Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hartford Circus Fire's Little Miss 1565

Broomfield,Colorado. Originally from Meriden, CT.
    OMG! I just Google Earth'ed it! I typed in 350 Barbour St, the address of the Wish School. The field where the circus was, is still there, behind the school! It also looks like, from comparing the map in the book to the Google image, that most of the houses on the map, surrounding the field are still there! Amazing!
    Here's what the area looks like today:
    Last edited by "What Tha....?"; 06-03-2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: added image
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

I had heard about this sad event quite some time ago but never really got into researching it. Now because of this amazing thread, not only will I have to order the book "Circus Fire" but I'll be up all night reading everything I can find on the internet.
    Thanks, Death Hags! I love your posts!

I know right where that is. Ill try to hit it this weekend.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

A blog about the Hartford Circus fire. Excellent! The power of the internet rules!
    In years past an online radio station in Hartford used to broadcast the news report about the fire, as it was happening live, every July 6th. I believe it was WTIC 1080AM. They were the first radio station on the scene of the fire. I need to email the program director soon, to see if they'll be rebroadcasting again this July 6th. Last year I didn't email in time for him to remember. Hopefully, I'll have better luck this year. If so, I'll post the link to the online radio station and you all can listen on this July 6th, about what happened 67 years ago.
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

Correction, the online radio station that broadcasts the program about the Hartford circus fire every year, is the University Of Hartford's online station, WWUH. I just emailed the program director to find out if they plan to air it again, this July 6th. They did air it last year. Here's a link that tells about last year's broadcast. Unfortunately, it is only the description of the broadcast, not the actual broadcast itself. Let's hope they re-air this program again this year!

http://www.wwuh.org/index.php?q=0034...o-recollection

If the weather holds out for me I am going to take pictures tomorrow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ok it rained all weekend. Going to give it another shot this weekend.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Western gal Guest

Audio?

Quote Originally Posted by "What Tha....?" View Post
    Correction, the online radio station that broadcasts the program about the Hartford circus fire every year, is the University Of Hartford's online station, WWUH. I just emailed the program director to find out if they plan to air it again, this July 6th. They did air it last year. Here's a link that tells about last year's broadcast. Unfortunately, it is only the description of the broadcast, not the actual broadcast itself. Let's hope they re-air this program again this year!

http://www.wwuh.org/index.php?q=0034...o-recollection

I wonder if the radio station would be willing to create an youtube audio clip so people wouldn't have to wait for one day a year to hear it?

Quote Originally Posted by Western gal View Post
    I wonder if the radio station would be willing to create an youtube audio clip so people wouldn't have to wait for one day a year to hear it?
    You know I didn't even think about that. I think they should. Why not? Everything's on youtube these days!
    The only thing I can think of that would stop them from putting the program on youtube is possibly copyright issues. They are using audio from a different radio station (WTIC 1080AM) that was the radio station on the scene back in 1944. I don't know if both WWUH and WTIC are owned by the same company. Maybe WTIC won't give permission to WWUH to post this program on youtube?
    BTW, I have not had a reply to my email yet, inquiring about the re-airing of the broadcast this year. Usually the program director gets right back to me. Either that or he's given up on me, because he thinks I'm a kook to want to hear this broadcast every year! I guess that's just the Death Hag in me!

Whoa Mama! While checking out Western Gal's idea about the radio broadcast of the fire, I found this on youtube. It is supposedly rare TV, that's right TV in 1944, footage of the fire:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHlB8FLqR9Q

Rosebud666 Guest
    [QUOTE="What Tha....?";1161053]You know I didn't even think about that. I think they should. Why not? Everything's on youtube these days!
    The only thing I can think of that would stop them from putting the program on youtube is possibly copyright issues. They are using audio from a different radio station (WTIC 1080AM) that was the radio station on the scene back in 1944. I don't know if both WWUH and WTIC are owned by the same company. Maybe WTIC won't give permission to WWUH to post this program on youtube?
    [/QUOTE]

The NPR member station in Kent, Ohio, WKSU, has a radio documentary about the Kent State Shootings which they broadcast pretty much every year and is also available online. It used to be in their archives, now the link leads to another site: [URL="http://www.kentstate1970.org/timeline/documentaries/2000"]http://www.kentstate1970.org/timeline/documentaries/2000[/URL]

It contains mostly original audio documents of the time, so you could mention it to the programming director at WWUH as a precedent.

