Thread: Matthew Eappen

RoRo Guest

Matthew Eappen

I still think this woman killed the baby...anyone else think so?

Matthew Eappen was killed by his nanny, Louise Woodward, a British au pair who was convicted of second-degree murder for having shaken him violently. The trial brought to light an unregulated business, in-home nanny care, i.e. untrained people hired to help care for children while their parents are both working for a living. Born in Boston, Massachusetts, the only child of Doctors Sunil and Deborah Eappen, both physicians, he was left in the care of a British au pair, Louise Woodward, then age 19 years. On February 4, 1997, Louise called police to report the baby was having trouble breathing. Reponding paramedics discovered that young Matthew had a two and half inch skull fracture. He was placed on life support, but died five days later, on February 9. An autopsy also revealed that in addition to the skull fracture, Matthew had a month-old wrist fracture. The autopsy indicated that Matthew had died from massive bleeding inside his skull, apparently from a combination of extraordinary violent shaking and severe contact with a hard flat surface. Woodward confessed to police that she had shaken the baby, dropped him on the floor, and once had thrown him into his bed. On October 30, 1997, the jury convicted her of second-degree murder, which carried a mandatory sentence of life in prison, with the possibility of parole after fifteen years, and the next morning, Woodward was so sentenced. Several days later, her attorney, Barry Scheck, filed a three part motion to either: set aside the verdict and dismiss the case, set aside the verdict in favor of a new trial, or to reduce the charge to simple manslaughter. To the surprise of the general public, Judge Hiller Zobel reversed the jury??s verdict, citing a lack of malice by Woodward and reducing the finding to manslaughter, and sentencing Woodward to time served. This verdict allowed Woodward to leave jail immediately, and she quickly returned to her home in England. Surprisingly, a split decision by the Massachusetts Supreme Court affirmed the judge??s jury reversal. Later the Eappens sued Woodward in a wrongful death civil lawsuit, which Woodward defaulted on. Woodward spent a total of 279 days in jail, and at last report (late 2004), was working as a lawyer in England. Judge Zobel defended his decision by claiming that ??the circumstances in which the Defendant acted were characterized by confusion, inexperience, frustration, immaturity and some anger, but not malice.? Frustrated by her inability to quiet the crying child, she was a little rough with him, under circumstances where another, perhaps wiser, person would have sought to restrain the physical impulse.

Sock Puppet Guest
    I watched the trial, and I was deeply disappointed when the verdict was overturned.

The odd thing was, I developed a little sympathy for Louise Woodward from watching the trial. The Eappens were taking advantage of her. Rather than being an au pair, she was more like the house slave. When she wasn't caring for the baby, she was expected to be doing housework or other chores for the Eappens. She wasn't given time to go out and see the US, which was part of her reason for deciding to hire out as an au pair. Since the arrangements were indeed illegal, she was paid far less than a professional, experienced nanny would have been---and an experienced professional would have worked no more than 10 hours a day, maximum. In addition, since the Eappens decided to be cheap about child care, Louise was not trained or screened to make sure she could handle her responsibilities. It was the equivalent of hiring the neighbor kid down the street to run your entire household by herself.

It doesn't excuse what she did, but it might explain why she snapped and shook the baby to death.

GODDESS6 Guest
    i was always torn on this one, because during the trial injuries were talked about that couldn't have been done by woodward~ the parents seemed more concerned about their careers than being parents at times~ it is just sad all the way around~

i am a daycare provider, i have been for 20 years, 9 of which i have done in my home~ my 1st year i watched a little girl who was shaken & even tho she hadn't been in my care for the past 3 weeks (she was on vaca w/ her young parents) i was the 1st one they accused, she didn't die thankfully, she recovered & was taken away from her parents, but initially they came & accused me, even tho the dates didn't jive & i have NEVER had anyone, be dissapointed or suspicious of my care~ the investigators automatically assumed it had to be me, why would her parents do such a thing?~ i took a polygraph & passed & all the parents of children i watched over the years rallied for me~ the father didn't pass & finally confessed to shaking her several times out of the mother's sight during their 3 week vacation~ i was never more thankful in my life~ i mean what if he shook her till death, would i be in jail?~ the cops were trying so hard to pressure me into saying i did something to this little girl, i mean it was literally something out of a nightmare movie~ i wouldn't cave to them i had nothing to hide, but they were so sure i did~ & you know what, when the father finally confessed, only one of the officers apologized to me for what they put me thru~ you know i was a young mother at the time, my son was only 8 months & they kept telling me, they were going to take him away, & that i did this, i was so messed up over this~ i almost gave up my line of wrk to, but i decided that i am good at what i do, kids are my business & i wasn't going to let them ruin me~

the little girl was adopted & i have seen her from time to time in our local walmart, she is now 9~ i never say anything to her, but i am so happy that she is alive & well~

I always thought it was a case of "shaken baby" and that she likely had done it. So, I guess that would be involuntary manslaughter. I never got the impression either of the parents had done it. I don't think she _meant_ to do it, but I think she was responsible.

