Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Karen Carpenter

VSA Guest
    I wasn't a huge fan of the Carpenters but that TV movie still sends chills up my spine. The Karen Carpenter story? She always looked so sad in pics-a haunting quality in her voice as well. Her brother Richard definitely has that creepy vibe about him. It was truly evident that she was always the star and he was just second fiddle to her.

Quote Originally Posted by VSA View Post
    It was truly evident that she was always the star and he was just second fiddle to her.
    I have to agree. Without Karen, his career pretty much died along with her.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickedkitten View Post
    We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one because that is getting into issues for an entirely different thread
    I will agree ..but I also agree that if you don't share the same blood it is not incest.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Then you are in the minority because it is sick shit.

If a person has to marry/have sex with someone in their own family rather than choose one of the millions that ARE NOT family members, there are issues beyond what we can go into here.

Step siblings having sex and getting married? Another sick issue. Check the bible on what it says about that.

Kids from people who are related by blood do not all have birth defects. They have a higher chance, but many go on to NOT have anything wrong with them at all.

Does that make it right?

Hell no.

The bible does not say anything about adoption. Anyway I don't rely on a book that has been rewritten 900 times by men.

Having sex with anyone in your family blood, step, adopted or other is as wrong as the day is long.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Just read this and wanted to explain why I thought it was selfish..To me this was her final resting place..she deserves to be left in peace..and for all we know..and I'm not saying I know.. she may have said that was the place she wanted to be buried. I firmly believe that noone should be disturbed from their final resting place..and after all it was his choice to move..what if he decides to move again? will he up and dig up the whole family again?
    Well I personally disagree. I am moving first husband as he is in a military section of the cemetary and I cannot put my daughter in with him. If I want them to be together I have to move my husband. If I had the money I would build a nice mausoleum and move the whole family to it. I don't think he would get a permit to move the family again. You cannot just move them at a whim.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickedkitten View Post
    When did I say its ok to marry your brother/sister/cousin? Here, I'll cut and paste what I actually said so you can stop trying to put words in my mouth

We actually had a case in the UK not that long ago where a brother and sister who hadn't grown up together ended up meeting, falling in love, and had sex together. Do I think they should be allowed to marry? No.

There is also the case in Australia where the Father met his daughter after 30 years and they ended up having two kids together, one of whom died not long after it was born. Do I think they should be allowed to marry? Hell no. The very fact that she actually said in an interview that she sees him as a man first and her father second is enough to make me throw up in my mouth a bit but I see both of those cases completely different from someone marrying someone that isn't actually a blood relative regardless of what the bible should happen to say about it.
    If it was against the law to marry an adopted cousin the marriage would not have taken place. They would have gone to jail. There is no chance of any deformed kids with this kind of marriage and rarely does it happen between 1st and 2nd cousins. We had a similar thing here in Ca where 2 kids grew up ,both had been adopted out at birth in another state yet.
    They met and married and they decided to find their birth parents. The sister/wide committed suicde because of the uproar over their marriage.
    Some things are better left unknown. These 2 people did nothing wrong. They had no idea they were brother and sister . If the bible thumpers had stayed out of it and not made them feel like they had committed a horrible sin maybe this girl would still be alive? They had no children.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mommafreak View Post
    What a heavenly voice she had. I'm sure she's singing in heaven with a new healthy spiritual body. I have no idea which way to go on her brother, fault, no fault, partly fault, it's just a tragic shame. If any of my 2 brothers or 1 sister even started with the anx/bul stuff, we'd jump in and get them help. How can someone who is bigger than a thin person sit there and tell them they are overweight. Like I need someone to tell me I need to loose 30 lbs. I pity the fool who does........ Anyway, just with Karen could of told her bro to shove it. RIP Karen and keep singing.

Karen was controled by the family. The mother was copntrolling and richard took after the mother. He had drug problems too. Karen did try to break away she made an album by herself and richard flipped out.
    I also read something that her ex said her parents and richard sabotaged their marriage and that they only cared about her income .

