Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sheri View Post
    aaahhhhh thanks a lot endsleigh halloweens over put that thing back where it belongs youre gonna make someone lose more than their lunch lmao
    <grin>
    I know, I feel sorry for the guy.
    Good thing he writes lol

Just saw The Mist. Typical SK downbeat ending. Had some nice effects though.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

favorites: It, The Shining, Needful Things, The Green Mile, Dolores Claiborne

Dolores Claiborne: "...listen Mr Grand High Pubah of Upper Butt Crack..."
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 11-29-2007 at 06:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by susalu View Post
    i always watch Misery in the winter.... guess i like to watch movies where it is snowing outside, when it is snowing outside.... sorry to rub it in, suck...
    Yeah that's a great one to watch in Oregon after an hour of shoveling snow off the stairs, driveway and sidewalk every year around Christmas time. A dandy reward for a job well done.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Nice.
    I went to a storage unit sale today and picked up 5 hardback Stephen Kings for a quarter each. Perfect condition too, I love those sales.
    Good thing too, thru the years, moving and lending out books, I lost alot of mine.

Such a deal!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MbalmR View Post
    I never read "Dolores Claiborne," but loved that movie. One of my favorite SK novels is "Gerald's Game," and I think my favorite short is "The Long Walk." I've never read any biographical items about SK, but I notice that many of his stories have an alcoholic in them at some point. I'm assuming Mr. King to be a recovering alcoholic--he knows an awful lot of their slogans and such.

What I enjoy about King's writing is that you can really lose yourself in it and not worry about whether it's the "good lit-ra-cha." You can allow yourself to be borne along as if in a dream. Given the usual subject matter of his work, that's actually rather soothing.
    Recovering alcoholic AND cocaine addict...I read an interview with him recently wherein he stated that there are several of his books, "Rose Madder" comes to mind as one of them--that he doesn't even remember writing!
    I love his books, been reading them since I was in high school, too bad filmmakers just don't seem to "get" him as so many adaptations of his books are really, really bad. I'm trying to think of great movies made from his books and stories, and can only think of four: "Carrie," "Stand By Me," "Misery," and "Dolores Claiborne." The biggest disappointment was "The Shining," WOW did Kubrick miss the boat with that one!

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    I was looking at "The Mist" thread and thought I'd do this one on Stephen King, he's a neat Findadeath fit.
    What's your Favorite King book/books?
    My favorites were "It" and "Salems lot". (That part where the boy was hanging and scratching at the window scared me to death)
    I have read all of his books (Duma Key should be out soon) and I think that "Pet Semetary" and "Misery" are my favorites. I loved the "Dark Tower" series also. I loved "IT" also but the ending was a bit of a disappointment.

Don't know if someone has posted this yet but here is a great fan-site:

http://www.liljas-library.com/

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Krissypoo View Post
    Oh it was my lifelong desire to visit Winchester Mystery ever since I saw a WMH bumper sticker when I was 7 years old. Flash forward 20 years and I find myself living in San Jose. I finally got my wish and went on a tour of the house. Thank you for posting those photos. The tour wasn't quite as creepy as I thought it would be, but really interesting and worth the wait.
    And I just remembered that this is a Stephen King thread and sorry for the highjack!
    A very cool-looking house, haunted or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Krissypoo View Post
    Oh it was my lifelong desire to visit Winchester Mystery ever since I saw a WMH bumper sticker when I was 7 years old. Flash forward 20 years and I find myself living in San Jose. I finally got my wish and went on a tour of the house. Thank you for posting those photos. The tour wasn't quite as creepy as I thought it would be, but really interesting and worth the wait.
    And I just remembered that this is a Stephen King thread and sorry for the highjack!
    Glad you liked 'em folks.

endsleigh03 Guest
    "Duma Key" is out. Anyone read it yet?

Bayou Voodoo Guest
    Just finished it. I'm not sure if I liked it or not. lol It was slow at times, and only a couple of places gave me the willies. Of course, I read it at work....where I am alone in my department, which is always dimly lit...on the graveyard shift.

Overall, I think I'll give it a B-. Not his best but definitely not his worst.