Darrianne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by amaranthaseven View Post
    I don't think she _meant_ to do it, but I think she was responsible.
    Exactly. Anyone with the common sense and compassion of a gnat would know not to shake or hit or do anything else to a baby, wouldn't they?

I say she got off way too easy.

Kathyf Guest
    I think she did it too.

Krissypoo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GODDESS6 View Post
    i was always torn on this one, because during the trial injuries were talked about that couldn't have been done by woodward~ the parents seemed more concerned about their careers than being parents at times~ it is just sad all the way around~

i am a daycare provider, i have been for 20 years, 9 of which i have done in my home~ my 1st year i watched a little girl who was shaken & even tho she hadn't been in my care for the past 3 weeks (she was on vaca w/ her young parents) i was the 1st one they accused, she didn't die thankfully, she recovered & was taken away from her parents, but initially they came & accused me, even tho the dates didn't jive & i have NEVER had anyone, be dissapointed or suspicious of my care~ the investigators automatically assumed it had to be me, why would her parents do such a thing?~ i took a polygraph & passed & all the parents of children i watched over the years rallied for me~ the father didn't pass & finally confessed to shaking her several times out of the mother's sight during their 3 week vacation~ i was never more thankful in my life~ i mean what if he shook her till death, would i be in jail?~ the cops were trying so hard to pressure me into saying i did something to this little girl, i mean it was literally something out of a nightmare movie~ i wouldn't cave to them i had nothing to hide, but they were so sure i did~ & you know what, when the father finally confessed, only one of the officers apologized to me for what they put me thru~ you know i was a young mother at the time, my son was only 8 months & they kept telling me, they were going to take him away, & that i did this, i was so messed up over this~ i almost gave up my line of wrk to, but i decided that i am good at what i do, kids are my business & i wasn't going to let them ruin me~

the little girl was adopted & i have seen her from time to time in our local walmart, she is now 9~ i never say anything to her, but i am so happy that she is alive & well~
    How horrible. Truly a nightmare.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I knew two au pairs from the UK one year. They're young and generally not trained. I think the program is intended more for the children to be a little older. You don't stick a baby with an 18 year old you don't even know who has no training, that's just dumb. The ones I knew were basically slaves as well, they only got one day a week off and had to work like at least 18 hours a day the other 6 days.

Do you notice or are you aware of any after effects of her being shaken? I've heard it can cause permanent damage.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

stacebabe Guest
    This story is local to me. I remember driving through Cambridge one day, and I saw the parents in a car next to me at a stop light (this was shortly after the trial and the verdict) and my heart ached for them.

Matthew, if I remember correctly, was around 7 months old. By then the skull is fairly formed, so it took ALOT of damage to do what happened to that child - not like a newborn.

Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    I still think this woman killed the baby...anyone else think so?

