Best layered dip

1 cup mayonnaise
    1 package cream cheese
    1 cup shredded chedder and or mozza
    1 jar seafood cocktail
    2 cups cooked shrimp
    1/2 cup tomatoes, diced
    1/2 cup green onions diced

Mixed together mayo and cream cheese. spread evenly in shallow pan. layer cocktail sauce, shrimp and vegetables. top with shredded cheese. chill and serve with melba toast or crackers.

radiojane Guest
    ooh I forgot:

TURKEY DIVAN

Leftover turkey or chicken
    broccoli
    cream of celery or cream of broccoli soup 1 can
    mayo (about a cup)
    2 tsp curry powder
    cheddar cheese
    breadcrumbs or cornflakes.

layer turkey and broccoli in casserole. mix curry, mayo and soup together and pour over meat. top with breadcrumbs and cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

German style bratwurst and sauerkraut (from cooksrecipes.com)

[SIZE=-1]Sandwich Recipes[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Sauce & Condiment Recipes[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Seafood & Fish Recipes[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Sidedish Recipes[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Soup & Stew Recipes[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Special Diets Recipes[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Turkey Recipes[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Vegetarian Entree Recipes[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Wild Game Recipes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
    Flavors and aromas perfect for a crisp autumn evening or a cold winter’s supper, this complete [COLOR=#000099! important][COLOR=#000099! important]skillet[/color][/color] supper satisfies. Serve with a rustic bread.
    German-Style Bratwurst and Sauerkraut
    1 pound bratwurst (5 links)
    6 slices bacon
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 32-oz. can sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
    2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup dry white wine or apple juice
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 [COLOR=#000099! important][COLOR=#000099! important]teaspoon[/color] instant chicken bouillon granules
    1 teaspoon caraway seed
    1 bay leaf

1 large apple, cored and sliced[/color]
    1. In a large skillet cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Bacon can be drained and set aside for another use. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet.
    2. Cook onion and garlic in skillet over medium heat until tender, stirring occasionally.
    3. Stir in sauerkraut, potatoes, water, wine, brown sugar, bouillon, caraway and bay leaf. Add up to 1/2 cup more water, if necessary, to cover potatoes. Bring to boiling.
    4. Score bratwurst; add to sauerkraut mixture and reduce heat. Cover and [COLOR=#000099! important][COLOR=#000099! important]simmer[/color] for 20 to 30 minutes or until potatoes are just tender, stirring occasionally.[/color]
    5. Add the sliced apple; cover and cook for 5 to 10 minutes more or until apples are just tender. Remove [COLOR=#000099! important][COLOR=#000099! important]bay [COLOR=#000099! important]leaf[/color][/color] and serve.[/color]
    Serves 5

]
    Wanna see my grandkids?

WriterDude Guest
    I put this up in the Foodie group awhile back -- now that it's warming up in places, I thought it time to post it here.

Big Bob Gibson's Smoked Chicken w/ White BBQ Sauce

This recipe from Decatur, Alabama is largely lifted from Steven Raichlen's version as posted at foodandwine.com. For a simpler version (mine), substitute pre-cut chicken pieces, coat them with a little E.V.O. and simply season with the coarse salt and fresh ground black pepper. (Boneless skinless breasts are not recommended for this recipe.) Also, I prefer to soak the cooked pieces in the sauce for a bit before serving. Messy, but incredible.

2 cups hickory wood chips
    2 teaspoons coarse salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoons light brown sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    Two 4-pound chickens, rinsed and patted dry
    White BBQ Sauce

1. Soak the hickory chips in cold water for 1 hour (for faster smoke action, leave half of the chips unsoaked, and place under the soaked half in procedure #3 below). In a small bowl, combine salt and pepper with the brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder and onion powder.

2. Light your grill; if using gas, light the front and rear or outside burners. If using charcoal, rake or hoe the lit coals into two piles on opposite sides of the grill. Lightly brush the grate with oil. Place a foil drip pan in the center of the grill.

3. Drain the hickory chips and scatter them on the hot coals. If using gas, place the chips in a smoker box or a 12-inch square of aluminum foil; fold the foil into a 6-inch square package and poke 12 holes in the top. Place the box or package near the gas flame. Let the chips heat until smoking. Take care not to let flame ignite the smoke; keep a spray bottle or squirt gun handy to douse the box or pouch as needed.

4. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of the spice mixture into the cavity of each chicken. Sprinkle the rest on the skin, and rub it in thoroughly. Set the chickens on the grill, breast up, away from the heat. Cover and grill over moderate heat for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the skin is golden and crisp and the juices run clear when a thigh is pierced. (If using charcoal, replenish the coals after about 1 hour.)

Transfer the chickens to a platter and let rest for 10 minutes before carving. Serve hot or at room temperature, with White BBQ Sauce on the side.

White BBQ Sauce:

1 cup real mayonnaise, preferably Hellman's/Best Foods
    2 to 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons freshly grated or prepared horseradish
    2 tablespoons water
    1 teaspoon coarse salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1. Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Will keep up to a week in a refrigerated airtight container. Purists may notice that the original White BBQ Sauce does not contain horseradish; that's Raichlen's modification, one I find indispensable -- your mileage may vary.

Left-overs tip: pull the meat off any uneaten pieces and serve on buns (I like onion rolls) for lunch the next day -- a "pulled chicken" sandwich. Don't forget the sauce, make a little more if needed.
    Last edited by WriterDude; 03-09-2009 at 01:27 PM.

Nicksmorbidfascination Guest
    ok i was gonna go thru this whole thread but am running out of time...i am intrigued by American cuisine, but since there seem to be a lot of ingredients that i dont know, i will ask for something simplish........Meatloaf pls, and macaroni and cheese, having never tasted either, tasty recipes would be much appreciated!

WriterDude Guest
    (A couple of years ago, after many requests, I posted this on my blog -- when word got out that I lived in Missouri for a few years and taught myself to make my own traditional Kansas City-style barbecue rub and barbecue sauce, it turned out that all kinds of folks wanted to be forever ruined on commercial bottled sauces and rubs. Be warned, that will happen to you too, if you come back from the dark side along with them... ;-))

After bragging on Dave Barry's blog about some of the great tricks I began learning when I lived in Missouri, I was asked to share my recipes for my barbecue dry rub (or “seasoning”, for you rookies) and my barbecue sauce. Because I am much more of a show-off than I am the secretive type, I have decided to divulge, with one caveat: I reserve the right to yank this post if a bunch of food sites start linking to it. Damned if I’ll share this with strangers for no gain. But if you’re reading it here, you’re already a friend and therefore worthy…

Do keep in mind that the rub is an essential ingredient in the sauce, so it comes first:

Steiner’s Authentic Missouri BBQ Dry Rub

1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup sweet (as distinct from “hot”) paprika
    3 tbsp black pepper
    3 tbsp salt (preferably coarse/kosher/sea salt)
    1 tbsp hickory-smoked salt (can be tricky to find; substitute more coarse salt if necessary)
    2 tsp garlic powder
    2 tsp onion powder
    2 tsp celery seeds
    1 tsp cayenne pepper

Now the fun part — combine all ingredients in your favorite mixing bowl and mix them up with your fingers. It’s the only way short of using a blender (not recommended, too big a PITA) to break up the lumps of brown sugar.

Store in an air-tight container. Will keep at least a year.

Steiner’s Shot-&-a-Beer Missouri Barbecue Sauce

This is my all-purpose, all-meats sauce. You’ll think you died and went to Kansas City. (For anyone who has ever been to a Gates’ in KC, I modeled this on a 50/50 mix of their original and their extra hot sauces. Don’t tell Ollie.)

Two 8 oz.cans tomato sauce, preferably Contadina (straight, no flavors)
    1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    1/4 cup Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce (avoid the cheap stuff such as French’s)
    2 tbsp molasses
    2 tbsp Dijon mustard (preferably Grey Poupon — again, don’t skimp on quality)
    1 tbsp Tabasco sauce
    1 tbsp of my rub above
    2 tsp Liquid Smoke
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional if you have to keep it tame for timid eaters)
    50 ml (one shot) bourbon (I prefer Jim Beam Black)
    1 shplurp of beer, maybe 4-5 oz (as with wine, don’t cook with a lesser quality than you would drink)

Combine all but the last two ingredients (recommend dry ingredients first, then the wet) in a non-reactive saucepan — a wire whisk works best — add the bourbon and beer while bringing slowly to a boil over med-high heat. Reduce the heat enough to achieve what I call a ‘gentle simmer’ — if the sauce splatters out of the pan, that’s too much heat. Stirring often, let the sauce cook down until it’s noticeably darker and thicker than what you started with, about 10-15 minutes. Makes about 2 1/2 cups. Any unused amount will keep at least six months in the fridge. (Tip: for a fun and different dip for fries and veggies, mix the sauce 50/50 with some mayonnaise.)

