Thread: Charles Laughton

dbrian Guest

Charles Laughton

Charles Laughton (1 July 1899â??15 December 1962)

The post about Elsa Lanchester reminded me about this guy.

My fav appearances of his were in "Mutiny on the Bounty" and "Witness for the Prosecution", "The Hunchback of Notre Dame." He also had a role in "Spartacus" as a republican senator who ends up killing himself. I remember the line as he selects the dagger to do the job--"This one is prettier."

In his later years he was in a terrible movie with Abbot and Costello called "Abbot and Costello Meet Captain Kidd". YEESH. What sort of social life did he and Elsa have? Where did they live in Hollywood? Any pics of their house anywhere? And how did he manage this duel life being closeted and married at the same time in such a high profile vocation in such times? Anyway--he was an interesting person.

Mutiny on the Bounty was a great movie.

The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

poppie Guest
    If I am remembering correctly, they lived in Hollywood and their house was partially secluded by a tall stone wall. Except for being a gay man, I cannot remember any real gossip about Charles Laughton.

he directed Robert Mitchum in the Night of the Hunter,sufficient itself for a career. hmm..gonna be on tcm 7cst nov,5
    Last edited by midnitelamp; 11-05-2007 at 10:52 AM. Reason: must be synchronicity stuff

RoRo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrian View Post
    Charles Laughton (1 July 1899â??15 December 1962)

The post about Elsa Lanchester reminded me about this guy.

My fav appearances of his were in "Mutiny on the Bounty" and "Witness for the Prosecution", "The Hunchback of Notre Dame." He also had a role in "Spartacus" as a republican senator who ends up killing himself. I remember the line as he selects the dagger to do the job--"This one is prettier."

In his later years he was in a terrible movie with Abbot and Costello called "Abbot and Costello Meet Captain Kidd". YEESH. What sort of social life did he and Elsa have? Where did they live in Hollywood? Any pics of their house anywhere? And how did he manage this duel life being closeted and married at the same time in such a high profile vocation in such times? Anyway--he was an interesting person.
    Back then the studios helped alot with keeping things under wraps so to speak

Jaxxx Guest
    thought he was creepy, voice just scared the rippin crap out of me

disco Guest
    Actor. Appeared on stage and in motion pictures from the 1920s to the 1960s. Won a Best Actor Oscar for his lead role in the 1933 drama "The Private Life of Henry VIII." Married for many years to actress elsa lancaster fag
    find a grave lol

as henry VIII with Binnie Barnes
    pull the string!

Cathy J. Guest
    Not long ago on another website ( radio-info.com ) someone mentioned that Rod Serling back in the 50s tried to Laughton fired from some TV role because Laughton was gay and Serling hated gays.

Not sure if either of this is true though the attempted firing or the hatred of gays on Serling's behalf. If Rod Serling really hated gay men and women, it is odd that in his later years he would appear on the college circuit since back then ( late 60s - early 70s ), outside of the biggest cities, really the only gay friendly places there were,were colleges and universities.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hell0kitty View Post
    as henry VIII with Binnie Barnes

Omigod..... I totally love this movie. I first saw it when I was 15 and totally loved it....wish I still had it

Long Gone Day Guest
    He..is..one..of..my..top..ten..favorite..actors!......He..was..the..best..Quasimodo
    ever......the...BEST!........Ive...seen..that..film..so..many..times..and..everything
    hes..been..in......He..could..be..lethal.....just..a..look....The..social..commentary
    really..affected..me..as..a..child.........Go..Victor..Hugo.

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    Back then the studios helped alot with keeping things under wraps so to speak
    Oh yeah...the studios had dedicated "clean-up" crews to take care of all the issues of their actors which might cause a ticket to go unsold.

I recall reading somewhere...might have been Scott's section on Laughton...that Elsa knew he was gay and didn't mind, even when Charles would have a young "friend" in the house. I guess she wanted a companion and friend and not a live-in lover.