NOVSTORM Guest
    My friends grand daughter is bullimic and her shrink said that it is very often a sign of sexual molestation. I had heard that before, before it became so polular with these actresses and models. She did find out that the girl had been molested and also her own daughter..Jesus..by her husbnad,the father/grand dad..
    Now that the secret is out the girl is recovering and all 3 of them are in thearpy ,even grand ma and grand daddy is now divorced.

Glamrock Princess Guest
    I miss her. She had a unique voice.

Whenever I hear a Carpenters record now, it always makes me sad.

RaRaRamona Guest
    I am very interested to know why she was divorcing her husband if he loved her so. Why did he throw his ring into the coffin??

Um and you should never EVER have relations with your relations.

11. 04-25-2008, 09:41 AM

SquirrelNutZipper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    I am very interested to know why she was divorcing her husband if he loved her so. Why did he throw his ring into the coffin??

Um and you should never EVER have relations with your relations.

That's what I want to know - it seems the story always ends at the tossing of the ring but I never heard anything else.

And if my memory serves me correctly - he was quite attractive, no? I think I saw their wedding picture - she had about what? 15 bridesmaids? And it stayed with me that he was easy on the eyes.

Who knows though? It's been years since I saw the picture and it could be just like high school. Guys I thought were drop-dead gorgeous now have a third eye and a hump on their back. Sheesh.

[quote=RaRaRamona;235767]I am very interested to know why she was divorcing her husband if he loved her so. Why did he throw his ring into the coffin??[quote]

I think he was angry about her dying so young and needlessly. I'm pretty sure her anorexia was one of the reasons why they split up.

RaRaRamona Guest
    I read Debbie Boone's story years ago & I was struck by how her boyfriend (then husband) stuck with her through everything - even catching her eating fat out of a dog dish & repeated diarrhea in their bed.

TheFarSide Guest
    Long time lurker, first time poster.

Though I was young when Karen passed, I only now feel the magnitude of her death when I read about her. I have always like the Carpenters and I hate to say it, but I get that vibe of some ultra closeness between her and her brother. I just re-watched the Karen Carpenter movie a few days ago and I was just captivated. I had to drive by her family home in Downey (I'm very close to that city). I grew up in a neighboring city but spend countless time (still do actually) in Downey with friends and family.

To me that whole city has a Karen vibe. It's like she never left. It makes me sad.

I am just stating what is in the bible. Everyone can have their own opinion, but that is what is in the bible. Period.

My opinion is that it is sick shit. If anyone here wants to marry their brother or sister or cousin be it biologial, half, step or adopted, have at it.

That is all from me.
    Good, now STFU

Quote Originally Posted by shipmatekate View Post
    Good, now STFU
    Nice...

sunshine74137 Guest
    I did the Karen Carpenter thing when I was 21-23 My lowest weight at 5'8" was 62lbs. I'll post a pic tomorrow I don't have one here at work. When I was at my low weights I couldn't sing! thats always shocked me that even when she was at her sickest she still had that voice. Hell at that time I probably couldn't remember the words.

sunshine74137 Guest
    [quote=Aries65;239429][quote=RaRaRamona;235767]I am very interested to know why she was divorcing her husband if he loved her so. Why did he throw his ring into the coffin??

I think he was angry about her dying so young and needlessly. I'm pretty sure her anorexia was one of the reasons why they split up.
    When you are anorexic you become a terrable manupliative bitch. No Joke I have heard that psychologists hate to work with them. I know I was a monster. I lost all my friends and I deserved it. You will screw anybody and everybody over to keep doing what your doing. I think people romanticise the disease, Oh poor little anorexic, NOT!

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by shipmatekate View Post
    Good, now STFU
    Did you marry your relative too?

sunshine74137 Guest
    Did you marry your relative too?
    Yikes guys, can't we all just get along?

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine74137 View Post
    Yikes guys, can't we all just get along?
    Well, I would say that telling me to STFU is pretty harsh, would'nt you?

Well, I would say that telling me to STFU is pretty harsh, would'nt you?
    I agree, sounds as if we have a new troll on the board....

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    I agree, sounds as if we have a new troll on the board....
    I think so.