There you have it, folks. If you are new to authentic BBQ as distinct from grilling, leave a comment and I’ll augment this post with tips on how to achieve low-and-slow indirect grilling. If that is an alien term to you, please, you MUST learn more from me before you attempt the above, as you’ll just set fire to the sauce and you’ll hate the results. If you feel you have to apply the sauce to the meat while it's still on the grill, remember to hold off on it until the final turn and to save some for the table.

UPDATE: Rather than rewrite what’s already been written better, here’s a link to an excellent site by grill guru extraordinare Steven Raichlen over at BarbecueBible.com. To begin learning immediately about direct vs. indirect, barbecue vs. grilling, click on the “Techniques and Recipes” button.
    Last edited by WriterDude; 03-10-2009 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicksmorbidfascination View Post
    ok i was gonna go thru this whole thread but am running out of time...i am intrigued by American cuisine, but since there seem to be a lot of ingredients that i dont know, i will ask for something simplish........Meatloaf pls, and macaroni and cheese, having never tasted either, tasty recipes would be much appreciated!
    Never had mac and cheese?! OMG it's the greatest!
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/M...oni-and-Cheese
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

stranger_than_strange Guest

Wow I thought Mac n Cheese was on every year 8's cooking syllabas here in Aus schools it was one of the first things they made us cook. Mind you my first attempt could have killed a dog

Quote Originally Posted by stranger_than_strange View Post
    Wow I thought Mac n Cheese was on every year 8's cooking syllabas here in Aus schools it was one of the first things they made us cook. Mind you my first attempt could have killed a dog
    nope not at my school, i went to an all girls catholic high school, the menu was always low fat and unappetising .....i have seen the Kraft boxes of macaroni and cheese, thats not like the real stuff though, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    Never had mac and cheese?! OMG it's the greatest!
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/M...oni-and-Cheese
    thaks a lot for the link...i dont know what Velveeta is, but i am assuming i can use the kraft proccessed cheddar as an alternative.

guardmom2008 Guest
    thaks a lot for the link...i dont know what Velveeta is, but i am assuming i can use the kraft proccessed cheddar as an alternative.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    I love this chicken dish and it's so easy to make. My family looks forward to the nights I make this
    Lemon Chicken with Thyme
    4 servings (but you can make it more just add more chicken breasts and increase the amounts of the ingredients as per needed)

3 tbsp flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 medium onion
    1 tbsp butter
    1 c chicken broth
    3 tbsp lemon juice
    1/2 tsp thyme
    Lemon wedges (optional)
    2 tbsp chopped or dried parsley

1. In a plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper and shake to mix. Add chicken and shake to coat lightly. Remove the chicken and reserve the excess seasoned flour.
    2. In a large skillet, warm 1 tbsp of the oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and brown on one side, about 5 min. Add the remaining tbsp of oil, turn the chicken and brown well on the second side, about 5 min. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
    3. Coarsely chop the onion. Add the butter to the skillet. When the butter melts, add the onion and cook, stirring until softened, 2-3 min.
    4. Stir in the reserved seasoned flour adn cook, stirring, until the flour is completely incorporated, about 1 min
    5. Add the broth, 2 tbsp of the lemon juice and the thyme and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly
    6. Return the chicken to the skillet, reduce the heat to med-low adn cover the skillet. Cook until the chicken is tender and opaque throughout, about 5 min
    7. Divide the chicken among 4 plates. Stir the remaining 1 tbsp lemon juice into the sauce in the skillet and pour over the chicken. Serve with the lemon wedge and a sprinkling of parsley, if desired.
    Enjoy!

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Homemade French Onion Soup
    another family fav.

