt think there wer ANY left. Thanks for the info!!
    ~SinKitty

starboard railing near the bow of the Titanic photographed on June 1, 2004, by the ROV Hercules during an expedition returning to the shipwreck of the Titanic.
    ----->click image for larger image<-----
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 12-04-2007 at 04:51 AM.

WendyK Guest
    Thanks for the article I didn't even relise anyone was still alive.But I did figure if their was they would of had to been very young at the time sinking.

TheTitanic sinking was a very tragic event. One more link to the past is gone. The sinking has always resonated with me, I had relatives on the ship. Rest in peace.
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

djdeath-hag Guest
    I'm another Titanic hag....and I appreciate this information. Good find, b57hrle, thank you for sharing!

Kathyf Guest
    Can't believe there is only one more. The Titanic is always interesting.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Great find....Titanic is as fascintaing as it is tragic...

different kind of girl Guest
    There's a Titanic exhibit in Orlando which is pretty neat. They've got a few areas recreated to look like the Titanic, plus a lot of artifacts from the ship. I've got some coal that was onboard. I figured the place wouldn't last that long, but it's still around and does pretty well. One of my friends worked there and became engaged on the staircase replica, sooo rrrromantic....

b57hrle Guest
    You are ALL very welcome for the info... I am also a big Titanic hag, love reading all kinds of info on her and anything associated with her. One of my favorites is about Edith Haisman, she was the oldest survivor left at the time of her death, and the only one left with actual memories of the sinking, she was 15 at the time Titanic went down. She was 100 when she passed in 1997. In 1993 she appeared in public in Southampton to receive a gold watch thought to be her father's from the head of the American company that had salvaged it from the wreckage. She had last seen the watch protruding from the waistcoat pocket of her father, Thomas William Solomon Brown. She waited 81 years to see it again, which is now on display in a museum.

The last 2 survivors were only a couple of months old at the time and have no memories of the event. Now down to one left.... would love to hear or read anything yall have on this...

nytkrew, I'm sorry for your loss but I had never "met" anyone with relatives aboard Titanic. May they all Rest In Peace!

There's a Titanic exhibit in Orlando which is pretty neat. They've got a few areas recreated to look like the Titanic, plus a lot of artifacts from the ship. I've got some coal that was onboard. I figured the place wouldn't last that long, but it's still around and does pretty well. One of my friends worked there and became engaged on the staircase replica, sooo rrrromantic....
    Is it a fixed exhibit or is it the traveling one? We missed the traveling exhibit when it came through San Jose last year and are planning to see it when it comes back again one of these days.

I've seen [SIZE=3]MILLVINA DEAN[/SIZE] on interviews/documentaries about the TITANIC particularly 10 years ago when interest was renewed due to the blockbuster film. She came across as very articulate, knowledgable, likeable. Possibly because she was an infant when the great ship sank and had no actual memories of the event it would appear that it was easier for her to speak about the disaster than it was for other survivors. Many who had survived the disaster would not (speak of the event).

with her mother APRIL 1912

kelt, you are the king of finding great pictures for everything.

WendyK Guest
    I love the picture of her and her mother.

SuckMyKiss Guest
    Not true. Kate Winslett is still alive.

any of you titantic hags post on titantic.titantic.com? or anywhere else?

SarahThirteen Guest
    i saw he exhibit when i was in i think it was 6th grade o something when it was in cleveland. They had the side of the ship with the big tear in it and a wall of names of people who were on the titanic who lived who died... you also got a piece of paper with a name on it before entering and at the end you could find out by lookin at the wall of names if you lived or not... I dont remember who's name I had gotten but I lived..... It was hard to find on the wall so i gave up and opted for using the internet hahaha.

sickRick Guest
    I have been fascinated with the titanic for some time as well. Another good one, and worth the read, is the hindenberg. Maybe not the same grand scale of loss of life, but a wild tragedy, to say the least. It seems that as man progressed with larger than life devices of transportation, a greater hand, so to speak, wanted to put man in their place.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Funny, I've got some of that Titanic coal too! Looks like a lot of us got taken for that $25.00!!! Great exhibit though (I saw it here in San Francisco last year).
    Looks great in my curio cabinet next to that piece of "Sharon's Stone" (stone from Sharon Tate's fireplace) that I just received from Scott!

RoRo Guest
    I'm a Titanic nut as well and I am sooo jealous of your autograped picture!!!

misslena Guest
    Have any of you ever been to the Titanic exhibit at the Tropicana in Las Vegas? My boyfriend and I checked it out last year. It was amazing. Seeing all those artifacts was surreal.

GODDESS6 Guest
    i too am a titanic fanatic, i saw the exhibit, it was amazing, they had this huge piece of ice there that you could touch to feel how cold the water was that night, i could barely stand to touch it, i can't imagine how horrific it was for the survivors who were submerged in it~

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I wonder if like in 50 or 60 years or so, we'll be down to like the last 10 who got out of the World Trade Centers on 9/11.

