Thread: Coretta Scott King

RoRo Guest

Coretta Scott King

This lady showed such courage and dignity in the face of all her hardships and has, I feel, been overlooked in history....

Wife of Martin Luther King Jr. She was highly supportive her husband and his efforts during the most tumultuous days of the American civil rights movement. After his assassination in Memphis, Tennessee, on April 4, 1968, she became a community leader and kept his dream alive. She worked to keep his ideology of equality for all people at the forefront of Americas's agenda. Cause of death: Complications from from ovarian cancer and a stroke....1927 - 2006

Kathyf Guest
    She was a very strong Woman it seemed. She always acted like a true Lady.

stinkythejokedog Guest
    MLK would have been destroyed by the current press/media machine

4. 11-08-2007, 12:40 PM

i heard that a relative once set fire to her... i suppose this was only rumor!

6. 11-08-2007, 01:59 PM

poppie Guest
    Mrs King was a strong woman. Great role model for all.

Katie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by xoxojessicaxoxo View Post
    i heard that a relative once set fire to her... i suppose this was only rumor!
    I think you might be confusing her with Malcolm X's wife, who was in a fire, set by her grand son.

Harry in Connecticut Guest
    I remember Mrs King being introduced on Ed Sullivan after her husband died.

When Ed kissed her cheek, my mother said... "Get your fat lips off of her you asshole."

Mom thought Mrs King was special.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    I think you might be confusing her with Malcolm X's wife, who was in a fire, set by her grand son.
    that's right! i got them confused. thanks for setting me straight katie!

disco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity09 View Post
    she was articulate, well educated, soft spoken

That picture always brings gravity to the cause of civil rights and the struggle with injustice.

disco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity09 View Post
    RIP

She is finally at peace. A wonderful woman and inspirational to us all.

Shano Guest
    On a recent trip to Memphis, TN we went to The National Civil Rights Museum. It was the most moving museum I have ever been to. It is connected to the Lorraine Motel where MLK was assassinated and has his room glassed in exactly how he left it when he stepped out on the balcony where he was killed.

The bus (or one like it) where Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat to a white man is on display as well as a Freedom Riders bus that was set fire by a group of angry white ass***s (very impacting) and the lunch counter where one of the first sit ins occurred. The museum is connected to (by tunnel) the boarding house where the shooter took position when he was waiting for MLK to come out of his room.

At the end of the museum it displays the world issues affecting civil rights for all.

I have to say I teared up many times during my visit. My 7 year old son learned a lot that day. As a Mom I am proud that we took him there. I hope that when he becomes a man that he remembers what he learned.

When my son was in kindergarten he came home one day very excited. He wanted to call one of our very close friends who is black to tell him what he had learned. It was MLK day at school and they learned a bit about the Civil Rights movement. He wanted to call our friend and tell him that he could go to any shop or restaurant that he wanted to, and that he could vote in any election. At 6 he didn't understand that our friend already knew this! lol I let him call and our friend played along. At the end of his conversation my son said to our friend "And when I grow up I am going to be just like MLK and give everyone a Dove of Peace. I am going to tell everyone that they need to love each other no matter what color they are." Our friend cried he was so touched that our son wanted to let him know how he felt.

I hope that if you all get a chance to go to Memphis you will go to The National Civil Rights Museum. Oh and PS... to actually be in the spot where someone that famous was bumped off!!!! Death Hag Heaven!!!

RoRo Guest
    Shano what a wonderful story!!! Thank you for sharing that!!!

BabsAlicious Guest
    So sad that this is what is going on with her children:

http://www.eurweb.com/story/eur46388.cfm