Thread: Buck Owens

RoRo Guest

Buck Owens

Country Music Singer, Composer, Entrepreneur. He was born Alvis Edgar Owens Jr. in Sherman, Texas to a sharecropper family of ten. They mirrored the mythical family in "The Grapes of Wrath." Caught up in the Dust Bowl, a weather phenomena which plagued the Southwest portion of the US in the twenties, Alvis then eight and the rest of the family with their meager possessions headed west. Home happened where the car broke down which was Mesa, Arizona. The youngster would quit school at thirteen to work in the fields. He had acquired a cheap mandolin learning to self play by listening to the radio and then did the same with the guitar and other instruments. At age sixteen, he was performing in clubs and on the radio.
    After signing a contract with Capitol Records in 1957, Owens was on his way to become America's top country singer in the 1960's. He formed his own band, "The Buckaroos." He wrote many of his own hits and composed several songs popularized by other singers, such as "Cryin' Time" recorded by Ray Charles. During his career, Buck would have 45 songs in the country Top-10 and numerous number one hits..."I've Got a Tiger by the Tail" "Act Naturally" "Love's Gonna Live Here" "Together Again" and "Waiting' in Your Welfare Line." His schedule was grueling as Owens performed almost every night of the year. He had smash performances at Carnegie Hall, the London Palladium and the White House at the invitation of President Johnson. With Roy Clark, he would co-host the slapstick country comedy show "Hee-haw on television from 1969 to 1986 while simultaneously performing in a syndicated television series "Buck Owens' Ranch Show." He had varied business enterprises concentrated in Bakersfield and Arizona...from real estate, television and radio stations to his Bakersfield's jewel, a nightclub called "Buck Owens' Crystal Palace" where he performed regularly. His health began to wain after being diagnosed with cancer in 1993, pneumonia in 1997 and a stroke in 2004. He continued to perform at his Bakersfield nightclub, restaurant and museum. His last performance completed, Buck Owens would retire to his North Bakersfield ranch and pass away peacefully in his sleep from a heart attack. A public wake was held at the Crystal Palace then some 2,000 family, friends, fans and fellow performers gathered at the Valley Baptist Church in Bakersfield to bid farewell to Owens. He was interred in an elaborate above ground mausoleum at Greenlawn Cemetery, Bakersfield. A bit of unusual trivia...Still a toddler at his families Share Cropper shack in Texas, he was enamored with the family mule named "Buck." Alvis would demand to be called by the same name. His family complied and he became "Buck" for the rest of his life.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13734879_114356583576.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	622  

Kathyf Guest
    I remember I watched him on Hee Haw all the time.

Thanks for the thread. One of the greats

I saw him in 2001 in San Francisco. He opened up for Loretta Lynn. I had never seen him live before and he put on a hell of a show. Altho in between songs, you could barely understand a word he said since he mumbled - but once he started singing, whew!

My all-time favorite Buck Owens song is "Close Down the Honky Tonks".

smellslikealmonds Guest
    He is one of my favorites. I was pretty sad when he died.

I never got to see him either. I love going to his Crystal Palace Club in Bakersfield. I seen Hank Williams III there in 2002. It's has a museum of country music in it. Behind the bar they have one of Elvis's Cadillac's mounted on the wall. It's a pretty amazing place.

I saw him perform once in San Jose. He was a great composer and a wonderful showman.
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Danny62 Guest
    I hated "Hee Haw", my parents watched it all the time.

But I did watch when either Buck or Roy came on! I liked them both!

Shhhhh, don't tell my family!!!

ScottyMonger Guest
    Buck has alot of friends and fans here in Austin. Every year, the Continental Club holds a Buck Owens Birthday bash. If you only know of Buck from his time on Hee Haw, then you missed out on a great performer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjIeqCe9f3A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG4VO_cV-7M

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

havoc Guest
    I'm just south of Sherman, TX.

They renamed, I believe, Highway 82 - The Buck Owens Freeway. I'll have to snap a pic for you guys.

rickenbacker Guest
    I actually think it's a shame that people only know him from Hee Haw. Buck really went against the Nashville establishment early on. Everything in country music was glossy, lots of strings. Here comes Buck with his Bakersfield sound...totally against the grain. Twangy, and even a hint of (shock!) Tex-Mex from time to time. Back when Buck had his own TV show, it was introduced with "Buck Owens and the Buckaroos, playing their American music". Here's a vid that hasn't been pulled yet, Tiger By The Tail. That would be the late Don Rich on lead guitar and harmony vocal. Dig that Fender Palomino Buck is playing. I need one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcS0Gp-Z5oA

FiestyGal Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathyf View Post
    I remember I watched him on Hee Haw all the time.
    I did too, LOL. Crazy show, very funny. RIP, Buck!

