Thread: Herb Brooks

Herb Brooks

Hockey Coach and Pioneer: Born in St. Paul, Brooks played hockey at the University of Minnesota, where he later coached from 1972-79, winning three national titles and left with a 167-99-18 to lead the national team. As coach of the 1980 Olympic team hockey, he led them to the "Miracle On Ice Gold Medal Victory" with a win over the highly rated Soviet Union. The gold medal, which was won in Lake Placid, New York, was maybe the most famous moment in Olympic history.

DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES? YES!!!!

The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

lisalouver Guest
    I was just mentioning old Herb so I had to look to see if there was a thread.

Poor Herb, no one commented on his thread. I remember the day it happened. I was at work and someone called to tell me that he had been killed in a car crash. Everyone at work was stunned and so sad. Herb was an icon around here. A local boy who never forgot his roots. He went to my high school's rival!

He grew up a few miles from me.

They have a statue of him near the entrance of the arena where The Minnesota Wild now play. It is of him in that great stance he took when his team won the miracle on ice.

What a great person, he is missed.