Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HiFi Murders, Ogden, Utah

ReluctantDeathHag Guest

HiFi Murders, Ogden, Utah

The HiFi murders in Ogden Utah was the moment I became a "death hag". I was only 5 when I heard about it but it still rocks me to the core to this day. Does anyone recall or remember anything about these murders?

Never heard of it. What happened?

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    I'm interested too.

Danny62 Guest
    Oh I remember that sooo well!! Making them drink Drano!!!

Sick!!!

IT was big news here in Salt Lake. I know they executed one of the guys a few years back!
    Last edited by Danny62; 01-04-2008 at 03:30 PM.

Danny62 Guest

ReluctantDeathHag Guest
    You can read all about the Hi-Fi Murders here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi-Fi_Murders

SanDiegodeathhag19 Guest
    thats just awful!! pen in the ear?????????? ohhhhhhhhhh the horror!!

Jenny Mulhenny Guest
    Damn. Just, holy fucking shit. I didn't think any crime story could shock me anymore, but that's nightmare fodder fo sho.

The Gary Kind book on this case - "Victim" - was the first true crime book I ever read. I've been hooked ever since.

P~

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantDeathHag View Post
    The HiFi murders in Ogden Utah was the moment I became a "death hag". I was only 5 when I heard about it but it still rocks me to the core to this day. Does anyone recall or remember anything about these murders?

natbrat76 Guest
    I lived in the Ogden, UT area at the time when I was a kid. Freaky stuff!

poppie Guest
    I well remember this tragedy. I will never get used to how cruel people can be to other humans. Three airmen from Hill Air Force Base robbed the hi fi store and killed three people; two others survived. Pierre Dale Selby, William Andrews and Keith Roberts were the airmen's names. Selby also raped the youngest female before he killed her by shooting her in the head. All three airmen were tried for murder, but Roberts was convicted only of robbery. He was paroled in 1987. Selby was executed in August 1987;Andrews in July 1992. Gary Kinder wrote a book about the murders-VICTIM:THE OTHER SIDE OF MURDER. In 1991, Richard Chamberlain and Michael Learned did a TV movie titled AFTERMATH:A TEST OF LOVE.

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantDeathHag View Post

Knew nothing about it until I just researched it after seeing it here. Thanks very much.

Daphne Guest
    I had never heard about this .. how awful!! thank you for the link that describes it..

ApricotRoses Guest

Hi Fi murders

I'm no novice to true crime, I read it CONSTANTLY. But I have to say that this particular crime and movie really freaked me out.

How horrific. Absolutely sickening. And so unnecessary. Couple of freakin' creeps. May their murderous souls burn in hell.

HelenaHandbasket Guest
    I hadn't heard of this one before now. I just read the Wiki article and I'm sick now. Talk about vile and horrific. I don't get, and I most likely never will, why people who already have the upper hand need to kill other people. These jackasses could have robbed the place and left the victims alive. Killing them didn't help them go undetected now did it? The Drano bit was more than I can take. My God, what an awful thing to do to another human being.

Daphne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HelenaHandbasket View Post
    I hadn't heard of this one before now. I just read the Wiki article and I'm sick now. Talk about vile and horrific. I don't get, and I most likely never will, why people who already have the upper hand need to kill other people. These jackasses could have robbed the place and left the victims alive. Killing them didn't help them go undetected now did it? The Drano bit was more than I can take. My God, what an awful thing to do to another human being.
    I agree, horrific

don't_axe_me Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by VeuveClicquotNJ View Post
    The Gary Kind book on this case - "Victim" - was the first true crime book I ever read. I've been hooked ever since.

P~
    "Victim" was my first true crime book too, besides "Helter Skelter". It was just horrific.

lisalouver Guest
    Holy cow, I had never heard of this until just now.

What horrible, horrible men. I hope they are burning for all eternity.

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by don't_axe_me View Post
    "Victim" was my first true crime book too, besides "Helter Skelter". It was just horrific.
    Me, three. The book was so sad.

Hi-Fi Murders

Thought this had a thread. I guess not.

Hi-Fi Murders

The so-called Hi-Fi Murders was an infamous criminal case involving murder, torture, rape and robbery which occurred in the Hi-Fi Shop in Ogden, Utah on April 22, 1974.
    The crimes were committed by 19-year-old United States Air Force airmen Dale Selby Pierre and William Andrews. While in prison, Pierre changed his name to "Pierre Dale Selby," and twenty-six other names, reportedly to protect his family name from notoriety, though he was known throughout his state trial and appeals as Dale Selby Pierre[1]. Pierre and Andrews took five people hostage, killed three of them, and left the two who survived with horrific injuries.
    Following a trial, both men were found guilty and sentenced to death. The NAACP campaigned to commute Pierre's and Andrews' death sentences but eventually failed.

