Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christina Onassis

Kathyf Guest

Christina Onassis

I did not find her anywhere I hope this is a new one.

Christina Onassis was born December 11, 1950 in New York City to Greek shipping empire giant Aristotle Socrates Onassis and his wife, Athina. Though a poor refugee during his own childhood, the elder Onassis had earned his way in the business world by the time Christina was born, and the family was considered one of the wealthiest in the world. The Onassis's had homes in Paris, Greece, and New York City, and were well known for their spirit of charity, art, power and influence.

Christina's early childhood was marked by her parent's bitter divorce in the mid 1960s, extensive media coverage, and years of early formal education, which would take her to New York and Switzerland, and far away from her busy family.

In 1968, after a highly publicized courtship, Christina's father married Jacqueline Kennedy, former President John F. Kennedy's widow. The media quickly picked up the story and would closely follow the relationships within the Onassis family for years, playing close attention to Christina's disapproval of Jackie. Determined to carve her own path and avoid the spotlight, Christina moved to London and enrolled in Queens College to study fashion. She would dropped out several months later, at the age of 19, ending her formal education.

When her mother, Athina, found a third husband in Stavros Niarchos, the publicity surrounding Christina and her family only increased. Niarchos was not only the widower of Athina's sister, but also the elder Onassis's bitter shipping rival. As paper after paper ran headlines about the Onassis's, Christina created news of her own by marrying a realtor 27-years her senior. Onassis was 20 years old at the time and the marriage would last only 9-months.

Eager for her own identity and the approval of the media, Christina began working at her father's headquarters in Monaco. She began as a secretary, working her way up the corporate ladder. Proving herself an intelligent, competent businesswoman, Christina managed more than one-billion dollars each day and was considered by many a "natural" in the business world, inheriting her father's good judgement and social skills.

In the early 1970s, illness and death would plague the Onassis family. In 1973, Christina's brother, Alexander was killed while flying a private plane. Her mother, Athina, would pass away the following year of Pulmonary Edema, and her beloved father, Aristotle, died in March of 1975.

Despite her success in running the family business, Christina's personal life constantly overshadowed her accomplishments, and her face was frequently splashed across the front pages of gossip and entertainment papers. Christina was said to be using a variety of addictive drugs on a regular basis, including amphetamines and barbiturates. She would marry and divorce four men in her lifetime, never keeping a husband for more than two years.

In 1985, Christina and her fourth husband, Thierry Roussel, had a daughter, Athina, named after her mother. Divorcedand splitting time between Saint Moritz and Paris, Christina took great pride in caring for her daughter, determined to create a stable atmosphere for her child, which she would later claim was missing from her own life. During the early 1980s, she also sat on the Alexander Onassis Foundation board, serving as President to the charitable group formed in her brother's memory.
    On November 19, 1988, Christina Onassis was found dead in a friend's home in Argentina. Her death was attributed to a heart attack, brought on by years of drugabuse. Athina is now in the custody of her father and is the sole heiress to the $600 million Onassis fortune and a massive personal inheritance. Athina lives with her father, stepmother, and three step-siblings in Switzerland and France. On her 18th birthday, Athina will immediately inherit $2.4 billion.
    Last edited by Nessa; 12-07-2008 at 07:16 PM.

I saw a biography on her on A&E awhile back and I actually felt sorry for the woman. All she wanted was a man to love her, not her money. She kept picking douche bags who didn't give a damn about her. That's got to suck to spend your entire life questioning every relationship because of money.

It sorta seemed like the whole family was just miserable.

[SIZE=3]I always felt so bad for CHRISTINA, as though you wanted to give the girl a hug and take care of her. She seemed like areally nice person who didn't have good parenting, nor a good support system as an adult. I believe that with love and right people around her she would have lived to a right old age. Very sad.[/SIZE]

Kathyf Guest
    Me too Kelt. It just seems like she had it bad even with all her money. I remember when I heard on the news she died I kept thinking how much she wanted her daughter away from Roussel. I think most men just wanted her money.

knothere Guest
    yup i hope their daughter dont suffer the same everyone wants my money fate
    n i think that roussel charcters a dooooosh
    he woodnt spend the time a day on christina unless he was given lotsa money
    n knokin up sum young woman while bilkin her
    funny tho when u hear golddigger most people think wimin

RoRo Guest
    Such a sad woman...always looking for love, probably because her father was so devastated by his sons death......I think sons meant more to men back then. Seems to me nowadays dads are happy with girls. My dad was like that about my brothers...one died before I was born and he was always wanting another son...he got one when I was about 15 and was so protective of him till his own death...I felt kinda second best as I am sure Christina did

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Here's a picture of Athina and an article about her marriage:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/...422048419.html

b57hrle Guest
    Kathy, Great info and great post! She was really pretty, but always kind of sad...

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Watson View Post
    Here's a picture of Athina and an article about her marriage:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/...422048419.html
    i was curious about Athina a couple of years ago and saw this or a similar article... she turned out to be a beautiful young woman.... how sad to lose her mom so young... i think her dad must had done a pretty good job with her... the pictures you would see of her as a young girl with her dad and stepmom made it appear as though they were one big happy family...

i sure hope that was the case! Sus

Darrianne Guest
    Oh, she is very pretty. I hope her life is much happier and calmer than her mother's was. Thanks for sharing that link.

Sock Puppet Guest
    I remember her from the tabloids back in the day and she was every bit as much of a train wreck as Paris Hilton or Anna Nicole Smith. Every week, there was a story about Christina Onassis.

Kathyf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by b57hrle View Post
    Kathy, Great info and great post! She was really pretty, but always kind of sad...
    She was. All that money and a horrible life you never know.

Chascsq Guest
    The poor woman may of felt unloved and a disappointment to her family, but she gave her father his only grandchild, and Athina looks like she turned out okay.
    Last edited by Chascsq; 11-10-2007 at 06:05 AM.

panda Guest
    I heard that her father always told her that no one would ever love her for her it would always be for her money. Hearing that all your life you're bound to believe it especially coming from someone you love & adore like your father. He may have meant well, but I think it did way more harm than good.

FannyB1923 Guest
    It was nice seeing that picture of Athina. I can see a resemblance to Ari, but also her grandmother who was a famous beauty.
    I hope she's having a happier life than her mother.

I don't know if it was drugs or maybe a mental disorder, but Christina's life was a wild ride. Kind of reminds me of Judy Garland- never quite finding true love. Guess that's what money does for a girl. Athina's father was something like her 3rd husband (?) He was a complete and utter cad. As in, he had a mistress and was having children with her, while married to Christina. After CO's death, he married her and Athina was raised with her half-siblings.

I hate to say it, but maybe Athina had something more of a normal life, because Christina passed away. A billionaire's life to be sure, but she doesn't appear in the tabloids the way Onassis' used to back in his day.

MoonRabbit Guest
    I remember a story about Christina Onassis.

She was driven past the White House one day a few years after her father's death.
    And she commented that Jackie O had always bragged about The White
    House being so huge.
    Christina seeing The White House in person thought The White House was not all that big.

Why this particular story sticks to my mind I will never know?

I think, if I can remember correctly, that Christina was the subject of tabloids making fun of her weight and her looks.

Sam Guest
    I'm sorry, I can't feel sorry for Christina, ALL that money and she threw her life away!
    I hope Athina finds love and happiness, if not whatever reasonable facsimile money can buy. And DON'T try and tell me it CAN'T.

MorbidMolly Guest

octobersky Guest
    I read that Athina sold her mother's jewelry. There were some amazing pieces. Including the necklace she has on in the pic Molly posted. That necklace is 38 carats and fetched between $3.5 - 4.3 million.
    Overall it was expected to fetch 16 million.

I don't care that she sold the jewelry but I couldn't even imagine wearing things like that and I love diamonds. She certainly didn't need the money.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2008...els_once_.html

bunny Guest
    can you imagine having all that money and no one to love, how sad...all they wanted was her money, I think even her friends were like that...even if they say they were her best friends, I bet she gave them money

Rosa Moline Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    wow, she looks very attractive in this pic...I know she had a constant battle with her weight too. Poor Christina.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosa Moline View Post
    wow, she looks very attractive in this pic...I know she had a constant battle with her weight too. Poor Christina.

Yes indeed....I`ve never seen her so pretty....so I had to post it

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Beautiful picture of her.

That necklace, wow. It's like, if that's a fake, it's ridiculous and if it's real, it's ridiculous, too. But we know it's real.

MorbidMolly Guest

That necklace, wow. It's like, if that's a fake, it's ridiculous and if it's real, it's ridiculous, too. But we know it's real.

Oh yeah....it`s real.....I`ve always admired her.....I don`t want to say I feel sorry for her, because that sounds trite.....she is an enigma for me......what I like to call a lost soul.....there`s a beauty about her....I can`t explain it

octobersky Guest

I did some research on the necklace because wow.

Including the necklace she has on in the pic Molly posted. That necklace is 38 carats and fetched between $3.5 - 4.3 million.

bunny Guest
    you know is sad is she was going pay her ex husband to have another child...how sad she must have been..

In Molly's pic, her eyes look very sad. She's smiling, but it doesn't reach her eyes.
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

She is one person I have always been fascinated by. She was so tragic throughout most of her life... I often wonder how she would be now had she lived.

I always read that she hated her stepmother Jackie O. I wonder if that is true? If so, I wonder why?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sam Guest
    With her money I'd be happier than a pig in shit!!!!

panda Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by priceless View Post
    I always read that she hated her stepmother Jackie O. I wonder if that is true? If so, I wonder why?
    I read that in the book Jackie O. It said that Jackie tried to be friends with her but Christina would have none of it! IDK, maybe she seen Jackie as a gold digger, or perhaps, being the daddy's girls she was, she was jealous. Shame really, all that money certainly did not buy Christina happiness, she always had the saddest eyes.
    huge smile & still such saddness in her eyes....the eyes don't lie

Even when photographed with her beloved daughter, sad eyes

Athina recently married a man twice her age.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

panda Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    I think Christina's first husband was much older than her too....geeze hope the curse doesn't continue with poor Athina...that money just seems to have bad karma attached to it.

Athina seems fairly low key. I like to think that perhaps she'll be just fine.
    I think Christina probably did hate Jackie... there was one book I read where she stated that she disliked her because she found her vapid and narcissistic.

1karenhb Guest

I didn't know she was divorced from her first husband.

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    With her money I'd be happier than a pig in shit!!!!

I don't know about that. That was all she knew and you don't have to be a billionaire to figure out that things won't fill the void in your life. Her life was definitely a Jackie Collins novel.

John Connor Guest

She's 24. The husband is only 36. He semed so much older because she was so young when they met.

Christina with 4th husband/athina's father, Thierry Roussel.

She is the first celeb I can remember following through my grandmother's gossip mags. Was she found dead in a hot tub? Something about a hot tub is stuck in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Mintgiver View Post
    She is the first celeb I can remember following through my grandmother's gossip mags. Was she found dead in a hot tub? Something about a hot tub is stuck in my head.
    Bath tub.

c l p Guest
    just goes to show that money can't buy love. i hope she can rest in peace and all her demons are put to rest.

Quote Originally Posted by John Connor View Post
    She's 24. The husband is only 36. He semed so much older because she was so young when they met.

Whoa...that must have been what I was thinking of. Or I didn't realize she was 24 now!
    Wanna see my grandkids?

Dixie Girl Guest
    From all that I understand, Athina is heavily involved with horses--they are a lifelong passion for her. I sometimes wonder if she got into horses with such fervor because the horses love unconditionally and provide many hours of enjoyment without expecting anything from anyone--except perhaps an extra carrot. I cannot help but think what a miserable life someone like her must have in regards to human friendship--she would never know who wants/cares for her, and who has ulterior motives. Most of us are truly blessed to know that the people around us care for us, as people, and what we bring to the table--yet some of the upper crust are valued only for what they can provide.

Wow - she basically lost her whole family within a 5 year time span - that is a lot to take. No wonder she had trust and drug issue's, hell I would too!
    My Posse's On Broadway

Fate's Captive...great article about Christina's life and death from the archives of People Magazine:

http://www.people.com/people/archive...100665,00.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

Quote Originally Posted by Cynful View Post
    Fate's Captive...great article about Christina's life and death from the archives of People Magazine:

http://www.people.com/people/archive...100665,00.html
    Damn, only 37???

Quote Originally Posted by shipmatekate View Post
    Damn, only 37???
    Yes, and she packed a whole lot of grief, sadness and loneliness into those 37 years. Sad life.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

Christina's mother, Athina Livanos Spencer-Churchill Niarchos (right), with her sister, Eugenia Livanos Niarchos (left)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4909580353_5d1fdcffd1.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	41255

Follow along closely

Athina was married 3 times:

Aristotle Onassis - 1946 - 1960
    John Spence-Churchill (Marquess of Blandford - related to Winston Churchill & more distantly, Princess Diana) - 1961 - 1971
    Stavros Niarchos - 1971 - 1974

She died of a drug overdose in 1974 following the death of her son, Alexander.

Her sister, Eugenia, was married once - to Stavros Niarchos - 1947 - 1970. Eugenia died of a barbituate overdose, and yeah...that's right. Athina married her sister's widower.

Christina Onassis had the deck stacked against her from the day of her conception. I cannot imagine a sadder life; she makes Barbara Hutton & Doris Duke look like the Jolly Sisters.

VCNJ~
    Professional Thread-Killer

Quote Originally Posted by VeuveClicquotNJ View Post
    Christina's mother, Athina Livanos Spencer-Churchill Niarchos (right), with her sister, Eugenia Livanos Niarchos (left)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4909580353_5d1fdcffd1.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	41255

Follow along closely

Athina was married 3 times:

Aristotle Onassis - 1946 - 1960
    John Spence-Churchill (Marquess of Blandford - related to Winston Churchill & more distantly, Princess Diana) - 1961 - 1971
    Stavros Niarchos - 1971 - 1974

She died of a drug overdose in 1974 following the death of her son, Alexander.

Her sister, Eugenia, was married once - to Stavros Niarchos - 1947 - 1970. Eugenia died of a barbituate overdose, and yeah...that's right. Athina married her sister's widower.

Christina Onassis had the deck stacked against her from the day of her conception. I cannot imagine a sadder life; she makes Barbara Hutton & Doris Duke look like the Jolly Sisters.

VCNJ~
    Thank you SO much for this history and the pic.....what history. Poor Christina.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]