Thread: Frank Capra

RoRo Guest

Frank Capra

Legendary motion picture director, writer, and producer of the 1920s, 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s. Three-time Oscar winner for his direction on the timeless classics "It Happened One Night" (1934), "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town" (1936), and "You Can't Take It with You" (1938). He also directed the 1946 holiday classic "It's a Wonderful Life," among many other great films. An American icon.

Jaxxx Guest
    What a great man, the everyman's man. He gave to the movie world what Charles Dickens gave to the book world. Must have had the best heart!!!!!!!

mcconk2 Guest
    don't forget Lost Horizon....

Kathyf Guest
    I Love "Lost horizon" I just bought a new DVD last Christmas

radiojane Guest
    I read somewhere (I think in the James Stewart bio) that the reason Wonderful Life gets played constantly, is that when Capra was in a personal and financial crisis that wrecked his own producing company, he accidently let the copyright lapse and it fell into the public domain. Am I right?

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    I read somewhere (I think in the James Stewart bio) that the reason Wonderful Life gets played constantly, is that when Capra was in a personal and financial crisis that wrecked his own producing company, he accidently let the copyright lapse and it fell into the public domain. Am I right?
    You are indeed! wonderful director.

tarsier Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxx View Post
    What a great man, the everyman's man. He gave to the movie world what Charles Dickens gave to the book world. Must have had the best heart!!!!!!!
    I got the impression his daughter wouldn't agree with this statement. She worked at a local university forever when her Dad came up conversationally she said all he right things but you could see her tense up. Maybe she was just tired of it but it struck me how her body language totally contradicted her words.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    He did a fantastic job on It's A Wonderful Life. My favorite Christmas movie and one of my top 5 favs of all time!

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by beatlebaby4 View Post
    He did a fantastic job on It's A Wonderful Life. My favorite Christmas movie and one of my top 5 favs of all time!
    I agree - great all time classic

Long Gone Day Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tarsier View Post
    I got the impression his daughter wouldn't agree with this statement. She worked at a local university forever when her Dad came up conversationally she said all he right things but you could see her tense up. Maybe she was just tired of it but it struck me how her body language totally contradicted her words.
    Apparently he was a crappy father and nothing like the male characters in his movies. I think his son mentioned this in an interview?

guardmom2008 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by beatlebaby4 View Post
    Same here Beatle, my fav Christmas movie too.