Bashterd Guest
    About 3/4 of the way through. Very ghost storyish. Very good.

I was looking at "The Mist" thread and thought I'd do this one on Stephen King, he's a neat Findadeath fit.
    What's your Favorite King book/books?
    My favorites were "It" and "Salems lot". (That part where the boy was hanging and scratching at the window scared me to death)
    Hey There! Salem's 'Lot was the very first King book I read. I started reading it one day on breaks at work, continued reading it when I got home and finished at 4:30am (d'oh, had to be up for work at 7am) and I was too scared to go to sleep.

But my two faves have got to be The Stand (unabridged) and IT. I've read both around 5 times each and will read them again. If you put a gun to my head, I would be forced to say The Stand is my fave of the two.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    I am thrilled they are making the " Mist " into a movie, and I hope they don`t screw it up....one of my all time favorite novella`s of his...another one is " The Reach ".....excellant story......" Talisman " with Peter Straub , have read this one so many times I can`t count ....." The Stand " a classic....." Different Seasons "......that copy is seriously dog-eared ,and of course " It "...didn`t really get into the Richard Thomas TV version ....his later works aren`t the same for me....
    A movie of The Mist? OMG, thanks for sharing that. I had no idea. I love that novella. But there just wasn't enough of it; wish he had written a dang fat book instead of a short. The idea hit him as he was standing in line at the grocery store--after a squal and a mist. Cool.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

The Mist Trailer. Looks spot on, but you never know.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP-MHO_M6ik
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie View Post
    AHHHH....I hated that book...it was sooo long and boring to me...it....well, it almost put me to sleep.....
    Me too

I could not get into it. I could also not get into Dreamcatcher.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Hey There! Salem's 'Lot was the very first King book I read. I started reading it one day on breaks at work, continued reading it when I got home and finished at 4:30am (d'oh, had to be up for work at 7am) and I was too scared to go to sleep.

But my two faves have got to be The Stand (unabridged) and IT. I've read both around 5 times each and will read them again. If you put a gun to my head, I would be forced to say The Stand is my fave of the two.
    Interesting, I was watching the extra material on the Season 3 DVDs of LOST, and the producers all comment that their main inspiration for the series are the works of Stephen King, and that all of them are HUGE fans of King. In particular, they note his novels "Carrie" and "The Stand" as their main touchstones for writing "Lost."
    So anyone wondering where the series is going and where it will end up, these two novels might be suggested reading (or re-re-re reading in my case, I LOVED "Carrie")!

Noelle Page Guest
    I wish they'd make a really trippy, creepy Stand. To make the version I have in my head, you'd need a very arty director i think.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    I wish they'd make a really trippy, creepy Stand. To make the version I have in my head, you'd need a very arty director i think.
    ...and a budget of at LEAST $150,000,000...!!!

Noelle Page Guest
    150K for what, effects? Maybe....but I'm talking about the creepy vibe of the film, not sure that's something money can buy.

sorry mil not k obv.
    Last edited by Noelle Page; 02-08-2008 at 12:34 PM.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    150K for what, effects? Maybe....but I'm talking about the creepy vibe of the film, not sure that's something money can buy.
    Not being able to catch the book feeling has been a problem with alot of the SK movies. Sometimes it's been downright corny, what they've done to them.
    There are alot that could do with a proper remake.
    Everyone always says "Shouldn't have remade this/that/or the other film"
    With Kings stuff I think it's the opposite (Please go back and fix 'em)
    I hated "The Tommyknockers"

dovescry1999 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Not to come off like a pompous ass but I really don't know any other way to say it...

I've read every book he's ever written

The first book of Stephen King's I read was The Stand which I read when I was 15. It's still my fave. The second would have to be The Green Mile. Favorite short stories would include The Body, Autopsy Room Four and Apt Pupil. I love them all pretty much. Bachman books too.

King's writing is also of the everyman style and he's got one of the best imaginations we have working in fiction today, imo. In other words if he ever does pop by FAD, thanks Steve. Your engrossing work kept this kid out of even more trouble in high school and gave me something fun to read when I was grounded. My Mom thanks you too.