1karenhb Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    Funny, I've got some of that Titanic coal too! Looks like a lot of us got taken for that $25.00!!! Great exhibit though (I saw it here in San Francisco last year).
    Looks great in my curio cabinet next to that piece of "Sharon's Stone" (stone from Sharon Tate's fireplace) that I just received from Scott!
    I have a piece of coal too that I received as a gift from my Mom and a piece of the fireplace from the Tate house I received from going on Scott's Manson Murders tour last year. Great momemtos. Several years ago, read a book about Violet Jessup who survived both the Titantic sinking and another ship sinking years later ( the Olympia???). She worked on both ships. Very interesting book.

Quote Originally Posted by 1karenhb View Post
    I have a piece of coal too that I received as a gift from my Mom and a piece of the fireplace from the Tate house I received from going on Scott's Manson Murders tour last year. Great momemtos. Several years ago, read a book about Violet Jessup who survived both the Titantic sinking and another ship sinking years later ( the Olympia???). She worked on both ships. Very interesting book.

You're thinking of the [SIZE=3]BRITTANIC[/SIZE] which was supposedly going to be called the GIGANIC, but after the TITANIC disaster, the WHITE STAR LINE thought better of it......

The OLYMPIC was the only one of the three that served throughout her life without a fatal demise. The OLYMPIC was in several skirmishes, one of which had JESSOP on board at that time too (I think). Author WALTER LORD who wrote the well known A NIGHT TO REMEMBER about the sinking of the TITANIC had begged his parents to board passage on the OLYMPIC so that he could get a genuine feel for what the TITANIC must have been like. He got his wish too.

1karenhb Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    You're thinking of the [SIZE=3]BRITTANIC[/SIZE] which was supposedly going to be called the GIGANIC, but after the TITANIC disaster, the WHITE STAR LINE thought better of it......

The OLYMPIC was the only one of the three that served throughout her life without a fatal demise. The OLYMPIC was in several skirmishes, one of which had JESSOP on board at that time too (I think). Author WALTER LORD who wrote the well known A NIGHT TO REMEMBER about the sinking of the TITANIC had begged his parents to board passage on the OLYMPIC so that he could get a genuine feel for what the TITANIC must have been like. He got his wish too.
    Thanks for the clarification. Couldn't remember the name of the other ship she was on.

Blondin Guest
    My great aunt was supposed to sail on the Titanic from Ireland. For some reason she missed it and was so freaked out when she heard that it sank that she stayed in Ireland for another 30 years. I have a souvenir pen knife from the ship she eventually sailed on, the Mauretania.

cdntitanic Guest

Rms Titanic Inc.

My grandfather George Albert Darrell McCausland worked for The White Star Line from 1919 to 1929.
    I got on the "Titanic" train well before the "craze".
    I personally believe that the Titanic exhibit in Orlando was ok but to give money to RMS TITANIC INC. only gives that company more money to rape the resting spot 2.5 miles down in the Atlantic Ocean. Artifacts are fine but I still don't think they have the right to touch. Neither did Bob Ballard for that matter. Yea Bob found it. Plot it and leave it alone! Did anyone ask Dean what she thought??

lisalouver Guest
    Great thread!

I have seen Milavina Dean on a lot of Titanic shows, I am glad to see she is still kicking!

I've been there! I was actually going to tell this story when I got to the end of the thread. Hubs and I went through the exhibit back in '03. The exhibit itself was amazing with the staircase, the block of ice that was the exact temp of the water that night, and the propeller from the boat itself. But the most heartrending part of the whole thing - when you stepped out of one door, you were one the bow of the ship. It was extremely cold and they had "water" over the side. The guide told us, "Ladies, you have 1 minute to say good-bye to your husbands and step to the railing to board the lifeboat". I freaked! I had been in that exhibit over 3 hours, so I was definately in the mindset. That was the worst experience of my life.
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

don't_axe_me Guest
    I would have to say, that unless I had children with me that I needed to tend to, 3-4 very strong men would have had to physically placed me in a lifeboat at that point. I couldn't leave him.

Quote Originally Posted by don't_axe_me View Post
    I would have to say, that unless I had children with me that I needed to tend to, 3-4 very strong men would have had to physically placed me in a lifeboat at that point. I couldn't leave him.
    I didn't! He kept saying, "It's not for real! It's not for real!". Man, when we got out of there, I sat in the little courtyard outside the exhibit and smoked Lord knows how many cigarettes. That thing really did a number on me.
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

lisalouver Guest
    This is the only thread I found on the Titanic, so I will put this here.

Bob Ballard, the guy who discovered the wreckage of the Titanic is confirming now that his expedition was actually a cover-up that the US Navy concoted in order to find two long lost shipwrecks.

Ballard had asked the Navy to help fund his expedition and they said they would pay him to look for these two US Navy subs, I believe that were sunk in the 1960's and if he found them, they would pay for 12 days for him to find the Titanic.

He found all three.

He is coming forward with it now because the mission has since been declassifed.

Here is the short video from Fox news.
    http://www.comcast.net/data/fan/html...an/default.xml

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    This is the only thread I found on the Titanic, so I will put this here.