[edit] The robbery, rape, and murders

Pierre and Andrews entered the Hi-Fi store in Ogden just before closing time, brandishing handguns. Two employees, Stanley Walker, age 20, and Michelle Ansley, age 19, were in the store at the time and taken hostage. Pierre and Andrews took the two into the basement of the store, bound them, and then began robbing the store. Later, a 16-year-old boy named Cortney Naisbitt arrived to thank Walker for allowing him to park his car in the store's parking lot as he ran an errand next door. He was also taken hostage and tied up in the basement with Walker and Ansley. Later that evening, Orren Walker, Stanley's 43-year-old father, became worried that his son had not returned home. Orren arrived at the store and was also taken hostage; at this point, Ansley began begging and crying, as did Cortney Naisbitt.
    After Orren was taken to the basement, Pierre ordered Andrews to go out to their van and bring him back something. Andrews returned with a bottle in a brown paper bag, from which Pierre poured a cup of blue liquid. Pierre ordered Orren to administer the liquid to the other hostages, but he refused, and was bound, gagged and left face-down on the basement floor. Just then, Carol Naisbitt, Cortney's 52-year-old mother, entered the store looking for her son. Carol was taken to the basement, bound, and placed next to her son.
    Pierre and Andrews then propped each of the victims into sitting positions and forced them to drink the liquid, telling them it was vodka laced with sleeping pills. Rather, it was liquid Drāno. The moment it touched the hostages' lips, enormous blisters rose, and it began to burn their tongues and throats and peel away the flesh around their mouths. Ansley, still begging for her life, was forced to drink the drain cleaner too, although she was reported to have coughed less than the other victims (by Mr. Walker). Pierre and Andrews tried to duct-tape the hostages' mouths shut to hold quantities of drain cleaner in and to silence their screams, but pus oozing from the blisters prevented the adhesive from sticking. Orren Walker was the last to be given the drain cleaner, but seeing what was happening to the other hostages, he allowed it to pour out of his mouth and then faked the convulsions and screams of his son and fellow hostages.
    Pierre became angry because the deaths were taking too long and were too loud and messy, so he shot both Carol and Cortney Naisbitt in the backs of their heads. Pierre then shot at Orren Walker but missed. He then fatally shot Stan Walker before again shooting at Orren, this time grazing the back of his head.
    Pierre then took Ansley to the far corner of the basement, forced her at gunpoint to remove her clothes, then repeatedly and brutally raped her, after telling Andrews to clear out for 30 minutes. When he was done, he allowed her to use the bathroom while he watched, then dragged her, still naked, back to the other hostages, threw her on her face, and fatally shot her in the back of the head.[2]
    Andrews and Pierre noted that Orren was still alive, so Pierre mounted him, wrapped a wire around his throat, and tried to strangle him. When this failed, Pierre and Andrews inserted a ballpoint pen into Orren's ear, and Pierre stomped it until it punctured his eardrum, broke, and exited the side of his throat. Pierre and Andrews then went upstairs, finished loading equipment into their van, and departed.

[edit] Investigation

The victims were discovered almost an hour later when Orren's wife and other son came to the store looking for them. Orren's son heard noises coming from the basement and broke down the back door while Mrs. Walker called the Ogden police. Stan Walker and Ansley were already dead; Carol Naisbitt lived long enough to be loaded into an ambulance, but was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital. Although Cortney was not expected to live, he did survive, albeit with severe and irreparable brain damage, and required hospitalization for 266 days before being released. Orren Walker survived, although with extensive burns to his mouth and chin, as well as the damage to his ear caused by the pen.
    Hours after news of the crime broke, an Air Force officer called the Ogden police and told them that Andrews had confided in him months earlier, "One of these days I'm going to rob that hi-fi shop, and if anybody gets in the way, I'm going to kill them." Hours after that call was received, two teenage boys dumpster diving near Hill Air Force Base where Pierre and Andrews were stationed discovered the victims' wallets and purses, and, recognizing the pictures on the drivers' licenses, called the police. A crowd of Airmen quickly formed, including Pierre and Andrews. The detective who responded to the scene, believing that the killers might be in the crowd, put on a show, speaking dramatically and waving each piece of evidence in the air with tongs as he removed them from the dumpster. He later noted in his report that out of all the Airmen gathered around the dumpster, most of whom stood still and watched in relative silence, two in particular paced around the crowd, spoke loudly, and made frantic gestures with their hands. The detective later identified these two Airmen as Pierre and Andrews. The detective later received an award from the Utah branch of the Justice Department for his use of proactive techniques.
    Based on Pierre's and Andrews's reactions to the evidence being removed from the trash bin, and the officer's implication of Andrews, Andrews and Pierre were taken into custody and a search warrant was issued for their barracks. Police found fliers for the hi-fi shop and a rental contract for a unit at a public storage facility. Police obtained a warrant for the storage unit, where they discovered several pieces of stereo equipment which were later identified from serial numbers as having been taken from the hi-fi store. During the course of removing the equipment from the storage unit, detectives discovered the half-empty bottle of Drano that had been used on the hostages. Based on this evidence Pierre and Andrews were formally charged with the crimes.
    A third person, Keith Roberts, who had waited outside the hi-fi shop in a car, was also charged with robbery.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

[edit] Trial

Pierre, Andrews and Roberts were tried jointly for first-degree murder and robbery. Pierre and Andrews were convicted of all charges and sentenced to death. Roberts was convicted only of robbery and was sentenced to imprisonment. He was paroled in 1987.
    During the trial, it was revealed that Pierre and Andrews had robbed the store with the intention of killing anyone they came across, and in the months prior to the robbery had been looking for a way to commit the murders quietly and cleanly. The two then repeatedly watched the film Magnum Force, in which a prostitute is forced to drink Drāno and is then shown immediately dropping dead.[2][3] Pierre and Andrews decided that this would be an efficient method of murder and decided to use it in their crime.
    Survivor Orren Walker was the star witness for the prosecution. Cortney Naisbitt was too ill to testify. However his father, Dr. Byron Naisbitt, did testify.

[edit] Aftermath

Following the issuing of death sentences, the NAACP demanded that Pierre's and Andrews' sentences be removed, claiming that Pierre and Andrews had been unfairly convicted since they were both black, and the victims and jury were all white. Andrews was quick to accuse the judicial system of racism following the NAACP's request for reduced sentences, and in an interview with USA Today, he claimed that he had never intended to kill anyone; this was later rebutted when detectives cited a statement by Andrews in which he admitted being the one to purchase the drain cleaner and bring it to the store on the night of the killings.
    Pierre and Andrews became notoriously hated prisoners, even amongst the black population. They were particularly reviled on death row, especially by convicted murderer Gary Gilmore (also facing capital punishment and imprisoned at the same facility), whose final words to his fellow inmates before being taken to face the firing squad were, "I'll see you in Hell, Pierre and Andrews!" Gilmore is reported to have laughed at Pierre and Andrews as he passed by their cells.
    Despite movements by the NAACP and Amnesty International to overturn the court's decision, Pierre and Andrews were both put to death by lethal injection, Pierre on August 28, 1987,[4] Andrews five years later on July 30, 1992.
    The Hi-Fi Murders are still considered as among the worst crimes ever committed in the state of Utah. The case is now taught to FBI trainees at the FBI Academy at Quantico, Virginia, and it was included as a sample case in the FBI's Crime Classification Manual.
    Cortney Naisbitt's story became the basis for the book Victim: The Other Side of Murder by Gary Kinder. This book was viewed by many as pioneering because it was one of the first true crime books that focused on the victims of a violent crime rather than the criminals.
    Cortney was able to return to school more than a year after the incident, and he graduated with his Ogden High School class in 1976. Due to the brain damage from his head wound, however, he was forced to drop out of college, and because he could not hold down a job, had to apply for social security assistance. Cortney suffered chronic pain for the rest of his life, until his death on June 4, 2002 at the age of 44.[5]
    Orren Walker, the other victim who survived the brutal attack, died on February 13, 2000 at the age of 69.[6]
    The incident was also the basis for a 1991 CBS Television movie called Aftermath: A Test of Love, starring Richard Chamberlain and Michael Learned.
    The location of the murders has since been torn down, and the shop relocated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

never heard of this! great post

malaki Guest
    Brutal....Just thought of having to drink that Drano makes my throat sore...

I saw this movie a few years ago. it is brutal!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Frazzzld Kat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by malaki View Post
    Brutal....Just thought of having to drink that Drano makes my throat sore...
    I agree. Also, the thought of a pen being stomped into your ear made me a little squeemish (sp?) as well.

The gang from M*A*S*H* contributed to the effort to save the killers.

Liberal Hollywood has its priorities.

carebearsluv Guest
    Yikes! How horrible. Glad they were punished.

I can't believe that the NAACP tried to save these punks from death. I couldn't care less what color a person is, if they committed cold blooded murder, they deserve to die.

I read the book. It was horrible.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I read the book. It was horrible.

Ooo do you remember the name?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Victim was a very good book. The Drano thing still bothers me.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

My_Smiling_Skull Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxster View Post
    The gang from M*A*S*H* contributed to the effort to save the killers.

Liberal Hollywood has its priorities.

Ouch... damn and that's one of my favorite shows.

That bit about the pen in the ear made me a bit peaky too... Good deal putting them both down. Why can't the NAACP stand for National Association for Advancement of ALL People??

Wouldn't that make more sense

Nerak Guest
    I'm left in utter awe at what these monsters did to their victims...incomprehensible....

The descriptions in the book of Cortney's injuries was really horrifying. The lye in the Dran-o basically ate his esophagus out of his throat.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Nerak Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    The descriptions in the book of Cortney's injuries was really horrifying. The lye in the Dran-o basically ate his esophagus out of his throat.
    god almighty....I can't even imagine the pain of that....

My_Smiling_Skull Guest
    It's only sheer imagination and I can't get close to what pain that must have been

My youngest son was 2 1/2 when got some drain opener in his mouth, thankfully he didn't swallow any, but he was in enough pain that he wouldn't even take the water the ER doctor tried to give him. He refused to eat and would barely drink for a couple days.

pvezz Guest
    I read it twice. So tragic. This is truly one of the most horrific crimes I've ever read about.

Sodapop Guest
    I've heard this story before and every time I read something about it, I'm horrified to think of the agony and terror these people were subjected to.

Great thread.

There are no pics of the victims anywhere, or at least I can't find any.

Anyone have any links?

Sodapop Guest
    Cortney Naisbitt

I used to drive past the Hi-Fi Shop when we lived in Ogden in the early 90's. Just know what happened there creeped me out. I never went in there. I didn't know there was a movie about this case, Miho, do you remember what it's called? My mom sent me the book "Victim" to read while we lived in Ogden, but I was a lot more squeamish then and never read it.
    Just drink lots of Kool-Aid, and take one of these blue pills three times a day.

Shano Guest
    So out of the 5 only 2 survived and they have died since.

What they did to that poor 16 year old girl!!! And you have to be some kind of evil to not only think of stomping a pen into someones head but to actually do it?!! And the NAACP wanted them to walk free?!?! WTF!!!!

No compassion whatsoever. The survivors were haunted for the rest of their lives and you have to figure that their early deaths were contributed to that night.

Don't know how accurate this is (it was in the movie) but the guy who walked into the store (the one who lived) was in the hospital for months and his family never told him that his mother had died. They didn't want it to effect his recovery so he spent that entire time thinking his mom was alive, but just hurt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lolomac Guest
    It is so scary that chance can put you in these situations. Did the other prisoners hate them for their crimes or other reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by lolomac View Post
    It is so scary that chance can put you in these situations. Did the other prisoners hate them for their crimes or other reasons?

I would guess a bit of both. These guys were just evil.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ShatteredMirror Guest
    I've read it also. Fairly brutal stuff and the account of Cortney's lifelong struggle against constant pain and suffering as a result of the crime was particularly moving and very sobering.

If you haven't read it, then do.

Wow, I'd never heard of this either. How terrible!! The draino!! And I have to admit the pen in the ear made me gasp, and I can usually take anything. Thank god those bastards were put to death.
    Thanks for posting this!

STORMIE Guest
    I had never heard of this crime. The drano thing is just tooooooo much. The pen thing bothered me too. In my hometown back in the mid 80's two people broke into a home belonging to an elderly lady. They robbed her, beat her, and for some reason took a sharpened pencil and poked it into ear and out of her cheek. WHY?????? She actually survived the attack.

Wow. Never heard of this before. I just got back from Ogden visiting relatives.

Crabby Appleton Guest
    I read the Kinder book back when it first came out, what a horrible crime.

The Kinder book was also one of my early true crime books. It gave me nightmares, and I still cannot abide even looking at Drano.

I was sad to see in the Wiki entry that Cortney Naisbitt had died in 2002 at only 44. That poor guy-he suffered so horribly.

I hope Pierre and Andrews have all their orifices filled with Drano for eternity!