Thread: Frankie Laine

RoRo Guest

Frankie Laine

Singer, Actor. Born Francesco Paolo LoVecchio in Chicago, Illinois to Sicillan immigrants, he was a popular singer of the 1940s and 1950s who is best known for his recording of the theme song for the 1960s television series "Rawhide", and the title song for the 1957 film "Gunfight at the O.K. Corral". After making his movie debut in the 1949 film "Make Believe Ballroom", Laine's other credits included "Sunny Side of the Street" (1951), "Meet Me in Las Vegas" (1956), and "He Laughed Last" (1956). His television credits include "The Nat King Cole Show", "Toast of the Town", and "What's My Line?". Laine's other hits songs include "Moonlight Gambler", "I Believe", "Mule Train" and "Cool Water". He died in Feb. 2007 of complications from hip replacement surgery in San Diego.

poppie Guest
    Saw him in concert and he was past his prime. But, no matter - it was enjoyable to spend a few hours with him. In between songs, he was selling his CassssSettts.

ST Moron Guest
    Don't forget he performed the theme to Blazing Saddles, too.

Apparently Mel Brooks neglected to tell him the movie was a comedy. So Frankie gave it everything he had. Brooks reportedly felt awful that Laine poured in heart and soul into the theme song for a comedy. ¬_¬

knightstemplar22 Guest
    Think he also sang "The Man who shot Liberty Valance" and maybe the Theme to "High Noon" This guy had a set of pipes!

Vintage_Vixen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by knightstemplar22 View Post
    Think he also sang "The Man who shot Liberty Valance"
    "TMWSLV" was sung by Gene Pitney.......(and apparently by a few other people as well!! )
    Burt Bacharach and Hal David later wrote a song based upon the plotline of the movie and called "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance", which became a Top 10 hit for Gene Pitney but was not used in the film. Apparently, Pitney was not asked to record it until after the film came out.[SIZE=2][4][/SIZE] The chorus of the Pitney recording features two hard strikes on a drum in order to represent the shots that were fired. Jimmie Rodgers also recorded the song, in the Gene Pitney style. James Taylor covered the song on his 1985 album That's Why I'm Here. The Royal Guardsmen also covered the song on their 1967 album Snoopy vs. the Red Baron.