Thread: Ernest Tubb

RoRo Guest

Ernest Tubb

Musician, Songwriter known as The Texas Troubadour". He had a hit with "Walking the Floor Over You." He became a member of the Grand Ole Opry and performed on the show weekly for over 40 years. In addition, he broadcast his own radio show entitled "Midnight Jamboree" after the Opry show was over. Always a multi-tasker, he also owned the Ernest Tubb Record Shop in Nashville, Tennessee. A member of the Country Music Hall of Fame, Tubb suffered from emphysema for the last 17 years of his life, finally succumbing to the disease at the age of 70.

His record store is still in operation on Lower Broadway here in (downtown) Nashville, he was a big help to Loretta Lynn in her early days...he was very generous to the up and comers.

my grandfather really loved his music. every time i come across an infomercial and i see his face i think of my grandfather.

firegilnotguns Guest
    Been to the record store many a time in Nashville...took my husband there to show him around last year (a treat for him since he didn't grow up with anything like that much in Scotland!)

My friend and I went there during our road trip thru Tennesse back in July.
    I have a photo of my friend posing next to the Dolly Parton standee (life-size cardboard photo of her).

I took pictures of the stage in the back of the store, and of course bought some souvenirs while I was there.

Also got photos outside of the store and of Tootsie's Orchid Lounge across the street - where back in the days of GOOD country music, Patsy Cline and all the rst would slip in for a beer or two after performing at the Ryman (which was right around the corner).

We went into Tootsie's, but it was packed full and a band was playing in there - really loud. All the walls in there are covered with photos of country stars. It's also a really small bar!

It was cool being in there, thinking about Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline and all the rest handing out there at one time.

Anyway, Ernest Tubbs Record shop is directly across the street from there!

sluffman Guest

My father

We buried my father yesterday and while looking through old pictures we
    found an 8 x 10 of dad with Melba Montgomery and Jack Greene performing at the the Earnest Tubb record shop on the Midnight Jamboree.
    It was probably early sixties.He knew a lot of musicians back then and it
    was just cool because I never had seen this picture.
    We used it in his video at the funeral.
    I really miss him.
    His name was "Charlie Who" Sisson if anyone remembers him.
    Charlie Who became his stage name.