Quote Originally Posted by bunny View Post
    Kind of eerie, like she's a ghost...then again the other people don't looked to freaked out either.
    Those are my principles.If you don't like them,I have others.

-Groucho Marx-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jacksmum Guest

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    Oh, flying flapjacks! If this IS real, it's the holy grail of this thread!
    It looks pretty authentic to me. You never know. Somebody could've had this film in their basement or attic for years and never realized it, till now. It's from the same guy who uploaded the "TV footage" that I posted above.
    Let's email him! We'll ask him to join the Death Hag board with us!

The person who posted all those videos on youtube, actually does have a website that is the same name as his youtube ID:
    http://www.circusfire1944.com

It is a treasure trove of information!

Wow! Looks real to me! Thanks!

Hey fellow Hags. I managed to grab some pics this weekend from the memorial. I will start uploading them this week. I want to try to map them out because they planted trees that are on the actual spots of the tent outline as well as a memorial in the center ring and a marker for the entrance. It was an AMAZING memorial.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ok here we go.. I have a ton of pics so I am not sure how to do this. I will still post them slowly and probably do a slide show on You Tube.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ok I started uploading them to my FB. I made the album public if ya'll can't view them let me know.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...5&l=c0645e5e05
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by LightoftheMoon View Post
    He only mentioned it once, when we were discussing diasterous fires. And he only said one thing, basically, "My mother was going to take me to that circus, but instead we did [insert other popular activity for toddlers].'

Which meant the rest of us opened our eyes really wide, and I mumbled, "It's a good you didn't go, 'cause you wouldn;t be here."

(And I wouldn't be here!)
    Of course, if they had attended it may have changed the time-space continuum and the fire may not have happened.

Ok I started uploading them to my FB. I made the album public if ya'll can't view them let me know.

Oh Miho! Miho! So many, many, many thanks for posting these! I've been wanting to see this memorial for a long time! May good Karma smile on you always! Tracey.

That was one cool headed cameraman!

Great photos, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    That was one cool headed cameraman!
    Yeah, I was thinking that too! I also thought "why didn't he film more of this?" Then I thought "DUH! He was too busy trying to get the ____ out of there!"

deanfan Guest
    That's very sad. I feel bad for the victims & their famlies. Especially that little girl, heartbreaking. I first heard about her on an old episode of "Unsolved Mysteries". When they showed her picture it stayed with me for a long time.
    May she rest in peace.

Miho, please tell us what it was like to be at that site. Was it a moving experience? Did you feel any "vibes" being there? I know if I was there I'd probably shed a tear or two, knowing what happend on those grounds, even if it was 67 years ago.

qulevergrrl Guest
    I don't think this was the case in the 1940's, but growing up in the 70's, I remember the circus was entertainment for the poor. Kids would tease the kids with tickets about going to nice museums and zoos for animal viewing, instead of a place that smelled like dirt and animal sh**.

Quote Originally Posted by "What Tha....?" View Post
    Miho, please tell us what it was like to be at that site. Was it a moving experience? Did you feel any "vibes" being there? I know if I was there I'd probably shed a tear or two, knowing what happend on those grounds, even if it was 67 years ago.
    The only vibes I got was when I tried to step on the center ring. I actually felt this rush of apprehension and had to step back for a minute. I still have a lot more pictures to post. The planted trees where the tent poles were to show the outline of the tent. I am trying to label them so that is why it is taking so long. I haven't noticed any orbs, but if anyone does see anything just let me know.

It was very moving. The only hard part is that it is in a really bad section of the city. So you are constantly watching your back while you are there. It is very quiet also. It is a huge field, but not once did I hear a bird or see an animal. Kinda strange.

I did get teary eyed reading the memorial stones.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Great pic....can't wait to see them all...
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

Miho, thanks for posting the pics. It was so thoughtful of you!
    Wanna see my grandkids?