3 medium onions, sliced (use whatever onions you like, strong tasting or mild, depending on your taste. I use Spanish onions)
    2 tbsp butter
    4 cups Beef Consomme (below)
    1 tsp worcestershire sauce
    toasted french bread (optional)
    Grated Parm. cheese and LOTS of mozzerella cheese (I love lots of cheese on mine)

Cover and cook onions in butter in 3 quart saucepan over low heat, stirring occassionally, 30 min
    Add consomme and worcestershire sauce, heat to boiling. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 min
    Place 1/2 slice toasted bread in each of 4 soup bowls, pour hot soup over toast and sprinkle toast with cheese. Top with mozzerella cheese. - Broil in oven or toaster oven
    until cheese is browned.

Beef Consomme
    2 cans (10 1/2 ounces each) condensed beef broth (about 2 1/2 cups)
    1 soup can water
    1 small onion, sliced (about 1/4c)
    1 small carrot sliced (about 1/4c)
    1 small celery stalk, sliced (about 1/4c)
    2 sprigs parsley
    1 small bay leaf
    1/8 tsp dried thyme leaves
    Heat all ingredients to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer 30 min, strain.

*I increase all these ingredients by double. I just find with the orginial recipe, it doesn't make enough. Plus we like leftover for the next day. Sometimes I even 4x the ingredients - by doing that it makes about 8 large bowls of soup.
    Enjoy

More Cheese Please Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by beatlebaby4 View Post
    Homemade French Onion Soup
    another family fav.

3 medium onions, sliced (use whatever onions you like, strong tasting or mild, depending on your taste. I use Spanish onions)
    2 tbsp butter
    4 cups Beef Consomme (below)
    1 tsp worcestershire sauce
    toasted french bread (optional)
    Grated Parm. cheese and LOTS of mozzerella cheese (I love lots of cheese on mine)

Cover and cook onions in butter in 3 quart saucepan over low heat, stirring occassionally, 30 min
    Add consomme and worcestershire sauce, heat to boiling. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 min
    Place 1/2 slice toasted bread in each of 4 soup bowls, pour hot soup over toast and sprinkle toast with cheese. Top with mozzerella cheese. - Broil in oven or toaster oven
    until cheese is browned.

Beef Consomme
    2 cans (10 1/2 ounces each) condensed beef broth (about 2 1/2 cups)
    1 soup can water
    1 small onion, sliced (about 1/4c)
    1 small carrot sliced (about 1/4c)
    1 small celery stalk, sliced (about 1/4c)
    2 sprigs parsley
    1 small bay leaf
    1/8 tsp dried thyme leaves
    Heat all ingredients to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer 30 min, strain.

*I increase all these ingredients by double. I just find with the orginial recipe, it doesn't make enough. Plus we like leftover for the next day. Sometimes I even 4x the ingredients - by doing that it makes about 8 large bowls of soup.
    Enjoy
    Oh Beatle... one of my favs!!!!! Post it in Foodie Network please!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (or I will!!! LOL! )

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Swiss Dip
    An all time fav when company comes - everyone always asks for the recipe and wants more - never any leftover dip.

8 ounce block of cream cheese softened
    1 1/2 c grated swiss cheese
    1/3 c miracle whip
    1/3 c sliced Almonds (optional) *I never use the almonds, hubby doesn't like them
    2 tbsp chopped green onion
    Mix together well. Put in oven safe dish and bake at 350 for 15 min.
    Serve with your fav crackers

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by More Cheese Please View Post
    Oh Beatle... one of my favs!!!!! Post it in Foodie Network please!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (or I will!!! LOL! )
    Thanks MCP. You can if you like

More Cheese Please Guest
    Thanks MCP. You can if you like
    I like!

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Grilled Shrimp
    My son's fav

2 lbs jumbo shrimp
    1/4c vegetable oil
    2-3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
    1 bunch green onions, with a few inches of green, thinly sliced
    1/4c chopped parsley
    3 cloves garlic, finely minced
    1 tsp dried basil
    1 tsp dry mustard
    1 tsp salt

Place shrimp in glass bowl. Stir remaining ingredients together, pour over shrimp. Cover and marinate for 3-4 hours. Grill over hot coals or cook in skillet (with a bit of olive oil) for about 5-7 min. turning halfway through the cooking time. Serves 4-6

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Chicken & Rice
    my daughters fav

4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1c rice - long grain
    1 package onion soup mix
    1 10 ounce can mushroom soup
    1 10 ounce can consume
    1 10 ounce can of mushrooms

Put rice on the bottom of a 9x13 glass dish. Cover with soup mix, place chicken breasts on top, then cover with the mushroom soup and consume (which you combine in a separate bowl), then put mushrooms on top. Cover with tin foil and bake at 300 for 2 hours.
    Easy and Enjoy

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Turnip-Carrot Casserole
    I make this when I go to Pot Luck dinners, it is always a fav and I've always gotten raves about it and it gets eaten right up.

1 medium turnip
    8-10 carrots
    1/4c melted butter
    2c Velvetta cheese (small package)
    1/2c fine bread crumbs
    2 tbsp butter melted

Cook turnip adn carrots - mash together
    Cube the cheese, add 1/4c melted butter and cheese to the turnip and carrots that you have mashed together
    mix well and put in a casserole dish
    mix 2 tbsp melted butter and the bread crumbs, sprinkle over the casserole
    Put in oven for approx. 30 min at 350.
    You can make this ahead of time and refrigerate, then heat up when needed

beatlebaby4 Guest
    My Mom Recipe - A Family Tradition

Tomato Soup Cake - forget the name, you don't taste the soup, it's more like a spice cake and damn good

3 tbsp of butter or shortening
    1c of white sugar
    1c of raisins
    1 10ounce can of Campbells Tomato Soup
    1 1/2 c of all purpose flour
    1 tsp of baking soda
    3/4 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp each of nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon.

Mix together the butter/shortening, sugar, raisins and tomato soup. Sift together the flour, spices, baking soda and baking powder. Mix dry ingredients with the tomato soup mixture. Mix well. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. If you use a glass baking dish then bake at 325 for 1 hour.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Millionaire Squares - My kids fav

2c crushed oatmeal cookies (I find Dad's the best)
    1/2c melted butter

Icing
    3 semi sweet choc. squares
    1/2 c butter
    1 egg
    2 c icing sugar

Mix cookie crumbs and melted butter. Put in ungreased 8x8 pan. Bake at 350 for 5 min. Cool.
    Icing - Melt chocolate and butter in microwave, stirring occassionally so it doesn't burn. Beat egg lightly. Add egg and icing sugar. Beat until smooth. Pour over cooled cookie base. Refrigerate. Keep refrigerated.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Cherry-O-Cream Cheese Cake
    Family fav

Base
    1c graham cookie crumbs
    1/3c melted butter
    1/4c sugar
    Bake at 350 for 5-10 min. or Until firm.

1 8 ounce pkg. plain cream cheese ( you can use light cream cheese)
    1 15 ounce can Borden's Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk
    1/3 c lemon juice
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 20 ounce can cherry pie filling

Whip cream cheese until creamy and fluffy. Gradually add sweetened condensed milk and beat well until blended.
    Add lemon juice and vanilla. Place mixture into crumb crust. Top with cherry pie filling. Chill well and keep refrigerated

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Toblerone Fondue

1 bar (100g) Toblerone Swiss Milk Choc. Bar
    1 can (300ml) sweetened condensed milk

Break choc. bar into small pieces, place in small saucepan
    Stir in milk. Cook on medium heat until chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is well blended, stirring frequently
    Serve warm with assorted fresh fruit, such as grapes, cut up apples, strawberries, pears; cookies, pound cake and/or pretzels
    Makes 2 cups or 16 servings @ 2 tbsp each

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Arrowroot Dainties
    Hubz absolute fav.

3 Jersey milk bars or more if you want
    1/2c butter
    1/2c sugar
    1 egg beaten
    35 arrowroot cookies, crushed fine (2 cups worth)

Mix butter, sugar and egg. Sliver 2 choc. bars. Add the 2cups of finely crushed arrowroot cookies.
    Roll fine and press into buttered 8x8 pan. Chill for 30 min
    Cover with butter icing (below) and sliver the last choc bar into the icing. Keep refrigerated (freezes well)

Butter Icing
    1c Icing sugar
    1/4c melted softened butter
    1 jersey milk choc bar
    cream as needed.
    Cream together icing sugar and butter. Add cream, just enough to make it easy to spread. Add slivered choc bar. Mix and spread on top of cookie mixture.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Cracker Jack (or caramel corn)

6 quarts popped corn - 1c unpopped
    1c butter
    2c brown sugar
    1/2 corn syrup
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    1tsp vanilla

Heat oven to 250. Put popped corn in a buttered roasting pan and lid. Melt butter, stir in sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil stirring constantly. Boil for about 5 min.
    Remove from heat, stir in baking soda and vanilla, quickly pour over popped corn and stir well. Bake 1 hour stirring every 15 min.
    Remove from oven and cool completely. Store in tightly covered tuperware container (a large one). Yummy!

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Banana Muffins

1/2c granulated sugar
    6 tbsp vegetable oil
    1c ripe bananas, mashed
    1 egg, lightly beated
    1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2c bran
    1c all purpose flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    1/2c raisins or choc chips

Combine sugar, oil, banana, egg, vanilla and bran. Let stand 5 min.
    Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to bran mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in raisins or choc chips.
    Spoon batter into muffin cups or greased muffin tin
    Bake at 350 for 20-25 min or until golden brown. Makes 8-10 muffins.

Fujicakes Guest
    nope not at my school, i went to an all girls catholic high school, the menu was always low fat and unappetising .....i have seen the Kraft boxes of macaroni and cheese, thats not like the real stuff though, is it?
    No, but if you add shredded cheese to it, it tastes a lot better. That's only for a quick fix though. I'd suggest going with homemade.

I need recipes for really for real Mexican food! Food from any region, it doesn't matter. Pleeeease!
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Somewhere twixt San Antonio & Corpus Christi
    How about a Mexican soup recipe?

Albondigas Soup :

Ingrediants:

Meatballs
    1/2 lb lean ground beef
    1/2 lb chorizo sausage w/casing removed (do not use the pre-cooked kind)
    1 egg, beaten
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 carrot, minced
    1/2 cup cooked rice
    1/2 cup cilantro leaves
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 teaspoon ground cumin

Albondigas Soup
    6 cups chicken broth
    1/2 cup onion, chopped
    3 stalks of celery, chopped
    1 16-oz can, diced tomatoes
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1/4 cup cilantro
    1 large zucchini, sliced
    salt
    pepper

Make meatballs first, combine everything and mix thoroughly

Forms the meatballs and roll them twixt your palms, else they'll fall apart in the soup. Make about a dozen and a half to two dozen and set them aside.

Combine all of the soup ingrediants including the juice from the tomatoes but NOT THE ZUCCHINI into a large pot.

Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.

Making sure the soup is slightly boiling, drop the meatballs into the soup. Return to simmer and cook another 10 minutes.

Add the zucchini and cook for another 10 minutes.

Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve. Makes about 8 servings.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

American Progress

Kugmu Guest
    From the market get one of those pre-cooked packages of sausage, Kielbasa or whatever kind of links you like. I usually get something from Hillshire Farms.
    >Cut up two of the links in into bite size chunks and place them in a wide microwave safe bowl.
    >Nuke the chunks for one minute, stir and repeat until they are close to being done/hot.
    It might be a good idea to cover the bowl with something while being nuked to contain any splattering.
    When at the desired temperature you can, if you want to, use a paper towel to absorb some of the grease collecting at the bottom of the bowl. Your choice.
    >Now open a can of chili and pour it over the hot link chunks and mix well. With beans, with out beans chunky, whatever. Again, your choice.
    >Nuke for 30 seconds, stir and repeat until hot.
    >Throw on top a hand full of grated cheddar, Swiss or some other kind of cheese. You may want to nuke it all again for 30 seconds or so to fully melt the cheese.
    >Toss on top some sliced jalapeno peppers and chopped onions.
    Now grab fork/spoon, a bag of tortilla chips, open the next 12 pack and enjoy the rest of the game.
    Life as a bachelor can be so grand!

mel306 Guest

Crockpot

My mom just got me a crockpot and I have no idea what to do with this thing. Any suggestions or recipes you guys can share?

betwixed Guest
    Tons actually =) A favorite at my house is this:
    A few cans of cream of (celery is my fav, but mushroom or w/e works) and some cube steak. Half can of the soup in the crockpot, a cube steak, then more soup. Continue to layer. Cover on, set heat to low for about 6 hrs. When its done, the cube steak will literally fall apart. I serve this over rice.

I <3 my crockpot.

mel306 Guest
    Oh that sounds good. I might start cooking with this thing. But then the local pizza place may go out of business. lol

guardmom2008 Guest
    Peanut Butter Eggs

1- stick of butter
    1-cup of peanut butter
    1/4 cup corn syrup
    2 cups powdered sugar

Mix well, if too moist;add a little more powdered sugar. If mixture seems to dry add a little more corn syrup or peanut butter.
    Then form into eggs or whatever shape, put them on a tray and then place in the freezer.

Chocolate
    I get the little wafer melts
    I melt them in the microwave, put in a bowl and add a little oil so they don't burn.

Then take the pb eggs out of freezer and dip in melted choc, then I put them back in the freezer til I am ready to serve them.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    sounds good and just in time for next weekend
    How many choc. wafers do you buy?

guardmom2008 Guest
    sounds good and just in time for next weekend
    How many choc. wafers do you buy?
    I buy them by the bag Wilton has them I buy 2 bags because I'll use the left over melted choc to make the Easter molds such as bunnies etc..

warmbear Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mel306 View Post
    My mom just got me a crockpot and I have no idea what to do with this thing. Any suggestions or recipes you guys can share?

Well, crock pots have lots of uses..

Here is a quick dish, that I created..

1 can of cream of mushroom soup.
    1/2 onion, finely chopped
    1 tsp garlic powder
    2 1/2 pound boneless pork roast (I get pork sirloin roasts on sale to use for this dish)
    kitchen bouquet or gravy master.

Early in the morning:
    Empty the can of soup into your crock pot, add the onions & garlic. Place the roast on top of the soup, cover, set your crock pot to high. Once the soup begins to boil, turn your crock pot to low, and allow to simmer..

Noontime: Turn the meat over, replace cover.

1 hour before dinnertime: remove roast, and add 1tsp kitchen bouquet or gravy master (or more, if you want darker "gravy"). Stir. Return meat to gravy, and coat on all sides. Recover.

Put potatoes in oven to bake. When pototoes are done, remove roast from crock pot, put gravy in gravyboat or bowl, and serve roast (sliced) with potatoes and gravy and your favorite vegetable.

This is very nice, and pork sirloin roasts are not fatty.

Note: If you are going to be gone all day, and not home to turn the roast, simply use 2 cans of mushroom soup instead of 1 to make your roast self baste. Be sure to turn your crock pot to low before you leave the house though.

guardmom2008 Guest
    Throw a beef roast in with potatoes add gravy and onions. That can cook all day. The beef gets really tender and melts in your mouth.

Dixie Girl Guest
    Reading some of these recipes, I am a bit embarrassed to post this one..but with the economy here being the way it is, this is a tasty "cheap" alternative to Beef Stroganoff that seems to draw raves whenever I took it to my hospital parties.
    One pint sour cram
    2 pounds lean ground beef
    1 onion, diced
    1 loaf of french or sourdough bread
    1 cup cheddar cheese, sharp

Brown ground beef and onion till cooked, pour in sour cream and stir till mixed well. Broil the french bread till lightly toasted, then remove from the oven and spread the sour cream mixture down its length.
    Slice your green pepper up (I like to slice it whole, as it leaves an attractive, appealing shape and lay down the length of the bread. Sprinkle sharp cheddar cheese across the top.
    Place back in oven until cheese is melted and bubbling, remove and serve.
    (Just a note--using the extra sharp cheddar cheese REALLY enhances the tanginess of this dish, and the bell pepper can be left out but it adds a delicious flavor to it as well.)

guardmom2008 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Girl View Post
    Reading some of these recipes, I am a bit embarrassed to post this one..but with the economy here being the way it is, this is a tasty "cheap" alternative to Beef Stroganoff that seems to draw raves whenever I took it to my hospital parties.
    One pint sour cram
    1 onion, diced

Brown ground beef and onion till cooked, pour in sour cream and stir till mixed well. Broil the french bread till lightly toasted, then remove from the oven and spread the sour cream mixture down its length.
    Slice your green pepper up (I like to slice it whole, as it leaves an attractive, appealing shape and lay down the length of the bread. Sprinkle sharp cheddar cheese across the top.
    (Just a note--using the extra sharp cheddar cheese REALLY enhances the tanginess of this dish, and the bell pepper can be left out but it adds a delicious flavor to it as well.)
    That sounds yummy Hon, don't feel embarassed.

warmbear Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Girl View Post
    One pint sour cram
    1 onion, diced

I assume that you are splitting the french bread lengthwise down the middle to form two halves, and then you are broiling the halves?

I♥TinyTim Guest
    The next time you make a BLT sandwich, slice it in half diagonally, and dip it in Alfredo sauce. Muah! Muy beuno!

warmbear Guest
    Here is another one for you to try:

My pot roast
    1 beef bullion cube
    1 large onion, peeled, and sliced into 3 fat slices
    1 boneless chuck roast
    1/2 tsp garlic
    ground horseradish
    1 can or bottle of beer

water
    cornstarch
    sugar

Pour beer into crock pot. Add garlic & bullion cube
    Spread a layer of horseradish over the top of your roast and place the roast in the crock pot. Place onion slices on top of your roast. cover and turn crock pot on high, once liquid boils, turn down to low. Let cook covered all day undisturbed.

15 minutes before you want to serve this, remove the onion slices and roast to a platter, cover with foil, and keep warm in your oven. next, make your kettle gravy.

Turn crock pot back to high.

To the liquid in your crock pot, add 2 spoonfuls of sugar. In a measuring cup, add 3 tablespoons of cornstarch, and then add 1 cup of cold water (never hot). Stir this mixture throughly. While stirring the liquid in the crock pot, gradually add the cornstarch mixture.. continue to stir for 2 or 3 minutes, until gravy is thickened.

This can be served with either baked or mashed potatoes, and a vegetable. Remember to serve the onion slices, as they are very good to eat, nice and tender.

Alternative for those who object to using beer in their cooking:

Instead of the beer, you may use 2 cups of strong coffee. (Leftover coffee from the previous day is fine in this)

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Loving these guys. When I get a minute I will pull out my crock pot recipes. Absolutely love roast in the crock pot.

Dixie Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by warmbear View Post
    I assume that you are splitting the french bread lengthwise down the middle to form two halves, and then you are broiling the halves?
    That would be it, warmbear. And forgive the typo..it should have been sour cream, and not sour cram
    Beatlebaby4..I am with you, I love my crock pots..and they make beef so tender!
    Last edited by Dixie Girl; 04-01-2009 at 06:57 PM.

47. 04-01-2009, 06:55 PM
    Reason
    Can combine with my above post :)

sunshine2828 Guest
    I have a sirloin tip roast that I got at the store this week(on sale!) If anyone has any crockpot or other recipes for this let me know...I'm always wanting to try new! Thanks!

Jenn

Jack'sGirl Guest
    I can post crock pot recipes, too. I just have to do it from home.

One thing I do in there is my BBQ ribs. They get a dry rub the night before, then I slow cook them all day in beer. I take them out and brush them with homemade BBQ sauce, then either put them on the grill for a few minutes, or under the broiler. Then I serve with extra BBQ sauce. I swear, my guys will no longer order ribs out anymore. Hubby gets mad because he has to struggle to get the meat off the bones elsewhere, whereas mine just fall off the bone.

I've done roast beef and corned beef in the crockpot, and they both turn out well. I also have a great chili recipe that can either be done in a regular pot, or I converted it for crock pot all day cooking (which turns out better anyhow! )

Alton Brown had a recipe for an overnight oatmeal, and we didn't care for it the way he made it. I tweaked it, and now my guys love it. You put it in before you go to bed, and wake up to hot oatmeal. Delish!

I found a recipe that lets you make a crockpot pancake. That's another one my guys like. It takes about 2 hours to cook on high, but it comes out moist and tasty. It's a fun alternative to traditional pancakes. We've even thrown in blueberries for an added treat.

I'm also a Disney freak, and one thing I found is that most of their resort recipes are to die for, no lie. Their chefs must have to live up to some big standard, or something. I used to subscribe to the Disney Magazine (now defunct), and it was always loaded with recipes that I kept. I have a caramel French toast that is to die for, another one that's a stuffed French Toast, a fruit salad that is kinda made to resemble a ceasar salad, but with fruit ingredients, a great macaroni and cheese recipe that uses a bleu cheese/panko bread crust, their traditional Monte Cristo sandwiches, and even their Loaded Baked Potato Soup. Some of them are really incredible.

I'd be happy to share, if anyone wants them, but I have to do it from home later on this evening, or even over the weekend.

Layla331 Guest
    does anyone have a good beef stew recipe...??

don't_axe_me Guest
    caramel French toast that is to die for
    Would love to try this one!