I think you're right. Stephen King is an excellent fit here.
    You're not pompus...
    I have read Everything up until The Girl who Knew Tom Gordon. By then ( it took long enough...) I got tired of the "N" word in every last one of his books...
    The first, and my fav is The Stand. I read that, and dropped the Dean Koontz books, and tore through evrything he wrote.
    I have to say, am waiting to see if the finally make "The Talisman". But I want to see "The Long Walk" on screen...

I did not like Gerald's Game, The TommyKnockers or the Regulators. One read, and that was enogh. But I used to read all of his books at least 3-4 times. Since,yu got something different every time.

P.S.- I finally gave all my hardcover, mint condition Stepehn King books to the Goodwill about 3 years ago. I only re read my tor up paperbacks, when I want a good story. It's like watching a good movie over, and over again...
    Last edited by dovescry1999; 02-08-2008 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Added something

No, not yet.

P.S.- I finally gave all my hardcover, mint condition Stepehn King books to the Goodwill about 3 years ago. I only re read my tor up paperbacks, when I want a good story. It's like watching a good movie over, and over again...
    I do that too.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    ...and a budget of at LEAST $150,000,000...!!!
    I wish someone would give me a budget like that

Mrs. Watson Guest
    "HE DIDN'T GET OUT OF THE COCKADOODIE CAR !!!!!

LMAO at that, Dovescry!

I think part of the problem with the movie adaptations, and this sounds very artsy fartsy, pretentious of me, but they miss the atmosphere you get with the books. They can only do so much backstory in the movies.

The first time I read Misery, it was soon after it came out and I was on a long flight. I involuntarily gasped at some of Crazy Ass Annie's amputations, alarming those seated around me. Good times, kids, good times!

Delores Claiborne is a wonderful dark little gem of a book. The movie is good, the book is excellent.

I don't think they can make a movie that is a s good as the imagination of the human mind. Especially in crazy ones such as mine.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Not being able to catch the book feeling has been a problem with alot of the SK movies. Sometimes it's been downright corny, what they've done to them.
    There are alot that could do with a proper remake.
    Everyone always says "Shouldn't have remade this/that/or the other film"
    With Kings stuff I think it's the opposite (Please go back and fix 'em)
    I hated "The Tommyknockers"
    I hated the film IT. They just ruined it. On the other hand, my young nieces and nephews loved it. I didn't see Tommyknockers. The Stand was ok, though. Some of the best films were Cujo, Silver Bullet, The Stand, the original Shining, and The Raft. I hope The Mist doesn't disappoint.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dovescry1999 View Post
    I would NEVER give away or sell ONE of my King hardcovers! I have every book, and each is a 1st edition, and all in mint condition, from "Carrie" through "Duma Key." I had an antique bookseller give me an 'auction' estimate for the entire collection (again, all first editions) and he came up with a fairly staggering number as a starting bid.
    I'll hang on to mine, thank you! Once he's gone, who knows what these things will go for ???

As far as movie adaptations, I can only think of a handful that even came close to capturing the "feel" of the Stephen King source material:
    • Carrie
    • Stand By Me
    • Misery
    • Dolores Claiborne
    • The Shawshank Redemption
    • The Green Mile
    TV adaptations: just one, "Salem's Lot," though the casting of David Soul in the lead was a really bad decision.
    ...and that's about it, the rest range from fairly bad to awful to just plain ridiculous!

Edit: Forgot to add the single most disappointing adaptation: "The Shining." I SO looked forward to my favorite King book being made into a movie by my favorite director, Stanley Kubrick. 28 years later, it still pisses me off. Apart from the photography, which was breathtaking, Kubrick absolutely savaged the book. Also, the epic miscasting of the two leads (Jack Nicholson, Shelley Duvall) still confounds me, they could not have picked two actors more UNlike the characters in the novel...
    Last edited by Jack-O-Lantern; 02-09-2008 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Add paragraph

endsleigh03 Guest
    Jack, that horrid "Shining" remake with Rebecca De Mornay was even worse, thought I'd choke over that one.

endsleigh03 Guest
    The TV movie "Riding the Bullet", those stupid fantasy sequences
    It was a good short story. Those are the sorts of things that have been done that really bug me.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Jack, that horrid "Shining" remake with Rebecca De Mornay was even worse, thought I'd choke over that one.
    You got that right! ...and why do they keep casting Stephen Weber in these things?? Can't they do any better than THAT ??? LOL...