Alrighty. The rest of the pictures are up. Sorry for the delay.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just want to ask everyone that if you want to use these pictures please just ask. I don't have a problem with it at all, but just give me a little shout out for it.

Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I did label the outline tent pictures. Just to give you a sense of the seating to the South it was these seats
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just note that the sign in my pictures has South listed toward the top. This one is reversed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just for a comparision
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just for a comparision
    Looking at that plaque would be eerie!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    Looking at that plaque would be eerie!

It is.. The plaque is located right where the reserved seating to the North would have been. To the side of the plaque is where the animals chutes and band stand were.

Standing there and looking around was very.. eerie isn't the right word. Perhaps somber is better. I think the only eerie part was the silence of the area.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Play connect the dots with the trees. That is the tent outline. The Entrance Marker is in the parking lot.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=350+Ba...,0.002,2.276,0
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

STsFirstmate Guest
    The only vibes I got was when I tried to step on the center ring. I actually felt this rush of apprehension and had to step back for a minute. I still have a lot more pictures to post. The planted trees where the tent poles were to show the outline of the tent. I am trying to label them so that is why it is taking so long. I haven't noticed any orbs, but if anyone does see anything just let me know.

It was very moving. The only hard part is that it is in a really bad section of the city. So you are constantly watching your back while you are there. It is very quiet also. It is a huge field, but not once did I hear a bird or see an animal. Kinda strange.

I did get teary eyed reading the memorial stones.
    Thanks for sharing these. I find your emotions at the site, especially the center ring very interesting. I really do think places hold energy.
    regards,
    mary

Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    Thanks for sharing these. I find your emotions at the site, especially the center ring very interesting. I really do think places hold energy.
    regards,
    mary

Mary the feelings surprised me too. I thought the seating areas would have been tougher to stand on, but the center ring just knocked the air out of me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

So, some of those trees were probably there, when the fire happened, right? I remember in O'Nan's book, he said some people went running through the trees to get away from the fire. He even mentioned 2 kids that camped out overnight under the trees, until they felt well enough to go home. There were some people who were looking for their loved ones that were at the circus, and when they couldn't find them, they were hoping they just got lost under the trees.
    Thanks once again for these pics, Miho! You did a great job!

tonysgirl4ever420 Guest
    Great pictures Miho...thanks for sharing!

You guys are very welcome
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Okay everybody, tomorrow is the day. WWUH will be rebroadcasting their Hartford Circus Fire news program tomorrow, from Noon to 1:30 and 8:00pm to 9:30pm Eastern time. Here's the info:
    http://www.wwuh.org/index.php?q=0043...-800-pm-930-pm

Many thanks to WWUH for their efforts to still honor the victims and survivors of the tragedy that happened 67 years ago!

I would like to know what those of you who read the O'Nan book think. Do you think the fire was started by accident, arson or were there faulty stage lights? Do you think that kid, Seeger, that was questioned and then released by the police, did set the fire like he confessed to and then recanted? What about the managers of the circus? Do you think they really needed to be arrested and taken to court? After all, using parrafin to waterproof tents back then was common practice. I've read this book several times and I still have more questions than answers. I just can't put all the facts together and come up with a definite conclusion as to how this fire specifically started. How about any of you?

I haven't read the book, but I believe it was an accident. The dropped ciggy makes a lot of sense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just finished listening to WWUH's broadcast of the circus fire. At the end of the program they had a condensed version of the victims names being read. This is the first time I've actually heard this. What struck me the most about this is the lack of variety in the ages of the victims. It was either mostly the very old or the very young who perished. From toddlers as young as 3, to adults as old as 80. Of course, there weren't many men that were of teen to young adult age, as they were off fighting in the war. Also very heartbreaking to hear the names read of 5 or 6 of the same family members that died. I just can't wrap my mind around that. Whole families wiped out, just because they wanted some fun and entertainment.

Tangle of charred corpses in circus tent's main entrance

Attachment 31112
    The victims were found burned, piled upon each other, the heat inside the canvas tent so high that reports state it was capable of crematory levels of heat.
    The paraffin pouring like water out of the overheated canvas above was liquid flame- and the people trapped inside were difficult to identify at all. Click to enlarge pic, a face is visible in the bottom right of the pile of corpses.

"What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett