Thread: Robert Young - Marcus Welby, MD

MIZIZVOGUE Guest

Robert Young - Marcus Welby, MD

I love that show! In January, I bought the entire series on DVD. Do any of you know if Robert Young was still drinking when he died?

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MIZIZVOGUE View Post
    I love that show! In January, I bought the entire series on DVD. Do any of you know if Robert Young was still drinking when he died?

I heard he had stopped drinking years before he died!

MIZIZVOGUE Guest
    Well, I was reading that he was seriously depressed. That made me wonder if he went back to the bottle before he died.

Danny62 Guest
    Well, I was reading that he was seriously depressed. That made me wonder if he went back to the bottle before he died.

Hmmmm...well that may be. I know he battled depression, Migraines and he had two daughters who went thru messy divorces!! I guess that really hit him hard.

Remember the Sanka coffee commercials???

ST Moron Guest
    I love that show! In January, I bought the entire series on DVD.
    If you're a Robert Young fan, you owe it to yourself to check him out in a movie he made: Crossfire (1947).

Please believe me when I tell you that the super-cool hard-boiled detective he plays in that movie leaves his "Marcus Welby" character in the shade.

I'd always thought of Robert Young as a sappy, "father-figure" type. But after watching that movie: respect!

Check it out...

LutherHeggs Guest
    great Robert Young story I heard from an "insider" who knew The Youngs

Robert Young and his wife were big drunks

one time they were gonna commit suicide together in their garage with the hose from exhaust pipe etc / carbon monoxide -- the whole thing

so they get in car and it won't start

Robert Young in his drunken logic calls AAA for a jump start
    the dude arrives and calls 911 immediately.

Apparantly he always kept his awards / emmys in a closet
    he had no pride in his career and was quite a depressed man and sad lush.

Bellfire Guest
    I heard he had stopped drinking but I heard from a secret source that he was in a mental facillity to treat depression for some time.

AlicePearceandSandraGould Guest
    He died from the affects of Alzheimers well into his nineties....
    I understand that his grandchildren lived nearby and were an integral part of his life in his last years...

ST Moron Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LutherHeggs View Post
    Robert Young and his wife were big drunks
    I don't know how this is going to sound, but: I think it's cute when both husband and wife are roaring drunks.

Jokers Wild!

MIZIZVOGUE Guest
    I think one of the reasons that Robert Young was so successful as Dr. Welby was that he had gone through so much pain in his life himself that he could really draw on that emotionally in his acting.

relander Guest
    An alcoholic that lives for 91 years! Whoa, that brakes some records right?

RoRo Guest
    I loved Marcus Welby M.D....I wish TV Land would start showing it again.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by relander View Post
    An alcoholic that lives for 91 years! Whoa, that brakes some records right?
    I thought he sobered up when he did those Sanka decaffinated coffee commericals...anyone else remember those or am I just Old!!

LupeVelez Guest

Father Knows Best.

To hell with Mucus Welby, Father knows best was his crowning acheivement

onehunglow Guest

FNB

He was not the most fun man to be around. Like der bingle when the camera went off so did he. We need to find a shrink as a member.

MIZIZVOGUE Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeVelez View Post
    To hell with Mucus Welby, Father knows best was his crowning acheivement
    Actually, I don't think he could do the depth of character in Father Knows Best.

Kathyf Guest
    My Mom used to make me pick which night a week to stay up late. I had to choose Medical Center or Marcus Welby. I hated that.

MIZIZVOGUE Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathyf View Post
    My Mom used to make me pick which night a week to stay up late. I had to choose Medical Center or Marcus Welby. I hated that.
    You CAN purchase both Marcus Welby, MD and Medical Center on DVD. However, you must purchase them from a company in Canada.

ClickDVDShows :: Medical Center - The Complete TV Series on DVD

Nicki Guest
    Loved him in both Marcus Welby MD and also Father Knows Best. Went to a Boris Karloff Festival a couple of years ago in San Francisco. They played a very old Boris Karloff movie and Robert Young played his son. It was called "The Guilty Generation" 1931.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0021932/ Boris was a Mobster and Robert was his innocent son. Actually it was very good.

Pamebabby Guest
    I really liked him on Marcus Welby. Does anyone know if he was as mean as he was rumored to be? I remember reading somewhere he was a real nasty guy, but he never came off that way on screen.

Fancynancy Guest
    Marcus Welby MD--I loved that show! Tuesday nights, I think!

Bidmor Guest
    Young began his film career in 1928.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001870/

crazedfemale Guest
    I loved both Father Knows Best and Marcus Welby. James Brolin was such a hunk!
    BTW, the house used on MW, MD was the same house used on Leave it to Beaver!

MIZIZVOGUE Guest
    I liked Robert Young best in Marcus Welby. Did you know that Farrah Fawcett had a very tiny role in one of the episodes?

78 Cobra II Fan Guest
    Marcus Welby M.D. is shown on RTV (Retro TV Network ) I am watching it right now love this show .

ShockDoc Guest
    I never heard he wasnt a nice guy, but was a very private person, and just wasnt as 'sunny' as his parts on TV. I think he was similar to Dick Van Dyke, a VERY private person. There are a lot of great interviews w/ dozens of 50s/60s/70s TV stars on youtube under the search ARCHIVE TELEVISION INTERVIEW. During Van Dyke's interview at one point when he thinks the camera is off, he drops the sunny facade and looks very annoyed. That was an eye opener.

Nicki Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by crazedfemale View Post
    I loved both Father Knows Best and Marcus Welby. James Brolin was such a hunk!
    BTW, the house used on MW, MD was the same house used on Leave it to Beaver!
    James Brolin is still a Hunk!

JacksTiger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockDoc View Post
    I never heard he wasnt a nice guy, but was a very private person, and just wasnt as 'sunny' as his parts on TV. I think he was similar to Dick Van Dyke, a VERY private person. There are a lot of great interviews w/ dozens of 50s/60s/70s TV stars on youtube under the search ARCHIVE TELEVISION INTERVIEW. During Van Dyke's interview at one point when he thinks the camera is off, he drops the sunny facade and looks very annoyed. That was an eye opener.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Robert Young and his wife reportedly were alcoholics. I remember reading something about a suicide attempt in the Enquirer back in the 1980's. Similarly, I believe DVD also had his issues with alcohol.

bethj99 Guest
    did any of his four daughters did any acting?

Robert Young and his brother Joe had issues. Joe was established in picture work, starring in comedies for Sennett and Universal long before Bob came around. Joe is the guy who punched Larry Fine in the mouth in Three Little Pigskins and knocked Larry's two front teeth out in real life.
    Joe may have resented Roberts eventual eclipse of him professionally, or maybe it was Robert's drinking, already legendary in the 1930's, that caused them to drift apart. Joe changed his name from Joe Young to Roger Moore. He went to live in Hawaii to get away from Robert and the brothers never spoke for over 35 years until Joe's death in the 1980's.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

bethj99 Guest
    did Robert have any other siblings apart from joe,thanks

JacksTiger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    James Brolin is still a Hunk!
    Hopefully, he won't get fat. Then he would go from Hunt to Chunk.