Matthew Eappen was killed by his nanny, Louise Woodward, a British au pair who was convicted of second-degree murder for having shaken him violently. The trial brought to light an unregulated business, in-home nanny care, i.e. untrained people hired to help care for children while their parents are both working for a living. Born in Boston, Massachusetts, the only child of Doctors Sunil and Deborah Eappen, both physicians, he was left in the care of a British au pair, Louise Woodward, then age 19 years. On February 4, 1997, Louise called police to report the baby was having trouble breathing. Reponding paramedics discovered that young Matthew had a two and half inch skull fracture. He was placed on life support, but died five days later, on February 9. An autopsy also revealed that in addition to the skull fracture, Matthew had a month-old wrist fracture. The autopsy indicated that Matthew had died from massive bleeding inside his skull, apparently from a combination of extraordinary violent shaking and severe contact with a hard flat surface. Woodward confessed to police that she had shaken the baby, dropped him on the floor, and once had thrown him into his bed. On October 30, 1997, the jury convicted her of second-degree murder, which carried a mandatory sentence of life in prison, with the possibility of parole after fifteen years, and the next morning, Woodward was so sentenced. Several days later, her attorney, Barry Scheck, filed a three part motion to either: set aside the verdict and dismiss the case, set aside the verdict in favor of a new trial, or to reduce the charge to simple manslaughter. To the surprise of the general public, Judge Hiller Zobel reversed the jury??s verdict, citing a lack of malice by Woodward and reducing the finding to manslaughter, and sentencing Woodward to time served. This verdict allowed Woodward to leave jail immediately, and she quickly returned to her home in England. Surprisingly, a split decision by the Massachusetts Supreme Court affirmed the judge??s jury reversal. Later the Eappens sued Woodward in a wrongful death civil lawsuit, which Woodward defaulted on. Woodward spent a total of 279 days in jail, and at last report (late 2004), was working as a lawyer in England. Judge Zobel defended his decision by claiming that ??the circumstances in which the Defendant acted were characterized by confusion, inexperience, frustration, immaturity and some anger, but not malice.? Frustrated by her inability to quiet the crying child, she was a little rough with him, under circumstances where another, perhaps wiser, person would have sought to restrain the physical impulse.

susalu Guest
    i watched this on court tv... i thought she was guilty too.... i think part of me wanted to think that the parents wouldn't do anything like that to their own flesh and blood... now i am less sure... i know it happens all the time...

at my work the lady janitor lost her granddaughter at the hands of her daughter's asshole boyfriend... he shook her, then said he fell down the stairs carrying her... he is now in jail... poor woman... she practically raised that little one as her own... she was just starting to laugh and smile... bastard...

GODDESS6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeofEvil View Post
    Do you notice or are you aware of any after effects of her being shaken? I've heard it can cause permanent damage.
    i have never spoken to her, just observed her, she seems to be a typical 9 yr old, but i am not w/ her in everyday life, i hope that she has no after effects~

i do know both her biological parents were militarty & shortly after they lost custody of her, they were both transfered & have since hasd another child~ that to me is disturbing~

Harrietd Guest
    i have never spoken to her, just observed her, she seems to be a typical 9 yr old, but i am not w/ her in everyday life, i hope that she has no after effects~

i do know both her biological parents were militarty & shortly after they lost custody of her, they were both transfered & have since hasd another child~ that to me is disturbing~
    Did either of the parents ever sat anything in the way of an apology to you?

GODDESS6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrietd View Post
    Did either of the parents ever sat anything in the way of an apology to you?
    not at all, i only saw them a few times in their car driving & they would always turn their head~

Mammy Guest
    Ugh, is there anything more heartwarming than a pregnant baby killer? I hope that poor baby is mild mannered and doesn't cry much.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/12/01/death-...child-4209452/

Louise Woodward is now a mother - just don't make her angry - you won't like her when she's angry.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...olly-time.html
    Last edited by cash; 01-19-2014 at 07:15 PM.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Louise Woodward is now a mother - just don't make her angry - you won't like her when she's angry.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...olly-time.html
    I don't like her when she's angry or otherwise. She killed little Matthew and got away with it. If I had been a juror in her trial, I would have been pissed after they sentenced her to fifteen years and it was reduced to 279 days. What's the point of making people be jurors and sit through the trial and look at the evidence if their verdict is going to be disregarded anyway?

Well I'm glad she was able to get on with her life...............................................

Now I'm pissed. I should probably stay off this website after a long day at work.

Mammy Guest
    Did you see her picture in that link? She's dressed like a homeless person. It must make the Eappen's ill to know she has her own child now. I hope her baby doesn't have colic.

weirdgurl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    I don't like her when she's angry or otherwise. She killed little Matthew and got away with it. If I had been a juror in her trial, I would have been pissed after they sentenced her to fifteen years and it was reduced to 279 days. What's the point of making people be jurors and sit through the trial and look at the evidence if their verdict is going to be disregarded anyway?
    I could not agree more.

Interestingly enough, I had jury duty today at Woburn Superior Court, and the court officer overseeing my jury pool was on that case, and mentioned she was starting a family. He had some choice things to say about her and her defense team. Apparently, they all treated her "like a princess" and the court employees "like shit". He doesn't think too highly of her, in other words. It seems like the coverage in the UK was a lot more favorable to her. Certainly around Boston she did not look particularly sympathetic or likeable in the press.