Mrs. Watson Guest
    The best character in the movie version of The Shining was the hotel. Oh, and Scatman Cruthers was pretty cool, but only a small part. The rest? WOW, how incredibly baaaddd.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Watson View Post
    The best character in the movie version of The Shining was the hotel. Oh, and Scatman Cruthers was pretty cool, but only a small part. The rest? WOW, how incredibly baaaddd.
    The hotel did look pretty awesome. Was it a real place or just bits and pieces of other places where they filmed? Going to have to look it up.

OK, the interior shots and back of hotel were at a studio in England, exterior front in Oregon.
    Last edited by endsleigh03; 02-09-2008 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by secretsquirrel13 View Post
    The Stand...hands down....
    I have read and re read that book many times over (the unabridged version), and I find something different in it every time.
    Its a classic in my eyes...
    I feel the same way! I love The Stand and have read it more times than I can count. I am in the midst of having a house built and all my stuff is in storage, so I am looking forward to unpacking the box with The Stand in it and reading it again!!!

Lita Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tensecondstolove View Post
    OH I love this thread! Yes, longtime King fan here. I have a lot of his books on paperback which brings me to the question--there is an online fan readers club which if you sign up for it you get a King book each month in hardcover. Is anyone here a member and if so, do you have a link? I have wanted to join that foreverrrrr
    I tried to join that years ago. They cashed my dad's check and I never got a book. It took us a while to get a refund from them too.

I don't have a favorite Stephen King book. I love most of them!! I'm reading Duma Key right now. I absolutely hated The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. I can't believe I even finished it! I haven't read any of the Dark Tower books. I just hope there doesn't come a day when I pick up a Stephen King book only to throw it across the room. I did that with Anne Rice's book Interview with the Vampire. I love the movie, thought I'd read the book and ended up throwing it across the room. I haven't made a habit of re-reading books once I've finished them so I'd have to go back to a lot of them because I've forgotten a lot about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dovescry1999
    The first, and my fav is The Stand. I read that, and dropped the Dean Koontz books, and tore through evrything he wrote.
    I have to say, am waiting to see if the finally make "The Talisman". But I want to see "The Long Walk" on screen...

I did not like Gerald's Game, The TommyKnockers or the Regulators. One read, and that was enogh. But I used to read all of his books at least 3-4 times. Since,yu got something different every time.
    I used to read his books over and over too. I got the Stand when it first came out way back in 79 or 80. I was just a kid but I loved it. Read it again starting in 87 and fel in love with it. Was summer tradition for many years to reread it. Stopped reading Stephen King after Needful Things and havent read anything by him since. Heard he had some good stuff after that, but I am very selective in my reading now. Don't have all the time in the world anymore, what with work, partying, and FAD!
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

I did that with Anne Rice's book Interview with the Vampire. I love the movie, thought I'd read the book and ended up throwing it across the room.
    ARE YOU INSANE GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is one of the best deries of novels ever! Anne Rice can do NO wrong. I suggest you pick that book off the floor and start over from page one. CHOP CHOP. Ich knows what he is talking about!
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    ARE YOU INSANE GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is one of the best deries of novels ever! Anne Rice can do NO wrong. I suggest you pick that book off the floor and start over from page one. CHOP CHOP. Ich knows what he is talking about!
    LoL

Lita Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Sorry, Ichles, no can do. That was years ago, the book has gone on to Goodwill World. Duma Key is slow going, for me any way. After I finish it, I'm going to have to read something a little lighter.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    The hotel did look pretty awesome. Was it a real place or just bits and pieces of other places where they filmed? Going to have to look it up.

OK, the interior shots and back of hotel were at a studio in England, exterior front in Oregon.
    Here's some info on hotel locations from wiki.

King's inspiration for writing "The Shining" was the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, CO...and the miniseries did in fact use this hotel as an exterior location. The original Kubrick film utilized the Timberline Lodge @ Mt. Hood, near Portland, OR.