Auntie Vi Guest
    He always looked happy. In Loretta Lynn's 2nd biography she tells about his crush on her.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacker View Post
    I actually think it's a shame that people only know him from Hee Haw. Buck really went against the Nashville establishment early on. Everything in country music was glossy, lots of strings. Here comes Buck with his Bakersfield sound...totally against the grain. Twangy, and even a hint of (shock!) Tex-Mex from time to time. Back when Buck had his own TV show, it was introduced with "Buck Owens and the Buckaroos, playing their American music". Here's a vid that hasn't been pulled yet, Tiger By The Tail. That would be the late Don Rich on lead guitar and harmony vocal. Dig that Fender Palomino Buck is playing. I need one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcS0Gp-Z5oA
    Yep he fought the packaged sound quality of country music of the times. In later years he had a quite the collaberator and friend in Dwight Yokham. Dwight is another guy that refuses to fit the standard country mold.
    I always liked Buck. The Beatles had a big hit covering one of his songs "They're Gonna Put me in the Movies".
    Regards,
    Mary

rickenbacker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    Yep he fought the packaged sound quality of country music of the times. In later years he had a quite the collaberator and friend in Dwight Yokham. Dwight is another guy that refuses to fit the standard country mold.
    I always liked Buck. The Beatles had a big hit covering one of his songs "They're Gonna Put me in the Movies".
    Regards,
    Mary
    Not to nitpick, it's just that my head is full of all the details!

That song is "Act Naturally", and was written by Johnny Russell (who had a hit on his own with 'Rednecks, White Socks and Blue Ribbon Beer'). Here's Buck and Ringo together...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHeRq6DdxHE

STsFirstmate Guest

That song is "Act Naturally", and was written by Johnny Russell (who had a hit on his own with 'Rednecks, White Socks and Blue Ribbon Beer'). Here's Buck and Ringo together...

Not nitpicking at all!! The correct composer and title needs to be credited! I always loved the song and George playing that Rockabilly lead guitar!
    Thanks for the clip and the correction! Great memories! I loved Red Necks, White Socks and Blue Ribbon Beer. My parents had a country bar in Saint Martins Ohio and it was a heavily played juke box favorite!

Regards,
    Mary

LeeLee Guest
    Actually, "Act Naturally" was written by Johnny Russell and Voni Morrison. Just to set the records straight. Great song.

hey hey hey, you forgot to mention that the tavernkeep is Vic Tayback! Nice vid, Rick!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Wow, that was some huge-open-mouthed-but-totally-straight-bromance greeting. (爆)~RaRa

rickenbacker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by herekittykitty View Post
    hey hey hey, you forgot to mention that the tavernkeep is Vic Tayback! Nice vid, Rick!!
    I never noticed that!! You're all right kitty, I don't care what anyone else says!

Bidmor Guest
    The death of Don Rich took a lot out of Buck and the act never was the same again nor as good.

I never noticed that!! You're all right kitty, I don't care what anyone else says!
    (((Snort))) I don't know, Rick. She peeped in my window not long ago.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    Thanks for the thread. One of the greats
    I'm not even a country fan but Buck Owens rocked.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    I hated "Hee Haw", my parents watched it all the time.

But I did watch when either Buck or Roy came on! I liked them both!

Shhhhh, don't tell my family!!!
    My daddy had to watch Hee Haw every Saturday night, but I really loved it when Buck and Roy did the Pickin n Grinnin bit. Those boys had it goin on.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

rickenbacker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    She does that to me all the time. I just wave. Sometimes with my hand...

Sorry to threadjack! I bet ol' Buck would laugh though.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Right. Tell Nabo to move over to the left a little bit. He's blocking my view. Thanks luv.

She does that to me all the time. I just wave. Sometimes with my hand...
    Rick, thanks to my LASIK surgery and that Hubble-grade magnification lens you kindly hooked up to yer window, I have an excellent view! Kinda tired of the Wonder Woman cosplay get-up tho. hint hint.

Sorry to threadjack! I bet ol' Buck would laugh though.
    Right, sorry all around. Loooooved Buck Owens. I'm sure there's another thread on the man, bc I posted the lyrics to "Tiger by the Tail" on it when he died. Like Danny, I loved me some pickin' and grinnin'. Why, I'd often do that while watching Hee-Haw! BAW HAW!

ahem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Wow, that was some huge-open-mouthed-but-totally-straight-bromance greeting. (爆)~RaRa