Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Fancynancy View Post
    I just finished one myself about Mary Surratt--I can't recall the name, sadly enough--but I also just purchased over 100.00 worth of Lincoln conspiracy books. I majored in History in college.
    me too!

Fancynancy Guest
    Did you ever see that movie The Lincoln Conspiracy that came out around 78? Where there is a theory that Booth actually escaped and some guy named Boyd is the one actually buried in Booth's grave?

Either way, he's certainly dead now.

Did you ever see that movie The Lincoln Conspiracy that came out around 78? Where there is a theory that Booth actually escaped and some guy named Boyd is the one actually buried in Booth's grave?

Hobbes12 Guest
    One of the greatest presidents of all-time...

Redford to direct Lincoln assassination film:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/08/19/2660162.htm?section=entertainment

the movie will focus on Mary Surratt who many think was wrongly executed.

Nicki Guest
    I once Emailed the Surratt House Museum website and asked them if they thought she was innocent or guilty. They did say that everything really did point to guilty. Very much looking forward to Redfords movie on Lincoln and also Mary Surratt.

Lincoln's body almost stolen!
    http://home.att.net/~rjnorton/Lincoln47.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

deathhagcutie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post

Lewis Payne, standing in overcoat and without hat. Federal guard standing on left

Better pic of hanging

John Wilkes Booth

Lincoln's coffin
    lol that lewis pain was really hot!!..they also hung a women that was involved a little in the plot.. abe suffered from depression too

ChiFan27 Guest
    It was common in those days to share beds between the same sexes. Beds, strangely enough were rare and lawyers to traveled the "circuit" as Lincoln did trying cases often did this. I doubt very much he was gay.

I agree. From all the books I read about Lincoln they all said the same thing. It was common for people to share a bed. He wasn't gay.

Nicki Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiFan27 View Post
    I agree. From all the books I read about Lincoln they all said the same thing. It was common for people to share a bed. He wasn't gay.
    Yea....totally agree. Really it wouldn't make any difference to me if he was. But I truely believe he was straight.

fultondyke Guest
    While there will never be any way to know for sure, there is compelling evidence to suggest that Lincoln was BISEXUAL...Particularly his relationship with Joshua Speed. I am not talking about bed sharing, I am talking about the depth of their relationship as evidenced by surviving letters (many of their correspondances were destroyed immediately after Lincoln's death...). Also, Lincoln was described by detractors as being rather 'lavender' in his own time. Regardless, if Lincoln did have any same sex relationships, he would not have been the first American President to have done so...Franklin Pierce was probabally bisexual also, and James Buchanan was, undoubtedly, homosexual (he was involved with his vice president, W.R. King).

Sam Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiFan27 View Post
    Sharing a bed when a person was of meager means is one thing, sharing a bed when you are the president of the United States is something entirely different.
    Lincoln sharing his bed and night shirts with other males while he was president means one of them got a "poke in the shorts"!

Heavenly Tiger Guest
    Abe's mother Nancy Hawkes Lincoln. Old Abe looked quite a lot like her.

Joshua and Nanny Speed.

Omerta Guest
    Abraham Lincoln related artifacts

Lincoln Commences the Civil War; Orders the Blockade of the Confederacy

The great human interest story of how Lincoln put aside consideration of what to do about Fort Sumter to help a child

Transcript
    Executive Mansion, Washington
    March 19, 1861.

Whom it may concern: I did see and talk with Master George Evans Patten, last May, at Springfield, Illinois.

Respectfully, A. Lincoln

President Lincoln Conveys the Thanks of Congress to Admiral Stringham. Only 30 men received this honor in the entire conflict

Abraham Lincoln Requests Appointment of Future General Frederick A. Starring, Praising His Merits

Omerta Guest
    Original sketches relating to Lincoln's death

View of the box in which the President was assassinted
    1865 April 14

Lincolns death bed
    1865 April 15

Sketch of bunting for Lincolns funeral
    1865 April

Architectural details
    1865 April

Fancynancy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by firegilnotguns View Post
    I had a history professor who said if we ever wanted a really fascinating read, to pick up a bio of Mary Todd Lincoln...