The Stanley Hotel

The Stanley Hotel is a 138-room Georgian hotel in Estes Park, Colorado. Located within sight of the Rocky Mountain National Park, the Stanley offers panoramic views of the Rockies. It was built in 1909 by Freelan O. Stanley of Stanley Steamer fame and catered to the rich and famous.[1] The hotel and its surrounding lands are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.[2]
    The Stanley has hosted many famous guests, including Unsinkable Molly Brown, John Philip Sousa, Theodore Roosevelt, the Emperor and Empress of Japan, and a variety of Hollywood personalities. The Stanley Hotel also hosted Stephen King, inspiring him to write The Shining. Contrary to information sometimes published King was living in Boulder at the time and did not actually write the novel at the hotel. Parts of the mini-series version of The Shining were filmed there, although it was not used for Kubrick's cinematic version.
    The Stanley Hotel shows the uncut R-rated version of Stanley Kubrick's The Shining on a continuous loop on Channel 60 on guest room televisions, alternating it with the ABC miniseries version of The Shining.

Guest Guest
    Just finished DUMA KEY...very well done!

pryncssdeb Guest
    Can't believe I just now found the SK thread... I've been under a rock!
    I'm a first edition collector also. I don't have them all, but I've got 90% of them. My fav is most definitely The Stand. I read it in ONE SITTING, ONE NIGHT when I was in about 8th grade. I've read it only that once, but it still resonates.

As far as movies goes, I'm trying to collect all of those too. I've got a special edition of Christine (I love old cars, and a fury is fab!) and an original vhs of Carrie.

The Green Mile was the closest to the book I've seen ever. I was so disappointed in Misery when she used the sledgehammer instead of whacking his feet off.. and I think they changed the part where she "mowed down" the cop...

The Golden Years is another fav in the movie category... I watched it in English class in high school, just BEFORE Romeo and Juliet!

The Tommyknockers was ok... Marg did a great job, and her appearance in TT is part what has me watching CSI, because she's just that damn good!

Needful Things was incredible. That movie gave me chills. I still look away when they show the rotty peeled. ugh

I could go on and on and on.. but I'll stop! lol.

Rose Red was good, too...

deb

toten44 Guest

Talking Stephen King

Hi Folks,does anyone know what kind of injuries he received after he was hit by a car and was the driver drunk?Man could you imagine being the person that ran over Stephen King!! YIKES.The book for me would be "Geralds Game" This book is really wierd!!

Here's a good interview with the King's about what they went through following the accident:

http://www.horrorking.com/interview6.html

toten44 Guest

Talking

Wow Some Chick thanks for the link!!

Shawver83 Guest
    What freaked me out was how the guy who hit King died a few months later at home, he was found dead in his bed. I think they finally determined it was some kind of accidental painkiller overdose, but just goes to show you--you don't mess with Stephen King!

endsleigh03 Guest
    Wish I had a copy of PS.
    I keep waiting to see if they will run the movie for Halloween season. They usually do.

DeadRinger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Not to come off like a pompous ass but I really don't know any other way to say it...

I've read every book he's ever written

The first book of Stephen King's I read was The Stand which I read when I was 15. It's still my fave. The second would have to be The Green Mile. Favorite short stories would include The Body, Autopsy Room Four and Apt Pupil. I love them all pretty much. Bachman books too.

King's writing is also of the everyman style and he's got one of the best imaginations we have working in fiction today, imo. In other words if he ever does pop by FAD, thanks Steve. Your engrossing work kept this kid out of even more trouble in high school and gave me something fun to read when I was grounded. My Mom thanks you too.

I think you're right. Stephen King is an excellent fit here.
    I love you. I too have read everything that Mr King has penned. I love Christine, Cujo, IT, Pet Sematary, Dolores Claiborne, Gerald's Game, Salem's Lot and From A Buick 8.

Has anyone else noticed that after the accident he had, his stories have taken a more psychological terror aspect (Dreamcatcher, Insomnia, Desperation) rather than out-and-out blood and gore?

DeadRinger Guest
    Oh, and I hated Lisey's Story, Cell and The Regulators.