Starve!

25. 05-22-2008, 05:04 PM

26. 05-22-2008, 05:10 PM

27. 05-23-2008, 08:18 AM

28. 05-23-2008, 08:21 AM

sunshine74137 Guest
    I did the Karen Carpenter thing when I was 21-23 My lowest weight at 5'8" was 62lbs. I'll post a pic tomorrow I don't have one here at work. When I was at my low weights I couldn't sing! thats always shocked me that even when she was at her sickest she still had that voice. Hell at that time I probably couldn't remember the words.
    My Karen Carpenter Impersonation
    Last edited by sunshine74137; 05-23-2008 at 08:25 AM.

NewYorkDoll Guest
    OMG, thank goodness you got treatment. You are gorgeous now. Did you think you were fat when you looked the way you do in the photos?

You should be a public service announcement for overcoming the disease. BRAVO! KUDOS! You are lovely NOW.

sunshine74137 Guest
    I didn't really think I was fat, but I always thought I could shave off a few more lbs. I actually thought hey I am lookin good. I've always wondered if Karen had a lot of the same thoughts I did. It was kindove creepy though because I overheard my mother pre planning a funeral for me.

Smackman Guest
    Wow...

I know pictures only capture a brief instant in time, but looking at those pictures - You don't look happy. You look scared, to me.

So happy that you made it through! I'm sure that your experience will help others, if it hasn't already.

NewYorkDoll Guest
    I didn't really think I was fat, but I always thought I could shave off a few more lbs. I actually thought hey I am lookin good. I've always wondered if Karen had a lot of the same thoughts I did. It was kindove creepy though because I overheard my mother pre planning a funeral for me.

I have heard so many people say that. No matter how emaciated you are, you feel that you look pretty damned good.

Again, you are just stunning now-stay that way and don't lose a pound.

sunshine74137 Guest
    Oh you get a real supioriority complex, Let me tell ya! I wish sometimes I could time travel and see what this did to Karen's personality.

My Karen Carpenter Impersonation
    Bloody hell

I'm so glad that you got help before you ended up doing a permanent impersonation of her.

NewYorkDoll Guest
    Oh you get a real supioriority complex, Let me tell ya! I wish sometimes I could time travel and see what this did to Karen's personality.
    You get superior? What, like "I am thinner than you"?

How did you stop? Did you get treatment?

sunshine74137 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkDoll View Post
    You get superior? What, like "I am thinner than you"?

How did you stop? Did you get treatment?
    I got tossed into treatment twice, I would just yank out the feeding tube and leave. Mostly what happened there was I learned more starving tricks. after about three years I just got too tired. Somewhere in the back of my mind I knew I couldn't sustain life at 62 pounds.And I really didn't have a death wish. The only way I stopped was I made up my mind to. It went slow and I still have some phobias, I've dipped down to 95 lbs a couple of times. But mostly I'm okay, I mean what gal doesnt complain about her body. I do worry about the residuals, Like Karen, a friend of mine died at a normal weight from damage she had done from anorexia. That would suck to finally be happy and then payback time. Oh and the superior thing, I thought I was so much better, look how superhuman I am I don't have to eat and I'm just fine. I have so much more resolve than you do. I'm stronger than you. Of course I didn't say this stuff out loud. I was a huge bitch! Also a strange thing happens you stop sleeping. and you become almost manically active. And I would think look how much I can get done, I am a better worker than anyone I know. Also I would cook and bake non stop. Take the food to work or friends and think See how strong I am I'm more powerful than you I didn't even take a bite. I hear this is all common for the disease. I'm almost embarassed to tell you how awful I became.I never heard anyone say things like this about Karen but it does explain some of her husbends angry behavior.

NewYorkDoll Guest
    I got tossed into treatment twice, I would just yank out the feeding tube and leave. Mostly what happened there was I learned more starving tricks. after about three years I just got too tired. Somewhere in the back of my mind I knew I couldn't sustain life at 62 pounds.And I really didn't have a death wish. The only way I stopped was I made up my mind to. It went slow and I still have some phobias, I've dipped down to 95 lbs a couple of times. But mostly I'm okay, I mean what gal doesnt complain about her body. I do worry about the residuals, Like Karen, a friend of mine died at a normal weight from damage she had done from anorexia. That would suck to finally be happy and then payback time. Oh and the superior thing, I thought I was so much better, look how superhuman I am I don't have to eat and I'm just fine. I have so much more resolve than you do. I'm stronger than you. Of course I didn't say this stuff out loud. I was a huge bitch! Also a strange thing happens you stop sleeping. and you become almost manically active. And I would think look how much I can get done, I am a better worker than anyone I know. Also I would cook and bake non stop. Take the food to work or friends and think See how strong I am I'm more powerful than you I didn't even take a bite. I hear this is all common for the disease. I'm almost embarassed to tell you how awful I became.I never heard anyone say things like this about Karen but it does explain some of her husbends angry behavior.
    Thanks so much for be so truthful and upfront about it. Hopefully, someone will read this and gain some strength from it. My longtime BFF has what I call anorexia lite. She has never gotten below 80 lbs and usually hovers somewhere around 90. To me, it does seem like an extreme control thing. She will insist she needs to eat something right away and then will make a cup of frozen vegetables and eat two bites. She drinks lots of water. Tiny portions of oatmeal and frozen veggies are the only things I have seen her eat in about 20 years. She says she cannot eat any more than she eats or her stomach gets upset---I am not buying it but at this point in life, I suppose she will do whatever she wants to do.

sunshine74137 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkDoll View Post
    Thanks so much for be so truthful and upfront about it. Hopefully, someone will read this and gain some strength from it. My longtime BFF has what I call anorexia lite. She has never gotten below 80 lbs and usually hovers somewhere around 90. To me, it does seem like an extreme control thing. She will insist she needs to eat something right away and then will make a cup of frozen vegetables and eat two bites. She drinks lots of water. Tiny portions of oatmeal and frozen veggies are the only things I have seen her eat in about 20 years. She says she cannot eat any more than she eats or her stomach gets upset---I am not buying it but at this point in life, I suppose she will do whatever she wants to do.
    just my opinion but do you see what is going on she is leading you into an eatinfg situation only to not eat. she is doing the supiror thing. look I only took two bites, i'm so strong. the best thing to do for her is let her know you care but then disenguage. The more attention I could get the more it sustained. And the I just can't It makes me sick is one of those tricks I learned. Classic. your smart you will help her most by "not buying it"

NewYorkDoll Guest
    just my opinion but do you see what is going on she is leading you into an eatinfg situation only to not eat. she is doing the supiror thing. look I only took two bites, i'm so strong. the best thing to do for her is let her know you care but then disenguage. The more attention I could get the more it sustained. And the I just can't It makes me sick is one of those tricks I learned. Classic. your smart you will help her most by "not buying it"
    Interesting, your insider take on this. I would have never come to that conclusion but now that you have brought to the table (), it makes a lot of sense. Now that I think about it more, it really is a huge control thing.

When we were teenagers, she was the only one with a car and so she was always the driver for all our fun times. But if she was not having fun, the party was over and she would drop up all off at home early or we would be left wherever we were, trying to finagle a ride from someone eventually. Her not having enough fun was usually boy related.

Snudgie Guest
    Wow, sunshine...those pics are quite shocking...so glad you got help in time....you really are beautiful!

sunshine74137 Guest
    I read Debbie Boone's story years ago & I was struck by how her boyfriend (then husband) stuck with her through everything - even catching her eating fat out of a dog dish & repeated diarrhea in their bed.
    It was Cherry not Debbie. I read that book too. STRANGE family.

Sam Guest
    I'm glad youre better now!
    You really are a VERY VERY pretty woman!

sunshine74137 Guest
    Thanks Sam, i don't know if you mean the thin pic's or the avatar, there's about a 40lb difference. I thought I was pretty then (sick). Now I don't ever really feel pretty, but I am happy, and happy is pretty in it's own way.

sunshine, i admire your courage, and your proactive approach to recovery! good for you!
    pull the string!

hall Guest
    Thank you for the Todd Haynes Superstar link! I have been trying to get a copy of that for years!

Layla331 Guest
    very brave sunshine..thank you!!

Thanks Sam, i don't know if you mean the thin pic's or the avatar, there's about a 40lb difference. I thought I was pretty then (sick). Now I don't ever really feel pretty, but I am happy, and happy is pretty in it's own way.

Sunshine, you should feel pretty. I think you are anyway!! As my favorite gay friends always tell me "girl, fake it til you make it." If you're happy on the inside, your outside will shine!!!!!

Edited to add: however, if that tan is REAL, better stay out of the sun or skin cancer will do things that anorexia never did!!!! Be healthy!!

sunshine74137 Guest
    I do have sun damage, At that time I tanned a lot it was the only time I felt warm. I also grew a coat of fine fur, It's the bodys way of trying to sustain warmth. The fur disapears once the body is at a healty weight.

I do have sun damage, At that time I tanned a lot it was the only time I felt warm. I also grew a coat of fine fur, It's the bodys way of trying to sustain warmth. The fur disapears once the body is at a healty weight.
    We do all sorts of things to ourselves when we're young, don't we? I still think you're beautiful and should always think of yourself that way!!!! And, if the need should arise, please keep in mine that I've got about 20 pounds I could donate to you at any given moment.

51. 06-08-2008, 02:25 AM

52. 06-08-2008, 04:28 PM

sunshine74137 Guest
    Thanks for all the kind words, I Think your right about the media, I always had issues with food but when it all really surfaced when I was doing some runway modeling in chicago. I'm sure I had a predisposition for anorexia but I think the pressure to stay super thin was the trigger. Plus I hated it, I was not a very good model. When i walked thy just prayed I'd make it back without tripping over my own feet. this made me perpetually anxious. Now for a funny story, I was at a very low weight A gust of wind picked me up and blew me onto the street where I got stuck to the front of a bus. The winds force was holding me there. The bus driver was looking down at me like get the f--- off of my bus lady. A man finally figured out why there was a lady hugging a bus and peeled me off but the whole thing had to be a funny sight

WTF!

A BUNCH of teens and pre-teens need to read this thread, and see those pics. I have heard that it was one of the hardest things to overcome, because you have to deal with food all your life and eat to survive. Unlike smoking, drinking, drugs, and a host of other disorders where you can stop completely and live.

sunshine74137 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lulubaines View Post
    A BUNCH of teens and pre-teens need to read this thread, and see those pics. I have heard that it was one of the hardest things to overcome, because you have to deal with food all your life and eat to survive. Unlike smoking, drinking, drugs, and a host of other disorders where you can stop completely and live.
    it is always there, worse in times of stress, But ( this may sound crazy) I use weight watchers when I see trouble comming. WW teaches proper portions. It works not only for people who overdo their portions but also underdo. A recovering bulemic girlfriend turned me on to this. It helps keep me realistic. Most of all I remember what a selfish spoiled brat I was.

sunshine74137 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KMKSouthie2001 View Post
    Sunshine, I admire your courage and applaud your recovery-- you look great and are beautiful, both outside and inside. As a person who is recovering from Anorexia Nervosa myself, I have always felt a kinship with Karen Carpenter. I could go on for ages about the role that the media plays in perpetuating and encouraging unrealistic bodily ideals for people, especially vulnerable and impressionable youth as I myself was when I was battling with Anorexia, but I feel the effort is quite moot. Karen's death is a prime example of how the media proliferates and distorts the perception of "beauty", Karen was in the media limelight for a number of years-- suffered scrutiny both from the media and because of it, and said tribulations, along with the underlying emotional motivations that fuel eating disorders, ultimately proved to bring about her death.
    I understand your kinship with Karen carpenter, I have a lead sister Tee shirt. I won't get rid of it, but it's used now for pro aneorexics. They call themselves sisters, the red bracelet thing, and so the tee has come to stand for that. I bet that would not make Karen very happy!
    Last edited by sunshine74137; 06-08-2008 at 05:39 PM.

58. 06-09-2008, 12:17 AM