A very tortured, high strung woman. I don't know if the Lincoln lore stories of Ann Ruledege were true, but some historians think not; others think that Mary was never secure in Lincoln's love for her because of his loss of his first love.

Fancynancy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavenly Tiger View Post
    Abe's mother Nancy Hawkes Lincoln. Old Abe looked quite a lot like her.

Joshua and Nanny Speed.

I think it's so cool that Tom Hanks is related to Lincoln!!!

Fancynancy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    I once Emailed the Surratt House Museum website and asked them if they thought she was innocent or guilty. They did say that everything really did point to guilty. Very much looking forward to Redfords movie on Lincoln and also Mary Surratt.

I think she was guilty, too. That chickensh*t son of hers, too.

Town Without Pity Guest
    I watched the PBS show on Lincoln, was very interesting, made me think a little different of Lincoln, but still believe him to be one of the best Presidents of our Country.

Nicki Guest
    Always found Fleetwood Lindley's experiance as being one of the last to ever see Lincolns face quite interestiing.

http://rogerjnorton.com/Lincoln13.html Pictures of the famous Life Magazine Article.

All 23 of the people who viewed the remains of Mr. Lincoln have long since passed away. The last one was Fleetwood Lindley who died on February 1, 1963. Three days before he died, Mr. Lindley was interviewed. He said, "Yes, his face was chalky white. His clothes were mildewed. And I was allowed to hold one of the leather straps as we lowered the casket for the concrete to be poured. I was not scared at the time but I slept with Lincoln for the next six months." Mr. Lindley was 75 when he died and 13 when he had viewed the body. He had been the only child to do so. Mr. Lindley was buried in Oak Ridge Cemetery not far from Lincoln's Tomb. The photograph to the left depicts the youthful Mr. Lindley at age 13. The one to the right depicts him when he was 75.

"All 23 of the people who viewed the remains of Mr. Lincoln have long since passed away. The last one was Fleetwood Lindley who died on February 1, 1963. Three days before he died, Mr. Lindley was interviewed. He said, "Yes, his face was chalky white. His clothes were mildewed. And I was allowed to hold one of the leather straps as we lowered the casket for the concrete to be poured. I was not scared at the time but I slept with Lincoln for the next six months." Mr. Lindley was 75 when he died and 13 when he had viewed the body. He had been the only child to do so. Mr. Lindley was buried in Oak Ridge Cemetery not far from Lincoln's Tomb."

[SIZE=1]Professor Ron Rietveld; Photo Courtesy of Philip Channing[/SIZE]Lincoln Memories

Ronald Rietveld, professor of history at California State University-Fullerton, is known among historians as the person who found the only known photograph of Lincoln in death. You can read that fascinating story in " The Magnificent Find." In "Lincoln Memories" Dr. Rietveld (pronounced "REET-veld") recalls how he met the last surviving person to see Lincoln's body, talked with a man who knew Lincoln as a child, corresponded with author Carl Sandburg, and visited the grave of William Johnson, who was Lincoln's White House valet.

Meeting the Last Person to See Lincoln in Death
    In the fall of 1962 I met Fleetwood Lindley, the last person alive who had seen Lincoln's remains. His experience was to be the final episode in the unbelievable story of Lincoln's body. I visited with Fleetwood at the Clayville Tavern, the old stage stop on the way to New Salem from Springfield, Illinois. Fleetwood died on February 1, 1963, and was the last of 23 people who could say, "I saw him." So I knew the last person who could say that.
    Eleven years after Lincoln was laid to rest at Oak Ridge Cemetery in Springfield, a band of thieves broke into the Lincoln monument and almost made off with the martyred president's body. After that, a small group of Lincoln's friends hid the coffin between the tomb's walls, and for years visitors paid homage to an empty sarcophagus.
    In 1900 the monument had to be torn down and rebuilt. When the present tomb was completed, the bodies of the Lincoln family were moved into the new tomb and preparations were made for the final interment of Lincoln's remains. Fleetwood's father was a friend of Lincoln and one of the self-appointed Guard of Honor who assumed responsibility for the safety of Lincoln's remains. Fleetwood was 13 years old in 1901 when Lincoln's body would be moved from outside where it was, to inside the tomb.
    Fleetwood told me that his father called his school and his teacher suddenly dismissed him in the middle of class. His father had asked that he hurry to the tomb, but to tell no one about his errand. He did not know what he would see but his father had told him that when he viewed Lincoln's body 14 years before, it had been the color of an old saddle. His father met him and took him into the chamber where he saw several of the Guard of Honor plus the two plumbers who had opened the coffin in 1884. These two men sealed the coffin in 1884 and now they were going to re-open it.
    He said paper was put over the windows so no one could see into the tomb. He watched as the plumber opened the green-colored lead coffin lining above Lincoln's head. A pungent, choking smell arose. All 23 people, including Fleetwood, saw a dark brown Lincoln face with the distinct rubbing of white chalk which had been applied by a Philadelphia undertaker during the long funeral trip in 1865.
    Fleetwood told me that any school child would have recognized the face of Abraham Lincoln. The headrest had fallen so that the neck was thrown back, but the short black chin whiskers were perfect. The small black bow tie, the wart on his cheek, the coarse black hair were all unmistakable, although the eyebrows were no longer there. Lincoln was dressed in the black broadcloth suit which he had worn for his second inauguration. Over his hands were still stretched an elegant pair of kid gloves.
    Without question, Fleetwood said, everyone who was present clearly identified the remains to be those of Abraham Lincoln. "His face was chalky white. His clothes were mildewed." Then the coffin was resealed by the plumbers. "I was allowed to hold one of the leather straps as we lowered the coffin for the concrete to be poured." As a security measure dictated by Robert Todd Lincoln, the president's son, the coffin was lowered into a metal cage and covered with two tons of cement, where it now rests 10 feet beneath the tomb floor. Fleetwood said he remembered the experience clearly. He could still recall seeing the face and realized at the time that it was a lifetime experience. Then I shared with him that I had been about the same age when I found the photograph of the president's remains. When I was present at a conference in Springfield on Lincoln's Birthday some years ago, I was talking about Fleetwood with someone. A man came up behind me and said Fleetwood was his uncle. He didn't know that anyone remembered Fleetwood Lindley.
    Last edited by Nicki; 07-31-2010 at 01:04 PM.

GravesEnd Guest
    Very interesting how Samuel Seymour was the last living person who witnessed the assassination of Abraham Lincoln in Ford's Theater. He was 5 years old at the time. He appeared on I've Got A Secret (See YouTube video below) in February 1956, at the age of 96. He died just 2 days before the anniversary of Lincoln's assassination in 1956.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_iq5...layer_embedded

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_J._Seymour
    Last edited by GravesEnd; 08-04-2011 at 12:01 PM.

TheMysterian Guest

Vandals Strike Lincolnâ??s Tomb, Steal Copper Sword

doyleloyal Guest
    that's so disrespectful and you know somebody just took that sword and sold it for scrap.

I agree with the comment that said replace it with one from Walmart. That would solve the problem. It is disrespectful but it also isn't anything personal to Lincoln, just part of the statue I guess.
    Regards,
    Tamie
    When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Town Without Pity View Post
    I watched the PBS show on Lincoln, was very interesting, made me think a little different of Lincoln, but still believe him to be one of the best Presidents of our Country.
    I am watching that Ken Burns series 'The civil war' at the moment. Very illuminating indeed.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

I was watching Brad Meltzers Decoded I think it was last season and it was a episode about how it was Booth in that tobacco barn that got shot that it was a look alike.
    When they did his autopsy the physical description didn't match up with JWB. It was said that JWB survived many years afterwards. I know people have posted on here about Mary Surrat but I didn't see anything on JWB.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

Quote Originally Posted by GravesEnd View Post
    Very interesting how Samuel Seymour was the last living person who witnessed the assassination of Abraham Lincoln in Ford's Theater. He was 5 years old at the time. He appeared on I've Got A Secret (See YouTube video below) in February 1956, at the age of 96. He died just 2 days before the anniversary of Lincoln's assassination in 1956.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_iq5...layer_embedded

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_J._Seymour

I think this to me is one of the best videos ever posted on FAD. Imagine witnessing something like that.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.

This is the only existing photo of Lincoln Lying in State in New York City.

BarefootOkieGal Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by firegilnotguns View Post
    I had a history professor who said if we ever wanted a really fascinating read, to pick up a bio of Mary Todd Lincoln...
    I've read a few - she was an interesting person! I rather tend to feel sorry for her - she was a high-strung person who felt everything very passionately, and she wound up being First Lady at exactly the wrong time for her, due to her background and upbringing (lots of folks thought she was probably a Southern sympathizer); also, Lincoln could probably be hard to live with at times (his bouts of extreme depression are pretty well-known) and she lost three of her four sons young: Eddie before Lincoln was even elected; Willie during Lincoln's time in the White House; Tad at the age of 18 - Tad's death devastated her completely. Add to that the fact that her only surviving son had her declared insane (without real reason) and you can get a picture of a woman who ended her life in a constant state of paranoia and fear.

She had a good, kind side that you don't often hear about - one of her neighbors had a newborn while one of Mary's children was still nursing, and the neighbor became very ill. When Mary heard about it she showed up to nurse the new baby - and she continued nursing the woman's baby until she was well enough to nurse it on her own.

At any rate, I would highly recommend that folks do more reading on Mary Todd Lincoln!

BarefootOkieGal Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by susalu View Post
    One of the best books about Lincoln that I have ever read was Gore Vidal's Lincoln. It's a fictionalized account of his time as president, but much of it is based in fact. VERY readable... It brings the history alive for me! Susan
    I would highly recommend two books by James L. Swanson: "Manhunt - The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer" and "Bloody Crimes - The Funeral of Abraham Lincoln and the Chase for Jefferson Davis." "Manhunt" has a very detailed account of not only Lincoln's death but the attacks on the others who had been targeted for assassination, plus lots of details about Lincoln's last hours; it also goes in-depth about John Wilkes Booth and his motivations and ideas and how they hunted him down and killed him. "Bloody Crimes" goes into detail about the Lincoln death train and the hunt and capture of Jefferson Davis. Both excellent books!

BarefootOkieGal Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnitelamp View Post
    Drs. Brown and Alexander embalmed the Pres. for $100,plus $10 a day for 16 days[presumably they touched the body up during its stops.
    They did indeed touch up the body. Although Lincoln had been embalmed, the train car in which he was carried had no refrigeration, and each day they'd touch him up with some white powder (apparently his face was turning darker as time went on) and then they'd sweep up all the excess powder and leaves and what-have-you that might have gotten into the casket with Lincoln. That was one reason they were so adamant about not allowing any photographs to be taken - there is one photo of Lincoln in his coffin, and there was a lot of fuss about it! The person who took it (I forget the man's name, but he was in charge of escorting the body safely to its destination) apologized profusely but explained that he had taken the photo at a distance, and that Lincoln's features were not clearly distinguishable, and besides Lincoln still looked pretty good when he took the photo. All the photos that he took except one were destroyed. Here is a copy of that photo - it's hard to tell exactly WHAT Lincoln looked like by this time!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lincoln.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	40133

BarefootOkieGal Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    I think his son Robert Todd Lincoln had a very interesting life.
    He should have been a death hag - not only was he present at his father's death, but he was also present when Pres. Garfield and Pres. McKinley were assassinated! Supposedly, after that he would not attend any presidential events!

BarefootOkieGal Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I'm sure it is. Why do people find it so horrible or unthinkable that Lincoln could have been Gay?
    Can it be possible that Great American Hero's from history may have been Gay?
    I forget who it was, but someone much wiser than I once commented that he did not care at all what people did in private, so long as they did not do it in public and frighten the horses...

havoc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BarefootOkieGal View Post
    They did indeed touch up the body. Although Lincoln had been embalmed, the train car in which he was carried had no refrigeration, and each day they'd touch him up with some white powder (apparently his face was turning darker as time went on) and then they'd sweep up all the excess powder and leaves and what-have-you that might have gotten into the casket with Lincoln. That was one reason they were so adamant about not allowing any photographs to be taken - there is one photo of Lincoln in his coffin, and there was a lot of fuss about it! The person who took it (I forget the man's name, but he was in charge of escorting the body safely to its destination) apologized profusely but explained that he had taken the photo at a distance, and that Lincoln's features were not clearly distinguishable, and besides Lincoln still looked pretty good when he took the photo. All the photos that he took except one were destroyed. Here is a copy of that photo - it's hard to tell exactly WHAT Lincoln looked like by this time!

It seems to me I saw a show on History Channel maybe. Reconstructing Lincoln (?) or something like that. Where they zoomed in on his face and cleaned the photo up with software. You could tell it was him alright.

Or maybe I imagined it......

Even though your pic is alot smaller it is by leaps and bounds sharper than mine. Stanton had all pictures of Lincoln lying in state destroyed he even had the negative of the man they said was Booth after the autopsy destroyed. I wonder why this is the only president who's been messed with until 1901 they kept on opening his casket, changing his casket, casket doesn't fit in the sarcofagus put him in another one, bury it underneath a pile of garbage for years until he was finally interred in cement and now they have to steal something from his monument. I've never heard anybody messing with Washingtons grave or any other dead presidents. Just Honest Abe.

BarefootOkieGal Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerseysucks View Post
    Even though your pic is alot smaller it is by leaps and bounds sharper than mine. Stanton had all pictures of Lincoln lying in state destroyed he even had the negative of the man they said was Booth after the autopsy destroyed. I wonder why this is the only president who's been messed with until 1901 they kept on opening his casket, changing his casket, casket doesn't fit in the sarcofagus put him in another one, bury it underneath a pile of garbage for years until he was finally interred in cement and now they have to steal something from his monument. I've never heard anybody messing with Washingtons grave or any other dead presidents. Just Honest Abe.
    It might be because Lincoln was president during such a controversial and divisive time - he was the subject of both love and hate, and because of the times, I think the emotions were a lot stronger than many have felt for other presidents. John Wilkes Booth hated him for freeing the slaves, and a lot of other Southerners hated him equally. I believe that because of this intense emotion, those in charge of taking care of his remains have always been a bit nervous about just leaving them be, and considering the fact that someone did try to kidnap his body, well, maybe they weren't just being paranoid!

President Abraham Lincoln's Autopsy...

http://rogerjnorton.com/Lincoln60.html

I forget who it was, but someone much wiser than I once commented that he did not care at all what people did in private, so long as they did not do it in public and frighten the horses...
    This is one of the absolute best quotes I've ever heard. Was Lincoln ever known to say the words "Frau Bleuher"? I'm sure I assassinated the spelling of the name and my deepest and sincere apologies to Mel Brooks.

Here's a real tight shot of Lincoln lying in state (hope it stays on).

Is that a booger up his nose?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I don't think it's been brought up in this thread but 2 things.

1. In the Wizard of OZ when Dorothy goes into the palace the carriage she was in pulled by the horse of many colors was Abe Lincolns personal carriage
    and is on display at the Judy Garland Museum.