Bob Ballard, the guy who discovered the wreckage of the Titanic is confirming now that his expedition was actually a cover-up that the US Navy concoted in order to find two long lost shipwrecks.

Ballard had asked the Navy to help fund his expedition and they said they would pay him to look for these two US Navy subs, I believe that were sunk in the 1960's and if he found them, they would pay for 12 days for him to find the Titanic.

He found all three.

He is coming forward with it now because the mission has since been declassifed.

Here is the short video from Fox news.
    http://www.comcast.net/data/fan/html...an/default.xml
    I interviewed Ballard back in the 1980s, when he found the Titanic wreck. He seemed kind of cagey to me, even then, I remember. There was HUGE news coverage at the time. I remember I also interviewed one of the survivors. I don't recall her name or much of what she said, but I do recall she was a very good storyteller and gave me an excellent sense of how crowded the lifeboat was and how frightened everyone was. I can't remember where she wass from (probably here), but I'm sure she's dead now.
    We have a very odd cemetery here in TO that's become surrounded by the on/off ramps to two major highways and I've heard that some of the Titanic victims are buried there. It sounds a bit like an urban legend to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post

tooo cool jack!
    pull the string!

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    I interviewed Ballard back in the 1980s, when he found the Titanic wreck. He seemed kind of cagey to me, even then, I remember. There was HUGE news coverage at the time. I remember I also interviewed one of the survivors. I don't recall her name or much of what she said, but I do recall she was a very good storyteller and gave me an excellent sense of how crowded the lifeboat was and how frightened everyone was. I can't remember where she wass from (probably here), but I'm sure she's dead now.
    We have a very odd cemetery here in TO that's become surrounded by the on/off ramps to two major highways and I've heard that some of the Titanic victims are buried there. It sounds a bit like an urban legend to me.
    Great info Duster, thanks!

burgtwngrl Guest
    I've always been fascinated by the Titanic Tragedy also. My family and I are going to see the titanic exihibit at the Carnegie Science Center in Pittsburgh PA this summer. They have artifacts; they are going to re-create some of the rooms on the titanic and your admission ticket is going to be a replica of the tickets given to the titanic passengers with the white star line logo and each admission ticket will have a name of one of the actual passengers on that fateful voyage. I can't wait. it runs til September.

knothere Guest
    wonder if any ofem wrote a book

CLASSified in Death : Recovering the Titanic's dead

very interesting link, on what was done to the bodies that were recovered from the accident:

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/classified.html
    pull the string!

Rosa Moline Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hell0kitty View Post
    very interesting link, on what was done to the bodies that were recovered from the accident:

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/classified.html
    That was a very fascinating and poignant link, Thank you.

Seagorath Guest
    They should just "rebuild" the freakin' Titanic...they have all the blueprints. They could even fix the problem (so she doesn't flood) and maker her right again...

Titanic II would make a FORTUNE!

panda Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    They should just "rebuild" the freakin' Titanic...they have all the blueprints. They could even fix the problem (so she doesn't flood) and maker her right again...

Titanic II would make a FORTUNE!
    You know, several years ago they talked of building another one. They took a survey & by astounding numbers discovered that there were not many who would sail on it. So they never rebuilt it. I can't remember where I read that, but I remember voting..........the answer was no. I love the water, do not like boats & would never dream of taking a cruise. I do not like crowds & have been sea sick, so no thank you to a cruise for me.

Seagorath Guest
    Well, damn...I'd certainly like to cruise on a 21st Century TITANIC II...It would be SAFE!!!

...and FUN...

PS â?? I think they should RETHINK the petition now.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    You know, several years ago they talked of building another one. They took a survey & by astounding numbers discovered that there were not many who would sail on it. So they never rebuilt it. I can't remember where I read that, but I remember voting..........the answer was no. I love the water, do not like boats & would never dream of taking a cruise. I do not like crowds & have been sea sick, so no thank you to a cruise for me.

panda Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    Well, damn...I'd certainly like to cruise on a 21st Century TITANIC II...It would be SAFE!!!

...and FUN...

PS â?? I think they should RETHINK the petition now.
    Okay Sea, I'll vote yes for you. But I aint gonna sail on it, I'll wave goodbye to you with a hankie from shore & blow ya kisses.

Seagorath Guest
    Thanks

And I'll send you a nice "picture postcard" from Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    Okay Sea, I'll vote yes for you. But I aint gonna sail on it, I'll wave goodbye to you with a hankie from shore & blow ya kisses.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    I've seen [SIZE=3]MILLVINA DEAN[/SIZE] on interviews/documentaries about the TITANIC particularly 10 years ago when interest was renewed due to the blockbuster film. She came across as very articulate, knowledgable, likeable. Possibly because she was an infant when the great ship sank and had no actual memories of the event it would appear that it was easier for her to speak about the disaster than it was for other survivors. Many who had survived the disaster would not (speak of the event).

with her mother APRIL 1912

Fantastic pictures. THanks.