Ed Stanley Guest

Charles Laughton

Just finished Bowers classic. Priceless........Laughton really into crap sandwiches ? Had a hunch, but thats pretty scary

Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Stanley View Post
    Just finished Bowers classic. Priceless........Laughton really into crap sandwiches ? Had a hunch, but thats pretty scary

Thoughts
    Please do a search before starting a thread.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

I read that Laughton actually looked forward to working with A&C and enjoyed his role as Captain Kidd, a chance to be an over-the-top comic villain. I have this film on DVD and admittedly it's not among the best A&C films, but just about every A&C film after they "Met Frankenstein" followed the same tired formula .. they'd MEET someone, like Captain Kidd, the Mummy, the Invisible Man et al. Blame the studio and its scriptwriters for expecting the public to continue to pay to see A&C, no matter how bad the material (or how cheap the sets were, etc.) was in those final years

If you want to see a REALLY shitty Laughton movie, try sitting through "Salome" !! Rita was still "as beautiful as ever" (as Louella used to say about Marion Davies) but it's a strain to believe that Judith Anderson is her mom. The whole production looked too artificial, I can almost feel the polyester togas and linoleum floors, lol. Apparently Laughton and Rita enjoyed working together - I've seen photos of them dancing and clowning around together on the set.

Laughton brought a touching humanity to Quasimodo that no other actor before or since has been able to do. I find it tough to CARE about Chaney's hunchback, but Laughton succeeded in getting the audience involved in the hunchback's emotions and almost forget his character's physical deformities

Remembering Charles Lawton on what would have been his 116th birthday.

"IN VINO VERITAS!"
    "Never cut what you can untie"

-Joseph Joubert

Yeah I kinda doubt Serlimg was anti-gay, he was pretty hip for his day. If he did want Laughton removed from something it was more likely due to Laughton's tendency to overact, which wouldn't play well on TV and Serling was definitely a TV guy. I remember seeing a PBS show about making I Claudius and Laughton was way over the top in some scenes.

Maureen O'Hara's autobiography "'Tis Herself" has some very good info on Laughton and Lanchester. Laughton gave O'Hara first film role and chose her stage name... which she disliked.

Maureen O'Hara adored him. He was well liked except by homophobes who were far more prevalent back then. Clark Gable despised Laughton. When they were making MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY, Laughton had brought along to Catalina Island his personal masseur who it was pretty apparent was Laughton' boyfriend. That irritated Gable to no end and he'd shake his head each tie the twosome were in view.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_inline_neu7xyZWBw1rown8a.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	52827
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

I enjoy it when ever his films come on
    (TCM) Turner Classic Movies.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

he was in Hobson's Choice. Luuuuvvv that movie!

Bidmor Guest
    This morning I viewed "Ruggles Of Red Gap" 1935. Set in 1908, Laughton plays Marmaduke Ruggles, a gentleman's gentleman to Roland Young (most noted for playing the title character of the Topper films) who loses Laughton in a poker game to Charles Ruggles (coincidence to the title, who had supporting roles in many films tv roles including Bringing Up Baby but is probably best know for his voicing Aesop's Fables on The Rocky And Bullwinkle Show), a "good old boy" from Red Gap, Washington, who has come into a lot of money.

Of course the comedy is the proper Ruggles trying to adapt to life in old west style America and Ruggles' character of being a good time guy whose wife is trying to move into high society after their new found fortune. Laughton meets and falls in love with a housekeeper and cook played by Zasu Pitts. A nice 73 minute comedy.

Laughton could play quiet comedy with few lines and a lot of physical takes, the pathos of Quasimodo, the nastiness of Captain Bligh (also 1935), and pull of an excellent performance as a cunning southern senator in Advise And Consent.

Remembering Charles Laughton on the 55th anniversary of his passing.
    "Never cut what you can untie"

-Joseph Joubert

I wish he was on a Marx Brothers Film.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby George View Post
    Remembering Charles Laughton on the 55th anniversary of his passing.
    In a career of great roles my favorite has always been as Sir Wilfred in "Witness For The Prosecution". Of course he had stellar support from Elsa Lancaster, Tyrone Power and Marlene Dietrich too!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	witness-for-the-prosecution-picture.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	54630