Thread: Florence Griffith Joyner "Flo-Jo"

RoRo Guest

Florence Griffith Joyner "Flo-Jo"

I remember being shocked when Flo jo died....I wonder now if she used steriods.....she was impressive on the track!!

Olympic Athlete. Track and field star of the 1988 Olympics. She set the women's 100-meter world record of 10.49 seconds at the 1988 U.S. Olympic trials, although many have contended the mark was wind-aided.
    1958 - 1998 Cause of death: Heart seizure
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6706_114868108640.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	658  

the cause of death was more complicated:

Death
    In 1998, Griffith-Joyner died in her sleep at her home in Mission Viejo, California. On October 22, the sheriff-coroner's office (required to investigate unexpected deaths) announced the cause of death as: "1) positional asphyxia 2) epileptiform seizure 3) cavernous angioma, left orbital frontal cerebrum".[1]
    The cavernous angioma referred to a brain abnormality discovered during the autopsy that made Joyner subject to seizures. It was a congenital defect, having developed before birth.[2] In 1990 she had, according to a family attorney, suffered a grand mal seizure and had been treated for seizures in 1990, 1993 and 1994.
    The direct cause of death was that she had suffocated in her pillow during a severe epileptic seizure.

Darrianne Guest
    Thanks for that explanation. I had wondered how such a healthy, vibrant woman could just die........makes you feel your own mortality.

Were there allegations or suspicions of steroids?

b57hrle Guest
    She was an extremely talented athlete.. I remember watching her during the Olympics... and just loved her manicures she showed off.... LONNNNG nails with the flag on them and such.... she was a beauty too!! Tragic loss so young!

Kathyf Guest
    So talented and young. You would think she would have been hindered by the seizures she had.

RoRo Guest
    thanks for the deeper info cash!!

disco Guest
    Yea I loved her at the olympics. Them Muscles were poppin out her legs and butt like it was going outta style. You had to be Ray Charles not to see the steroids she was using. Sorry she passed. But as long as they takin down Marion, flo gotta go too. Also that Barry Bonds, Babe or Hank could out hit him on a bad day. The bad thing is that Bonds is arrogant about it.

cachluv Guest
    Remember when she was running and broke her hamstring? She was BOOKIN' and couldn't just stop, she had to keep running till she slowed down. That hurt to watch it.

Can anyone find that clip?

GhostWorld Guest
    I hope to actually go by this one day:
    Best Statue Florence Joyner, at Florence Joyner Olympiad Park. When death caught the former Olympian in ’98, residents of her hometown demanded their Olympic-themed park be dedicated in her honor, complete with bronze statue. They designed the award-winning park with the International Olympic Committee—and that’s how the canny devils were able to bag actual light fixtures from the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics for the Tot Lot area—a children’s playground rigged up like the real Olympic Villages, only not so much McDonald’s. 22760 Olympiad Rd., Mission Viejo.

disco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cachluv View Post
    Remember when she was running and broke her hamstring? She was BOOKIN' and couldn't just stop, she had to keep running till she slowed down. That hurt to watch it.

Can anyone find that clip?

I remember that? That was wild.

darock299 Guest
    no drugs in her system.....

beatlebaby4 Guest
    What a talent. I was so shocked when she died.

Doped to the gills.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Doped to the gills.

Truly.....but it sure was sweet to watch her run

Beautiful woman. Such a shame.

Pat Bateman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Doped to the gills.
    Yeah, I believed she was, too.

Some of the records she set were so incredible, you'd think she must have had some kind of 'chemical assistance'. I think her world record in the 100 metres (set back in the 80s) still stands.

I guess the other thing that arouse suspicion was that she "retired" the year they started testing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

John Connor Guest
    Never could stand her for some reason. Very trashy. They found a big ball of cheese in her stomach and all her organs were congested. She'd eaten a pizza that day.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Never could stand her for some reason. Very trashy. They found a big ball of cheese in her stomach and all her organs were congested. She'd eaten a pizza that day.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Well hell....I`d hate to think what they`ll find in mine

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    Well hell....I`d hate to think what they`ll find in mine
    I'd be positively mortified if I died with a belly full of one of my grossest addictions: Macaroni salad with cottage cheese and italian dressing on top.

I can just see the disgusted look on the coroner's face.

I saw an interview with her husband and he still had her voice answering her cell phone....