Thread: Walter Payton - Sweetness

RoRo Guest

Walter Payton - Sweetness

Football player. Legendary Chicago Bears running back. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1993.
    1954 - 1999
    Cause of death: Liver disease complicated by cancer

"Da Bears"!!!

Kathyf Guest
    He was a a great person. They have a cool restaurant made out of the old train yard here in Illinois in Aurora called Walter Payton's Roundhouse. It has a few levels and nice museum with his things.

Growing up (and still now) I was/am a Dallas Cowboys fan. I didn't really appreciate him as much as I should have. He was damn good though. I heard Mike Ditka said that he regretted letting the Fridge score a rushing touchdown in the Superbowl against the Pats and not Payton.

The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathyf View Post
    He was a a great person. They have a cool restaurant made out of the old train yard here in Illinois in Aurora called Walter Payton's Roundhouse. It has a few levels and nice museum with his things.

wow!!!!
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 11-20-2007 at 08:55 PM.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Sweetness indeed....I always found Walter a class act, and it broke my heart the way he went....

6. 11-09-2007, 07:26 AM

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Walter was not only an amazing footbal player, but he was also a SWEET man. anyone who ever came in contact with him said nothing but nice things about him. he was very down to earth and always took time out for his fans. he is greatly missed here in Chicago.

Bake Guest
    He was an AWESOME man!! I will never forget at a Grand Prix here in Detroit, he was at our company suite signing autographs, and I noticed a gorgeous large gold chain bracelet on his arm...it had a very large W in diamonds on it. I told him what an awesome bracelet it was, as I gently turned it to see the W. He looked at me and said "your only saying that cause you want me!!" LOL
    I have a really cool pic of me and him...as we stood side by side to have the pic taken, he dug his finger right square into my rib...I couldn't get away from him and I was laughing so hard...I'm ticklish!!
    I also have gotten to meet his buddy, Matt Suhey. For those of you who have me on your myspace, that is Matt in my profile pic. Matt was the one who's pants Walter was pulling down on in quite a popular picture that circulates!!
    Walter was awesome!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	walter and I.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	157.1 KB 
ID:	718  
    Last edited by Bake; 11-10-2007 at 12:46 PM. Reason: To Add picture

i can watch his high lite reels over and over. his concentration is incredible.he had perfect running form,transcending football.

More Cheese Please Guest
    Missing Sweetness on this day, the day of his passing, November 1st, 1999...

http://www.payton34.com/

Walter Payton- The Greatest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOHB0...eature=related

Misanthropic1 Guest
    Walter was the shizz...I thought this might be fun, here's a little of his progeny, Jarrett

Inducting dad in Pro Football Hall-of-Fame 7/31/1993 (aged 12)

Scoring 3 touchdowns for Montreal vs British Columbia 9/9/2007

At the U
    As a senior in 2004, rushed for 1,012 yards on 182 carries for a 5.4 yd/carry avg. and scored 7 TDs

With the CFL Montreal Alouettes in 2007

With the NFL Europe Amsterdam Admirals in 2005

Misanthropic1 Guest
    With the Tennessee Titans in 2005

I love me some sweetness! He was just awesome to watch. I've posted this several places around this forum but it never gets old for me! He truly was the greatest! I break album out every Super Sunday! God rest his soul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJNC3dgreaU

More Cheese Please Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Philliefan View Post
    I love me some sweetness! He was just awesome to watch. I've posted this several places around this forum but it never gets old for me! He truly was the greatest! I break album out every Super Sunday! God rest his soul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJNC3dgreaU
    LOVES IT Miss Phillie!!!

I miss Walter so much... so young.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csiuHEyCR4I

Martini M. Guest
    I remember when he announced his illness. It was so heartbreaking, seeing this man who always seemed so powerful and heroic, break down and cry and be comforted by his son.

More Cheese Please Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Martini M. View Post
    I remember when he announced his illness. It was so heartbreaking, seeing this man who always seemed so powerful and heroic, break down and cry and be comforted by his son.
    I remember that too... so sad....

Seagorath Guest
    I loved Sweetness as a kid...and Earl Campbell. I got so down watching Walter cry at that press conference...regarding his illness. His legend will live forever.

Local guy made good.

Walter was the "MAN"!

pvezz Guest
    I can't believe he's been gone that long. RIP.

Walter Payton and The Fridge were out camping. They were awakened by the sound of a huge bear destroying their campsite. Payton jumps out of his sleeping bag and starts lacing up his cleats. William Perry looks at him and says "Walter, you're crazy! There's no way that you can outrun a bear." Without looking up, Payton says "I don't have to outrun a bear, I just have to outrun you."

Loved Sweetness. Loved the way he'd toss the ball nonchalantly to the ref after he scored a TD. A true class act.

Jazbabee Guest
    Wow, 9 years already ! In some ways, seems like just yesterday

STRAIGHT Guest
    He and Barry Sanders were the greatest backs I ever saw play the game.

NOVSTORM Guest
    I lived down the street fromm him .l He had nno problemswith fans showing up at his home. He was a real family man and a good person. He was greatly missed when he died.