Thread: Grandpa Jones

RoRo Guest

Grandpa Jones

Real name..Louis Marshall Jones
    Co-star of the long-running Hee Haw television show. Grand Ole Opry member since 1947. Country Music Hall of Fame Member since 1978.
    Cause of death: Complications from a series of strokes

He was great at country humor..I will always remember the Hee Haw skit of "What's for supper grandpa?"

Jaxxx Guest
    Black-eye peas, with cornbread on the side and a big glass of sugar tea, yum-yum.

knothere Guest
    he lived across from stringbean

Kathyf Guest
    i am sorry to say I never cared for him.

Cadence71 Guest

I have to admit, although I'm sure it's totally uncool. I loved Hee Haw. Not because it was clever, but because my grandpa and I watched it together all the time. Good memories.

Tracyb24 Guest
    I loved Hee Haw and would watch it now if I could. Great memory from childhood.

trose Guest
    I always loved the "Hey Grandpaw, what's for supper" bits.

Me too

Quote Originally Posted by Tracyb24 View Post
    I loved Hee Haw and would watch it now if I could. Great memory from childhood.

I feel the same way. We watched that one regularily when I was a kid. I am from Canada so I watched Tommy Hunter too.

Somewhere twixt San Antonio & Corpus Christi
    Jones started using the Grandpa persona when he was 22 or 23 years old, allegedly (according to his Wiki article) a man named Bradley Kinkaid who worked at a Boston radio station with Jones, started calling him grandpa because of his off-stage, morning grumpiness.

Here are a few photos of the evolution of Grandpa Jones.

A selection Grandpa Jones tunes found on youtube:
    Night Train To Memphis
    Mountain Dew
    Old Rattler
    8 More Miles To Louisville Grandpa with his wife Ramona in the background on guitar from around 1957
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

American Progress

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ima Sikfuk View Post
    Jones started using the Grandpa persona when he was 22 or 23 years old, allegedly (according to his Wiki article) a man named Bradley Kinkaid who worked at a Boston radio station with Jones, started calling him grandpa because of his off-stage, morning grumpiness.

Here are a few photos of the evolution of Grandpa Jones.

A selection Grandpa Jones tunes found on youtube:
    Night Train To Memphis
    Mountain Dew
    Old Rattler
    8 More Miles To Louisville Grandpa with his wife Ramona in the background on guitar from around 1957
    If you remember his best friend on the show, the comedian String Bean was murdered during the run of Hee Haw. If I remember correctly they were supposed to go fishing together and Jones found the bodies.
    Wickipedia:
    On a Saturday night in November 1973, the Akemans returned home after performing a show at the Grand Ole Opry, and were shot dead upon their arrival. Thieves had lain in wait for hours. The Akemans' bodies were discovered the following morning by neighbor and fellow performer Grandpa Jones (Louis Marshall Jones).
    A police investigation into the double homicide resulted in the conviction of cousins John A. Brown and Marvin Douglas Brown, both of whom were 23 years old at the time of the murders. At trial, it was revealed that the two had ransacked the cabin and then killed "Stringbean." Estelle shrieked when she saw "Stringbean" hit with the bullets. A few moments later, after begging for her life, she was gunned down as well. The Tennessee Court of Criminal Appeals described the scene, "Upon their return, Mr. Akeman spotted the intruders in his home and evidently offered some resistance. One of the Brown cousins fatally shot Mr. Akeman, then pursued, shot and killed Mrs. Akeman. At their trial, each defendant blamed the other for the homicides." Brown v. State, unpublished decision at 1991 WL 242928.
    The thieves left with nothing more than a chain saw and some guns. In 1996, twenty-three years after their murders, $20,000 in cash was discovered behind a brick in the chimney of the Akemans' home.
    Regards,
    Mary

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    COOLIO!!! Man, you might be a redneck if you went with your "Mamaw" to see Grandpaw Jones...*Howie raises her hand*

I am a HEE HAW junkie...Go figure right? I love me some Grandpa...He was a faboulous entertainer...He kinda looked like my real Papaw...He brings back so many great memories for me...We used to sing "Mountain Dew" around the house...Music was a big part of life...We had three channels and two didn't work so well...

Never knew that about the money in the chimney!!! Thanks for sharing that!

BruiserBrody Guest
    They were leaving that Sunday Morning to go "Quail Hunting" in West Virginia....Stringbean and his wife lived across the way from Grandpa and Ramona...When Grandpa pulled up and saw NO SMOKE coming out of the chimney..he knew something was wrong...He found the bodies...He had tried for YEARS for String to quit carrying around all that money...He FLASHED IT TO EVERYBODY he saw...and Grandpa worried that this would might get him killed...Even Estelle had a large amount of Cash on her...It was tucked into her bra..and String had a large amount of Cash on him...It was in another part of his overalls...Where the killers didn't look...Read the book.."THE STRINGBEAN MURDERS"...It tells exactly what happend...