2. Abe Lincoln was the first ever U.S President to be embalmed.

42. 11-20-2011, 05:00 AM

OK I'm going to channel my inner John Trim and ask a trivia question.

In the Gettysburg address Lincoln started off that famous speech with the words "Four score and seven years ago........."
    How long is four score and seven years?

navallint Guest
    87 years
    1863 - 87 = 1776

Quote Originally Posted by navallint View Post
    87 years
    1863 - 87 = 1776
    Ding Ding Ding a score is 20 years.

JudyAnn Guest
    About Mary Todd Lincoln from an uber-Lincoln nerd: according to books I have read about Mrs. Lincoln, she suffered from horrendous, debilitating headaches and was "prescribed" a liquid concoction to drink to lessen the pain. The drink was both highly addictive and caused serious mental deterioration over time, so a vicious cycle ensued. Mary would have a headache, drink her medicine, go a little crazier and continue to take more medicine to supposedly soothe herself. This regimen presumably made her caustic, angry and unpredictable and prone to odd behavior.

I can't help but think that if Mary would have had modern anti-depressants, anything else besides this horrible poison, her life would have been drastically different.

I'll come back with the name of the book I read supporting this theory AND the medicine she drank. When I told my mother about Mary drinking this, she recalled that her mom/my grandmother used to guzzle this same stuff as late as 1940-something. Found it: LAUDANUM AND IT IS AN OPIATE! HOLY HELL!

Also, Mary Lincoln herself NEVER used "Todd", according to historians. Just Mary Lincoln.
    Last edited by JudyAnn; 11-20-2011 at 10:53 AM.

He should have been a death hag - not only was he present at his father's death, but he was also present when Pres. Garfield and Pres. McKinley were assassinated! Supposedly, after that he would not attend any presidential events!
    That reminds me of Violet Jessop who was aboard the Titanic when it sank, as she was employed as a nurse by White Star Line. Titanic had 2 sister ships - Britannic and Olympic. Britannic sank when it struck an mine, and Olympic sustained damage when it struck another ship. She was also on both of these two ships when these events occured. Was rescued and survived all. Died in 1971.
    Regards,
    Tamie
    When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

I can't wait for the movie starring Daniel Day Lewis and Sally Fields.

I also love Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln at Disneyland. Walt Disney was a great admirer of Lincoln and pays tribute to him.
    Regards,
    Tamie

Quote Originally Posted by JudyAnn View Post
    About Mary Todd Lincoln from an uber-Lincoln nerd: according to books I have read about Mrs. Lincoln, she suffered from horrendous, debilitating headaches and was "prescribed" a liquid concoction to drink to lessen the pain. The drink was both highly addictive and caused serious mental deterioration over time, so a vicious cycle ensued. Mary would have a headache, drink her medicine, go a little crazier and continue to take more medicine to supposedly soothe herself. This regimen presumably made her caustic, angry and unpredictable and prone to odd behavior.

I can't help but think that if Mary would have had modern anti-depressants, anything else besides this horrible poison, her life would have been drastically different.

I'll come back with the name of the book I read supporting this theory AND the medicine she drank. When I told my mother about Mary drinking this, she recalled that her mom/my grandmother used to guzzle this same stuff as late as 1940-something. Found it: LAUDANUM AND IT IS AN OPIATE! HOLY HELL!

Also, Mary Lincoln herself NEVER used "Todd", according to historians. Just Mary Lincoln.

If I remember right in John Waynes last movie his character was prescribed Laudanum for his characters cancer. they said it was not only an opiate but it also had alcohol.
    Last edited by Jerseysucks; 11-21-2011 at 04:44 AM.

havoc Guest

That looks exactly like what they did on that show I was talking about. Fascinating....

Walt Whitman said he looked like "a Hoosier Michelangelo, (with a face) so awful-ugly it becomes beautiful, with it's strange mouth and deep cut criss-cross lines and it's doughnut complexion......."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]