Thread: Lew Wasserman

Lew Wasserman

Paul Newman's an old friend of ours out of Cleveland, Ohio. He used to sit around our house. He's the only man I've ever known to drink a case of beer all by himself. That's talent in a way. - Lew Wasserman

15 March 1913 - 2 June 2002
    "Last of the Hollywood Moguls,"
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 07-23-2009 at 01:19 AM.

He was a Hollywood agent and studio executive credited with first creating and then taking apart the studio system in a career spanning more than six decades.
    The son of Russian Jewish immigrants in Cleveland, Ohio, Wasserman started out as a booking agent for the Music Corporation of America (MCA).
    Under Wasserman's watch, MCA branched out into representing actors and actresses in addition to musicians and in the process created the studio system, which drove up prices for studios. As an agency, Wasserman's MCA came to dominate Hollywood, representing such stars as Bette Davis and Ronald Reagan, whom Wasserman was instrumental in helping to become president of the Screen Actors Guild.

SenorMuerto Guest
    I recently picked up a copy of "When Hollywood Had A King" by Connie Bruck.

Got the hardcover edition at a Dollar Tree store for, yes, one dollar.

It's about Lew Wasserman, along with Jules Stein and MCA.

An AMAZING story! There are very few names here on Findadeath and in Hollywood that Wasserman didn't have some contact or part in their career.

They were also a power in Washington DC. Hell, they had power everywhere.

Great book and a real education and history of Hollywood, showbiz, the Chicago mob, Unions, etc.

NewYorkDoll Guest
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388201/

The Last Mogul
    Scandal. Power. Corruption. Finally, a true Hollywood story.

A biography of powerful Hollywood agent and executive Lew Wasserman.

I just saw it a couple of weeks ago on one of the movie channels. Well worth watching.

the last mogul was aa good watch, espically if you are into old hollywood.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

RoRo Guest
    I love the golden age of Hollywood..just finished a book on David O Selznick...the studios really controlled so much