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BruiserBrody View Post
    They were leaving that Sunday Morning to go "Quail Hunting" in West Virginia....Stringbean and his wife lived across the way from Grandpa and Ramona...When Grandpa pulled up and saw NO SMOKE coming out of the chimney..he knew something was wrong...He found the bodies...He had tried for YEARS for String to quit carrying around all that money...He FLASHED IT TO EVERYBODY he saw...and Grandpa worried that this would might get him killed...Even Estelle had a large amount of Cash on her...It was tucked into her bra..and String had a large amount of Cash on him...It was in another part of his overalls...Where the killers didn't look...Read the book.."THE STRINGBEAN MURDERS"...It tells exactly what happend...
    Bruiser thanks for the info on the book! Also something like 20 years after the murders they found 20K in moldy bills hidden in the chimney of the house. They were children of the depression and country bank failures. Kinda of a less quiant idea during these times.
    Regards,
    Mary

havoc Guest
    I watched Hee Haw as a kid. Mostly for the Hee Haw Honeys. Some of those chicks were uber-hot!

BruiserBrody Guest
    Jan Howard who was a fixture at the Grand Ole Opry for years said..."Grandpa Jones came to me and said..."TALK TO HIM ABOUT PUTTING HIS MONEY IN A BANK"...Everyone who knew String tried to get him to put his money in the bank...But being a child of the depression he didn't trust them...String had his own "SECURITY SYSTEM" set up...He had a piece of twine or small rope across the steps...If the ROPE was down...he knew somebody was in the house or had been there...He had a 22. pistol and told Estelle to wait in the car...String APPARENTLY went in firing...But the cousins got the drop on him and killed him..They then chased Estelle across the field and killed her....Between String and his wife they had over 5,000 dollars on them!...He had 3,182 dollars in a zippered pouch on his overalls...She had 2,150 dollars in her bra...That was a HUGE SUM OF MONEY in 1973!....They lived in a little 4 room house...Bedroom, Bathroom, Kitchen and Den....They only thing would SPLURGE on was a NEW CADILLAC....And he was so tight...He wouldn't change all eight spark plugs at once...Just one at a time!...Get the book...THE STRING BEAN MURDERS...It is a fascinating look at what went on....It definitely changed the way the Country Music stars lived in Nashville after that...Everybody wasn't that eager to have the "TOUR OR THE STARS" come by their homes and to say that SECURITY was beefed up was an understatement...
    Last edited by BruiserBrody; 02-25-2009 at 07:14 PM.

RaRaRamona Guest

I saw Grandpa Jones a few years before he died. He was performing at the Ohio State Fair in a small Country Music show in a local radio's pavilion. He put on a good show, but bless his heart, he was almost totally deaf.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    I will always remember the Hee Haw skit of "What's for supper grandpa?"
    Hey Grandpa, whats fer supper?

"Polk Sallet 'n cornbread, sweet to the bite,
    home grown Irish taters, mashed up just right.
    Ham-hocks 'n pintos piled up high,
    an' fer dessert, some sweet apple pie!"

Yum-yum!

Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    If you remember his best friend on the show, the comedian String Bean was murdered during the run of Hee Haw. If I remember correctly they were supposed to go fishing together and Jones found the bodies.
    Wickipedia:
    On a Saturday night in November 1973, the Akemans returned home after performing a show at the Grand Ole Opry, and were shot dead upon their arrival. Thieves had lain in wait for hours. The Akemans' bodies were discovered the following morning by neighbor and fellow performer Grandpa Jones (Louis Marshall Jones).
    A police investigation into the double homicide resulted in the conviction of cousins John A. Brown and Marvin Douglas Brown, both of whom were 23 years old at the time of the murders. At trial, it was revealed that the two had ransacked the cabin and then killed "Stringbean." Estelle shrieked when she saw "Stringbean" hit with the bullets. A few moments later, after begging for her life, she was gunned down as well. The Tennessee Court of Criminal Appeals described the scene, "Upon their return, Mr. Akeman spotted the intruders in his home and evidently offered some resistance. One of the Brown cousins fatally shot Mr. Akeman, then pursued, shot and killed Mrs. Akeman. At their trial, each defendant blamed the other for the homicides." Brown v. State, unpublished decision at 1991 WL 242928.
    The thieves left with nothing more than a chain saw and some guns. In 1996, twenty-three years after their murders, $20,000 in cash was discovered behind a brick in the chimney of the Akemans' home.
    Regards,
    Mary
    The p.o.s. Brown (the surviving murderer) remarked, "I didn't mind killing Stringbean, but I kinda hated killing his wife."
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett